• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,087 Views, 10,172 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,172
 4,087

PreviousChapters Next
891 - Developmental Editing

At the beginning of the end of the world, Lex Legis prayed to his goddess.

In front of him, the orb warped and contorted, its spherical shape dissolving. Long tendrils extended from it now, whipping around in wild motions before slowly firming up, joints and segments appearing as its limbs gained definition. They grew in size and length, spreading out until they surpassed what was left of the mountains in size.

But only its shape changed, with its form and coloration remaining the same. Nor were its properties altered, as anything the flailing limbs touched simply ceased to be. In an instant, half the valley was wiped out as the creature’s wild thrashing annihilated everything it came into contact with.

Nor were the things it didn’t touch spared.

All around it, the world began to unravel. Like a slow-motion version of its destructive touch, anything too close to the pitch black creature simply began to break down, collapsing from the outside in as they lost cohesion. The ground began to give way, earth and stone coming apart into gravel and clods of dirt before turning into a mixture of dust, which then became nothing at all. Trees lost their needles first, then their bark, before the wood inside deteriorated and became less than ash. The air hissed like a punctured balloon as the atmosphere began to fail. The pale light overhead dimmed.

And as the creature continued to grow, the area of unmaking expanded, the sheer size of the aperature causing reality to fail around it.

Everything was coming undone.

The one thing that endured was Lex...but only barely.

His undying body fought back against the diffused corrosion, skin and muscles fighting to restore themselves even as they began to crumble. Aristeia and divinity struggled to hold his soul together, barely keeping it whole against the absolute entropy that tried to dissolve it. Even his thoughts became murky, his awareness dimming as the erosive aura tried to eat away at all that he was.

And still, he continued to pray.

But it wasn’t desperation that made Lex silently chant a liturgy to the Night Mare. Nor were the words he mentally intoned any simple recitation of hymns or oaths.

They were a spell.

One which represented the very apex of sacerdotal thaumaturgy, a seamless blend of magic and devotion. The apex of the new suite of divine magic that the Night Mare had given him in the wake of his titan ascension, the spell that Lex cast now built on the connection between a worshiper and their god, reinforcing and widening the channel built by former’s faith and sustained by the latter’s grace.

In doing so, it bypassed everything standing between the caster and their god. Planar boundaries, interdictions, an earthly church to sustain a divine presence; the spell made them all irrelevant, as the magic turned its user into a conduit through which their deity’s power could flow, undiminished and without restraint.

It was a spell that allowed the caster to lay the groundwork for literal divine intervention.

It was a spell that asked for nothing less than a miracle.

As he felt the magic take effect, blue flames erupting from the barbed wire wrapped around his foreleg, Lex waited for the Night Mare’s answer.


Silence enveloped the Synedrium as all eyes turned toward the Night Mare.

Even The Author’s masked countenance was no longer directed toward the viewscreen, instead directing its terrible weight at the armored goddess.

The Night Mare herself returned none of their gazes, instead staring at Lex’s image with an intensity so great that everyone there could feel it.

Then she slowly raised a hoof, pointing it toward him-

And The Author’s tattered sleeve came down on her foreleg, stopping its rise before it could point toward Lex. “̴̧͕͗̾̎Ḭ̸̡̿͘͜ ̴͙̫̠̈f̵̡̳̥͌̄o̶̭̎r̸̡̧̪̓̈́b̶͕̯̿͝i̴̧̹̎̒̚d̴̪̃̕̚ ̷̲͘ͅi̶̭̊t̷͓̔.̸́̋͆͜”̷̲̦̰̽̍

The Night Mare’s eyes were solid red as she glared at the creator deity. “My champion calls out to me! I will not abandon him in his hour of need!”

“You were just saying that he could handle this on his own,” sneered Blaze. “Where did all that confidence go?”

“He’s using the resources that I gave him!” Her wings flaring, the Night Mare stared down the war goddess. “For me to respond to a formal petition, made through a spell I wanted him to have, is intercession, not interference!”

“That might just work,” murmured Luminace, glancing between the Night Mare and the viewscreen. “I don’t think that...whatever it is, is fully born yet. A massive infusion of divine power from a senior member of our pantheon might be enough-”

“̵̒͊̑ͅT̶̡̺̿͌͑ͅh̴͉̀̓è̶̖̏r̵̩̽͗͂è̶̗̳̥ ̵̝̾̿̈́w̵̬̋͋i̸̧͓̥͛l̵̝͈̆͘l̵̨͔͎̉̕ ̴͉̌b̴̗̟̘͗͝ȩ̵̨̹̃ ̵̫̊̉̄n̸̫̼̟̄ǒ̸̩̖̪̄ ̷̞̓ì̸̥n̶̼̒̄t̶͎̰̀̅̐ȩ̷͊͜r̷̠̘͍̽͗͋c̶̰̮̺̍́e̶̘̩̔̿s̸͇̋s̷̙̟̔̾̾i̴̗̼̿̍͜ơ̵̰̫̰ñ̵̙͙̖͠,̸̱͍̓̽͘”̴̹̺͈͑͊̉ declared The Author, still keeping the Night Mare from raising her hoof toward Lex. “̴̭̪̤̋Ḇ̶̖͎̏͝e̸̜̺̦͌͝͝t̸͓̙̝̏̍t̷̙͙͚̊̄e̴͎̜̜̓̄͛r̶̦̉̈ ̵̰̬̂́͂f̴͉͕̥͐̀̽o̸͎͑͑r̸̨͖̠̒ ̷̞͚̦̈́̊ḁ̶̃ ̸̛̖̠͇s̸̺͖̠̔t̴̬̾̕o̸͚͚̎͛͝r̸̦̰̈́y̴̖͖̘͐͝ ̴͚̹̗͛̎ṫ̶̹͋͠o̵̧̭̫̅̇̕ ̵͈͠c̸̳̈ȏ̵̭̯͙̔͝n̵̋̍͘͜c̵̟̥̊̉l̶̥̄͑́u̵͎̎̒̅d̸̻͍̂̈́͂ͅe̸̱̻̙̋ ̶̻͗n̴̘̦͠ą̶̬͊͝t̶̡͉̪̅̇u̵̥̞̚r̸̮̓̏ä̸̺̕l̷̥͍̈́̌̚͜l̶̫̟̄͛͑y̴̳͑̕ ̸̝̉͑ţ̸̎h̶͕͐̽̈́á̴̰͓̣̀n̷̡̗̘̿ ̸̬̥̍ͅt̸̞̽̓ò̴̧̼ ̴̧̻̎͗b̷̺͑͆ë̴̯͙́̄̓ ̶͙̅̉é̷̹̂x̴̢̫̝̾t̸̛̬̻̊̕ẹ̸̓͌̕n̶̳̲̫̄d̵͍̿̚ḙ̸̺̯̑̐̕d̶̙͔͒ ̶̲͕͘a̶̱͗͝r̸̞͛͋͑t̵͎̲͌̚ȉ̸̊͜f̷͓̐i̶͖͗͌c̴̤̘̗̈̕ĩ̴̢͙a̷̯̅̉ĺ̷̡͍͎l̸͎̗̻͗y̴͕̺̑̄̎.̶͕̦̣̄́”̵̣̾̾̈́

“We did all agree to let Lex fight without any help,” buzzed the Unspoken through his mosquito proboscis. “Besides, no one likes a deus ex machina. It’s predictable.”

“Our noninterference was with regard to Lex Legis’ fight with Kryonex, who’s since fled the field,” noted the Moon Princess.

“The elves would not object to our stepping in to prevent the destruction of this world,” agreed the Sun Queen. “Especially by a creature that’s a threat to us, as well as them.”

“I don’t know, I think a war story might be fun,” chuckled Blaze darkly. “You all might be afraid, but I’m eager to see what that inky bastard can do against a real god.”

Soft Whisper gave the war goddess a disapproving look. “And how many will have to die – to be destroyed, body and soul – so that you can have your fun?”

Kara said nothing, simply licking her lips as she gave the Night Mare a smoldering look.

And on the viewscreen, Lex stood still as the black limbs crashed around him, erasing more of the landscape even as his body started to decay, its restorative abilities being exceeded as the creature’s aura grew stronger, the fabric of the universe continuing to rot around it.

“Perhaps a compromise is in order,” proposed the Sun Queen. “If we send word to another pantheon – the griffons, perhaps – we could leave the decision up to them-”

̷̟̤̬̔̈“̷̤͝Y̷̰͎̌͆̚o̴̠̱͂u̸̳͠ ̷͉̂w̶͈̒ỉ̸̜͕l̷̦̰̽́̎l̷̩̾ ̷̪̺͊n̷̼͒o̶͉̗̿ͅt̵̰̃̿̃.̵̩̇͘̚”̶̞̖͋̌ The Author’s reprimand was unyielding. “̶̮̃L̴̼͊̊̓e̴͈̽͘x̸̺̦̑ ̶̝̌͗L̵̮͚̊͒̀e̴̹̰̋͒̇ͅg̷͆ͅị̸̔ṣ̶̖̐ ̷̮͋̓h̸͎̿a̶̤͂̀̈́s̸̞͛͒̃ ̶͈̜̇̀̄ͅt̶̙͉̀a̴̮͙͈͠ḱ̴͙e̴̙͖̔̒̚n̸͒͜ ̸̜̓ͅi̶̧͚̻̓̅́t̷͉͛ ̷̨̊͑͒ũ̶̦̫̩p̵͔̭̚o̵̧̨̘͒́ň̸̤̰̈́͠ ̸͇͕̀̈́h̵̢͑į̵͈͂̑ḿ̶̧s̴͈̲̟̈́͐ẹ̴̍l̴̫̥̾f̴̪̦̏ ̶̺͔͙̆ẗ̷̛̖̼̘́̒ö̷̗͎̬́͗ ̸͈̅̓͆b̶̯͌̍ë̴̠́̎͠ ̴̩̍â̶̢̜͎ṱ̸͘ ̵̪̬̱́t̵͉̕h̵̼͓̆e̸̡̧̦̅ ̵͚͚͎͌̀e̵̛͖̻̒͗p̶̢̦͂͠ī̶̻̩̋͠c̷̢̫͕̈̀ẻ̶̼̞̟n̴̜̰̰̅̍̆t̵̨͕͈́é̴͉̻͕r̸̗̺̈́̊ ̴̺̅̍̚o̴̓͜f̵̙͒̈́̚ ̶̲̐͋͐t̴͈̃̿̐h̸̨̡͘i̶͓͇͔͗s̸̥̬̾ ̴͈͑̓e̸͓̋̈v̴͖̟͑͗͗e̷̝̿͊̌ṅ̷͈t̴̘̜̘͒.̴̜̠̚ ̷̤̦͔̀̈̇H̶͙̊̔̚͜ę̷͕̓͑ ̷̣̠̓̊h̷͙̣͒̓á̷͎͈̔s̷̤̩͋͛͗ ̵̝́̕ḛ̸͕̟͛͝s̸͍̈́́͜͝ç̴̑̐h̵͚́̈̃ẽ̸͙̚w̵̖̫̺̔̎̉ė̴̻̩d̶̛̍̉ͅ ̴͓̈́̊a̵͚̦̞̅̒ḷ̵̲͆l̸̮͖̍́̆į̷͔̘̓̀̐e̷̱͕̪̓̀s̸̠͚̩̾̈̀,̷̨̜̹̒ ̸͎̩͒s̷̳͙͔̒ȋ̵̙͝d̴̡̊̈́̔e̴͖͕̼̅̿l̶̟̲̓͑i̶̛͙̬͖͋n̷̗̍̅̆e̸̠̓d̴̺͔̍̔̂ ̸̛͚̘͚͊̅h̵̯͎͊i̵̻̤̅̑̈s̶͍͎̤͂ ̶͉̍͌s̵͓̄̓ȩ̵̛̙̝̿̾r̸̰̀͒ͅv̸̡͇̿ȃ̷̤̇ṋ̵̲̤̓̃̚t̷̢͔̔s̵̗̰̈̀͝,̷̠̠̻̚ ̶͚̤͒̂a̷̩̎̈́ṅ̶͔͎͛ḓ̴̨̬̎̊̑ ̷̝̜͒͆̕à̵̡͇̬͆̎g̸̨̰͑͂́r̴̝͔̆͝ͅẻ̷̺̬e̶̟̐ď̶̙͛͘ ̴̦̖̍̔̚t̷̥͆̿̾ơ̵̧̯̲ ̴̖̼̯̀f̷̣͉̋a̸͕͇̯̓̌́c̶̨͓̀̋ĕ̸̞̰̇̆ ̴̰̩͛̿ȋ̷̱̰̓̓ͅt̸̙͚̮̀̐͘ ̶̨̣̞̿w̷͔͛i̴̼̇̀t̷̙̖̍̈h̶͓̎̽͠ơ̷̦̞u̵̡͛t̷͉̳̂̄̄ ̸̰͉͕̔̕ṭ̵̤͍̍͋h̵̹͍̻̀e̸̜͌ ̷͍͓̤̾s̷̗͆̏u̵̳̔͘͝ͅp̶͉͉̣̄ṕ̸̡̪ͅo̸͎̮̐͠r̶̘̂͆t̷͉͗̇ ̷̥̓͆o̶̤̖̗̽̉̚f̴̞̈͆͠ ̴̡̨̛̐̅ḧ̶̜̲́̚î̸̤̃s̷̪͓̀́̚ ̷̱̦̎̎̋ḡ̵̼͘o̵͍̫͑̈́̏d̴̬̥͑̅ḑ̶͗̕͘é̵̙š̷͖͙̘̒͒s̴̢̪͉͂̿.̴̞͒͆ ̶̖̱̫̄̂H̶̱̉e̷̹̲̾͒̚ ̸̯̌m̸͖͚͊a̵͕̯̯̐̿̀d̵͎̙̈́̍ě̴͙́̒ ̸͚̲̭̒t̵̫͕͊̀ḫ̷̪̯̌̿̂e̶̳̋́̋ ̴̧̙̞̀́d̴̗̙̱̿̕e̸͈͉̽̕͝c̶̱̒͆̅ḭ̶̾̏͝s̵͕̝̓͝ị̶̧̍o̷̝̎͝ņ̷̛̯̈̽ ̸̰̄͆͘ṫ̵̥̝̼̋̈o̷̭̻͌̆ ̵̘͐̅͠s̷̟̭͝t̷̥̪̾͑ͅȧ̸̳n̴̙̦̅̍d̸͍͓̅͑̓ ̴͍̋a̶͎͆̉͜͠ĺ̵̨̝̖̃̚ò̵͖̺̏̏n̷̛͔ẽ̴͔̗͈,̶̺̽̒ͅ ̸͖̥̥̂͊a̸͇̽͑͝n̵̲̜̞͐͒d̸͖͗̅ ̸̨͚͗ņ̷̤͎͗ō̸̘̇́ẅ̸̨͕́ ̴̤͈͂̕h̶̘͎͒́̋i̴̯͐̃͝s̷̱̏̕ ̵̢̩̱̇t̷͍͙̀à̸̹̊l̸̳̿̈ȩ̷̝̹͒ ̵̨̹̈̄̚ẅ̴͙́̐͝i̷̼̺̇͠l̸̢͐͑l̴̺͙̍͜ ̶̧͌̏ụ̴͆ṅ̷͉͚̆f̶̧̮̣̆̈́̓o̵̰̤̖͊ĺ̴͖͑d̴̢̪͈̑͝ ̴̱̐a̶̲̩͂c̷̮͐͘c̵̖̱̤̈͑̍o̷̧̙̺̅r̷̘̆d̷͕̠̓̔i̴̢̛̝͊n̵͕̦̙̐́̓g̷͇̼̟͒l̵̠̏̅͊ÿ̶̤̻̠́.̶̹̘̀͜͝”̸̺͍̪͆̌̌

“You’re wrong.”

“̴̤͙̳͊͆͊Ṭ̴͚͉̓̂h̶̢̏̌ͅi̴̟̰͔̒ṣ̴́͗ ̷͈͓̿͊̚i̴͚͗̎s̶̭̋ ̷̭̅̊̔t̷̻̜͠h̴͙̖͐͝ë̴̯̝͍ ̵̠͌͛f̷͙̻́a̴̙̺̦̎̏t̴͓͜͝e̵̙̘̎̿ ̵̫̆̽͝ĥ̵̜̂̐ę̵̯͂̑ ̴͈̭̲̉̚c̴͓͌ḣ̸̝̿͝ò̵͉̇s̸̹̏̽ḙ̸̍̋͘ ̵̤̘̥̇̑f̵̩̒ò̵̺̬͉̚r̸͉̚ ̸͚͈̽͛͐h̴̟̅̓ȋ̷͉͑m̸͖͂̎͒ś̴̬̪͌e̶̢̨̮̐l̴̘͖̓̈́f̸̝̿̚.̴̞͙̠̔”̵͖̓

“YOU’RE WRONG!” Batting The Author’s arm away, the Night Mare bared her teeth at the masked deity. “He sent those mares he allied with away so that they could watch over the mare he feels responsible for! He kept his servants out of the battle because he knew they would lose their lives, weakening him, if they participated! And when I told him that I would not be able to aid him in his fight, he accepted it – grudgingly, yes, but he accepted it! – when he had every right to rebuke me! And now, when he calls out to me, you would have me disregard my responsibility to him again?!”

“̸̯̌̈́̚Y̴̩͚̎͊o̶̥͆̈u̴̮͎̠͐r̵̜̯̖̆̔ ̴̛̮͚̳͆ŗ̴̜͔̀ẽ̵͙̭s̵̪̫̝̉p̵̞̍͛̓o̴̲̰̹͊̇n̵̼͌s̷̻͓̃̆̈́i̵̘̻̓̔̄b̸͚̐i̸̢̇͒l̴̪̣̫̈i̷͖̅͠t̸͕̱̐y̷͇̰̦̓̏ ̴̼̺̆͊͋i̸̫̿̉s̵͕̹̼̀̊ ̵͓̕̚ṯ̶͆̃ǫ̴̬̞́͝ ̸̬͈̪͛̈̕t̶̢̙͚͛̊͂ḩ̶̡̿́͑i̶̡̦̟͒s̴̭̿̾͒ ̷͚͈̤͌̇͊p̶̥̰̬̏̄ả̷͚͖n̷̜̗̆̉̕t̶̙̹̝̆͆͝ĥ̵͕̭̑̍e̶̢̛̿o̶͉͑̃̓ǹ̶̢̼̆̾,̵̪̟͉͐̈ ̴̟͇̔̒̆á̵͙̥̍̎ͅn̶̦̬̩͝d̸͇͚͊͌ ̵̰̆͗̀t̵̠͕̃̈́h̸̗̋͐i̸̥̇̕͝s̶̨̺͕̎̅̓ ̵̺̿̓̄p̸̠̞̐̇ả̵͍̀n̶̬̆t̵̫̓͂h̶̖̓͠e̷͚͍͑o̴̬̰͗̕n̴̛̹̬̋’̷͚̇͆́ṣ̷̎͗́ ̷͇͕͈̉͘i̸͚̯̋̍̕s̴̝̼̯̊ ̶̼̂̐̕ţ̶̢̜̊̏͂ǫ̴̰̈́ ̶̙̤̱͂m̶̨̻̫̎ẹ̵̒̆͐ͅ.̵͉͔̅̂͘͜”̸̼̑͛

“A responsibility that you betrayed when you ordered us to sit back and allow the seed of our own destruction to bloom!” howled the Night Mare as the other gods looked on. “To ignore my most faithful worshiper, who champions my faith and brought my religion to another world, in favor of allowing the monster that threatens us all to grow unchecked is a corruption of everything I stand for! And I will allow it NO LONGER!!!”

The Night Mare’s cry of fury echoed throughout the Synedrium, blue flames springing up around her in a ring, her figure obscured behind them.

But there was no mistaking how her image behind the azure glow – which seemed to drink in light rather than radiate it – was again holding one leg out toward the viewscreen.

And on the image there, the matching flames on the barbed wire surrounding Lex’s foreleg began to rise higher, their color deepening as they flowed down his claw and into the quill he held, the runes there lighting up.

“GO FORTH, MY CHAMPION, AND CONQUER!!!” roared the Night Mare. “IN MY NAME, HONOR THIS SACRAMENT, AND DOMINATE ALL WHO STAND IN YOUR WAY!!!”

“̴͖̄Y̴̬̺̮͑̔o̸̖̝̽ṳ̶̧̖̓͑̊ ̴̣̏̄͒ŵ̵̲͐i̶̠͒͐ḷ̵̡̬̈̑l̵͚̾́ ̴̙̦̪́̀̃n̵͙̱̄͘o̴̅̇͝ͅt̶͒̃̀͜ ̴̰͗́͐i̷͓̎̈ň̶̛̻̬͘ṯ̷̳̫̒̈ẻ̸̻̆͑r̷̻̞̓́̚f̵̳͇̼̈́͆ẽ̴̳̳̤̋r̷͎̅́ĕ̷̮̝͝!̶̠̀͛”̶̧̜͙̈̐

Arms spread wide, The Author didn’t seem to rush forward so much as glide, plunging into the cerulean flames without hesitation.

The Synedrium took on a sickly green pallor as the blue and yellow clashed, tremors shaking the entire realm as the other gods watching with wide-eyed expressions ranging from shocked to horrified to awestruck. Their servants fared little better, drawing their weapons and invoking spells, save only for the leather wing that the Night Mare had brought with her. He scuttled back, unable to do anything except shield his eyes from the divine battle taking place just a few feet in front of him.

Then blue fire sputtered and went out.

But what it revealed drew gasps from all of the assembled gods.

Roaring in defiance, the Night Mare thrashed as the tattered yellow fabric of The Author’s robes engulfed her, strips of cloth wrapping around the armored goddess of their own accord to bind her limbs together. Of whatever had been beneath the faded cloth before, there was no sign, as the frayed threads were all that remained to be seen of The Author...save only for the laughing/wailing mask, held aloft by several tendrils of jaundiced fibers which struggled to place it over the Night Mare’s face.

Looking aghast, Luminace took a step toward the Night Mare, but before she’d gone two steps both the Moon Princess and Euclase put themselves between her, causing the alicorn goddess to gape at them. “What are you doing?! We have to help her!”

“Forgive me, goddess, but I am duty-bound to place myself between you and danger,” murmured Euclase quietly.

The Moon Princess nodded solemnly. “Your servant is right. To interfere now would accomplish nothing except to make you share the Night Mare’s fate.”

“But-”

“Let her go,” laughed Blaze, her voice gleeful. “This is shaping up to be a great day for fights! First a titan versus a demigod, then that unmortal thing, and now a rebellion against The Author herself! Let’s keep it going!”

“No.” Instantly, the Sun Queen was in front of Blaze, preventing the war goddess from interfering with where the Night Mare was becoming progressively more entangled. “We cannot afford to expend our strength fighting amongst ourselves. Not when we might have to fight that anti-god in the next few minutes.”

“Oh, I’m not so sure about that,” panted Kara, a flushed look on her face as she watched the Night Mare’s losing battle, one hoof pointing distractedly as the viewscreen. “Look.”

Glancing at the image there, the other gods saw that the blue fire around Lex’s foreleg was continuing to glow brighter, more power flowing into his weapon.

The Unspoken’s snail eyes widened. “She’s not trying to break free!” he arfed, his voice that of a sealion. “Look! She’s still feeding more power to her titan!”

Sure enough, the Night Mare’s outstretched hoof was continuing to point toward the image of Lex, her struggles more focused on trying to keep her limb raised than on attempting to free herself. “TAKE POWER, AND NEVER SURRENDER IT! USE OTHERS, AND MAKE THEIR STRENGTH YOUR OWN! BOW TO NO ONE, AND SUBJUGATE EVERYONE!”

The yellow fabric had covered almost all of her now, pinning her wings to her sides and tying three of her legs down. Only the last one was still raised, and the struggle was growing progressively harder for her as more strands of cloth looped around it. “NO MERCY! NO WEAKNESS! AND NEVER FORGET THAT YOU ARE MY-”

Then the mask slammed down over her face.

Immediately, her voice was cut off, the silence deafening as she thrashed beneath the threads binding her. Even then, she kept her foreleg raised until the last few strands surrounded it, pulling it back down as her struggles became fainter. Thrashes became jerks, which became twitches, which became nothing, the goddess perfectly still in her yellow cocoon.

A moment later, the threads collapsed in on themselves, collapsing into an empty heap on the floor like a discarded pile of rags.

No one said anything, staring at the crumpled strands of thread, until the Unspoken spoke up.

“What just happened?”

“̵̰̉̚F̷̡͑o̶͕͗̈́̔r̸̮̳̈́͝ ̷̡̭̽̐̚h̶̻̒ḛ̷̕r̴̤̓̄ ̶͔̹́̀ȃ̸̤͝f̸͈̘͉͐̒̉f̷̲̖̯̈́r̷̫͆̍ö̴̠̗́n̷͙̟͆̐̕t̸̼̑é̶̱̻̱͒r̸̻̹͎͐͊ẙ̸̪̣̽,̴̥͙̃̐͗ ̶̖̂̆ṱ̴͑ͅh̵͖̦͛͌̀e̵̜̽͆̇ ̶̖͋͒N̴͖̦͋͌̄ȋ̷̧̟g̶̦̰͎̒͑h̷̨̳̉t̶͉̠͛̂ ̷̰͎͕̂M̷̢̮̹̀a̵͖͔͕͐͐r̵͔̍͋͊ȇ̸͕̈͝ ̷̭͓̲͑͗̎w̵͆̆ͅì̷̞l̴̫̦̈l̵̥̦̪͑ ̵̟͊̚͠b̵̺̻̂̓͘e̸̼̘̚ ̵͙̝̓ś̶̥̠͙̂ṕ̷͓̤̦̐̾ë̶̘͖ñ̷̼̐̈́d̶̛̹͔̻ï̵̛͖̈́n̷̲̰̿͑̕ǵ̸̥̇͘ ̷̥͇̝͑̏t̴͍̎̚ḯ̸̡̤͒̿m̵̈̆ͅȇ̷̯̈͋ ̵̫̀͝i̵̝̇̓̓ń̶̺̯̰ ̷̡̣͓́̓H̴͈̘̒͑a̴͎͆̍l̴͕͎̼͛͂͗i̴̡̠͑.̷̡̝̗̿”̷̡̙͐̽͝

Everyone jumped as The Author’s voice came from the pile of loose threads, which slowly rose upward, once again a single, tattered robe that hung upon a humanoid frame, the mask in its place in front of the hood.

The Sun Queen was the first to recover. “Hali? You mean, your realm?”

“̴̝̰̏̇̌Ĵ̷̤͖͙̏͝u̸̢͓̇́s̶̨̳̈́̀ṯ̸̎̾̓ ̸̙̑̑s̵͇̓̑̄o̸̢̲̖͆̌̉.̸̾͝ͅ ̵̰̤͠Ṣ̶͙̯̀̄h̶͇͈̥̚͘e̶̖̫̐̒̈́ ̷̩̜͔̐̉w̸̻̝͝ȉ̷̫̳͘l̷̟̫͇̿̕l̸̮̃ ̷͓̭̣͗̀͗b̴̢̻̂̉͝e̸̯͂͗ ̸̹̱̺̆͝s̵͍̯͖͆́h̶͙̻̲̃ǫ̴̎̓̀w̸͇̍ṉ̷̩̅̓͌ ̷̛͚t̸̰̐ḫ̸̽͜͝e̶͉͝ ̶̼͈̔̌̋e̵̻̮̟̊͝r̵͎̂r̷̟̝̒o̵̖͆ṛ̴̒̽͒ ̴̛̰̒o̷̝͎̕ͅf̷̖͐ ̸͔̯͖̓̏̎h̴̥̜̠̅́̄ȩ̴̣͛̎ȑ̸̨̺̠̒̕ ̴͉̊̃̓w̵̘̔̃̓a̶̳̬͌ȳ̶͚̬s̵̱̳̋̅͜,̶̞̼̗̈́̄͑ ̴̟́́a̷͍̅̊͛n̶̢͓̬͋̔d̵̡̤̙̏̎ ̴̞̜͒r̸̜̜̮̐͒e̵̪͒l̶͕̣͈̽̚ȅ̸̲å̴̡̺͔̐̆s̷̡̖̘͐͆̎e̴̻͍̮̊͝d̴̮͙̆͛ ̷̠̽̂o̶͛̃͜n̸̨͈̞̈́c̴̘̜̣͆e̸̝͊̑ ̶̢̰̇̇́I̸͈̲͕͛̿̏ ̷̨̣̽͝ȧ̸͘͜m̷̪̀͜ ̶̨̣̈́s̷̭̭͈͑á̵̩t̴͍͌ī̵̩̫͒̋s̷̢̻̺͝f̸̤̰͠i̸̟̣͂̽̏è̷̦̝̻̀d̶̙́̈ ̵̹̬͗̏ť̴̀͠ͅh̶͖̪̍a̵̱̭͘t̶̙̀̆ ̶͙̿͂s̸̝̮̈́h̴̗̭͔́e̶̙̺̫̔ ̶̻̳̣̄̿h̵͎͋̋ā̸̙͚͗s̶̭̝̾ ̷̳͎̈̒̽l̶̤̺̍͆̓e̸̝͎̔͝ả̴̼̀̚r̵͍͝n̸̬͐͠e̵̝̣̎̉͘ḓ̴̞̉̔̓ͅ ̷̣̗̀̑̂h̶̝̝̯́é̸̠͇͆͘r̷͓̭̄ ̵̤͂ḷ̸̰̈́̒͘ȩ̷̝̞̃͑̀s̵͚̅s̴̞͙̣̎͆o̵̘̜͐n̴̛̼̩͔.̴̳̔̂͘”̴̬͐

Again, Luminace looked ready to protest, but didn’t have a chance as The Author turned their attention back to the viewscreen.

“̸̺̞̓̊́N̸͖̣͇͌ȫ̸͎͍̪͘ẁ̷̢̳͌̂͜,̷̛̮͉̜̋ ̵̢̠̿̋̽l̴̡̼͒e̵̗͙͐̃͝ť̷̝͇͕͌̈́’̵̱͙̍s̶̮̒ ̴̦́s̵̢̒̏͠ȩ̴͍̱̓e̵̼͐ ̸̫̼͓͌h̶͙̤̄ö̸̘́̓̂ẁ̶̧͠ ̷͎̙̿̀b̷̰̂͋a̷̧͔̦͒ḏ̶̡͇̀l̴̖̥͝ẙ̵̺̥ ̴̡̥̔̈́s̶̠̤̏́̌h̵̺͔͛̇͜ḙ̶̰̖̚ ̸̣̍c̶̮͚̆̊͠h̵̝̜͕͑ą̵̬̽n̶̢̼͐̈́ĝ̶͕̘e̵̱̔̒d̵̼̤͆ ̶͔͆̾ț̷̢͗͋h̶̺͓̄͘͜ĕ̷̙ ̷̥͉̿s̶̗͚̀̉̎t̶̠̖̭͗̋ǫ̵͆r̵͔̥̃ͅy̸̩̼͑̋.̷̢̥̫̋”̵̢̝̇́͘

The Moon Princess hesitated for a moment, before plunging ahead. “You aren’t going to try and, er, edit her changes?”

“̷̣͖̏̇̊F̶̥͆͘u̴͓̖̲̿̄͊r̵͎̙͑͛t̸̢̀h̸̞̜́e̷̢̒̇̀r̴͈̦̎ ̶̡̩͐i̷̙̰͓͛n̵̩̖̒t̴̟̟̐e̵͍̾̈͂͜r̸͉͛f̵̣̄͂̓ȇ̸̼̾͘r̷̹̕e̴͎̝̠̍̏͂n̸̒͜c̵̲̊̆̄ẽ̴̡̥͉̔͝ ̷̰͈̼̈͊̔w̷͓̋̃o̶͍̪̔ư̵̭̺̈́̂ľ̸͎̥̍d̴̜̈́ ̸͕̑ó̵̖̤̆n̸͖͑l̵̬̮̒͊͝y̶̖͂͝͠ ̴̮͚̂̽̂w̶̢͖̭͛̓̈ơ̴̦͐͋͜r̸̬͔̊ṣ̷́͝e̵̺͆̐n̵̖̺͒̇ ̵̧͈͇̊t̶͚̔͒h̴̖͔̓i̵̧͔̇͜͠ņ̶̤͔͋̎g̸̩̭̈́ͅs̶̼͉̎.̴̬̲͑̃͝ ̸̢̉T̶̮̯̟̈́͊h̷͇̼̱͝e̷̹͓̎ ̵̞͕̤̌͐t̶͈̝̒ä̷͕̺̦̾ļ̴͓͍͒̕e̷̯͚̜͋͌ ̶̹̭̆̀í̵̳̙̾s̷͇̟̻̆͛͠ ̷̩̲͛w̴̪͋̊h̴͎̗͐a̷̻̓ẗ̶̯́̒̒ ̵̗̹̥̋͌ï̷̛̝̤ͅt̶͚͛͋ ̶̛̗̑͝i̷͚̚s̶͉̿͝ ̷̩͆n̷̯̠̽ó̶̩w̸͉̳͋̑ͅ”̴̭͂ – the mask turned to look at each of the other gods in turn – “̷̯̃̈́ų̴̳̇n̷̼̄̾l̸͔͎̄̉̉e̸͖̩̞̾͗͋s̵̗͝ś̷̖͍͚̈́ ̷͈͚̮̓͗̎a̶̗̣̘͂͝n̸͖̤͛̕y̶̥̭͐͠ ̶̰͌̐̈o̴͈͎̒͑̅f̴̦͝ ̴̛̛̱̭̯͑y̸̬̼̪͗͆o̶͙͍̫̍u̵͎͐̋͠ ̷̮̏̒w̵͎͌i̴̯̿͗̆ͅs̷͔̔̒h̴̳͙̋̓ ̶̬͔̯́t̸͙͔͋͂̀ͅȍ̸͇̋̆ ̴͇̂̊ṁ̵̰͂̆a̵̡̛̻͋k̴̙̐̎̈́e̸͓̣͍̾̅ ̶̡̆̓͘a̵̱̔̏̓l̵̪̈́͛t̸̞̀e̸̬͉̓̀͐r̴̨̧̲͊̅a̶͍̫͊͑̚͜t̷̖̺́̍ĩ̶̪̠̉̕͜o̸̧͔͆͠ņ̷͖́̈́s̷̯͛͠ ̵̤̘͐́͝ͅo̶̹̊͗f̵͈̱̥́͝ ̴̥͔̋͒y̸̩̋͐ȍ̸̼̟ṷ̵͊̉̚r̴̮̽͝ ̵͖̈́ǫ̸̪̟̉ẅ̷̟ṋ̴̜̈́?̸̢̭̲̊”̴̭̗̺́

Slowly, each god shook their head, though Blaze muttered curses under her breath as she did.

The Author ignored it, turning back to the viewscreen.

“̸̜͎̣͌T̷̨̜͑h̴̳̏ͅȅ̵̪̺̎́n̸̩͈̲̑ ̸̲͂l̴͈̹̽̍è̶͙̫̤t̸̛̹͌͠ ̷̣͈̳͊u̵͎͖̓͝s̴̝̃͜͝ ̸̝͊s̷͉͛̉e̴̥͗̂ḙ̶̤̮͘ ̸̬͕͌̽́h̴̭͈͆̂õ̸̬̜̺̚w̶̹͆ ̵̳͠Ḻ̷̹̂e̴̙̹̕x̶͖͍̑ ̶̦͈́̚ͅL̴̮̫̻̚e̴̙͔̔͋͘ğ̵͖̦̾î̶͚̋̕s̷̟̺̉̿ͅ ̸̙̿̍͝f̶̛͇̺̓ą̸͚͍́̔ṙ̴͖̥̉̄e̷̘̣͖̒̏̒ș̵̩̰̇́ ̸̰͑͑n̶͉̟̎o̸̤̣̎̏̍͜w̶̛͖͚̎.̸̡̜̘̓̎”̶̡̲̱́̓͝

Author's Note:

The Night Mare defies The Author to help Lex, and pays a severe price for it!

Did she give him what he needs in order to win against the emerging anti-god? Or is even a miracle not enough to bring Lex victory?

PreviousChapters Next