• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,087 Views, 10,172 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,172
 4,087

PreviousChapters Next
770 - Bound to Dream

Ever since mortals learned of the gods, we have struggled to understand the true nature of the divine.

Sages and philosophers, poets and prognosticators, arcanists and elders. All of these – to say nothing of those who spend their lives in service to higher powers – have put forward explanations and insights in an effort to deepen our understanding of the elevated existences that are known as the gods. But for all of these efforts, performed by so many for so long, we still have achieved only the most rudimentary comprehension of what these lofty beings truly are, let alone what they’re capable of.

Those kernels of wisdom which we have managed to grasp are few enough that they can easily be reiterated here. It is well known that, despite being so far beyond us, gods covet the worship of mortal beings. The reason for this is widely held to be that mortal reverence is the manna which sustains them, though debate continues as to whether or not worship is the only potential source of divine sustenance.

Another truth is that the gods grant power to those who dedicate themselves to their will. Today, the common form that this beneficence takes is the form of clerical spells, though other graces – such as a paladin’s unflagging courage or a warpriest’s ability to heal with a touch – abound among various religious orders, to say nothing of tales which speak of even greater blessings granted to individuals of particular favor.

While detractors point to supernatural abilities gained by those who worship no gods – or who attribute their powers to otherworldly entities of lesser stature such as spirits, demons, elementals, or similar creatures – these can be easily dismissed as the work of charlatans, users of arcane and other non-divine magic, or are simply misinterpretations of lesser powers gained from equally lesser sources. A pact reached with some devil or trickster fey is bound to have some sort of beneficial aspect to it (how else would such creatures continue to confound mortals into trafficking with them otherwise?), but the wise and the learned will recognize the difference between these and true godly boons.

Perhaps the most revelatory knowledge that mortals have gained as to the nature of the gods, however, is that their will surpasses what we think of as the immutable laws of nature. While magic, technology, and even more esoteric disciplines can achieve great wonders, these are all powers which function within the vast architecture that we understand as Creation; divinities, however, make alterations to that architecture directly. To put it another way, mortals manipulate the rules of the universe, while gods transcend them.

Much of this last point remains unclear. Are gods only able to bend reality within their particular areas of sovereignty, or do they have a wider ability to mold the universe to their liking? Does doing so require some sort of effort or strain on their part? What happens if multiple gods attempt to make contested changes to the same aspect of existence?

The answers to these questions might be beyond our understanding – perhaps beyond even our ability to understand – but if we do possess the capacity to comprehend this awesome power, it might be through a little-known discipline, known only to a few, which seemingly recreates that power on a far smaller and more limited scale. This microcosm, seemingly practiced only among isolated mystics, antisocial hermits, and the occasional bedlamite, is known by several names. Among those few annals which make reference to it, labels such as “oneiric manifestation” or “somniacreativity” are used. However, this treatise will avail itself of the lay moniker so often used when discussing this power.

Dreambinding.

For those not familiar with the term, “dreambinding” is the label given to those rare individuals with the power to pull objects from their dreams into the waking world. Beyond that, there is little that can be said with certainty about this ability, simply because of its extreme rarity. Indeed, it would be easy to dismiss such a power altogether – much like with those who claim to have divine spells and blessings despite worshiping no gods – as simply chicanery, or perhaps a more conventional type of magic disguised as something unfamiliar (many types of spells, it should be noted, can produce objects seemingly out of nowhere, and bring creatures from distant realms to the caster’s side).

But where simple prestidigitation can produce a hidden item in a manner that fools the eye, and a spell can conjure simple materials or teleport extant things from a great distance, dreambinding far surpasses such activities. For a dreambinder, almost anything which can be imagined can be brought forward from imagination into reality. Whereas mighty feats of magic might create anything from a simple repast to an entire building, the spells that do these are highly limited in their function, able only to make that which is detailed in their intricate designs. Not so the dreambinder, who can pull forward anything which he chooses, so long as he’s capable of imagining it.

Or at least, that’s the impression among those who know of this particular ability; that those who possess it can bring forward anything they wish from thought to reality. But while the breadth of what a dreambinder may conjure is vast indeed, there are myriad shortcomings involved in the discipline. Indeed, one could persuasively argue that dreambinding is defined as much by what it can’t do as what it can, otherwise its practitioners would sit on a perch as lofty as that of the gods whom they emulate, which even a casual examination of the world around us demonstrates is not the case.

Hence, a proper investigation must be performed, whereby all prejudices and preconceptions are put aside so that the proper questions might be asked: what is dreambinding, how does it work, and how can it help us understand the nature of the gods?

The simple answer is that, as our reality is malleable to the gods, dreams are similarly pliable to mortals. In this vein, dreams could be considered lesser realities – or perhaps a lesser grade of reality – than the waking world. Few ever learn to consciously control their nocturnal visions, of course, but nearly all cultures have stories of those who remain lucid even while asleep. To them, the world of dreams is a playground of the mind, to be shaped at will, perhaps similar to how the gods view the world that we blithely label as real.

What dreambinders do is take this activity to a new level, “binding” a piece of their dreams, granting it stability in form and function, and bring it with them when they awaken. Once brought forth, there is no functional difference between a dreambound item and an ordinary one...with a single, crucial exception: living creatures, though they can be manifested alongside inanimate objects, are not truly alive. Though they act however the dreambinder visualized, they inevitably lack a soul of their own, and cannot be given one...regardless of how dearly the dreamer might wish to do so.

As sages and scholars are currently unable to come to a consensus on whether the gods create mortal souls or simply guide them into the world from some primal, unknown source, it cannot be speculated as to whether or not there’s a clue as to the nature of the gods in this limit.

Beyond this, there are few hard facts that can be established with regard to the nature and limits of dreambinding. One practitioner of this discipline might only be able to bring something forth for a timespan measuring in minutes, while others can maintain them for hours, days, or even indefinitely. Some might only be able to generate crude objects of little power, while others can bring forth magical objects and or even creatures of incredible might, even if not a spellcaster themselves (though surely, being in command of powerful magic would have to make it easier to visualize a desired magic item). And while most can only bring forth dreambound materials during the transition from sleep to wakefulness, there is at least one known instance of a dreambinder able to bring forth items in a “waking dream,” which is to say that they were conscious and aware while activating this power.

The most mysterious aspect of this power, however, is precisely how it functions. What is it that allows for certain individuals to quite literally make their dreams come true, where so many others cannot? Even the dreambinders themselves claim not to know, which means that – unless there’s a grand conspiracy among their ranks to hide the truth, one which spans vast gulfs of time and space – the true nature of dreambinding has less to do with personal ability than with some other, more fundamental factor.

We can likely rule out magical aptitude, as the majority of known dreambinders not only lack spellcasting ability, but don’t even have a wizard or sorcerer in their bloodline. The psychic (or psionic) disciplines practiced in certain cultures might present an alternative theory, but a casual examination of those eldritch practices offers little to suggest an advanced focus on manipulating dreams. Certain creatures, such as the baku and night hags, have innate ability to manipulate dreams, but attributing dreambinding to them is also a poor explanation; most such creatures are, if not overtly hostile to mortals, unconcerned with them. Likewise, few are the dreambinders who’ve contacted such beings (or want to, for that matter).

There is one alternative theory, however, and it brings this study back around to where it began: the gods.

Perhaps dreambinding is a gift given to a select few by those exalted beings whom mortals fear and revere. After all, if we accept that dreambinding is akin to how gods manipulate the universe – albeit far more limited in scope – then perhaps it makes sense that such a thing is a gift from them. Who else would be able to create a facsimile of such incredible power than those who wield that power?

If so, then it leaves open the question of why they would give dreambinding to certain individuals – quite often ones of seemingly no importance, and who offer them no worship – while others, often their own devoted servants, are seemingly left bereft of such incredible power. Of course, such a question could be (and has been) asked of seemingly everything the gods do. Many oracles find themselves confronted with visions and revelations despite never having asked for divine insight. Would the power to bind dreams be any different, in that account?

Alternatively, if we accept that gods can only manipulate reality in accordance with their areas of control, only gods of dreams – a relatively scarce portfolio among the various pantheons of known divinities – can offer this blessing. If that’s the case, then perhaps the number of dreambinders is greater than we know, with the faithful of such deities counting many among their ranks.

This seems unlikely, however, as the few known dreambinders lack a connection to a god of dreams. Moreover, any temple able to grant such powers would surely advertise it far and wide in order to draw more adherents to their god’s faith. Then again, most religions can conclusively demonstrate that ecclesiastical studies will result in gaining spells that heals the sick, feeds the hungry, and safeguards the weak, and yet there are many who can’t find it within themselves to be more than a lay follower of a particular church, if that. So perhaps it’s unsurprising that, if this power is the province of a particular faith, it’s not one that’s widely touted.

Ultimately, the nature of dreambinding – like the gods themselves – remains shrouded in mystery and uncertainty, with more questions than answers, and what answers are available only raising more questions.

To that end, it is my hope that this treatise serves as an adequate primer for any who would examine this phenomenon in more detail. While another chronicler would perhaps wish anyone undertaking such a venture good luck, I’m afraid that I cannot do so. My only wish, in having penned this inquiry, is that it is sufficient to satisfy the curiosity of the clerics of the Moon Princess. While I can appreciate their willingness to trade coin for knowledge on this subject, I cannot bear to rewrite this again, as each prior draft has been turned down as being “insufficiently academic” in its examination of dreambinding.

I can only hope that this time they’ll find it acceptable, as I must have the promised payment if I’m to hire anyone to save my daughter.

I wish that my little girl had never come into such power. I wish I had done a better job of convincing her to hide it. But everyone who grows up poor dreams of a better life, especially when they’re young. It couldn’t be helped that, when she woke up, the nice things she’d imagined were there beside her.

And when she lost her mother, it was inevitable that she dreamed of her coming back.

I don’t blame my neighbors for how they reacted. If someone else’s dead wife suddenly returned without explanation, I would have been beside myself with dread and suspicion also, especially when the local priest confirmed that she wasn’t truly alive. But even so, to call a small child a witch and a demon...to have those slavers kidnap her because they were afraid of confronting her themselves...

No, I can’t afford to be blinded by such thoughts now. All that matters is finding my daughter, and for that, I need money. Once I hire a rescue team, they’ll get her back, and everything will be alright...

But if there are any gods out there who watch over dreambinders, then I implore you, please...please protect my little girl...

Losing her mother almost broke me. I can’t bear to lose her too.


“Massster...”

Without glancing up from the scroll that he was reading, Sanguine Disposition answered the sibilant voice of his apprentice. “What is it, Ssethregora?”

From the doorway of his library, the dark naga – a twelve-foot-long snake with ebony scales and a humanoid face – bowed its head. “A guard isss at the gatesss, claiming that there’sss a sssituation which requiresss your attention. A commotion beyond the wallsss.”

That was enough to earn a glance from the vampire. “Eigengrau is under attack?”

“No, Massster. But the creaturesss that live in the wildsss are sssuddenly making a terrible din, and the sssoundsss of fighting are everywhere.”

A frown replacing his usual smirk, the leather wing slowly rolled the scroll back up, taking care to treat it gently. Although it was wrapped in preservation magic, it was still several centuries old, and remained one of the most comprehensive studies into dreambinding that he knew of.

That, and it was also a fascinating bit of history surrounding the early life of one of the most famous figures in the Night Mare’s religion, a dreambinding mare who had been one of the key figures in the Noctem; the reformation of the goddess’s church that had seen her go from being merely a goddess of monsters and terrors that lurked in the dark – and who most ponies had placated rather than truly worshiped – to being a goddess who encouraged ponies to master those fears, using them as crucibles to grow stronger.

Of course, she’d also caused a holy war in the process, declaring the Night Mare to be the goddess of dreams and the night, which was the domain of the goddess known as the Moon Princess. The hostility between the two churches had gone through multiple cycles of active conflict and passive aggression; it hadn’t been until Iliana had united the disparate tribes under her banner that the strife had ended. Even today, enmity still existed between the two religions.

But the history less was less interesting to Sanguine Disposition than what it meant for today. If dreambinding was the power that Lex had almost killed him with earlier, then the implication was-

“Massster...?”

Sighing inwardly, Sanguine Disposition nodded. “Yes, yes, let’s go see what’s happening.”

Laying the scroll aside, he strode from the library, his apprentice following him out.

Author's Note:

Sanguine Disposition researches Lex's new power, even as the creatures of Darkest Night grow agitated!

What is the significance of Lex's dreambinding? And will it be enough to get him and Akna back to their bodies in time?

PreviousChapters Next