• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,084 Views, 10,169 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,169
 4,084

PreviousChapters Next
273 - What Is and What Was

When Lex woke up, he was covered in mares.

That wasn’t too unusual for him lately. He’d grown accustomed to Sonata being next to him when he woke up, and Nosey was a recent addition, one which he still had very mixed feelings about. But Aria laying her head on his middle was new, and Lex frowned as he realized that between the three of them, he was pinned down.

For a moment he considered simply jolting them awake, but discarded that idea a moment later. He knew how unpleasant that was from personal experience, and had no desire to inflict it on any of them. Sonata deserved better treatment than that, it might interfere with Nosey’s convalescence, and Aria…he still wasn’t sure what the Night Mare had meant by “nurturing her interest” in him, but the last thing he wanted was her running off again, and she couldn’t do that if she was asleep.

With his course of action decided, Lex turned to the next issue: how to extract himself from the press of bodies without disturbing them. The next-best idea was to change into shadow-form and move through the bench, but that idea was ruled out as well. Too many times in the last few days he’d been forced into a fight while critically low on magic, and although he had no reason to believe that there was another battle in his immediate future, that wasn’t a situation he was eager to repeat, especially since he hadn’t found enough time to renew his full complement of thaumaturgic spells. Power needed to be conserved wherever possible.

Instead, Lex silently engaged his horn. As gently as he could, he lifted Aria’s head and moved it so she was resting on Nosey instead of him. Both stirred for a moment, but fortunately neither woke. Extracting his tail from under Sonata was touch-and-go for a few moments, but he managed to free it without disturbing her slumber. Finally free, he gingerly stepped over Aria as he climbed down from the bench, ignoring the persistent ache in his muscles as he made his way to the door, grabbing his saddlebags on the way.

By the time he’d exited the train station, Lex had put all thoughts of the girls out of his mind, instead turning his attention to what needed to be done today. A glance east showed that the sun had just barely cleared the mountains, but when he glanced in the opposite direction Lex saw that the camp was already up and about. Notably, a few ponies were milling about near the train station, eyeing the small mountain of food…at least until they saw him, at which point they smiled and shuffled forward. Although he knew he wasn’t the most perceptive of ponies, even Lex could figure out what they wanted.

“There will not be any breakfast,” he announced flatly. For a moment he wondered if he should have woken Sonata up after all, but it was too late to change his mind now. “This food needs to be carefully rationed until a more stable supply can be established. Until it is, provisions will be passed out at noon, and not before.”

He let that sink in, watching as the smiles drooped and the assembled ponies spoke to each other. Were they upset by his decision, or were they bearing their disappointment stoically? With no idea, he plunged ahead. “Until then, I’ve placed an alarm on what’s here,” he swung a hoof to indicate the supplies. “If you hear a loud ringing noise, it means that someone is stealing food. In that case, such an individual should be apprehended and brought to me for judgment. The same goes if you see any telekinetic auras around anything there.” It was unfortunate, but there was nothing his alarm spell could do about unicorn telekinesis. Such a thing would have been immediately obvious if it had been done last night, of course, but the glowing aura it manifested would be far less noticeable in the daylight.

It irked him to have to rely on community policing instead of being able to produce a solution with his magic, but it couldn’t be helped. Even if his force field spell had been large enough to contain the gigantic pile of food and drink, it didn’t last long enough to provide worthwhile security, its duration being measured in minutes rather than hours. Ultimately, making a public declaration as a deterrent was the best that he could do; hopefully, it would be enough.

When no one objected or asked any questions, Lex turned back to the food, slowly lifting a box of oranges and placing them a short distance away, outside of the area of his alarm spell. Then he did the same for a tank of milk. Then a bundle of oats. Minutes passed as he kept moving foodstuffs, making a second, much smaller pile of food. When he judged it sufficient, he pointed to it as he looked back at the crowd. “This is for special-needs ponies whose circumstances require immediate attention,” he declared. “The sick, the elderly, the very young, and any other ponies that need immediate nutrition are welcome to what’s here.” Again he paused, his gaze sweeping over the crowd. “Those are the only ones who are. If I hear that someone whose health didn’t require it took some of the food that I’ve set aside here, rest assured that individual will answer to me!” The last four words came out in a snarl, his eyes glowing green-and-purple as he uttered them.

The crowd was deathly silent in the wake of his speech. Satisfied that he’d made his point, Lex stepped down from the platform, and the massed ponies parted instantly to make way for him. None took so much as a step toward the second pile of food that he’d made.


The trip across the camp had taxed his muscles enough that Lex had been forced to stop and catch his breath several times before reaching the rows of outpatient tents. Fortunately, most of the ponies that had been awake had been clustered around the train station in hopes of a morning meal, so there were few around to see just how badly he was struggling. It had been arduous enough that he had seriously considered slipping into shadow-form, despite his earlier vow to conserve his magic where at all possible. Only his stubborn refusal to give in to something as petty as mere physical discomfort had kept him from doing so.

That, and he’d be spending hours in shadow-form anyway when he went back into Vanhoover. Purchasing those supplies had cost him almost all of the funds he’d managed to acquire from the local bank. More was necessary, and delays were intolerable. He needed to get the ponies from the local farming communities to resume coming here to sell what they’d grown, and they’d expect to be paid for it when they did. That would continue to reduce the burden on the immediate food supply, and let him jumpstart the local economy again, starting Vanhoover on the road to recovery.

But it’s only a start, he knew. I still need to contact Cloudsdale and have them deliver emergency rainclouds before a drought takes hold. We’ll need much more in the way of supplies in order to start making Vanhoover’s buildings habitable again. A loan needs to be negotiated with Las Pegasus in order to pay for it all. None of it would be easy, but at least now that everypony wasn’t in imminent danger it could be done.

That was notwithstanding one of the survivors he’d brought in yesterday. That particular pony had been rushed into emergency surgery almost as soon as the doctors had examined him, and the procedure was still going on now. With none of the medical ponies he’d spoken to a few minutes ago being able to forecast whether or not their patient would pull through, Lex had been able to do nothing but grit his teeth, shove his worry down, and move on to the things he could affect.

That had brought him to where he was now, looking over the half-dug mass grave as he returned Severance to his back, the scythe having nothing to report. That, at least, had been welcome news, as had the revelation that the ponies he’d assigned to dig the hole had apparently worked throughout the night, operating in shifts to the light of nearby campfires. The bad news was that, for all their diligence, the work was still going too slow; in Lex’s estimation, it would take another few days at the very least before they’d have it wide enough and deep enough to hold the remains of the ghouls.

At least they found plenty of gems in the meantime, he sighed mentally as he glanced at the pile of precious stones that the diggers had unearthed. He’d need to look them over later; with any luck, some of them would be sufficient for storing spells in. As for the rest…

“It was on a dig just like this one. I’d just unearthed some crystal or other, and I’d tossed it out of the basement I’d been asked to excavate-”

“It was an amethyst, sweetheart, and you were digging a sewer pipeline.”

“Hey now, who’s telling this story, you or me? So there I am, getting rid of yet another shiny rock, when I hear this voice telling me to be more careful. So I look up, thinking that I’d almost hit somepony, and that’s when I see the most beautiful mare in the world looking down at me. All I can do is stare up at her as she starts reading me the riot act about how I’d almost broken that poor piece of feldspar or whatever it was…”

The details of the story had varied with each telling, but the sequence of events had always been the same. It had gotten to the point that by the time he’d been three years old Lex had heard the tale of how his parents had met so often that he’d grown bored with it. Now he would have given almost anything to hear it again.

His father, Big Dig, had loved telling stories almost as much as he’d loved digging holes. The latter had been his destiny, as his cutie mark of a shovel pressing into the ground had shown, while the former had been his hobby. It didn’t matter if it was the story of how he’d met his wife or his own father’s stories about living through the chaos of Discord’s brief but terrifying reign or old tales about Rockhoof, the so-called greatest digger who’d ever lived.

His mother, Jewelia, had seemed to like her husband’s stories to nearly the same degree that she’d liked the gems that he always brought her back after a dig. A lapidary with a cutie mark showing three gemstones of red, blue, and yellow, she’d never failed to embellish Big Dig’s tales with details or corrections or encouraging questions. There had been no question that they’d loved each other deeply, a love surpassed only by their love for their son, despite how little they’d understood him…or he them…

Shaking his head, Lex turned away from the hole, heading back toward the camp as he pushed the unwanted memories away. He could have tailored his thoughts so that digging holes or finding gemstones wouldn’t have reminded him of his parents, of course; manipulating associations of memory was a trick he’d long since mastered. But he’d never been able to bring himself to do so. No matter how much it hurt to be continually reminded that he’d never see his parents again, the prospect of cutting them out of his thoughts – of losing a little more of them, even if it was just an associated memory – hurt even more.

But I have the strength to bear it, he told himself silently. Memories. Nightmares. Monsters. I have what it takes to withstand them all. He had to, otherwise all the hardships and suffering and misery he’d endured up until now would have been meaningless, and a life without meaning was a life that no one would recognize as being worth living.

Certainly not Lex Legis himself.

Author's Note:

As Lex thinks over what to do next, his thoughts turn toward the past.

Will everything he's gone through help him build a better future? Or is he headed towards a breaking point?

PreviousChapters Next