• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,087 Views, 10,172 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,172
 4,087

PreviousChapters Next
836 - Operational Parameters

You actually protected your enemy? Against a holy relic of your own faith?

Nenet couldn’t keep the disbelief out of her mental voice, and a small part of her wondered if her new master – she couldn’t help but think of him that way, in what was probably a side-effect of the bonding process – would be angry at her for doubting him.

Not that he could have done much if he was, since she’d already flown over fifty miles away from him, heading back toward Mother’s lair.

After hours in the air, her wings were starting to ache. But it was a different sensation from the lingering pain that Grisela had so often inflicted on her, being a satisfying sense of exertion rather than the stinging agony of broken bones that hadn’t healed correctly. Now, with each flap, she could feel the air being pushed down in heavy gusts, propelling her powerfully through the sky in a way that she’d never had the chance to appreciate before.

It would have been thrilling if not for the fact that she was on her way to a terrifying confrontation.

That was another reason she didn’t want to anger her new owner. He’d spent the last few hours telling her more about himself, and while Nenet found the tales of his exploits captivating, it had also served to distract her from the enormity of what she was about to do.

Fortunately, he didn’t seem to be inclined to stop talking now. Princess Luna had already been defeated, which voided any justification for continuing hostilities, replied Lex, not sounding the least upset by her skeptical tone. Then again, according to what he’d told her so far, it was entirely possible that he didn’t even hear it, since he apparently had some sort of communication disorder. Nor was Severance empowered to pass judgment on her for her crimes; as the only legitimate authority in Equestria, that right belongs to me alone. Given that Severance had already slain a pony without my leave, extreme measures were necessary to prevent it from doing so again.

That’s incredible, Master, she replied, clenching her paws to her chest.

In another context the gesture might have seemed to connote romance, but for Nenet it was far more practical, serving to keep the rune-embedded quill – Belligerence, Lex had said its name was – held firmly in her cleavage.

It wasn’t an ideal way to carry it, she knew, but it had been the only method that worked.

After having dropped it no less than three times during her flight, she’d finally conceded that she still wasn’t used to using her new, much larger paws for fine manipulation. Carrying it in her mouth hadn’t been a better option; clenching her teeth around the oversized quill had quickly left her jaw aching. And her hideous tail didn’t have the flexibility necessary to coil around it.

Nor had she been willing to use the telekinesis that she’d gained as a result of her transformation. Although she’d been overjoyed at first to find that she was now capable of manipulating of objects using her thoughts alone, her joy had been dampened by the realization that doing so not only made her eyes glow in a way identical to her master’s, but also put a matching luminous aura around whatever object she was utilizing.

From her height, and against the dull grey of the clouds, the colorful display was just asking for Mother – or Paska – to see her coming. Nor did Nenet dare fly inside the clouds themselves, certain she would have gotten lost if she had. And an invisible light source still creates visible light, she reminded herself, recalling all of the magic that Mother had made her learn. So I need to save that spell for later.

Just like from the joy of flying, that brought a smile to her lips.

Finally, she could finally use the spells she’d spent so long learning!

In her previous form, she’d only had a tiny amount of magic, but all of it had been ingrained and unchangeable. She’d been able to comprehend any sort of language, written or spoken, including those used in spell construction. She’d been able to see into the magical spectrum for as long as she could remember. She’d even had a few – very, very few – weak offensive and defensive powers, since Mother hadn’t wanted her spellbook to be completely helpless.

Nenet had never dared using any of it to try and lash out at Grisela, however, knowing that it would have made her sister’s torments infinitely worse. Even trying to protect herself had made Grisela furious, leaving Nenet with no choice except to whimper and beg while her sister had worked her over...all while thinking of the spells she’d learned that could have alleviated her suffering, in her brain but completely beyond her reach.

No longer.

True, she couldn’t use very many spells in a given day now, and the ones she could cast weren’t very powerful. But it was still far and away more than she’d been capable of before, and even if the stronger spells she’d learned were beyond what she could cast, she still knew a dizzying number of weaker ones, leaving her brimming with excitement so great that it was almost enough to make her forget about the mark of shame that was her tail.

It helped that her innate magic – her “spell-like abilities,” as the biological magic she was infused with were called – had increased as well, far exceeding what she’d previously had. All gynosphinxes had a suite of magical powers they could use, and even if her tail was polluted, her magical heritage was completely intact. Those abilities weren’t suited for combat, since sphinxes were creatures of lore and learning, but could be very helpful in avoiding a fight in the first place.

That was something that Nenet planned to take full advantage of in the near future.

Of course, if things did come down to a fight...then she’d probably have to use the third form of magic that her master had given her.

It was far and away the strongest power she’d gained as a result of the soul-bond, easily outstripping her new body’s spell-like abilities and the meager spellcasting prowess that she’d been given. Which was good, because if she had to confront Mother to get Master’s spine back...if she couldn’t find some way to take it without being detected...then that power would be the only thing that could potentially save her.

That and the pony to whom she’d given her soul.

Master, I’m almost there, she reported as she spotted a small, forested dell nestled between two mountains. It had absolutely nothing to distinguish it from the surrounding countryside, except that the snowfall over the valley was too perfect. Its uniform white coating was evenly distributed across the pine trees, with no sign of the wind that would have periodically blown some of the branches clear or dislodged needles and loose boughs. Not even the vaguest remnants of animal tracks could be seen across the clear patches of land. And there wasn’t even the slightest sign of wildlife, with no birds landing amidst the trees or rabbits darting across the glades.

Still, as far as illusions went, it was an impressive one, Nenet knew. If she hadn’t been so familiar with it, she felt sure it would have fooled her. I’m not sure if the warding extends past the illusion. Can you still see through my eyes?

For now, came Lex’s answer. Are you certain that will cut off my ability to share your senses?

Yes, she replied immediately, trying to fight off the feeling of isolation that answer brought with it. Despite how new their connection was, the idea that her master would be able to see and hear everything she saw and heard on such an unnerving mission had been reassuring, and Nenet hated being so sure that Mother’s wards would prevent that. Our telepathy won’t be affected, and you’ll still be able to sense my emotions and if I’m hurt, but other than that...

Other than that, everything will be suppressed, finished Lex. I won’t be able to use your senses, intuit your distance and direction from me, or teleport you back.

The teleportation block is a separate effect, added Nenet quickly as she swooped down toward the edge of the illusory trees, more for her own benefit than her master’s. Talking gave her something to think about besides how nervous she was. Mother set that up so that anyone who tried to use magic to get in or out would be redirected into an oubliette she set up inside. I don’t think it’s ever been used, but she taught me the spell.

But not the passkey.

...no, answered Nenet with a wince. Because she’d learned the anti-teleport ward, she knew its functionality forward and backward, including that it allowed for an exception to be built into the effect at the time the spell was cast, allowing teleportation to work if the specified passkey was used.

But that passkey could have been almost anything that the caster wanted. A word. A gesture. A type of item. And while Nenet felt certain that Mother would have made use of that clause – she’d never pass up such a strong advantage – she hadn’t been there when Mother had cast the spell, and so wasn’t sure what the passkey was.

Then once you retrieve my vertebrae, you’ll need to retreat beyond the barrier before I can summon you back, concluded Lex.

Nenet fought down the urge to wince at the pronouncement, landing a few hundred yards from the edge of the illusion, shifting Belligerence so she was carrying it over her shoulder, one paw draped across the quill awkwardly.

Getting outside of the warding was the most dangerous part of the entire plan. If Mother was using Lex’s spine – having been touched by Hvitdod’s curse – as the focus for the artifact she was building, then all of her attention would be focused on it. There’d be no way to steal it except by grabbing it right in front of her, and hoping that she’d be shocked enough to give Nenet time to turn and run. After that, everything came down to whether or not she’d be able to get clear so that Lex could teleport her out before Mother caught her.

Taking a deep breath as she forced herself not to think about what would happen if that happened, Nenet slowly cast her invisibility spell, letting the rush of casting a spell – of actually putting the knowledge she’d been given to use – help to steady her nerves. A moment later, she felt the magic activate, laughing in amazement as she looked down and saw that her paws were transparent to her own sight now. Being a full gynosphinx, she could see through an invisibility spell without even trying, but that didn't change the visceral thrill of knowing that she'd actually cast a spell!

Master, I promise I won’t let you down! The assurance was for her own sake more than his, trying to hold onto the rush coursing through her. I’ll recover your spine, make sure not to lose Belligerence, and absolutely get back outside the barrier successfully!

Unfortunately, his response didn’t help to sustain her nervous excitement. Just remember to exercise caution. If you die, then I have no method by which to teleport my vertebrae back, so don’t entertain any notion of laying down your life for my sake.

There was a particularly bitter tone in his voice for some reason, but Nenet didn’t pay attention to it as she swallowed, suddenly apprehensive again. R-right.

And don’t hesitate to sacrifice Belligerence if you need to.

That was enough to catch her by surprise. Really? But...but it’s such a powerful weapon-

Which matters not at all if keeping it costs either of us our lives. I gave you Belligerence because I wanted to increase your chances of success, not because I wanted you to divide your attention between the quill and my spine. I threw away Severance to secure Luna’s safety; I have no compunctions about losing Belligerence to secure yours.

Intellectually, Nenet knew that Lex was just being pragmatic. If the alternative was death, giving up a weapon in order to stay alive was simply prudent. Even so, a warm feeling spread through her then, mentally replaying the last part of what he’d said...that she was more valuable to him than the weapon that had slain Hvitdod.

When was the last time anyone had told her that they valued her that much?

When was the last time anyone had told her that they valued her at all?

Even Mother had only ever cared about her as a spellbook. And while Lex was relying on her now to secure his own survival, it didn’t change the fact that he was willing to make sacrifices to help her, as opposed to using her and then throwing her away. It was more consideration than anyone else had ever shown her in her life, and Nenet could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks now.

It’s that pony goddess’s blessing. The one Master warned me about, she reminded herself, giving her head a shake. That’s all.

But knowing that didn’t change how light she felt as she padded toward the edge of the illusion and plunged through it.

Author's Note:

Nenet begins her mission to recover Lex's spine!

What will happen when she confronts her mysterious mother at last? And what's this unknown magic that she's relying on if it turns into a fight?

PreviousChapters Next