• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,066 Views, 10,156 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,156
 4,066

PreviousChapters Next
226 - Mission Report

You really can’t do anything right, can you?

Lex didn’t react to his shadow’s taunt, save to let his eyes flick towards the thing. It was currently falling perpendicular to the light from the sun, which was nearing the horizon. For a moment he found himself wondering again what had caused it to assist him during his fight with Xiriel, but his curiosity faded away after a few seconds, unsustainable in the face of the overwhelming languor he felt right then.

He could hear Sonata addressing the crowd of ponies on the other side of the medical tent, but he couldn’t bring himself to pay attention to what she was saying. He knew it was important, knew that lives could very well depend on getting everypony to try and fortify this place as much as possible…but at the moment it was out of his hooves. Sonata would either succeed or fail, and then he’d have to deal with it either way. But right at this moment there was nothing for him to do.

That was what Sonata had wanted, of course. She’d flat-out told him to rest, just like House Call had, not understanding that rest was the last thing he wanted right now. He had almost called her back when she’d gone to address everypony, wanting desperately for her to stay there with him, for her warmth and her caring and her love to push back the despondency that had engulfed him in the wake of his anger. But he hadn’t been able to bring himself to do so, knowing that she had an important job to do. Instead, all he’d been able to do was utter a brief statement of gratitude for the moment of respite she’d given him, wondering if she knew just how deeply he’d meant it. But that moment was over now…

Now, there was nothing left to distract him. No half-hearted theories to cling to, no enemies to fight, no injured ponies to attend to or instructions to give. Now there was nothing to do but sit there and face the overwhelming, awful truth.

It’s your fault they died.

Cloudbank. Thermal Draft. C. Shells. Sandbar. Turbo. Block Party as well. Lex sat there and silently recited their names, remembering each of their faces, those ponies that had died because he had been neither strong enough nor smart enough to protect them. No matter that the circumstances had been extreme, or that he had been completely taken in by Xiriel’s deceptions; he had taken on the mantle of responsibility for all of the ponies here, and there was no excuse for not being up to the task.

You were supposed to be better than the princesses, whispered his tulpa silently, spurred on by his despair. After all your talk about their incompetence, what have you accomplished? Right now your people are hungry, but all you’re doing is putting them to work. Nosey was brutalized right in front of you. And there are six ponies dead under your watch. Seven, really, since you couldn’t save Cozy’s husband either. The words were laced with scorn, despite having no voice. You should go crawling back to Celestia and Luna and admit that you’re unfit to govern.

Lex shuddered at the verbal assault, and it was only with extreme difficulty that he tried to look for something else to focus on. His shadow was rarely this loquacious; for it to be so unrestrained in its mockery, even without his interacting with it, meant that he needed to think about something else. Anything else. Doing nothing was no longer viable, there had to be something-

Glancing to the side, Lex saw Severance – still hovering where Sonata had directed it – and quickly took action before he had time to think better of it. “Severance, come here.”

For a moment he didn’t think the scythe would obey, but it slowly began to float toward him despite the altercation they’d had. Despite its seeming calm, Lex still grasped it in his telekinesis when it had halved the distance between them. Reassured when he didn’t feel it struggle against his grip, he pulled it closer, until it was right in front of him. After a tense moment, he decided that the weapon wasn’t going to attack him over what had happened. Probably because it doesn’t want to endanger the Night Mare’s investment in me, he thought cynically. But that was fine. Although he’d lost his temper, Lex felt no remorse for how he’d treated the weapon. Severance’s failure to protect the others, as well as its indifference about what had happened, meant that it had gotten what it deserved.

Instead, Lex turned his attention back to what they had been discussing before he’d lost control of his emotions. “Finish your report,” he ordered brusquely. When the weapon hesitated to respond, he continued. “Everypony was killed. What happened then?”

Another second passed, and then Severance began speaking again. The scythe talked about how it had flown at Nosey then, intent on cutting her down – Lex’s eyes narrowed imperceptibly at the weapon’s choice of words, indicating that it hadn’t recognized that the blonde mare was being possessed even if it had known something was wrong – only for her to get the drop on it, sending it elsewhere. Despite Severance’s words being entirely psychic in their communication, Lex’s ears perked up at its description of what happened next, his misery forgotten.

Xiriel’s attack had sent Severance to another plane of existence, and the denizens there had detected its presence immediately and attacked it aggressively. Although the scythe’s description of the battle it had fought was presented in crisp, clinical terms, it still painted a vivid picture. It described hordes of lesser creatures flinging themselves at it, engaging it with almost fanatical zeal despite how easily it cut them down. Undeterred by the ineffectiveness of their massed assault, they managed to keep it busy long enough for some of the plane’s more powerful residents to notice the commotion, coming to join the fray. By the end of the battle, Severance had apparently engaged with a creature whose power – if the scythe wasn’t exaggerating – eclipsed even Xiriel’s. Disturbingly, Severance apparently hadn’t won that last encounter. Instead, it had fought its last foe to an impasse, using the moment when its enemy had paused to regroup to cut the planar border and return to Equestria. Even then, that had only barely worked, its enemy having engaged magic to try and prevent its escape; the scythe had made it out, but it hadn’t returned directly to Vanhoover as it had intended, reappearing on the other side of the Unicorn Mountains. It had taken it almost a day to physically travel back.

Lex was silent for a long moment after Severance finished, brooding over what he’d just been told. That Severance was able to traverse the planes under its own power was new information, a stark reminder that he still didn’t know everything the weapon was capable of. But there was another aspect to the story that concerned him more. “Could those monsters have followed you here?” he asked grimly, already imagining the worst-case scenario. “Do they have magic that can determine your location?”

The scythe’s answer was the one he least wanted to hear: it didn’t know. That was enough to make Lex bite his lip, cursing softly as he tried to figure out how to respond to this latest unwelcome revelation. Severance was in his grasp now, which meant that if anyone tried to scry on it the anti-scrying spell he kept on his person should have activated, but that offered little in the way of reassurance. Severance had been back in Equestria for almost a full day already, and besides, his spell hadn’t prevented Aria’s tracking spell from locating him, which meant that the protection it offered was less than perfect. If those creatures came to Equestria…

He’d just have to deal with it, then. For all that he’d bungled things with Xiriel, he’d still managed to uncover and slay the creature. He’d do the same to any of those angels that Severance had fought if they came here.

His thoughts were interrupted as Severance requested that he fill it in as to what had happened during its absence. For a moment Lex considered denying it, but he recognized that the impulse was petty, and pushed it aside. Instead, he gave the scythe the same curt recitation of facts that it had given him, telling it how he had gone into Vanhoover to look for the missing ponies before returning and confronting the devil that had possessed Nosey, slaying it.

Saying that reminded Lex that there was one other thing he could be doing: examining the scroll that had been in Xiriel’s possession. Releasing the scythe, Lex telekinetically dug through his saddlebag, pulling the scroll-tube out a moment later. Eyeing it warily, he called upon his circlet again, peering at the multiple magical auras around it. Again, he saw the necromantic magic that was contained there…but now that he could properly analyze it, there myriad other magical auras surrounding the case as well, all of considerable power, some of them incredibly so.

Abjuration magic, which was designed to protect, was there. So was divination, which was the type of magic that gathered information. Transmutation was also present, as was at least one aura of enchantment magic, and illusion magic as well. Evocation, with its direct manipulation of energy was likewise to be found. That’s almost every type of magical aura that this is capable of detecting, Lex realized. Only conjuration magic, the magic that was designed specifically to interact with other planes, was missing…something which was understandable, given that Xiriel had been from the planes itself. After all, Lex knew that it was laborious to store spells in a physical medium, whether it was a scroll or a gem. Xiriel wouldn’t have wanted to embed magic that it could utilize on its own.

Despite the prospect of so much new magic at his hooves, however, Lex regarded the scroll critically. So far there wasn’t anything to indicate that it was trapped or otherwise protected against tampering, but his circlet’s ability to view the magical spectrum was far from the most definitive method for checking such things. One of those auras might very well be an active spell effect, rather than an embedded one, he knew, just waiting to go off if someone other than a designated user unrolled it.

Even so, the temptation was there. New knowledge had long been one of the extremely rare sources of joy in Lex’s life, particularly where magic was concerned. More than that, however, was the fact that the spells in the scroll might be of vital help in combating the ghoul threat. Besides, there was no guarantee that the scroll was trapped; Xiriel had hidden it inside its own body, and the thing had been arrogant enough to believe that no one would ever take it from it. Maybe…maybe a risk was what was called for now. No one was around, besides Severance, and it was strong enough that any potential traps were surely no threat to it. If no one else stood to be hurt-

You always hurt others no matter what you do, came the voiceless words of his tulpa. The rebuke made Lex’s ears fold back, sighing as he lowered the scroll and reluctantly placed it back in his saddlebag. Despite the venom in the words, they weren’t wrong. It wasn’t certain that the ghouls were an imminent threat, which meant that examining the scroll any further without taking the proper precautions was the height of foolishness. Waiting was the more responsible action, and he needed to act responsibly, lest he end up having more lives weighing on his conscience.

Hearing that Sonata was still speaking, Lex found himself with nothing to do again. Frowning at the prospect, he only belatedly realized that he felt terrible. Despite his wounds having been transferred to Xiriel, he still felt sore all over from how badly he’d overextended himself, and the mild dizziness that he’d been fighting off was already starting to come back. More than that, although he’d woken up from an entire day’s worth of sleep a few hours ago, the contents of those last few hours had utterly depleted him. But even so, he had no desire to sleep…not when he could guess what torments would await him in his dreams. Instead…instead he’d just lie down for a moment. That way he’d be able to tell Sonata that he’d been resting when she came back.

Sinking to the ground, Lex cast a weary glance at Severance. “Stay alert for…anything that isn’t a pony,” he muttered. The weapon gave no response except to turn its blade away from him, which he took to be a sign of acquiescence. Now he just had to rest for a short time without falling asleep. He’d think about something else, rather than the ponies he’d let down…

Turning his thoughts toward the projected costs of rebuilding Vanhoover, Lex let the numbers and calculations fill his thoughts. From there he let those segue into what he’d do for the city’s economy, which in turn led to the legal reforms he planned to implement. All of them were thoughts he’d had before, to the point where they were like books that he’d long since memorized, turning the familiar computations and forecasts over in his mind soothingly. He didn’t even notice when he laid his head down, his eyes fluttering shut as exhaustion finally overtook him.

His dreams were filled with blue fire.

Author's Note:

Severance tells Lex about the angels it fought, while he ponders what's on the scroll he took from Xiriel.

What's the significance of the blue fire in his dreams, though? (Hint: take a look back at Chapter 43.)

PreviousChapters Next