• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,031 Views, 10,118 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,118
 4,031

PreviousChapters Next
269 - Toward, Not Away

Aisle let out a deep sigh of relief as he felt the train begin to move.

Even then, his heart slowed only a little, half-expecting that any moment it would suddenly screech to a halt, followed by a furious Lex throwing open the door to the shipping car that they’d snuck onto. But as the minutes went by and nothing disrupted the gentle rhythm of the train speeding over the tracks, it began to sink in that such a thing wasn’t going to happen. “We did it,” Aisle murmured incredulously. “We made it out.”

They almost hadn’t. During the final rush of preparation, when Lex had been readying those sick ponies for transport, Aisle had overheard some other ponies talking. Apparently several groups of ponies, desperate to return to civilization, had approached the train crew about riding back with them. When told that there wasn’t any room in the passenger car set aside for the crew, they’d made it plain that they’d be fine with riding back in an empty shipping car instead.

The train crew had apparently deferred at that, telling them to talk to Lex, since by that point it was clear to the train crew that the dour wizard was running things. Unfortunately, Lex had flatly refused to let anypony else board the train. “He’s worried about the risk,” had been the explanation one pegasus – a green stallion with a frisbee cutie mark – had given to an elderly mare who looked like his mother. Fortunately, he hadn’t overheard Aisle eavesdropping. “He says that if the worst-case scenario happens and some of the patients turn into ghouls, having more ponies on board will put more lives at risk.”

“Horse apples!” had been the old mare’s response. “We’d be in a different car altogether, and there’s no way those undead ponies’d be able to get to us! ‘Sides, isn’t that why he’s sending those other ponies, to be guards?” She’d harrumphed then, stomping a hoof. “We should just go slip on board while he’s not looking, I’ll tell you what.”

“Yeah, well, given that he’s rescued us, fed us, and almost died protecting us, you’ll excuse me if I don’t think that ignoring his judgment is the best idea.” The stallion had ushered his mother away at that point, his tone of voice making it clear that there’d be no attempt to sneak onto the train. The few other ponies Aisle had heard discussing that idea had gone largely in the same direction, though for some of them it had been fear of what Lex would do if they defied him that kept them from making the attempt, rather than appreciation.

Of course, Aisle had been nervous about that as well, but for once that hadn’t been enough to dissuade him. After their disastrous attempt to leave Vanhoover on hoof, it had become clear that this train was their only chance at leaving the city, especially with Pillowcase’s body in tow. He hadn’t even needed to discuss it with Cozy; a shared look had been all they needed to recognize each other’s resolve. They were getting on that train, no matter what.

Doing so had been surprisingly easy, which hadn’t contributed to Aisle’s peace of mind. They’d simply slipped away from the rest of the ponies, carrying Pillowcase’s body between them, and circled around toward the back of the train. Fortunately, it had been hauling a large number of cars, and with the sun having gone down and everypony focused on preparing a single car near the front of the procession for carrying the sick newcomers, there hadn’t been anyone paying attention to the ones in the back. The end result had been that they’d been able to quietly slide open the car door and slip inside without anypony being the wiser for it.

Of course, they’d both known better than to stop there. Once inside, they’d secured Pillow’s body and covered it with a discarded tarp that was still in the car. It was only then that they’d engaged in the most harrowing part of their escape: one of them needed to go back out and swipe some food for the journey. And since Cozy, as a crystal pony, was much too conspicuous, that meant it was his job.

Cozy had told him that he didn’t need to, of course, telling him that their love for each other would sustain them through this last trial, but despite the fact that he really didn’t want to, Aisle had insisted. Three days without food or water – and that was if the train wasn’t delayed – would leave them half-dead by the time they got to Canterlot, let alone the Crystal Empire, and that wasn’t acceptable. Cozy, his fiancé, had suffered enough; she wouldn’t be made to do so again. With that thought burning inside him, Aisle had slipped back out of the train by himself, pushing his fears down as he headed back to the train station, making sure to take a circuitous route so it wouldn’t look like he was approaching from someplace he wasn’t supposed to be.

Of course, his anxieties had come right back once he’d reached the area where the food was being kept. All of a sudden this hadn’t felt like one of those heroic stories where the protagonist braved danger in order to save his lady-love. Instead, it was one of those tragedies where the poor dupe at the center of the tale did something stupid and lost everything. We were already in the train car, he’d berated himself. All we had to do was lay low, and we would have been home free! But I just had to show off for my mare…

The food had been piled up on the edge of the platform, which was still off-limits to everypony except Lex, Sonata, and the train crew. It was, Aisle had been forced to admit, a simple yet brilliant way of keeping the excess provisions protected: not only was it near Lex at all times, but it was in plain view of everypony even though they couldn’t go near it. Anyone who hopped up onto the platform would be instantly visible to everyone else, since most of the camp ponies were still milling around and watching the preparations despite the late hour, and Aisle was absolutely certain that they’d raise an alarm if they caught sight of someone else filching food.

He hadn’t spent more than a minute or two observing the pile of food, so close and yet so far out of reach, from the safety of the crowd, but it had felt like far longer. His first instinct had been to listen to what his anxiety was telling him, and slink away before he managed to bring himself to Lex’s attention. But every time he tried to move his hooves, to head back to the car at the back of the train, he found himself unable to move. Why?! he’d cried internally. Why can’t I ever do anything for her?!

Aisle had no illusions about how much he’d been able to help Cozy during their time together. He’d provided her with as much emotional support as he’d been able to, both before and after they’d become lovers, but that was as far as it went. His attempt to spare her from Lex’s wrath when she’d refused to use her powers at his direction had failed utterly, resulting in both of them being cursed, and he’d been absolutely useless when they’d tried to leave the city on hoof. Even figuring out how to talk Aria out of turning them in when they’d first set out had amounted to exactly nothing. When all was said and done, he’d been little more than a shoulder for her to cry on; actually improving her life in a tangible manner had consistently been beyond him…and now it would be again.

Standing there, paralyzed as what he needed to do warred with what he knew he should do, Aisle had tried to find a solution. Some plan, some course of action that would let him acquire some food for Cozy without getting himself caught. For the briefest instant, he wondered if there was somepony else nearby who hadn’t finished eating their allotted food. If there was, and he could find a way to take- No! He’d actually shaken his head then, as though trying to physically ward the thought away. I won’t do something like that!

But with that possibility ruled out, no other answer came to him. It was in that moment, when Aisle’s frustration and desperation and helplessness reached their peak, that he tried something he’d never considered before. Something that he’d seen Cozy do many times, but had never fully understood until that moment.

He closed his eyes and prayed.

He didn’t have a holy symbol the way Cozy did. He hadn’t memorized any of the liturgies or chants that he’d heard her recite on multiple occasions. He wasn’t even sure that he’d ever so much as said her goddess’s name before then. But in his thoughts he'd called out to her then, begging Lashtada to help him help Cozy. Please! he’d pleaded. I just need a chance! Just one chance! He’d clenched his jaw as hard as he could, concentrating with all of his might on trying to get Lashtada to hear him. Please let me do this for her!

He waited like that for several seconds, and when nothing happened he finally let out the breath he’d unconsciously started holding, his head hanging as he opened his eyes. He hadn’t been sure what he’d expected the goddess to do – presuming that she’d heard him and been willing to respond – but his guesses had ranged from her granting him magical spells to telepathically coaching him on what to do. But instead there’d been no response at all.

It had been discouraging enough that he’d almost laughed at himself, his resolve fading along with his hopes. What had he expected? Cozy was an expert at this, and she’d still been in all sorts of horrible situations where Lashtada hadn’t been able to fix everything. What had made him think that he’d suddenly be given the power to get by somepony as strong as Lex Legis? I should just go back, he decided, ears folding down dispiritedly as he’d glanced one more time at the unreachable stack of provis-

Only to see Lex leaving.

Aisle’s jaw had dropped then, not believing what he was seeing. But sure enough, Lex was walking towards the car that they’d been retrofitting, Sonata at his side. Aisle could just barely overhear him saying something to her about…hanging lanterns? What did-, no, it didn’t matter; this was his chance!

He’d almost run onto the platform then, taking an awkward half-step before he’d forced himself to stop. Calm down, Produce Aisle, he’d told himself as he let out a nervous breath. Calm down. Even if Lex and Sonata are gone, everypony will see you if you go up there. You need to think. You need a plan. How can you go up onto the station platform without it looking suspic-

That had been when somepony had bumped into him from the side, and a subdued-sounding voice had muttered, “Move it.”

A glance to his right revealed the owner of the voice: a blue unicorn mare with a blonde mane and tail, wearing a train uniform. She looked fairly ill, as though she’d eaten something that didn’t completely agree with her, and was stumbling as she made her way back to the train, giving him an unfriendly glare as he looked at her. “What’re you looking at?” she’d growled, though it would have been more intimidating if she hadn’t seemed like she was going to throw up at any moment.

“Noth-, let me help!” The words had flown out of Aisle’s mouth so fast he’d almost bit his tongue, moving to assist her.

She’d protested, but only weakly, and in a moment he’d been helping her up onto the platform, walking her over to the sole passenger car right behind the engine. Despite the fact that she’d disappeared into it without so much as a thank you, Aisle hadn’t been upset. Quite the contrary, his head had been spinning. Lashtada did this! Of that, he felt absolutely certain. She made this happen!

His heart had been pounding in his chest as he’d exited the platform, passing close by the pile of food. He’d known that there had to have been dozens of eyes on him then, but it hadn’t mattered; he’d made sure to walk toward the most distant staircase down, and that put him on a course that put the huge pile of provisions directly between him and the crowd. It had been only for a second, of course – if he’d lingered out of sight, surely somepony would get suspicious – but that had been more than enough time for Aisle, whose special talent had been handling groceries, to reach out and swipe a hooffull of food, shoving them into his saddlebag in a single smooth motion.

It hadn’t been very much: three grapefruits and a box of crackers. But as he’d crept back to the train he’d felt ten feet tall, proudly showing his bounty to Cozy before – on a sudden impulse – kissing her so fiercely that she’d almost swooned. In that moment every bad thing that had happened, from the flood to his being emasculated by Lex, had vanished from his mind, and Aisle had felt almost giddy.

After that, they’d settled down to hide until the train left, and Aisle had felt his euphoria start to dim. There was no way to prove that Lashtada had been behind what happened, after all. It could have, and probably had, just been an incredible stroke of luck. Plus, somepony might have seen him anyway, and could have reported him to Lex in the meantime. Or any number of other things that could still go wrong…

By the time the train had departed, Aisle had gone back to feeling nervous, but even then it had been an excited form of nervousness, scarcely daring to believe that for once everything was going to work out. But now…now the train was underway! It was enough to make his earlier zeal come flooding back. “WE DID IT!” he yelled, leaping to his hooves. He knew they should be quiet, even if they were multiple cars away from anypony else and muffled by the sound of the train, but he couldn’t bring himself to contain his joy. “We made it out!”

“Wow,” laughed Cozy, standing up at a more sedate pace. “And I thought I was eager to be out of there.”

“We’re finally…” He couldn’t finish as he turned to look at her, suddenly struck by how beautiful she was. “We finally get to move forward, now,” he said when he was able to recover his voice. “We’re running toward our future, instead of running for our lives.”

“Yeah,” she smiled, but her voice was sad, and she couldn’t help but glance behind her at where Pillow’s body lay.

Aisle moved forward, placing a hoof on her chest reassuringly. “Princess Cadance will bring him back.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“Hope? I thought you were all about having faith?” teased Aisle.

The statement, and his uncharacteristic playfulness, drew a laugh of surprise from Cozy as she looked back at him. “What’s gotten into you?”

He shrugged, still grinning. “I’m just…I’m so incredibly happy right now, and it’s because of you.”

She smiled at that, blushing. “It feels weird to say this, after everything that’s happened, but…I’m happy too.”

He took a step forward, nuzzling her. “I love you, Cozy.”

“I love you too, Aisle.”

They embraced then, the two of them holding each other close as the train sped them away from Vanhoover.

Author's Note:

Aisle pulls off a miraculous stunt to secure provisions for himself and Cozy as they leave Vanhoover?

Was Lashtada with him, or was it all just a coincidence?

PreviousChapters Next