• Published 27th Oct 2015
  • 7,515 Views, 314 Comments

Binding of Isaac: Beyond - IAmNotSmartest



The Chest has opened. Isaac is free. So is everything else once trapped within.

  • ...
15
 314
 7,515

Thread

Samson was pissed.

Not just “I’m annoyed” or “I want to hit something” mad, but “I will tear out your jugular and show it to you just to convey an infinitesimal fraction of the level of anger I wish to express towards you” mad.

It wasn’t as if he could really do that to the pompous donkey behind him, but damn did he want to.

Not only did she step into a place she had not an ounce of right to be in twice, but then she had the audacity to start telling him what to do, threatening him, and giving a show of force that cost him two whole soul hearts.

Needless to say, that was not a good second impression. And seeing as he knew he couldn’t take her head-on, he had no choice but to escort her to that group of useless clods she called her own.

The child scoffed. He remembered seeing them cower in corners, utterly helpless. He was younger than most of them, technically - the basement arguably doesn’t let him mature and age, he presumed - and they were so pathetic. Even the eldest in the room couldn’t handle the Crickets. The children, hell, he could see them being afraid of the Hosts and things, but the adult was just disappointing. Mind you, half of them refused to even talk to him for a good ten minutes for fear of him killing them, but still.

He honestly wasn’t sure why he felt so obligated to helping them - they weren’t doing jack for him. Literally no benefit, just headache.

But… that wasn’t really their fault, was it? They didn’t choose this. They didn’t want to be here. They were completely innocent, victims of that dumb demon’s antics.

Come to think of it, that was apparently what happened to Her High-and-Mighty-ness, wasn’t it?

… He still had every right to hate her, though.

Finally, they reached the room he’d corralled them in. Adjacent to the item room, it was where this run had dropped him after the previous floor. Samson, fortunately, had the foresight to fight the boss without letting them see - He was pretty certain they’d probably die of fright against The Haunt he had been anticipating.

As of now, there were nine of them. An adult stallion who was sobbing in the corner, and several children, some of which gave the occasional awkward glance at the stallion. When they saw him come in, there was a simultaneous ebb and flow of tension, the apprehension of unfamiliarity being replaced by the intimidation Sampson presented.

He stood tall before them, and taller than most of them. “Listen up, I found -”

He never finished his sentence. Luna shouted over his voice, “Do not fear, my subjects - I have come to rescue you from this place!”

He glared up and behind him at the alicorn, but she did not notice, brushing roughly past him to comfort and greet her subjects.

Please, he pointed out in his head. You don’t even know where you are.

They rushed to her, clamoring for attention and her comforting smile, some crying, all relieved that their princess, their savior, had come. Samson leaned in the doorway, clenching and unclenching his fists, really, really, wishing he had something he could punch right now. He glared over at them, expecting them to be smiling and laughing and generally being happy as if to spite him, but instead noticed something else.

The stallion wasn’t among them. The oldest in the room was nowhere to be seen. The other ponies didn’t even seem to notice, but he’d vanished without a trace.

“What is it?” Luna asked him suddenly, causing him to flinch. “Is something amiss?”

“Guh- er, nothing. Just…” He paused for a moment. She doesn’t know, I’m in the clear. “I’m pretty sure the last room left is the boss room.”

“The ‘boss?’” Luna repeated. “Would that be the demon from earlier?”

“Yes, gold star to you.” He mocked. “Top of the class, grade A-”

“Leave it to me,” She glowered, taking steps towards the door they’d came from. “I will take care of it.”

Incredulous, Samson snickered. “Wow. Look at you, bravely wandering in a blind direction, to fight an enemy you know nothing about.”

She turned to glare at the child. He stared back, the glistening orbs of rubber cement masking the spiteful hatred he held in his heart specifically for her.

It was a staring contest, for a while. Everypony - and the single human - was silent, the only sound being the ever present creaking of the floorboards above. Sampson smirked in spite of himself. “You know, I never have to blink with this stuff on. You’re not gonna win. Not against me, or against Lil’ Horn.”

“Hey!” one of the foals called out. “My horn’s the normal size!”

Dead silence followed. Samson slowly raised his hands, and began to applaud with increasing vigor, obviously trying to hold back laughter. “You. I like you.”

Tension broken, he turned back to the princess, his face skeptic, and tone deadpan. “But seriously. You’re gonna die if you go in there blind and that leaves me stuck with these… your problems. I’m going in there and you’re staying right here.”

“I will not sit idly by while you fight for us,” she argued. “And you lack the power to stop me.”

He turned and started back toward the door across the room. His voice was low and even as he said, “And are you saying that because you want to protect them, for their sake? Or because you’re trying to prove yourself? You’re just trying to show everyone that you’re good enough, because they don’t think you are, aren't you?”

Before she could even consider objecting, Samson ventured further, still walking, a slight note of strain in his tone. “Or are you just scrambling to find a reason not to despise yourself for your failures? Trying to make up for some stupid mistake because you can’t bring yourself to fess up and apologize? Because it’s not them that hate you, but yourself?”

Taken aback, Luna did not pursue, instead favoring to turn her gaze to the floor in shame. Grimly, Samson scowled. I knew it. She’s just another pompous, self-absorbed, idiot who got themselves thrown into just the fate they know they deserve -

And then she pushed right past him. “It doesn’t matter why I do it, so long as it keeps them safe.” She said plainly, not looking at him.

But he still watched her teardrops hit the floor.

Author's Note:

And it's been awhile... since I last saw you.

You are your own worst enemy.

Christ on a bike the fact that people are still looking at this astounds me. And I feel awful for that huge delay on this chapter.

Admittedly my interest in the show has waned considerably, but I do feel this story shouldn't suffer for it. I still have the same understanding of them, and the setting still works fine. I've just... been inattentive, I suppose.

But Isaac's still the poop, dood. I still play it. I still love it.

I really do want to finish this story. I won't rush it, but it's not gonna be a "oh he'll be done in 6 months fo' sho'" deal either.

I had about 70% of this done for the longest time. I've literally just finished it the night I'm writing this.
I hope you've enjoyed and thank you for your patience.


No editors here, I didn't feel right bothering the two after such a long time.

Comments ( 18 )

I haven't watched since the first ten minutes of that Scootaloo camping episode.

...To be honest I completely forgot I faved this. :twilightblush:

Even the eldest in the room couldn’t handle the Crickets.

what's a cricket?

rubber cement is the greatest thing ever, and though i know(or strongly suspect) that you won't give samson brimstone, it would be incredible to see it happen, and especially luna's reaction to samson vomiting blood and having it bounce back and not leave a drop on him.

The stallion wasn’t among them. The oldest in the room was nowhere to be seen. The other ponies didn’t even seem to notice, but he’d vanished without a trace.

*insert x files theme here*

But he still watch her teardrops hit the floor.

luna shooting tears...
images.newschoolers.com/images/17/00/66/63/39/666339.png

Admittedly my interest in the show has waned considerably, but I do feel this story shouldn't suffer for it.

YOU CANNOT RUN FROM THE HERD MUAHAHA

But Isaac's still the poop, dood

oh... crap

The new chapter Hype is real!

God, I love the way Samson reacted to the foal saying that...

The entire wait was worth it just to read Luna take that slap to the face. Excellent.

BTW, it's not "Sampson". That P doesn't belong.

7552575 I believe it's been spelled either way - while the common spelling is "Samson", it was in fact once spelled "Sampson".

Also, I can't wait for Luna to get smacked in the face with a smoke ball.

7552191 Crickets are the decapitated head spiders, also called 'Leg Days' by some.

7552575 I think it's either way, but I've amended it for consistency.
And that slap in the face was great to write out.
Because often it's easiest to point out the same mistakes you've seen before.

*grunts, turning two of it's nerves into a pair of half functional hands which it then applauds with before turning them back to normal*

Wow. this story. i love this one. im not much of one for The Binding, but... this? ooh i ran through this one so fast i surprised myself at the speed, and i REALLY want to see where it goes from here.

definitely engaging and.. honestly the way isaac saw things... och, well done.

7553380 those are trites, I believe. I read the gamepedia.

WHY AM I NOT TRACKING THIS?!- Oh yeah, my temporary disappointment for no lilith mama
So, uhm, hold the phone. Samson, Get moms heels. Or if you have them, er... I forgot what item was next. Pin!Pin!PIN! Lets get the TOG references rolling, my FAV isaac player eva! (Please? He got a run with rubber cement on samson)

It has been long since i last read this. Continue on with this good story, and most of us will still follow.

Hm I would like to see what you have in store for this now that afterbirth+ has come out:twilightsmile:

This is the second time I've read this through and through, and I'm amazed at how this story still manages to hold my attention with an ape like grip.

I fucking love this story.

GG

We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of another good story.

Rest In Peace :raritycry:

Login or register to comment