• Published 27th Oct 2015
  • 7,500 Views, 314 Comments

Binding of Isaac: Beyond - IAmNotSmartest



The Chest has opened. Isaac is free. So is everything else once trapped within.

  • ...
15
 314
 7,500

Metanoia

Naturally, Cadence’s response was that of confusion. “‘Atone for your failures as king?’ You mean… you’re turning yourself in?”

“No, no, dear Princess; you misinterpret me,” He shook his head. “I seek to correct my errors. Repay my people for my atrocities of necessity.”

She gave him a skeptical look. “Care to clarify?”

Returning the expression, he replied, “That depends on two things.”

She said nothing. He shook his head in mock defeat. “They are not beyond requests you would grant any other. I ask only to be allowed to elaborate in full…”

He glanced to the hill, seeing Lazarus peering over. The child quickly dove beneath the horizon. “... and assurance of safety afterwards, even if I may not remain here.”

Cadence considered this, momentarily. She asked him, “And if we do not?”

He smirked. “You’d stand to lose whatever I am here for, for the slim chance at capturing or killing me. At which point, I’d either be unwilling or unable to relay to you that information. Or, you would force me to leave, purpose unfulfilled,” the smile fell from his face. “with the child you would spurn with me in doing so.”

He was starting to get annoyed by her near-constant confusion, but if he were honest, it was more so his own doing. She wouldn’t risk a child… though the lack of validation as to whether they existed may counteract that. Hmm.

Briefly, a dark shadow of worry crossed over her face. Too quickly for the average pony to notice. But of course, he was not one. She nodded hesitantly. “Very well. But you have to answer any and all of our questions.”

“I would expect no less.” Sombra nodded, expression grave. He gestured for her to begin.

She locked eyes with him, her own burning with courage. But he could still see the fear. “How have you returned?” Cadence inquired.

Lies now would only reinforce their distrust, he contemplated. He could lie, but that would leave Lazarus alone, and his integrity further doubted. And he may as well ensure both of their safety with his reveal.

Or rather, that was his plan.

A sliver of fabric, stained with the dried maroon of blood fluttered over on a breeze. Before Sombra could even consider an explanation, the child tumbled down the snowdrift as the bandage slowly drifted to the ground between them. Lazarus came to a stop just in front of it, knotted and wrapped in the too-big cloak he was wearing.

She looked down at the child as he scrambled to untangle himself from Sombra’s robes, some combination of mortification, deep worry, and complete and utter confusion infecting her expression. “Is… this is the child you were talking about?”

Hesitantly, the king nodded. Lazarus, finally freeing himself from the snow-coated prison, froze like a cornered animal under Cadence’s stare.

“I… uh…” he stammered, locking terrified eyes with her.

She reached out a hoof, and he took a step away. She seemed saddened by this, Sombra noted. Lazarus slowly backed toward Sombra, moving behind him. The child never looked away, peeking out from behind the king.

Before Cadence could begin her impending verbal assault, Sombra interrupted, “This is Lazarus. He revived me from my state of, shall we say,” he paused, evening his tone. “Incapacitation.”

She gave the pair a scrutinizing look. Sombra gazed back impassively, and Lazarus ducked out of site. “What have you done to him?” She asked in a deadpan.

“I have done nothing. He is my companion of his own volition.”

“And why should I believe that?”

Almost reluctantly, Sombra replied, “Ask him yourself.”

Lazarus froze behind his protector, swallowing the lump in his throat. The stallion stepped aside, leaving him in full view of the Princess. Shivering under the king’s robe, and her gaze. She drew near, but Lazarus did not move, for fear of falling over and becoming as her prey.

“Lazarus, did he make you come with him?”

He shook his head rapidly. Desperately hoping that was the end of the questions.

“Are… are you certain?”

He nodded. She drew very close - almost an arm’s reach - and inquired at almost a whisper, “Are you lying? Does he have some kind of leverage?”

He shook his head again. He could feel his heart trying to escape his chest, much as he wished to be free of her staring eyes.

So full of unease and apprehension.

Cadence took a step, concern splaying across her face like a crack on glass. “Are you alright?”

He yelped, falling to the snow, squeezing his eyes shut, arms crossed over his face, locking her out. “Stay away!” He could feel the tears rolling down his face. “J-just go away!”

Sombra stepped between them again, scowling at the princess. “Maintain your distance. Can you not see you distress him?”

Cadence looked away, the guilt of her actions as obvious as her fault. “I… I’m sorry, Lazarus. I did not mean to…” She trailed off.

Sombra seized the opportunity. “Listen. The child is cold. This is no place for such discussions. Should we not move this interrogation to a place better suited?”

Almost as if snapping from a daze, she replied, “O-of course. We should at least enter the gates.”

So many mistakes. She is lucky I am not my curse. It would be a sad day indeed, where her heart endangers so many others. Sombra considered as he pulled the sniffling human up onto his back. I hope that day may never befall them again.


*Isaac stared at the eyepatch. He momentarily amused himself with the irony of the thought - looking at a covering for the blind.

… I am distracting myself. I should be doing something. But he knew not what he could do. What he ‘should’ do.

Cadence and Shining were quite obviously hiding something from him. But did he really want to know? Given what had just happened, he would not be surprised if they returned with pitchforks and torches. If anyone returned.

Maybe they would just leave him here, locking him away from the purity of the world. Cover the wound that it may not be seen. Amputate the infection. The world has become corrupted by me.

It wasn’t the world that made him bad, it was the other way around, here. So many things were backwards here.

“Hehe,” he laughed softly. Tears collected at the rims of his eyes, but he continued laughing. Oh, what a cruel twist his life had taken. Victim turned villain. An Infectious innocent.

He was laughing openly now, tears dripping unbidden down his face. He wasn’t sure why, but this was hilarious to him. It’s my fault, and it’s not my fault it’s my fault. But is it my fault it’s not my fault it’s my fault?

He trailed off. He set the eyepatch on the bedside table. He didn’t need to look at it anymore. All he needed to denote his failure was the memories. And my memories can outlive me.

Isaac walked over to the desk, pleased to see papers and pencils stacked neatly on it. He pulled one of each down, sat on the floor, and began to draw. Each stroke of the pencil made it clearer and clearer - Isaac had drawn Cain, offering him the Candle. Simplistic, crude, the drawing of a child, yes, but it was clear to him why he had made it.

His friend’s final act of kindness to him would be remembered, even if no one else would remember him. He deserves it more than me.

The child looked about for somewhere to hang his proud art. No nails stuck from the walls. He had no pins, no tape. So he bent back the sides, making a nice support, placing it on the dresser.

For you, Cain. He thought wistfully. You deserve it.

He looked at the picture for some time. He wasn’t sure why, but it made him feel better, somehow. Isaac wasn’t happy, but he felt good, for a while.

And it was okay.

Author's Note:

Met·a·noi·a noun
(metəˈnoiə/) change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion


Hah! Right! Yes! Hello!
I told you the story isn't dead.
Updates will be more infrequent, but they will happen now!

Thank you to any and all who return or see this story! You people are amazing!

The only person to edit/review this one was Hydra Lightning, so hooray for their existence!