• Published 6th Apr 2015
  • 5,279 Views, 60 Comments

The Better Half - TheNewYorkBrony



Trixie, Starlight Glimmer and Sunset fight over who's a better match for Twilight.

  • ...
17
 60
 5,279

Chapter 1

Twilight stared at the three feuding girls before her, wondering how her life ended up like this.

She had happened upon the argument when she heard her name being mentioned, and soon regretted staying to see what Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, and Sunset Shimmer were talking about.

They were talking about her. Well, more like arguing about something that had to do with her. And she couldn't quite understand why what they were arguing about was such a big deal. She all knew them from different times in her life, they were all her friends, (well, two of them were, at least), and of course, they were all very powerful magic wielders.

So of course she was a little confused when she heard Sunset shout, “You can’t be serious! You didn’t do a single thing to help her!”

Trixie put her hands on her hips. "Of course Trixie did! Trixie helped her see that showing off her magical abilities shouldn't be arrogant!"

"You couldn't possibly have! How could you have taught someone a lesson you haven't even learned yourself?!" Starlight shouted, pointing at her.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Trixie demanded.

"Please! As much as you brag, I doubt you could do half as much magic as Twilight can!" Starlight pointed an accusing finger at her.

"You're one to talk! All you're good at is promoting communism! How does it feel to watch your followers turn against you?" Sunset barked. "And besides, unlike you two, I was also a student of Princess Celestia's!"

"Yes, and look how well that turned out for you!" Starlight responded, gesturing towards the younger girl.

Suddenly Twilight realized this might be less about her, and more about insulting each other. In fact, she didn't know how long she had been standing there watching them, but she knew it was a significant amount of time because her legs were starting to hurt. But for some reason she couldn't turn away. To be honest, this was kind of interesting and she wanted to see how things played out. (Even though she knew she would have to step in soon) She didn't know if they were even aware of her presence at all.


"That may be so, but Trixie was the original counterpart!" Trixie proclaimed, pointing a finger in the air.

"Your name isn't even similar to ours!" Sunset protested.

"Well at least we're canon! How does it feel to know that Flash Sentry is a more canon character than you are?!" Starlight pointed out.

Sunset seemed to be taken aback by that. “W-Well at least people ship me more with her than they do him!” She said defensively.

Twilight cocked her head. What on earth was that all about?

“I don’t even know why we’re still arguing, it’s pretty clear who the real winner is,” Trixie gloated with a flip of her hair.

“Yeah, me,” Sunset said, pointing to herself.

“No, me,” Starlight said, doing the same.

Both girls shot each other an angry glare.

Twilight was seeing that this was going downhill fast and that if she didn’t say anything, things were going to get very violent very fast. “Er, girls, if I may be so kind to cut in,” She started, finally walking over to them and effectively temporarily distracting them from each other. “None of you win. Because I’m not some prize to be won. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Is this what you guys think of me? As something to use to one up each other? Honestly! How heartless can you be? I’ve given you three nothing but friendship and this is how you repay me?”

“I’m not your friend,” Starlight said curtly. “To be honest, if you weren’t so cute I’d hate you completely,”

“Er, thanks?” Twilight responded, a bit confused. She didn’t know whether or not to be flattered or offended. “Anyway, look, obviously you all have some type of weird hate crush on me and sitting here arguing about it isn’t going to change anything.”

“For the record, I don’t hate you, Twilight,” Sunset insisted. “I welcomed your friendship with open arms, unlike these two,” She shot a glare at Trixie and then stuck her tongue out at Starlight. “Some girls just know the true power of the magic of friendship.”

Twilight put a hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “No one likes an ass-kisser, Sunny,” She said, patting it. “Now, as I was saying-”

“Why don’t we let Sparkle decide who’s the better counterpart?” Trixie proposed.

“Yes! Let’s let Twilight decide!” Starlight agreed. “And then we can decide once and for all who truly is the better half!”

Twilight was absolutely sure now that she regretted ever joining into this conversation. She sighed heavily. “If I put my input into this stupid argument, will you three promise to never argue about this again so long as you all shall live?”

“Yes!” Sunset said.

“Agreed!” Trixie nodded.

“Pretty much,” Starlight shrugged.

Twilight sighed again. “Alright fine.” She cleared her throat. “The perfect counterpart for me is...” She paused, looking at the three expectant faces in front of her. She frowned. “None of you. For starters, Starlight, I don’t like you. You’re rude, mean, and you interrupted me during my speech!”

She then pointed at Trixie, then at Sunset. “And don’t get me started on you two. Not only did you endanger everyone’s lives around you without a care in the world to boost your own ego, both of you nearly got me killed!” She glared at Trixie. “Twice!”

“Hey!” Trixie said, folding her arms. “To be fair the first time wasn’t my fault!”


Sunset folded her own arms, but angrily. “Okay so I nearly killed you, the girls, and enslaved the entire student body of Canterlot High so that I could use my teenage army to take over Equestria. Who cares?! It shouldn’t matter now that I’m redeemed! My past is not today and all that!” She said, waving her hand as if dismissing the subject.

Twilight smacked her forehead. “Look, obviously you’re all supposed to be what would have happened if I had become arrogant, or lost my way, or a bitch-”

“Hey!” Starlight shouted.

“But the point is, I can’t even fathom why you could possibly think I would decide between the three of you like you all have done nothing wrong. This whole thing was stupid, pointless and a waste of time." Twilight sighed. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've got better things to do." And with that she turned on her heel and left.

Author's Note:

I don't....I don't know?? I wrote this after watching the premiere again while hyped up on easter candy so this might have been funny to me then and possibly isn't now. So if this wasn't your cup of tea I don't blame you.

Comments ( 59 )

There is no similar stories, and no also liked stories. And it's going to the special shelf. That's all I have to say.

This was... actually pretty sad, but probably what would happen if they were aware of the fandom.

This quote was taken from Derpybooru.

"Trixie is Twilight with Arrogance.
Sunset was Twilight with Ambition.
Starlight is Twilight without Restraint."

5830748 cool so i was half right!

.
.
.
Please sir, can I have some moar?:fluttercry:

(seriously, though, find a way to keep this going)

The logic is faulty. She's free to deny them really, but the reason she gave was that they've done bad things. Two of whom she's forgiven and redeemed to some degree herself. Twilight, who has done bad things, says they're not worthy because they've done bad things.

She's going to need a better reason than that. I mean, seriously. Want It Need It was damn near the same thing Sunset did, only more chaotic and less of a world-domination gimmick. Trixie forced everyone to do as she said out of fear. Starlight persuaded people to do as she said until they became a cult. Trixie and Starlight both took over villages, one took over a school, two had plans to take over Equestria. The third was probably on her way there.

Sure, that's bad. But Twilight'd only be able to use this reason if she was perfectly blameless and spotless herself.

This would be like Rainbow Dash shooting down Lightning Dust, NOT because she almost got the girls killed, but because Lightning Dust is the bad pony Rainbow was going to become if Mare Do Well hadn't checked her ego... some. Which would make sense because Dust hasn't been redeemed. While 2/3 of Twilight's... prospective suitors, have been forgiven. They're either forgiven or they're not, Twilight - make up your mind.

A bit different but not bad. If you were to write more chapters it could get interesting but it's great as it is.
Oh, and also TWIXIE 4 LIFE :derpytongue2:

Personally i ship sunlight but the bottom line is that this is your story and even if its has certain or no ships in it. I still love them

You know what I choose... *start shipping Sunlight in front of you* :trollestia: Really that's fantastical :rainbowkiss:

This is definitely an interesting one. I like Trixie for Twilight, simply because an arrogant pony who speaks in the third-person is adorable. Sunset winds up being like a little sister to Twilight and Starlight has a lot of lessons to learn, one being that communism never works.

Trixie 4 LIFE :trixieshiftright:

You do realize that Equestria Girls IS canon, despite what some in the fandom wish to believe; both the writers and Flash Sentry's cameos in season 4 proved that.

Personally I think... y'know what? Fuck it. :ajbemused:

5831278 i know. I just used the bit of dialogue from the cover art

5831019 huh. I d I didn't think about it like that

You shippers are force not even Ultron would dare challenge.

5831528
HAHA! you like ultron? Check out my story twilights monster: rise of ultron I think you'll like it

5831238 Personally I ship Twilight with Sunset and Trixie. Yes, and, not or.

5831681 Those three would be interesting together, I'll say that much. Regarding Starlight, she is one of those ponies that would seem to be far too controlling to ship, well in my eyes anyway.

Well at least we're canon! How does it feel to know that Flash Sentry is a more canon character than you are?!

Man, that hurt. Poor Sunny, she deserves to be Twily's special somepony more than Starlight, but Trixie is almost on the same level. But still, SunLight is best Light. Sunset is best unicorn/human.
But I guess I'm a bit biased here.
Also, Sunset is canon. Don't deny it.

Great story :pinkiehappy:. Now could someone explain to me why people think Equestria Girls is canon? Yes we see Flash in season 4 but that doesn't prove anything it only proves that HE is real not sunset or the alternate world:ajbemused:.
(on my phone excuse grammar.)

You're one to talk! All you're good at is promoting communism! How does it feel to watch your followers turn against you?" Sunset barked. "And besides, unlike you two, I was also a student of Princess Celestia's!"

So im not the only one that noticed this?

"Well at least we're canon! How does it feel to know that Flash Sentry is a more canon character than you are?!" Starlight pointed out.

Jesus riding a bicycle did she just insult best human?... Bitch gonna die

5831824

Starlight and Adagio GOOO.

5832179

Shh. We'd like to exchange Flash for Sunset canon, yes.

Just ship them all together; problem solve.
This Fandom needs more polymorphism ships.

TwiStar. an interesting idea...

5831278 the thing about fandom's some will plug their ears and go lalallalalala. I think the anti humaneness is starting to become a problem. Also Sunset is cannon sunlight.

“W-Well at least people ship me more with her than they do him!” She said defensively.

Me - any day

For starters, Starlight, I don’t like you. You’re rude, mean, and you interrupted me during my speech!”

I wrote a fic about that
derpicdn.net/img/2015/4/6/866846/large.png

*whispers* Don't worry, Sunset, I'm on your side for this one! You'll always be a canon character to me!

...and Flash is canon only when I want to ship him with Sonata Dusk! :ajsmug:

5834868 sunlight is love

Sunlight is life

This? Hilarious. Admittedly, it fuels my sense of humor which is already bad, but I find it funny.

5832179 Simple - Hasbro specifically stated so.

Also, rumor has it (thanks to YouTube) that Sunset will be coming back through the portal in Season 5; I certainly hope so, just to see the look on the faces of those who deny Sunset her rightful place in canon! :rainbowlaugh:

5840047 Could you please link this information because I cant find it.

5840660 I'm posting from my phone, so I can't link right now; I found it by searching "MLP season 5" on YouTube - the promo that it was part of also showed Twilight talking to a caged Tirek and the Tree of Harmony turning black...

And then Luna sticks her head in.

"Sup losers."

When did Trixie try to kill Twilight? The first time, the Ursa nearly killed Trixie, but Twilight was never directly threatened, nor did Trixie bring it there to begin with. The second time, Trixie outclassed Twilight in a duel and kicked her out of town. Not exactly lethal.

Sorry, but Twilight's talking out of her plump purple plot on that account.

All I was doing the whole time while reading this was saying "Ooh!" when people got dogged out! Loved it!

Wait a second, Starlight is trying to prove than she's better than someone else? So much for equality...

Personally I think that Sunny makes the best better half. They do have the best history, yeah just in those horrid EG movies but still, at least they reconciled. Trixie and Twi could never get along and I really don't see Starlight as shippable with anypony.

5992856 Not better! Just more equal! :pinkiecrazy:

6073753

Trixie and Twi could never get along

We don't know that for sure, they started to get along at the end of "Magic Duel".

Even so, there's really isn't any reason why they couldn't try to be friends.

I like Sunset-x-Twilight best, but I like Twidash more. :twilightsmile:+:rainbowlaugh:= LOVE

If there was a sequel with this premise but with the rest of the Mane Six, I would be happy. Also, pokes fun on ALL of Twilight's ships.

Weeeeell, Trixie is presumably the only one close to age in Twilight. Then again, that whole situation's screwed up. Sunset has to be much older than Twilight but thanks to portal hijinks she's the same age as a human as Twilight is. Then Starlight is who knows how old but one would assume she's a fair bit older due to her leading her own village.

That said, that image is awesome.

So when the new EG movie comes out and people start shipping Sugarcoat with Twilight will the these three get together to protect their waifu?

I like both SunLight and Twixie. Never thought anyone would ship Starlight with Twilight. Has anyone thought to ship Sunset and Trixie together? Seems like it would be interesting.

Cool, but it would be even awesome-r if Rainbow was there!
:pinkiehappy::scootangel::twilightsmile::rainbowlaugh:

I was expecting for Twilight to pick Moondancer in the end. But you know...

Login or register to comment