• Published 29th Jan 2015
  • 3,022 Views, 197 Comments

The Ties That Bind - TwistedPretzel



A chance discovery gives Twilight Sparkle the opportunity to share a very special secret with Trixie Lulamoon, and hopefully prove that it isn't just blood or marriage that are powerful ties that bind.

Comments ( 19 )

How long had this story been inactive?

Another day, another delightful chapter to read.

The title reminds me of that Johnny Cash song.

"I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line."

9490970

I have to question how you use atavism. From what I know of the term it implies something of primal or genetic instinct or a genetic trait. Trixie’s moments of panic seem to based on long standing ingrained issues, but are more of a nurture not nature thing.

Thank you for the observation! ‘Tis very much appreciated.

One of the definitions for atavistic is: “of or relating to reversion to a former or more primitive type”, and the few times I’ve seen it used in stories (and not just fimfiction ones either) gave the impression of “instinctive”, “primal”, “mindless reaction”, etc. My intention when using it was to imply a fear deep-seated beneath rational, conscious thought. However, looking back on the instances where I have used that, “atavistic” may not have been the correct adjective to use.

Thank you again!

9490884

Durians are fascinating fruit. Their scent is as a result of 50 separate chemical compounds found in the fruit, and how one reacts to the taste is like cilantro, entirely based on genetics.

I first learned about durian when I read Raugos’ delightful story Initiation. Immediately afterwards, I read up on them and, I have to admit, have always been tempted to try one. Living in Baltimare, however, durian are a bit “thin on the ground”. However, last year I discovered a small ethic market that actually sells them! . . .

. . .

. . . I’ve just been working up the nerve to try one!

9491724
Plus side if it does go badly it’s something that can be dispelled rapidly. Just make sure to set a side a palate cleanser of some sort. Bread would probably be best as I have no idea if citrus or other fruits might not have a weird reaction to the durian.

9491724

Having been to Kuala Lumpur, home of the durian fruit, I can say they are tasty. They do stink. I couldn't bring any into the hotel. Ate my fill at the night market. Sweet nutty taste, pairs well with chocolate.

9492667
My understanding has always been that if you manage to get past the smell, that they have a unique, exquisite taste. I may very well, next time I’m at that market, try one out.

9492536

That is some remarkably evil verse.

::wickedly grins:: Why, thank you!

All joking aside, rhyming is not my strong suit. I’ve always admired authors who (seem to, anyway) create these epic poems and ballads, while I struggle with a simple, lame, limerick. So I’m quite pleased --flattered, as well-- that my attempt at an evil cursed item turned out well.

9488316

How long had this story been inactive?

Just about four years, unfortunately. Just a lot of things happened, and it took a long while to get back on my hooves.

9494837
If you can come back after so long, I hope other authors can to

Somewhere way up in the comments there someone said that your words make ponies feel like real people. This is a good thing, of course, but having read a lot of pony fanfiction I can say there are plenty of writers out there who can do the same thing. What makes this story unique in my eyes is the way it makes S&M enthusiasts feel real. This is the first time in any piece of fiction I've seen where members of that subculture feel like genuine people with genuine reasons for their interests. Usually such people are there as jokes or to evoke disgust or for the purposes of titillation. I've never really been interested in that sort of thing and I don't really understand it or why people would like it. Now, at least, I feel there is something to be understood. That is fantastic and pleasing and you are to be commended for that.

This is, however, not a perfect story. You've gone a little too far, at times, in your efforts at making Trixie seem "special". I'm referring specifically to the section where Trixie has off-screen befriended a Fire Elemental and subsequently upends a whole parcel of Equestrian magic. Trixie's already doing hitherto thought impossible illusion magic, she doesn't any more feathers in that cap. Don't get me wrong, that section is a decently well written bit of prose, but it doesn't belong in this story, I think.

Aside from that I have no real problems with this story, I like the way Trixie is an Anti-Twilight, I like the building plotlines and I'm excited for where its all going.

You asked me for my thoughts, and I have given them to you.

9530482

You asked me for my thoughts, and I have given them to you.

Thank you very much for the time and effort into commenting. It is very much appreciated!

9584529

9584696

Thank you for commenting! I got quite the (and needed, too) chuckle at your "synopsis" :derpytongue2: I'm hoping you enjoy how things progress, especially between Twilight and Trixie.

next chapter please.

What an absolutely remarkable story. If we have to wait 3 more years again for another set of chapters it will be well worth it.

The quality of the writing is incredible. So much so that it may have poisoned all other Trixie stories for me. I have no idea how you were releasing such perfection so quickly when you were active. I hope whatever is keeping you from continuing resolves quickly.

If this is the end I thank you for blessing us with this art and wish you the best.

Holy fug! I had no idea this story was updated!:pinkiegasp:

Loved reading this story and how it turned into such an interesting character developing plot!! I really feel for both twilight and Trixie and am super interested in what you had in mind for the amulet and all the mysteries. Hope to see this continue someday.

Login or register to comment