• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 8,196 Views, 331 Comments

Consequences of Darkness - Andoriol



Black Magic. Restricted, forbidden, and suppressed so harshly that it’s only known in fables. But sometimes it’s the only way to defend against the monsters that plague Equestria. That's our job. I just hope a Starcloak can have a normal life too

  • ...
13
 331
 8,196
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 70 )

I'ma be honest and say when I got the email for this update I almost cried. This was one of the stories that made me create an account just so that I could give it the like it deserved. I'm so glad that you've continued this. :pinkiehappy:

I'm so happy to see this story again. I got to say that I loved the interaction between Emeris and Shining, particularly the fact that both are geeks that are into RPG games. Cadence, despite knowing the truth about Emeris' situation and wanting to forgive him, was surprising in the sense that she held light resentment for the GSE...though the fact that Emeris interrupted her Honeymoon being the true reason made me laugh, especially Twilight's reaction. The hypotheses Emeris had about how Sombra managed to mind wipe all of the Empire were interesting and the runic array was awesome, though I was surprised by how much Twilight powerful Twilight is in comparison of Emeris, Grave, and Mirror. Overall, the chaoter was well worth the wait. Hope the next one comes soon.

The originator of the question slightly surprised me, and I swiveled my head around to Punic, “If you know anything about runic systems? It probably would, but unless you’re pulling that skill out of your… ah… rear,” damnit, again with the ass-racism now, I’d prefer it if you could investigate as well before getting a place for us all to set up for the night.”

You dropped a " somewhere in between ass-racism and I'd.

Since this story last updated, I have quit 2 part time jobs, graduated college, found a full time job, moved to a new city, and am currently buying a house..... Life changes rapidly.

7605576 yeah that about sums it up

Oh. Em. Gee.

This story still gets put into the recommendations that come up whenever I type "fim" into my url bar. Now it's going again! It's like Christmas, except I don't have to spend time with my family!

oh god it's out i have to read it now

IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Welcome back.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT'SBACKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAICAN'TREADITJUSTNOWBUTIWILLLATERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:pinkiegasp:

great to see an other chapter after waiting for so long. For Cadence and Shining reactions I think it was all perfectly understandable if somewhat underwhelming about their reaction about Emeris, I wouldn't be happy to see him either if he was showing up constantly during their two year long honeymoon. I wander what Shining mean about a trying to assault Emeris, and backfiring? was he referring about when he actually tried to "mount him" or did Shining tried to lay a trap for Garry that could indelibly kill him, if he just so happened to stand in an area and time? I wander if Graves Danger's attitudes problem is caused by being in constant pain and that he uses the pain to fuel his magic somehow?

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOGMYGODH! It's back! I've missed this story

Also what kinda idiots are those? He's about to channel a spell requiring positive emotions that could kill him and you think breaking up his moment with his herd is a good idea? At least graves is chill

“It’s been way too long.”

Yes, yes it has.

Corrections offered without malice.

Ogres and Obilettes

Oubliettes

the two mare’s leaning

mares

Sir Emeris earrings

Emeris's

whisps of shadows and hatred

wisps

This chapter was a fair bit rushed, so it's far from my favorite

Yeah, yeah... Didn't feel as rigth and great as usual. And the shift in narration was the weirdest moment of all being something tottaly new here.

But with how good you usually are, something not as good as usual is still more awesome then most.
Why complain? You are back o business, thing can just get better from here!

I had actually forgotten that he used to be an alicorn, good timing to throw in a reminder.

Huh, this story isn't dead.

Who knew.

You fool! You used the incantation of Cthulhu recklessly! What kind of be romanced are you to make such a mistake! Sure it brought back the story, but that was not all. We are doomed!

FINALLY! YOU'VE ARISEN ONCE MORE, O' GLORIOUS AUTHOR! :pinkiehappy: I've waited for a while for this story to be updated, but when I had seen how long you've been offline, I doubted that you'd come back. Please forgive me! :fluttershbad: Anyway, keep up the good work with the story, man, even if it's a tad-bit rushed.

I'd forgotten about the herd thing. Took me a moment to get used to it again.

Here's to the first of what I hope to be many chapters!

The fuck is this?! This story isn't dead?! Amazing!

Update, yeah! And mostly good stuff it was.

I've been re-reading the stories recently and one thing that did come to mind is that sometimes you tend to use synonyms or certain character traits repeatedly in short succession, or perhaps where it doesn't fit. For example in the first story, Emeris tends to blow raspberries on several occasions (fine - it shows he has a bit of an immature streak which fits his characterization to an extent), but it becomes a near go-to reaction for several other characters who that doesn't fit. You also don't need to invent millions of ways to say character X did Y (particularly the [shade of colour] [pony tribe] did something).

"Shiney" was used repeatedly in this chapter instead of "Shiny".

For what it's worth, I think the stories could do with a bit of an editing pass to change a few minor issues like this if you ever got the time and inclination. I'm sure I could find some time to spare to go into more detail if you cared.

Cheers.

P.S. I note that Twilight certainly didn't deny she had any interest in Emeris when overhearing Shining being the interfering but probably justifiably concerned big brother. That said it is Twilight, so maybe it flew over her head. Or she just missed hearing it.

Eyyy good to see this rise from its slumber 'neath sunken R'lyeh. :twilightsmile:

Something tells me that there is far more to Graves than he lets on, and I think we got to see a little of it here. Kinda strikes me as that "abrasive asshole teacher with a heart" trope.

7607058
There is still a chance to save this plane! When the great one is summoned, it shall get a sort of summoning sickness. If it is killed hen, hen it shall be killed forever! The death of a god, the greatest of sins! It is our only chance!

7610497
Is it black? If not I can kill it.

Otherwise we'll have to wait for my upkeep and make him sack a creature.

7610897
Current science can not determine what color it is, due to the radiation emitted being currently off any known scale

Sorry for taking so long to get to this! I decided to read all of Consequences over again.

A pity we didn't get to see a sweeter reunion, but things are sort of urgent at the moment...

For all that he's an asshat, Graves certainly recognizes the necessity of Virtue Magic... and the emotional requirements. Qubanna really shouldn't interrupt a pony about to take control of a barrier powered by love while he's interacting with the ponies he loves. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that Shining Armor didn't question Emeris's ability to use Virtue Magic after such a stunning example of Vice Magic.

I hope the shadows-seeping-through-the-barrier thing doesn't cause too much trouble... aside from the deaths they could cause, Emeris doesn't need to hurt his reputation more than it already is. But the extra time is desperately needed, and hopefully the extra time will give the girls (Twilight) an opportunity to actually research the Crystal Fair, rather than skipping over the whole "the Crystal Heart is a majestic love-powered artifact of Harmony" thing.

Maybe they can even skip the song! That was an awful song. Also, it feels sort of sad to me that Emeris can't take part in a heartsong like other ponies can. Is it because, despite everything, he's still at his core an Outsider? Or will he eventually be able to naturalize enough that he'd be able to partake in one? It seems like that would be a pretty emotional moment.

Not much happened with the current relationship issues. It's a bit irritating to be ignorant regarding Applejack's uneasiness over the relationship (which I don't understand, really. Does she subconsciously recognize some major flaw in the herd? Or is it over how she seems to prefer Rainbow Dash over Emeris, or does she feel that her position in the herd is due to some degree to the debt she still feels she owes to him?) and about the status of Quiet Mirror encroaching on the herd (not that he'd think of it that way, and he seems like a pretty nice pony. But Rarity seemed pretty suspicious of his closeness to Rainbow Dash, and we still haven't had a look in Emeris's head about that to see what his fucked up mind thinks about it).

I still can't tell if you're building up to an Emeris/Twilight romance or not. Shining Armor and Cadance's reaction to them completing one another's sentences and ideas (how much of that is leftover head-mingling, btw? The effects could be gone by now... even imagining Shining Armor as "Shiny" might be pure Emeris, he's a dork and gives people nicknames. It would be funny if he couldn't stop himself from saying it, though). serves as another point that feels like set them together. And "not my sister, dude" speeches are usually given to the guy who eventually gets together with said sister, then there's Emeris's discomfort when Punic hints at attraction to Twilight. BUT, he also refutes seeing her as anything more than a friend, and that could be your intention all long--to get those maybe-sorta-hints up and out of the way so you can discard them to focus on the real romances. HOWEVER... it's a classic for someone who likes someone else to deny it. Emeris is frightened of relationships. Herds are typically 3 to 4 mares to a stallion. And unless the presence of mental baggage in the other's head is going to come up soon, the only effect that little revelation back in Consequences of Unoriginality would be would be to awaken attraction on Twilight's part for one of her friends--one in a relationship with Emeris. Sure, she said her head would go back to normal without anything to support the intruding aspect, but... she admitted that she wasn't monosexual, so even if she prefers stallions she already has some degree of attraction to mares for it to work with. But I could also be looking way too hard into this and be gasping at straws.

So I'm going to ignore every proof for or against it, and just naively hope there'll be eventual Twimeris. I wonder if Cadance would feel better about Emeris if she could see him with Rainbow Dash and Applejack? If she could actually sense how he distorted Love itself, then she'd be able to recognize the genuine, pure caring between them, right? That would... well, either be more disturbing (like the very idea of romance was for Emeris in the beginning), or put her more at ease, I would think.

And in closing--Oh mighty God of the Written Word, I sing Thy praises with such fervor as to put the song of the spheres to shame, and rejoice that Thou hast once more descended to unto the Earth, that we may worship Thee and offer onto Thee upp'd thumbs.

Standard end-of-year updates.
:U

Comment posted by dragonjek deleted Oct 3rd, 2016

Also, in terms of the chapter title--are the "consequences of idiocy" the damages he suffered from last chapter, or the shadows that got through the barrier switchover? Because from what I can tell, it was a good idea, even if the switchover wasn't perfect. Cadance really did need the rest.

7606308

7610969
Colorless. Perfect. I use doom blade. Problem solved.

Hellball is appropriate. Call the refined version a Tartarus Marble, but a spell of just dark energies smashed together? Sounds crude.. like a Hellball.

Zanec #39 · Oct 3rd, 2016 · · 4 ·

Oh, right, the "Hellball"...
Now I remember why this went off my favourites list.

7613926

Now I remember why this went off my favourites list.

I understand the individual words, but when you put them together like that they just stop making sense.

7616235
You need to learn more English then :U

Have you ever picked up an old book that's been sitting on the shelf for a year and blow off all the dust?

God that shit goes everywhere.

Always happy to see more of this. A nice breather episode in the wake of the last one, with a wonderful hook for the one to come. Eagerly looking forward to it. :twilightsmile:

So, this exists again?

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnice.

Well i have now read through the entirety of consequences of unoriginality (avoiding it cause tragedy tag but turned out to not be a big deal) and now im up to date on this, i can only hope things go well enough for you that we see this come back to life again

7616400 My friend, I believe you might have missed the point. Course you knew that, didn't you? Hey look I can be passive agressive too!

7790588
The chapter name seems to fit, doesn't it?

Yes, yes I did know.

7790803
img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/ReverseDragon_Blade/MEME/GodDammit.jpg
I'll allow the internet to judge that. Jesus Christ, I can all ready see where this is going... Psychosis, pull up, you dumbass! you're playing chicken with the wrong people! They're pulling you down to their level!

7790843
Yy, im a stupid blonde german pansexual crossfitter atheist vaper who is trying to 1up and passive-aggressively insult you cuz im offended by ur commentz!!!11


pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw11331-64775__safe_rainbow-dash_animated_smoking_weed_1.gif

I do hope this continues. The Luna spec ops team really makes this interesting.

Login or register to comment