• Published 29th Nov 2014
  • 2,560 Views, 33 Comments

Starvation - Cloud Hop



There is no more love. There is no more queen. There are only the silent echoes of a dying hive, as a lonely changeling, cut off from the hivemind, ponders the fate that has befallen his brethren.

  • ...
5
 33
 2,560

Closure


The sound of death was all around him.

It turns out that starving to death is a very quiet affair. The changeling hive, normally a bustling center of activity, was nothing more than a dried husk. Limp changelings clung to the walls or laid on the floor as the last of their love reserves slowly seeped out. Every now and then, another pair of glowing blue eyes winked out, as another member of the hive was kissed by eternity's grace.

The queen was gone. Dead. Without another royal changeling to hold it together, the hivemind had shattered into a million voices. No one knew what happened, for the Link had been severed, and now they were left to die of starvation isolated and alone, unable to communicate with each other outside of meaningless buzzing sounds. Without the Link, there was no mourning, no reassurance, no direction, no plan of action.

No hope.

He could feel the misery and despair of his brothers and sisters around him. It was the only part of them he could feel, the only emotions he could still sense. The entire hive was filled with the dark, cold blue of depression and sadness. There was nothing any of them could do anymore. Even if they had the Link, surely their emotion harvesters would have been caught and executed by now. Of course, no one knew for sure. No one knew anything anymore. It didn't matter.

Nothing mattered.

An errant thought flittered through his mind, and the changeling slowly began to get up. Wincing, Zethral spread out his insectoid wings, and willed them to flap, but he was long past the point of flying. Fighting against dizziness as the final stages of starvation began to take hold of his chitin-covered body, he started limping towards the exit of the hive. If he was going to die, he'd rather die under the warm light of the sun than in the cold depths of a forgotten hive.

Perhaps his brethren had the same thought. Perhaps they sensed the surge of determination and hope that flickered through his battered form. Whatever it was, his fellow changelings slowly began to right themselves, and trot along behind him in a silent procession. Slowly, agonizingly slowly, the black creatures dragged their broken and emaciated forms out of the hive, a funeral procession for their race. Many dark bodies toppled before they could reach the entrance, but none had the strength to carry the dying bodies of their siblings.

Somehow, Zethral found the entrance unscathed by the earthquake that had sundered their beloved hive. The blue light of the sky seemed to give strength to him, and he found himself walking out into the bright sunlight at a brisk pace. He’d only been outside twice in his entire life. At least, before he left this world forever, he’d get to experience the surface a third time.

His siblings seemed to agree, and as the column of changelings slowly emerged from the hive, they buzzed in excitement and awe. Birds sang in the air, and a soft wind blew through the green bush. The ground was soft and fertile beneath their hooves, and small animals scurried around them, preoccupied with their own struggle for survival.

Zethral didn’t know where he was walking. He simply followed his hooves. The sun had barely crossed midday when he stumbled upon a clearing in the forest, with a river running through it. He felt his hooves stop beneath him, and he decided that he had reached his destination.

It was beautiful. Sunlight shone through the canopy, decorating the ground in bright yellow patterns. Soft yellow grass swayed gently in the wind, almost glowing in the mid-afternoon sunlight. A small tree stood guard by the river, near the center of the clearing. He laid down, and the soft grass tickled his belly and warmed his hooves. It was the most peaceful and tranquil resting place he could have asked for, but something still ate at him.

The hive mind was gone, the Link lost along with their beloved queen. He was alone with his thoughts, with no one else to share them with. No changeling should die alone, and no changeling should ever be alone. It wasn’t in their nature. Back in the hive, back before everything had fallen apart, he had always found comfort among his siblings. There had always been someone willing to listen to his problems, to lend a comforting thought over the link.

Now, the comforting buzz of the hivemind was gone, leaving a gaping wound in his soul that could never be filled. He was about ready to lower his head to the ground and accept his miserable fate when he felt something touch his shoulder.

Looking up, he saw the smiling face of another changeling drone, and a comforting hoof on his withers. He didn’t know who they were, but those details hardly mattered anymore. He smiled, and she gave him a friendly nuzzle. As he looked around, he saw the rest of his hivemates coming together, using what little strength they had left to bring their siblings into a heartfelt hug. Even as they faced their final absolution, they would not have to do so alone. Even without the Link, even without a queen, they still found a way to comfort each other.

The misery and despair that had suffocated his senses seemed to lift as more of his siblings joined them in the field. Slowly, the sorrow and woe was replaced with comradery and acceptance. The vivid colors of a hundred flowers decorated the other side of the river, and a rich scent of pine needles tickled his nose. He could hear the faint gurgling of the river as it continued its journey towards the sea, and the calls of birds flapping overhead. It wasn’t a replacement for the Link itself, but perhaps it could be just as breathtaking.

He felt friendly hooves wrap around him, and he returned the gesture without hesitation. Suddenly, Zethral didn’t feel alone anymore. He couldn’t tell what his sister was thinking in that moment, but it didn’t matter anymore. He knew that he was loved, and she knew that he loved him, and that was all that mattered.

He nuzzled her, and they laid down together, waiting for the end to come, as the sun inched ever lower.

As the last rays of sunlight painted the clouds with red, Zethral knew he didn’t have much time left. Most of the others had already passed away, slipping into eternal slumber in the loving hooves of their hivemates. He’d lost the strength to move an hour ago, and was simply staring straight ahead, as the sun slowly danced between the clouds. He had never seen a sunset before, and even as he began to feel the last of his strength leave him, he was grateful that he had glimpsed one before the end. He closed his eyes, and smiled, at peace with himself.

As the last rays of light faded from the world, so did the last changeling, his eyes darkening and his form going limp. His lifeless body joined countless others in the beautiful field that they had turned into their grave.

It was a very quiet evening.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Wing Dancer for preventing me from royally messing this up and LoyalLiar for correcting my illiteracy.

Now with fanart!

Comments ( 33 )

damn... that was *sniff* deep... to say the least...
il never look at a changling the same way again...:fluttershysad:

Is there going to be more? Cause it's marked incomplete.

Something tells me it's not a followup to your angsting over your toaster.

5325483
5325475

That's what I get for submitting something at 2 AM.

5325474 Ditto. Dammit, this was brilliant. :pinkiesad2:

So... fucking... sad... :raritycry:

Oh god!! That was so sad especially with the music take my favorite I love changelings and hate for them to die. At least the few that were alive died peacefully. That's how I want to end, no regrets nothing but peace as I slip into an eternal slumber.

As said by Gandalf death is just another path one that we all must take.

I am surprised he didn't become a queen with the leadership he showed and the love pouring in from the other changelings. Surely at that point it could be sustaining.

5329303

As with many other headcanons, the changelings in this story cannot feed off love from other changelings.

The music of the FF series is rivaled only by that of Dungeon Master, IMO. Excellent story.

simple, and elegant in execution. I wrote a changeling fic myself not long ago that is much more dark in nature that deals with
how changelings handle the severing of the hivemind called Isolation.

I do however, truly love that you turned something that otherwise would be a terrible tragedy into something of true beauty.

Congratulations.

sniff ......hrk....
walks out of room
Infantile Crying

Poor changeling. I would adopt and love you...

Ponies think challengings are horrid creatures but they don't understand that they are trying to survive. do you really think ALL challengings want to feed off all of your love. Don't you think that if there was another option. Chrysalis is trying to help the hive survive, and live and not perish to dust. If you are that much of a dick to see that then how the fuck can you claim you believe in the magic of friendship. :applecry: :ajsleepy: :fluttercry: :raritydespair: :raritycry:

THIS IS WHY CHANGELINGS NEED OUR LOVE!!! :raritycry:

:fluttercry:
Poor misunderstood changelings...

wonderfully written. would make most anyone feel sorry for them at the end. lost, alone (till the end) and starving.

5325968 indeed it was, il never forget this one...

Read this a couple times now I still cant read without crying THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY CHANGELINGS GET MY LOVE!!!! My OC's mother who took on a life of her own after being a lone survivor of a disaster similar to this. No pony or changeling or any equestrian being deserves to die like this . At least the few survivors slipped into peaceful eternal sleep rather than die as a result of the earthquake.
Rest in peace changelings

*cries again*

The last changeling should make it to ponyville... you decide what happens next... which bring me to the question... sequel, or moar?

5355502

I do have a sequel in mind, but it doesn't involve any of the changelings mentioned in this story.

5355675 Meh, as long as its a doctor who 'the last of my species' sort a thing, im ok with it.

5355675 I would like to see a sequel. And OMG I cried when I got to the part about the Changlings comforting each other.

Aw, poor changelings... To be real honest, I never really stop and think about the Changelings. This take was rather interesting to read, and it gave light to things I never thought about. Well done.

That was so sad and hopeless. Great read, loved the whole thing.

I read about the sequel and all I gotta say is 'No' do not make it a 'doctor who last one of his species thing'. That just screams 'powerful'. A survivor of genocide wouldn't be depicted as powerful, but depressed, hopeless, or cynical; as well as strong instead, as he tries to re-unite.

I wrote a review of this story!

It can be found here.

I'm conflicted. Part of me wanted a Deus ex Machina. The other wanted a peaceful end.

I feel horrible, that I'm glad, that it was the latter.

This didn't make me cry though. Not even close. Though I'm glad I read it.

Dark, sad and hearthwarming. Nicely done!

Login or register to comment