• Published 9th Oct 2014
  • 2,277 Views, 22 Comments

The Glorious Council of Friendship - eLLen



Six mares run a government council in a castle. Who says politics aren't fun? A one-shot of complete nonsense.

  • ...
6
 22
 2,277

Day One

In one quiet and quaint village known as Ponyville stood something very out of place. In the middle of the affairs, all roads connecting to it, stood a mighty and majestic castle, born of what some called pure friendship, and belonging to none other than resident princess, Twilight Sparkle. And her friends, of course. They were as much to credit for the savior of town as well, so the Princess of Friendship told.

Yes, the quiet and quaint town was attacked along with the rest of the grand nation of Equestria by one terribly tyrant, Tirek, that took thousand’s to ten thousand’s magic for his own nefarious purposes. Fortunately he was stopped and thrown into the fitting tomb of Tartarus. But if one good thing did come from his brief yet horrid reign it would be the very castle that rose up, taking the spot of Princess Twilight’s rustic fortress of a library. How poetically odd.

It was now that six mares sat in the castle, the same that were given credit for the preservation of the kingdom, taking their rightful places as great heroes that would lead their young and potential-filled subjects to their rightful destiny of complete and utter harmonious success.

But for now, they had other manners at hand…

“We need a name,” a rainbow-maned pegasus said from her spot at the table.

“Name?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah. We’re this big, awesome group of ponies with our own castle. We need an epic name to go along.”

As Twilight looked un-amusedly, Rarity spoke up, “I actually have to agree with Rainbow on this one. It would be fitting to have a name to go along with us. A title to be recognized by,” she said.

Twilight directed her gaze to the designer for a moment before sighing, “Fine. Any ideas?”

“Rainbow Dash’s Awesome Council of Awesomeness,” one eager voice piped up.

“Rainbow,” Twilight said, looking to her, “You know we can’t use that.”

“That wasn’t me Twilight,” Rainbow said, holding back a smile.

“That was me!” Pinkie exclaimed, “I knew you would look at Dashie when you heard that so I said it first.”

Twilight shot an incredulous look.

“But I like that idea,” the actual Rainbow said, “I second the motion!” she yelled theatrically.

“That’s not how it works, Rainbow,” Twilight lectured, “A second only allows us to vote on it. Then we need a majority vote, which in this case is two-thirds of us.”

“So let’s vote on it then! Pinkie and I say yes. What about you Fluttershy? You’re with us, right?” she prompted.

“Oh! Um… yes?” she said, living up to her name.

“Great. Now we need just one more vote!” Rainbow called out.

An image of announcing “Rainbow Dash’s Awesome Council of Awesomeness” to a Canterlot crowd consisting of thousands from across Equestria flashed across Twilight’s mind. She shuddered.

“I vote no,” she said, “That would never work. We represent friendship and harmony, not… awesomeness. We need something that fits us. Don’t you agree Rarity, Applejack?” she hinted none-too-subtly.

“Yes,” they agreed honestly, drawing a displeased look from Rainbow.

“Well, now that that’s been taken care of, I’d like to put my own suggestion forward. How about The Council of Friendship?”

“No way,” Rainbow objected, “That’s boring. If we have to do something like then how about…” she put a hoof to her chin. Twilight raised an eyebrow. “The Glorious Council of Friendship.” Rainbow smirked triumphantly.

Twilight shot a look that asked “really?” She turned to the other four. “Any seconds?”

“I second!” the party pony of the group agreed.

“…Any dissenters to the name?” she deadpanned. She held up her own hoof.

No other hooves came up.

“Wait, what? Seriously girls?”

“It’s got a nice ring to it,” Applejack said with a non-serious smile.

“It adds a level of grandeur to us,” Rarity elaborated.

“It’s… nice.”

Twilight stared at them all for a moment then knit her eyebrows. “As much as I’d like...” she stressed the word. “…to agree with you all, I’m afraid I cannot allow a name like that. I veto this measure.”

“Since when could you just veto things you don’t like?” Rainbow challenged.

“First, it’s not because I don’t like it. It’s because it’s for the better of this council. Second, I could veto ever since I became head of this council.”

“Why are you the head?”

“Because I’m the Princess of Friendship here,” she said, smiling. “But it is possible to override my vetoes with a unanimous agreement between you all.”

“Like the one we just had?” Applejack commented.

She dropped her smile. “Oh… Well then…” She tried to ignore Rainbow’s smile as she said begrudgingly, “From now on we are… The Glorious Council of Friendship…”

The sound of Rainbow and Pinkie snickering could be heard.

Twilight sighed. “Anyways, the reason I called you all here is so we can discuss what it means to be a government council for our subjects for now on. Now, if you’ll direct your attention to the board, I’ve prepared a thirty-eight page slide show. Here’s some paper to take notes with.”

She lit her projector, revealing a slide full of notes in the smallest possible font. “Firstly, our primary purpose is to blah, blah, and blah. We must blah to blah for the blah and blah the blahiest of blah.” That’s what Rainbow heard, at least.

Five minutes later, Rainbow looked down at her notes. She was surprised and pleased with the amount she’d actually taken. Even if it only consisted of the word blah. Notes were notes, she thought. She looked up at the monotone lecture of Twilight’s and then at her friends. They were clearly as bored as her already but were at least faking attention to be nice.

Then she got an idea.

“I’d like to call a vote,” she announced.

“Huh?” Twilight asked, looking up from her notes.

“I propose our Head of Council here stop this lecture.”

As Twilight made an offended sound, Pinkie “Seconded!”

“You can’t be serious,” Twilight said.

“Ah agree,” Applejack laughed.

“Really, Applejack? What about you Rarity? Surely you see the importance of this.”

She looked with her best poker face before sheepishly smiling, “Maybe we can continue this another time?”

“Rarity! Ugh, fine. I veto this measure.”

“Oh, come on Twyrant,” Rainbow jeered, “Loosen up.”

“This is important stuff you all have to learn. Even the Princesses had to learn all this. And this is only chapter one of the lecture!”

“Oh, don’t be so frowny-face,” Pinkie said, “We’re just having a bit of fun. Right Rainbow?”

“Huh? Oh, right… Hey, we haven’t heard from Fluttershy on this matter,” she added mischievously.

“Um… I…”

“Fluttershy?” Twilight said, eyeing her.

“…I agree with Rainbow.”

“Fluttershy!”

“I’m sorry!” she called, “Maybe another time? Like Rarity said?”

“Hmph. Fine. Lecture’s over,” she brought back her smile, “But that just gives us more time to start the next lecture.” One burst of magic later and the slide shifted to the next section.

Rainbow looked at her for one moment before yelling, “I motion to take away Twilight’s speaking rights!”

“Seconded!” Pinkie yelled back.

Twilight glared at her, “You wouldn’t.”

Rainbow smiled back devilishly. “Who’s with me?”

All but a lavender hoof raised.

“What?! Why?”

“Uh-uh, Twilight,” the flier said, “You can’t talk right now.”

“No, this is ridiculous. You can’t-”

“Don’t tell me good old Twilight is goin’ to break the law,” Applejack said, holding back her laughter.

Twilight opened her mouth then closed it. Glaring at each of them, she magicked two words onto the board.

Meeting adjourned.

Comments ( 22 )

And then Twilight changed it to a dictatorship.

Comment posted by Still Wearing Black deleted Oct 15th, 2014
CCC

5117005

Perhaps they're still quorate even when Spike's off in canterlot on royal business.

There's also the castle name the Friendship Rainbow Kingdom.

Cute story~:rainbowlaugh:

I would have written, "Nice prank. Here's mine." and teleported them above the lake after temporarily locking Rainbows wings.

I mean none of them negotiated so... a prank for a prank.

Tirek, that took thousand’s to ten thousand’s magic for his own nefarious purposes.

tens of

and you need to restructure a bit so we know what he took, and what he took from [yes those of us who've seen the season 4 finale know. But there are a lot of peeps who've refused to see anything past S2. That and it's always good to be clear / descriptive of these things.]
___________________________


5121306

I'd have teleported them to the moon, and ask "How's the weather?"


5116981

Honestly she should've learned from other nations and learned that as a "Princess" and having been taught polotics, her veto's can't be over turned. Her council is just there to make the government process easier, but they don't really count towards anything. At least not without the proper lessons [as the Princesses had to go through]. But if she becomes a dictator, we all know who's fault it is. =>:rainbowlaugh:.

5117005
Who, Discord?

5118564 What does quorate mean?

CCC

5123866

Quorate: Having enough people present at a meeting to make decisions, even if not everyone's there.

Comment posted by Still Wearing Black deleted Nov 30th, 2014
Comment posted by eLLen deleted Nov 30th, 2014
Comment posted by Still Wearing Black deleted Oct 16th, 2014

It looks like Twilight is the only one taking this seriously. Thats okay though because Equestria has gotten on just fine for thousands of years without the council of friendship.

Blog about what happened to the second chapter can be found here.

I do look forward as to how they'll present this in Season 5

Twyrant! :rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh: You have made my day! THAT WAS BRILLIANT AND WELL EXECUTED! Two thumbs up for the story.

That was funny! :rainbowlaugh: Rainbow is so annoying! :facehoof: Everyone seemed perfectly in character. Overall, great story!

Really? I had two entirely different words in mind. They rhyme with "Duck Moo".

Well I liked second chapter too :)

I'm glad you didn't delete it outright and left it in a blog.

Login or register to comment