• Published 31st May 2014
  • 2,063 Views, 39 Comments

Kindred Spirits - Synthetic Soul



It's Scootaloo and her human against the world.

  • ...
10
 39
 2,063

Chapter 10: Better

The wheels of Scootaloo’s scooter tore through the dirt of Sweet Apple Acres as she sped towards the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse. The young filly could feel faint wet drops falling from the sky, hitting her fur. She looked up to see rain clouds filling the sky. She had to get home soon, or else the rain would wet the ground, making it soft and harder for her to gain traction. She took on a determined look, and increased her speed.

The Pegasus made it to the clubhouse just as the rain started to pour. She parked her scooter, and hung her helmet, and then she scurried up the walkway, throwing the door open. She entered the clubhouse, and shut the door behind her. She looked to see Kyle resting in the same spot she had left him. He was still asleep, though he was shaking slightly. Scootaloo made her way over to him, and sat down.

“Alright…let’s do this.”

The filly reached into her saddlebag, and pulled out the vial of medicine and the syringe. She popped the top off of the vial, and set it down in front of her. She then took the syringe, and removed the protective cap. She put the needle into the vial, and plunged out the liquid medicine. Scootaloo held up the needle, a shiver running down her spine.

“I hate shots,” she said. She was just glad that Kyle wasn’t conscious for this, as she assumed he probably wasn’t a fan of needles either. If she had a choice, she wouldn’t be poking a hole into her friend. But she didn’t have a choice. So, she grit her teeth, and did what she had to do. Scootaloo pulled Kyle’s sleeve back, revealing his bare arm.

The filly took a deep breath to steady herself. She then took the needle, and stuck it into the humans arm. It wasn’t as easy as she thought, and she had to put a little bit of effort to get the needle in. But, she was careful not to stick it too deep, that it might damage the muscle. She then pressed on the plunger, injecting the medicine. She then removed the syringe, packed up the supplies, and put them back in her saddlebag.

“There…that should do it. Celestia, I hope I did this right.” Scootaloo stood up, and carried her saddlebag to set it off to the side. She then made her way back to Kyle. She then reached down, and gave the young boy a hug.

“You’ll be better soon…I know you will.”


It had been hours, but Scootaloo could not sleep. She had tried, but her mind was too restless. So she just sat there by the window, watching the rain hit the glass, and the lighting striking in the sky.

She had been thinking about her situation. In such a short time, the human and her had grown very close. She had been willing to break into a veterinarian’s, and steal medicine for him. She wondered if her friends would be willing to go to such lengths for her.

‘Of course they would…they’re my best friends.’ She thought. She then looked back at the sleeping human. ‘But he’s also my best friend.’ It was true; she cared a great deal for the human. And unlike Applebloom and Scootaloo, she was able to confide with him her deepest secret, the fact that she was an orphan, and homeless. It was something the two of them shared.

‘Maybe I should introduce him to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. Maybe we could make him a Cutie Mark Crusader! But that would mean revealing our secret…maybe there’s a way around telling them the truth.’

‘But first things first, he needs to get better.’ Scootaloo looked back at her friend. She just hoped that he got better soon.

Suddenly, she could hear a light moaning coming from the boy. She saw Kyle’s eyes slowly blink open. She then quickly scampered to his side.

“Hey…hey Kyle,” she said softly. The boy’s eyes drifted to look at her.

“S-scoota…loo?”

“Yeah…it’s me. How are you feeling?”

“Not super great,” he replied.

“Yeah, you were pretty sick. But I think you’re going to get better now.”

“What happened?”

“You got bit by an animal. You had rabies…but don’t worry, I got you medicine! It should help you get better!”

“How’d you get that?” he questioned.

“…Don’t worry about it…the important thing is that you’re doing better now. Do you need anything?”

“My mouth is kinda dry,” said the human, smacking his lips.

“Oh, ok! I’ll go get some water!” Scootaloo quickly scampered off and grabbed her canteen. She then made her way to the door, opened it, and went outside. There, she unscrewed the cap of the canteen, and held it out to capture the rain falling form the sky. It took a few moments, but she was able to fill it a decent amount. She then made her way back inside, now wet from the rain. She went back to Kyle’s side, and put the canteen to his lips.

“Here,” she said. The human started drinking big thirsty gulps, taking in all the water he could. When it was just about empty, Scootaloo retracted the canteen.

“Better?” she asked. Kyle nodded his head.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo screwed the cap back on the canteen, and set it aside.

“I wish my mom was here,” said Scootaloo. “She always knew how to make me feel better when I was sick.”

“Yeah…mine too,” replied the human. “The best part about being sick was that I got to stay home from school. My mom would make me chicken soup, and I’d sit in bed watching cartoons.”

“…Chicken soup?” questioned Scootaloo, with an uneasy look on her face.

“Oh…yeah,” said Kyle, realizing he’s slipped up and told Scootaloo something he had preferred to keep a secret.

“Is that like…soup made from chickens?” Kyle nodded; now fearing that he’d just lost his only friend in this world. He knew ponies didn’t eat meat, and was now worried that she would think him some kind of beast for eating it.

“So, humans eat meat then?” the Pegasus questioned.

“Yeah…” replied the human. The two waited in silence for a few moments, waiting for the other to say something. Finally, Kyle broke the tension.

“You probably think it’s disgusting don’t you?” asked Kyle.

“Well, ponies don’t eat meat. But, I mean, my friend Fluttershy has a lot of animals, some of which eat meat. She actually taught me and my friends about carnivores and omnivores, and how they needed to eat meat to stay healthy. So…if you have to eat meat…well, it doesn’t matter to me.”

There was silence for a few moments, before Kyle spoke up again.

“Thanks Scootaloo.”

After a while of neither one speaking, Scootaloo decided to ask a question.

“So…what was your mom like?”

“She was great. She always knew how to make me feel better when I was sad or sick. She was really nice, and funny too…what about yours?”

“Honestly, not that different. I loved her, my father too. I just wish they were still around.”

Kyle thought for a moment, before deciding to tell Scootaloo stories about his parents, and his life on earth. The two would spend the rest of the night, simply talking about their lives, before they lost their families. It brought joy to them to be able to relive the good times, and share their stories with each other.

It helped them grow closer. By the time the sun rose, they had learned so much about each other.

It was almost like they had known each other for years.

Comments ( 6 )

i think its safe to set this ship sailing

But they're minors.

8601879 it doesn't matter if they are okay the word minors is not a thing in equestria alright

Comment posted by cccvvvttt deleted May 8th, 2018
Login or register to comment