• Published 31st May 2014
  • 2,062 Views, 39 Comments

Kindred Spirits - Synthetic Soul



It's Scootaloo and her human against the world.

  • ...
10
 39
 2,062

Chapter 6: A pretty good day...mostly

School went as usual for Scootaloo. She sat in the classroom, doing her best not to look bored. School wasn’t really her thing. She wasn’t an egghead; she was an athlete and daredevil like her hero Rainbow Dash. But she knew that if she didn’t start putting more effort into her schoolwork, Cheerilee would probably try to contact her parents about the issue. So, Scootaloo decided to start putting more effort into her education.

But of course, she wasn’t the perfect student. The longer she stayed in class, listening to the lesson, the more her mind drifted. The main object of her imagination was her excited thoughts about how after school she was getting her first flight lesson from Rainbow Dash. Finally, she was going to learn from the best, fastest flyer in all of Equestria!

Scootaloo was roused out of her thoughts by the sound of the school bell ringing. She looked up from her desk, and saw the rest of the students now getting up out of their seats, grabbing their lunch, and heading out of the room.

“Come on Scoots, it’s time for lunch,” said Sweetie Belle as she and Applebloom walked past her. Scootaloo grabbed her lunch, and followed her friends out the door. The three went outside, and parked themselves at their usual table. They took out their lunches, and started to eat. Scootaloo had brought leftovers of the food that Kyle had given her.

“So, do you guys want to go crusading after school?” asked Applebloom.

“Sounds good to me!” replied Sweetie Belle.

“I actually can’t, I’ve got plans,” said Scootaloo.

“Huh? What are you doing?” asked Applebloom.

“Rainbow Dash is gonna give me my first flight lesson today after school!”

“Oh really? That’s great Scootaloo!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle.

“Sure is! I can’t think of anypony better to teach y’all how to fly than Rainbow Dash!” said Applebloom.

“She’d have to be a miracle worker to get you sorry flank off the ground!” All three crusaders turned to see the cocky smirk of their local bully, laughing at them, once again.

“Diamond Tiara, can’t you let us have one lunch in piece?” questioned Sweetie Belle.

“Hmpf. Of course not! Somepony needs to remind you of your place!” said Diamond Tiara. Scootaloo looked Diamond dead in the eye, having enough of her crap to last a lifetime.

“You know what Diamond Tiara? I think the reason you pick on us, is because you honestly have nothing better to do. You have no friends except for Silver Spoon, and no pony here likes you. You’re so much of a loser that you have nothing better to do than pick on us. So why don’t you just get lost, and leave us alone!” finished Scootaloo with a yell. Diamond reared back in shock, eyes widened. She just stood there, stunned into silence, until her mind started working again. Her face changed into one of anger.

“Why you miserable little blank flank! You’re the loser! All you three do is chase impossible to reach dreams, that someday you’ll get your cutie marks, but let me tell you this; you’ll never find your special talents, because you don’t have any! You three aren’t good at anything, and never will be! And YOU Scootaloo, you could train with Rainbow Dash for centuries, and it still wouldn’t make a difference! You’re going to be a flightless chicken for the rest of your pathetic life!” Finished with her rant, Diamond Tiara turned and left, leaving the three crusaders to fume. As soon as Diamond had left, Applebloom turned to face Scootaloo.

“Are you ok Scootaloo?” she asked.

“Yeah. I’m fine.”

“You sure?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah. Yeah, I am, because I know I’m going to prove her wrong. Starting today, I am going to learn to fly. She’ll see.”

“That’s a great attitude to have Scoots!” said Applebloom. Honestly, Scootaloo felt pretty good. She’d told off Diamond Tiara, she had her friends with her, and she was going to learn to fly from her idol. Nothing could go wrong today!


Kyle was walking, or rather stumbling through the orchard, trying to make his way to the west orchard. But his stomach was killing him. He felt absolutely sick to his stomach. He had sweat on his face, and he was coughing pretty heavily having finally made it to the west orchard, he fell to his hands and knees. In a heave, he began throwing up the contents of his stomach.

Tears came from his eyes as he threw up everything he’d eaten. His jaw locked up, causing an intense pain, causing more tears to flow. As the boy neared the end of his ordeal, he used his hand to massage his jaw, trying to get it to relax enough to close. After he finished hurling, he stood up, continuing to rub his jaw. After a few more seconds, he was finally able to shut his mouth. He breathed in and out deeply. He walked over to an apple tree, and sat down against it, with his eyes closed.

‘I wonder what made me so sick…maybe it was the meat?’ thought the young boy. He just sat there, resting. He still felt sick, but not as sick as before he had threw up. After a few minutes, he heard his stomach grumble. He opened his eyes, and looked up to an apple tree next to the one he was lying against. He could see a bright shiny apple hanging from one of the branches. He decided that an apple would do him good. He got up from his sitting position, and walked over to the tree.

When he reached the tree, he grabbed the lowest branch, and hoisted himself up. He climbed his way up the tree, making his way to the apple he had seen. Actually, he couldn’t really see any other good apples. They all looked rotten, all except for the one he was after. When he reached the branch, he reached out, and plucked the apple from the stem.

Kyle examined the apple, before rubbing it on his shirt, and then proceeded to take a bite. The apple was unbelievably juicy, and delicious. He’d had some apples from the orchard before, and just like each time it was delicious. The boy closed his eyes as he savored the taste. As he was chewing, he felt something on his shoulder, which was followed immediately by a sharp pain in that spot.

“OW!” Kyle dropped the apple, and put his hand to his shoulder. He heard the sound of a hissing rodent, along with the flapping of leathery wings. He turned his head and saw a monstrous looking bat flying away from him. Tears came to his eyes, and he felt warm liquid starting to soak into his shirt. He climbed back down the tree as quick as he could, and landed on the ground. He walked he removed his hand from the wound and looked at it. His hand had blood all over it.

‘What am I gonna do?’ he thought. He couldn’t go to the clubhouse yet, school was bound to be over by now, and Scootaloo’s friends were bound to be there now. It appeared as though he was going to have to wait. Besides, he was starting to feel a bit tired. He decided to look for a place to take a nap for a while. There was no harm in that.

Author's Note:

I looked up rabies, and found out that symptoms take at least a few days to develop, so this is Magic Equestrian Rabies, symptoms develop a lot quicker than normal rabies. Yeah, I just invented a new type or rabies. No one can stop me now...:pinkiecrazy: