• Published 31st May 2014
  • 2,063 Views, 39 Comments

Kindred Spirits - Synthetic Soul



It's Scootaloo and her human against the world.

  • ...
10
 39
 2,063

Chapter 8: Rush for the cure

The sound of a solid object, being dragged up the clubhouse ramp could be heard, as Scootaloo struggled to get Kyle back into the structure they called home. Scootaloo had been dragging him by her teeth, trying to get him back to safety. All the while, the human child convulsed violently every few minutes. He would vomit as well, soaking his clothes.

By the time Scootaloo got Kyle back to the clubhouse, it was evening. She dragged him across the floor, and laid him down as gently as she could. She left his side for a brief moment, before returning with a pillow. She lifted his head, and set the pillow beneath it, letting him rest as comfortably as possible.

After she did this, Scootaloo took a moment to assess his situation. He was sweating, and shaking, but he didn’t seem to be throwing up anymore. Scootaloo had heard him tell her that a bat bit him, and she could tell that his intense sickness was due to being infected by rabies. But how was she supposed to help him? She wasn’t a doctor, and obviously she couldn’t bring him to one, or else he’d be exposed. And Celestia knows what would happen if that happened.

Scootaloo started pacing in a circle, trying to think of a solution to her problem. She knew she had to think of something quickly, or Kyle was only going to get worse. But after a few minutes of trying, with no luck, Scootaloo was starting to get frustrated. Sitting down, she took her front hooves and started banging them on against her head, trying to come up with an idea. But with no luck, she let out an exasperated groan.

“Darn it! What am I supposed to do?” she cried. Shutting her eyes, she started doing deep breathing exercises that Fluttershy had once taught her, trying to calm down.

‘Breath in…breath out…breath in…breath out…be calm, just like Fluttershy…Wait, Fluttershy?’

The thought of the animal loving mare sparked an idea in Scootaloo. Fluttershy knew all about animals, and how to take care of them. If she could ask anypony about how to cure Kyle’s rabies, it would be Fluttershy.

“That’s it!” cried Scootaloo. She quickly made her way to Kyle to check on him once more before she left. Confirming that he was still breathing, she nodded her head in confidence. “Don’t worry Kyle, I know what to do! You just hang in there ok?” She didn’t expect a response, nor did she get one, but satisfied enough, Scootaloo dashed out the door. She ran down to her scooter, and put on her helmet, before setting off at full speed, towards Fluttershy’s cottage.


Fluttershy sat on her comfortable couch in her living room, enjoying the taste of warm tea, and a good book. All her animals had been taken care of, and she had the rest of the day to relax, and take some personal time.

Just finishing the seventh chapter of her book, Fluttershy was about to get up and refill her tea, when she heard a knock at her door.

“Oh, I wonder who that could be?” questioned the butter yellow Pegasus. She marked her place in her book, and set it down on her coffee table. She then got up off of her couch and made her way towards the door.

Fluttershy opened the door, and looked down to see a familiar orange Pegasus standing in front of her.

“Oh, hello Scootaloo!” greeted the mare.

“Oh, hi Fluttershy,” said Scootaloo, though Fluttershy noticed she was slightly out of breath.

“Are you ok Scootaloo? You seem to be breathing a little deeply,” questioned the Pegasus.

“Oh, I’m fine. I was just working on some scooter tricks is all.”

“Oh, alright. So, what brings you by?”

“Well, the girls and I were thinking of new ideas to get our cutie marks, and one of the ideas we had had to do with being veterinarians. I was wondering if it was ok to ask you a few questions about it, since you know so much about animals.”

“I’d be happy to! Um, where are Applebloom and Sweetie Bell?” questioned Fluttershy, looking from side to side.

“Oh, um, we’re each gathering information on separate crusades. My job was to talk to you about information on being a vet.

“Well, alright. Come on in, care for some tea?”


Scootaloo’s plan was going on without a hitch so far. She had decided to ask Fluttershy various questions about animals and how to take care of them when they get injured or sick. Then, after a few minutes, she’d slip in a question about rabies. She needed to find out as soon as possible, but she couldn’t appear to be to impatient, or Fluttershy might become suspicious, though she probably wouldn’t let it on.

And so, Scootaloo spent a few minutes just asking basic and general questions about animal medicine, such as what to give an animal that has a cold, how to treat an injury, and questions of the like. She pretended to write down the answers to the questions on a notepad she had brought with her, but really she only planned on writing down what the treatment for rabies was. When she felt she had gotten enough basic information, she decided to ask about rabies. She set her tea cup down on the coffee table, and cleared her throat.

“So Fluttershy, I did have one more question,” said Scootaloo.

“Oh, what is it?” responded the yellow mare.

“Well, I was wondering, how do you treat an animal that has rabies?”

“Well, actually, for the longest time, we didn’t have a cure for rabies. It could be prevented with a shot, but if it developed fully, it was almost always fatal.” Scootaloo’s iris’s shrunk, as she heard what Fluttershy had said.

‘F-fatal?’

“But, recently, an amazing new breakthrough has been made. About a year ago, doctors came up with an actual cure for the disease. It’s a simple magically enhanced shot. If it’s injected strait into the bloodstream, it can usually cure any case of rabies.”

Letting out a sigh of relief, Scootaloo felt herself calm significantly.

“So uh, what’s this cure called?”

“Oh, I believe it’s called Rabexanol.” Scootaloo jotted down the name of the medicine on her notepad. As she finished, she closed the pad, and put it in her bag.

“Well, I think that’s everything I needed. Thanks Fluttershy!” said Scootaloo, as she hopped off of her seat.

“Oh, it was my pleasure Scootaloo! Just make sure not to try to practice on any real animals, alright?” said Fluttershy, with a hint of worry, knowing that the CMC usually took some of there crusades too far.

“Don’t worry Fluttershy, we won’t!” assured Scootaloo, as she made her way towards the door. Fluttershy opened it, and let Scootaloo out. Fluttershy waved goodbye as Scootaloo put her helmet on, and mounted her scooter. She returned the wave, before buzzing her wheels, propelling her vehicle. Her destination: Ponyville Veterinarian Center.


Kyle lay on the floor of the CMC clubhouse alone, shivering, and shaking. Sweat dripped down his face as he did. Luckily for him, he wasn’t awake to experience the trauma he was going through. Instead, he was experiencing things inside his own mind, through a fever dream.

Inside his dream, the boy stood alone, in the center of a town. Unlike the buildings he had come to know from his world, these ones were styled with a more old fashion design, featuring straw thatched roofs, and standard wooden walls, like something out of a storybook.

Kyle looked around, taking in the sights. This town was so beautiful, so peaceful. It was truly a sight to behold. The human took a moment to breath in the fresh air. He could smell delightful scents. Flowers and baked goods drifted into his senses. He shut his eyes, and enjoyed moment.

Suddenly, he felt something collide with the back of his head. He fell forward onto his knees, and put his hand to his head, feeling a wet, drippy substance. His hand felt a piece of the object that had hit his head, and he pulled it out of his hair, revealing it to be a rubbery red piece, of what appeared to be a tomato. Kyle turned his head to see who had thrown it at him.

What he saw was a group of ponies, aggressively shouting at him. Only, these ponies were different than those he’d experienced in real life. They all had extremely long legs, at least 3 times as tall as their bodies. They had elongated necks as well, and their faces were snarled, almost feral looking. Kyle could pick out words coming from the group, shouting things like; “freak”, “monster” and “abomination.”

They then started throwing things at the human child, including fruit, vegetables, and other food items. Kyle quickly got to his feet, and started running away from the group, but unfortunately for him, they gave chase, continuously throwing things at him. He’d run as fast as he could, but ever time he found a corner to turn to, there were more ponies blocking his path.

They chased him for minutes, until he eventually came to a corner, leading to an alleyway. He sprinted in, hoping for a way out, but unfortunately for him, it was a dead end. The young boy turned, hoping to get out, before he was cornered, but it turned out to be too late. The ponies chasing him were gathered in front of him, looking even more menacing than before.

The ponies, snarling and angry began advancing on him, taking slow steps towards him. He backed himself against the wall as far as he could, but sadly, he couldn’t go any further. The ponies, still advancing, continued shouting hateful words towards the child. Tears coming to his eyes, Kyle dropped down, and put his arms in front of him in an attempt to protect himself.

The ponies continued to advance, and Kyle knew he was doomed. He shut his eyes in an attempt to hide himself from their nasty glares, but he knew they would be on him any moment. Just then, Kyle heard a voice, louder than the crowd.

“Leave him alone!” shouted the voice. Kyle opened his eyes, and looked in front of him. Something had changed. Out of nowhere, a pony was now standing in front of him, coming to his aid. This pony wasn’t oddly proportioned like the others. This pony was a small, orange Pegasus, with a purple mane. She stood in front of Kyle like a mother lion protecting her cub.

“S-scootaloo?” questioned the boy.

“Get out of the way!” screamed one of the ponies in the mob.

“No! I won’t let you hurt my brother!” replied the Pegasus.

“B-brother?” questioned Kyle.

“Get away from that freak!” shouted another pony in the group.

“NO! I won’t let you hurt him! He’s been there for me, when nopony else was! I won’t abandon him!”

‘She really cares,' thought Kyle, as he stood up from the ground. A newfound sense of confidence filling him, Kyle walked forward, standing beside Scootaloo.

“That’s right! We stand together!” Suddenly, the monstrous ponies began to retreat, recoiling from the sight, like vampires from the sun. The scene started to melt away, and soon, the dark alleyway had turned into a familiar field. Kyle and Scootaloo now stood alone in front of the tree house they both called home.

“Are you okay?”

Kyle turned to face the orange filly, with a smile on his face.

“I am, thanks to you,” replied the boy.

“Hey, that’s what friends are for,” said Scootaloo with a smile.

“Did you really mean what you said. About me being your brother?” asked Kyle.

“Of course I did. After all, at the end of the day, we’re always there for each other.”

“T-thanks Scootaloo.” With smiles on their faces, the two orphans both hugged each other.

“No problem. After all, we are kindred spirits.”

Author's Note:

Hey, I finally updated this story! Sorry I've been gone so long, I swear, I just went out for a pack of smokes, I didn't expect to be gone this long.

Actually though, I've had a bit of demand for these two other stories of mine, plus I recently finished my first story, so I've been a bit busy with those. I think I'll try to update some of my older stories now, though it's kind of hard to get back into it, what with not updating in so long.

Anyways, thanks for waiting. Peace out