• Published 4th Sep 2014
  • 5,259 Views, 185 Comments

Chemistry - Fuzzyfurvert



Could you trust a pony that can make you love them, no matter what? Could you trust a friend with a secret past you've recently discovered? Twilight would really like answers to these questions.

  • ...
26
 185
 5,259

She Drives Me Crazy(Fine Young Cannibals;1989)

Chemistry Chapter 8: She Drives Me Crazy

by Fuzzyfurvert

Birds chirped happily outside the window to the royal suite, in the warm morning sunlight, waking Cadance from her slumber. Normally, Shining Armor roused her with his early morning guardstallion routine, or one of her fillies-in-waiting would come by before the sun was fully up. She blinked, trying to make sense of the situation, but her mind pulled up blank. Cadance stretched languidly, racking her mind for when she’d even gotten in bed, but her memory refused to cooperate. Idly, she noted that she felt surprisingly well rested and refreshed, however odd the morning might start off. She rolled over to see if Shining was also awake, her eyes widening in surprise when she saw his half of the bed empty.

Princess Cadance slowly untangled herself from the bedsheets, looking around for her missing companion. She still couldn’t recall when she had gone to bed precisely, but she did vaguely remember being with her husband just before she must have passed out. The last thing she could clearly remember from the previous evening was meeting Shining in the Crystal Municipalities Office. They had gone into his personal office and then...her memory went sort of blank.

Impressions of heat, pressure, something hard pressing into her knees, and a flash of purple was all her mind could cobble together of the rest of the evening. Cadance knew she’d fought off the desire during the long flight home, but she only had the one dose of medication. It didn’t take much to put two and two together of what happened after she got back, if the gentle soreness she could feel across her hips was any indicator. However, if she wanted a full recollection of the night, she would need to speak to Shining.

Cadance climbed out of the bed and was just about to call out his name when she noticed him. Shining, still fast asleep, on a pile of towels just inside their bathroom.

“Shining?” Cadance spoke softly, moving over to the stallion, and kneeled down to look him over. “Darling? What are you doing out here on the floor?”

Shining stirred and yawned deeply, a bit of drool trailing from the corner of his mouth. He looked up at Cadance with unfocused eyes. “‘M-morin’...love. Sleep ok?”

Cadance smiled lopsidedly, her brows pinching. “I slept fine. What are you doing on the floor in the bathroom? You look terrible.”

“I’m...fine.” Shining shook himself, blinking rapidly to clear his eyes. “Don’t you remember last night?”

She looked at him blankly, her smile melting away. “I remember visiting Dr. Open Heart in the morning, then the flight home with the stop over at the cabin, then…” Cadance paled, shuddering slightly, “it all becomes frightfully blurry after I visited your office. When did I go to bed?”

Cadance tilted her head, watching Shining’s face as he continued to wake up. Suddenly, something in her memory ticked over and she recalled burying her head between Twilight’s…No! That was a dream! Cadance felt her heart speed up, her memory of the previous night starting to clear.

She took a step back to give her husband room to stand. Shining struggled for a moment to get his stiff limbs to obey. Cadance winced when he groaned in pain. “It was a relapse...wasn’t it? I didn’t hurt anypony, did I?”

“Only this pony.” Shining Armor grinned tiredly and turned with obvious discomfort to the sink, his horn lighting up to start the water running. “I’m a little chafed, to be honest, but I’ve survived worse.” He splashed cold water on his face, rubbing at his eyes with a hoof. “Don’t worry sweetheart, I threw up a shield to be on the safe side while I took a shower. When I got out, you were still sleeping, but the bedroom was full of your magic. I thought it best to just sleep outside until it calmed down.”

Cadance sagged, her ears flattening against her skull. “Shinny...we...I can’t keep this up. It’s getting worse. I-I had two yesterday! I think.” She leaned against the door frame, closing her eyes tightly. She shuddered again and wrapped her wings around her barrel in a tight hug. “I had two relapses, Shinny. One here and another between here and Vanhoover.”

“You did?” Shining’s voice was quiet and she heard him turn off the sink faucet. “You didn’t tell me about that.”

Cadance nodded, closing her wings tighter against her body. Her muscles started to remember the rough day, the long flights to and from Vanhoover, her solo session in the cabin, and then the time in Shining’s office. The refreshed state she’d woken in vanished like a candle being snuffed out, only to be replaced with soreness and aches. “I didn’t want to...I didn’t want you to worry. I want to say it’s been getting worse. Stronger. The medication isn’t helping as much as before, I think. But...I’m honestly not sure.”

“You said that Dr. Open Heart was making you a new batch of your medication?” Shining stepped over to Cadance and put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. Her head dipped instinctively, nestled into the crook of his neck and shoulder. “I sent one of my aids to fetch it. If the trains are on schedule, they should be back before breakfast.”

Cadance choked a sob into Shining’s shoulder. She could feel the tears forming, but she’d be damned if she was going to cry. “I need it, Shining, I have to have it. I have to put this monster back in it’s cage.”

“You’re not a monster, Cadance.”

Am I so sure of that myself, though? Cadance bit back another sob and grit her teeth hard enough to make her jaw pop. Images, memories of her hallucinatory visions and dreams about Twilight filled her head. Even with Shining holding her, his scent filling her muzzle, she could still feel the that thing inside her stir. Am I a monster? Is this thing in me, actually separate? Or is it just me? Do I truly want to do those things with Twilight of all ponies?

“Cadance?” Shining Armor leaned back to look down at his wife. “Are you alright?”

She sucked in a deep breath and held it for a long count to ten. She let it hiss out between her teeth and then looked up at Shining, her violet eyes tinged red with her barely contained tears. “Shining...I have something hard to tell you.”

“What is it?” Shining stiffened, his body bracing for the worst. “You know you can tell me anything, sweetheart.”

“I...I’ve been having hallucinations.” Her heart hammered in her ears, her cheeks flushing with some of her lost color. Cadance opened her mouth to tell Shining about her visions. About the purple coat and soft feathers that dominated her. “I...I don’t…”

“It’s alright, sweetie.” Shining gently cupped Cadance’s muzzle in his hoof, tuning it up to look into her eyes. “Take your time. Breathe.”

Her blush burned. The heat fuzzed her mind and the more she looked into Shining’s eyes, the more her confession crawled back down her throat. She couldn’t tell him that she was thinking about his sister while they were together. That would be crueler than any pain her condition had ever fostered on her. Cadance knew, then and there, she wasn’t going to let her sickness ruin the life of the pony that loved her most any more than it already had.

She took in another deep breath, letting it out in a huff before she licked her lips. “Ra-random ponies! I’ve been...imagining random poines during the relapses.” Cadance hung her head, looking away from her husband and her voice grew quieter. “I didn’t want to say anything because...because I didn’t want you to think I was being unfaithful.”

Shining Armor lifted his head, looking down at his wife. At the way she held her ears, the angle of her eyes. She was holding something back. Cadance had never been terribly good at lying outright, but obscuring and re-directing the perception of things was a skill Princess Celestia had hammered into her pretty well. Cadance said it made her a better politician.

He doubted that.

Still, regardless of whatever Cadance wasn’t telling him, hallucinations were new. He knew about the dreams, the cravings. He could tell when it was getting to her just by how she walked. A new wrinkle in her condition, now after so many years, was worrisome. New—in this case—was bad.

Shining smiled, pushing away those negative feelings. He supported Cadance no matter what, and part of being a good partner and husband was finding a way to keep his wife from tearing herself apart. “So...this ‘random pony’...she cute?”

“Wha…?” Cadance blinked up at Shining. Of course she’s cute, she’s your sister. She saw his little smirk, the one he wore whenever he was trying to find the comedy in a tragedy. He was trying to be funny by implying she was thinking of other mares. Which didn’t help that, technically, she was.

It didn’t stop her blush either, as she imagined Shining imagining her imagining being with another mare. It had been a topic of discussion in their younger days, a fantasy never fulfilled, and now her husband was offering it up to her as a way out of the implication of thinking about other stallions.

Which left her in the uncomfortable position of again only admitting a half truth. But at least she didn’t have to deal with the other half coming out just yet. Plus, a part of her rationalized, she’d still be honest. Twilight was cute. She cute? The question rang in her skull again. She cute? Cadance hung her head while her blush started to creep up to the base of her horn.

“Yeah...she cute.”


By the time the royal physicians in the castle infirmary completed their tests and had given a similar assessment to Celestia’s—minor concussion and damage to the arcane pathways in her horn—Twilight felt calm. They prescribed rest and refraining from magic use as much as possible for at least a week.

She was already resting. When she’d passed out in the legal records archive, she had felt like a boat being tossed at the rocky shore by an uncaring storm of emotion. Now she was the rocks themselves. Solid. Stoic. Hard. Doctors came and went, their words about her health and recommended regimens breaking over her like the wind and surf with not even erosion to show for it.

She was listening. Twilight did care. She was just...calm. She nodded at the appropriate times, grimacing when the room wobbled more than it should, but she offered back no input of her own.

Twilight returned to Princess Celestia’s chambers with a small bottle of pain-killing pills and stood there in uneasy silence as she was given the letter that the geas would compel her to hoof-deliver to Cadance in the Crystal Empire. A second letter was prepared and sent to Spike in Ponyville to let him know where Twilight was and to tell her friends to take care of things until her return.

While Princess Celestia made clear the conditions of the geas, Twilight continued to nod along, her mind passively absorbing the instructions. She would not be able to cross the recognized borders of Equestria until she and Cadance had made amends and become friends again, or a situation arose that required the Elements of Harmony to be used. Without any great catastrophe looming on the horizon she was aware, it looked like she would be visiting the north for some time.

Once Celestia concluded, the door to the Princess’ chambers opened and Princess Luna entered. “Sister, We have arranged for Twilight Sparkle’s transportation to the Crystal Empire.” She nodded to Twilight. “If you are ready, We shall escort you to the Canterlot train station where our personal carriage awaits.”

“Your personal carriage?” Twilight blinked, almost surprised to hear her own voice. She’d gone but a few hours uttering nothing more than a discomforted grunt, and already the words made her tongue feel odd. It’s all in my mind. There is nothing wrong with me...I should probably act like it.

“Yes, this banishment is temporary. You are the very Princess of Friendship, Twilight. We expect this entire issue to be resolved in a matter of days.” Luna shot Celestia a pointed look. “There is no reason not to see you off in comfort. You will be welcomed back into the fold with a smile and open arms. We will see to it.”

Twilight licked her lips. They felt dry and cool. She nodded to Luna and stood up carefully. The sickening tossing and turning of her vision was fading, but it was easy to set off still. “You don’t have to keep helping me like this, Princess Luna. I’ve made my bed.”

“And you shall sleep in it.”

Twilight glanced at Celestia. The Princess of the Sun had maintained her own silence after giving deadpan instructions devoid of feeling or even inflection. Most of which had been delivered while the Princess gazed out of a window overlooking her gardens. Twilight wondered if the larger pony had been looking at her reflection in the glass, watching her for every tick and twitch.

This last phrase though, was quietly full of emotions that were swirling just below the surface. The Princess sounded tired and sad. She sounded angry. She sounds like I do when I’m dictating to Spike when I’m starting to think about going back to the drawing board because an experiment failed.

Twilight swallowed and turned on her hooves with as much grace as she could muster. “I’m ready.”

Princess Luna returned Twilight’s nod and stepped aside to let the filly take the lead. She closed the door to Celestia’s chambers behind them, her longer strides catching up to Twilight a second later. She eyed Twilight out of the corner of her eye, voice low as they passed a pair of royal guards. “We are sorry this has happened, Twilight. If We had things as We wanted it, you would not have been dismissed so. However, Celestia—though her love for you is strong—cannot deal with a pony that defies her so. We should know that aspect of her mind very well indeed.”

Twilight put one hoof in front of the other, already tired from her few spoken words. Is that a side effect of concussions? Did I hit my head right over the parts that deal with speech? She frowned at the floor tiles. Is that something that gets better? Do I want it to?

“Twilight?” Luna raised an eyebrow, turning her head microscopically towards the shorter Princess. “Are you alright...besides the blow to your head, We mean? Your quiet sets Us ill at ease…”

Nothing is wrong. Twilight shrugged, keeping up the steady sway of hoof after hoof after hoof after hoof. Nothing is wrong.

Nothing is wrong.

Comments ( 20 )

dear god an update... I thank whatever astronomical forces allowed this to happen and I shall read the new chapter when fully capable of my faculties (friday :facehoof:)

Wait... what happened between Twilight and Celestia again?

7848874
Quick re-cap: Celestia sealed court documents from a case where Cadance accidentally exploded with love magic, an event that ultimately led to the conception of Twilight by her parents. Twilight was unaware of it or the details, but found out about the case. She asked Celestia to unseal them, but Celestia refused. Twilight then found a legal loophole that allowed ANY princess to open sealed legal documents, and then used it to learn more about the case despite knowing that Celestia had forbade it and Cadance has not given any form of consent.

tldr: Twilight broke trust and Celestia is punishing hor that breach of trust.

Update!!!!! Yes!!

Will read once I get a break at work. So glad you decided to continue this story.

7848904 In my honest opinion, Celestia should have trusted Twilight with the Knowledge, now there is a very real chance of cadence having a relaps while Twilight is trying to visit and make amends, which would be bad for both princesses, and Celestia would probably end up with the blame for the entire situation going up in flames.

“You don’t have to keep helping me like this, Princess Luna. I’ve made my bed.”

“And you shall sleep in it.”

Okay, Celestia definitely knows Twilight will be... cuddled viciously. :twilightblush: Which raises the question of why she is sending her off. Perhaps because she expects some surprise cuddling to heal Cadence and/or satisfy her troublesome urges? If a fit guardspony is being worn down by the strain then an immortal alicorn cuddle-toy maybe just what the doctor ordered.

This is fantastic.

Noc

Had to re-read the whole story since it’s been so long since the last chapter. Fell in love with it all over again. Well written and characterized. I can only imagine where the story will go from here. Though the way I picture it is probably more cinematic than what you’ve got in mind …

I noticed you used to give an ETA at the end of each chapter for when the next would come out. Any chance you have a date in mind?

7858751
I've started on the next chapter, but it's still mostly an outline at this point. It is my intent to churn that out within the month, but with work and other projects, I just can't tell when that'll be. If I can set it up, I'm like for Chemistry to be on the monthly rotation list with A Dazzling Sunset and My Little Dynamite.

I wish I could give you a more firm date, but at the moment there is just too much up in the air for me to do more than ballpark it.

Noc

7858776
Hey, as long as it doesn’t end up abandoned as with so many other stories I loved, I’m happy. :twilightsmile:

why do I think twilight has some mental issue as well that will have her go see a doctor for medication,

good story hope to see more of it

I don't really don't like to type of stories because it's just pointless grimdark and nonsense melodrama...

Who really even enjoys that type of stuff

Just started reading this story and so far it is pretty good. On the other hand, there is Celestia. When she was first introduced in this story, I thought she was great with how jovial and informal she was with Twilight. But after what she did to Twilight, even when she didn't even do anything illegal, has to be one of the scummiest things I have read her do. Currently the only saving grace for her is this situation is her ignorance of what Cadence is going through right now, and is assuming that her condition is in perfect control like before Discord. Please don't make Cadence unknowingly rape Twilight.

7965497
You can rest assured that that will NOT be happening.

8049251
This it the first comment this fic has gotten in a while that didn't give me heart palpitations.

Lets pray to Luna that cadence doesnt have a relapse when twilight is their. (Even though it probably will happen, plus im a fucked up gal.)

Cuz then a certain Princess *Celestia* Will have some explaining to do.

Peeple keep saying that Celestia is an asshole for what she's forcing Twilight to do. But I refuse to believe that they know what they're talking about.

Celestia gave Twilight plenty of opportunities to work this out with Cadance normally. But Twilight basically said "FUCK YOU!!!" and spat in her face when she opened that document.

That the banishment is not permanent and if Equestria needs to be saved she can return, says that Celestia holding back on a worse punishment.

But she will not be trusting Twilight for a VERY long time.


That's my two cents anyway.

I am looking forward to the next chapter. You have me hooked and it would be tragic if this story were cancelled or abandoned. Please keep writing. :fluttershysad:

So honestly I do like this and where it’s going but I just checked when it was last updated and it was since 2017… so are you gonna keep updating it or no? I’m sorry if I sound rude

Login or register to comment