• Published 4th Sep 2014
  • 5,259 Views, 185 Comments

Chemistry - Fuzzyfurvert



Could you trust a pony that can make you love them, no matter what? Could you trust a friend with a secret past you've recently discovered? Twilight would really like answers to these questions.

  • ...
26
 185
 5,259

Invisible Touch(Genesis; 1986)

Chemistry Chapter 6: Invisible Touch

by Fuzzyfurvert

Cadance glided steadily into the home stretch of her journey on a brisk breeze gusting up from the south. Air traffic was predictably light, so she flew in low over the rooftops of her city. The crystal ponies below called and waved as she passed, their adoration lifting her spirits as much as the wind lifted her body. She circled her palace once before touching down lightly on the balcony landing area where Shining had thrown her to catch the Crystal Heart just a couple of years ago. She was nearly home-free after her long trip. She just needed to speak with her husband.

Shining Armor’s office was located below her, in the wider common levels of the Crystal Palace. He could oversee both the security of the palace and the municipal planning that had consumed so much of his time lately. Cadance suspected that he liked it there because it let him avoid the throne room and the association with his new formal title as ‘Imperial Consort.’

“Consort indeed!” Cadance rolled her eyes and snorted. She paced in from the balcony slowly, careful of how much weight she put on her hoof. A pair of blocky crystal pony stallion guards stood on the other side, flanking the door. They snapped smart salutes as Cadance passed them, each uttering a greeting to their Empress. After a few more steps, Cadance paused and turned back to face them. “Excuse me gentlemen, but have either of you seen my husband come up from his office yet?”

“No, your Highness. Consort Shining Armor has been in a meeting this past hour.”

Cadance frowned. “Oh. That’s too bad.”

“Shall we alert him to your return?” The guard on the left - she wanted to say Quartz Vein - tilted his head as noticed the state of her coat and mane. “Are...are you alright, your Highness?”

“It rained.” Cadance forced herself to smile gently but it didn’t reach her eyes. She knew she was a terrible liar and turned quickly back toward the doors that lead to the lower levels, speaking as she totted away. “Don’t bother, I’ll fetch him myself.”

She passed more guards and several staff ponies as she made her way downstairs. Cadance waved off their questions and stares, a smile on her lips as she did so. Each time she used her prepared excuse it sounded more and more hollow to her ears. The lower levels, the first three floors of the building, were considerably more populated than the palace proper above. More staff, more guards and a fair amount of the general public and governmental workers filled the various halls and rooms all day and into the later hours of the evening. They each paused and bowed to her as she weaved through the crowds until she reached the large offices of the Crystal Municipalities Corps.

The area the offices were in, as with the rest of the palace, was in impeccable condition and highly organized. Whenever Twilight visited, she never failed to mention the historical nature of every structure in the empire and the significance of mundane details. The simple furniture employed in every crystal pony household technically belonged in a museum as an artifact from a past era. In the two years since the empire’s return however, modern Equestrian conveniences were being quickly incorporated.

Cadance smirked at the electrically lit sign above the doors to the Municipalities offices. Twilight had suggested that they integrate retro styled pieces in first, to slowly bring the crystal ponies up to speed with the rest of the world. Candles and gaslights still provided the majority of the lighting in the kingdom that wasn’t magically generated, but the electrically powered lights were gaining ground.

She was just thinking about how Twilight would approve of the progress they had made when she reached out to open the office and felt the lightning bolt of that all too familiar tingle shoot down her spine. It hit her like an out of control apple cart, and her knees wobbled as the door swung open. Cadance could feel it take over, the chemicals in her system too diluted to stop the heat that made her suddenly damp and sweaty. She thanked her lucky stars that Shining was so close at hoof.

All she had to do was make it to his office.

Inside the Municipalities main office, several desks - each topped to the point of overflowing with paperwork - marched in neat rows from front to back. Office ponies filed, copied and collated maps, files and public notices in bright gas lamp light from the overhead chandeliers. Shining’s personal office was located at the far end of the long room. Cadance swallowed as she looked down the gauntlet of desks and the ponies stationed at each one. They looked up at the sound of the door opening and were slowly coming to a standstill as they noticed her.

The place got very quiet, very fast.

She swallowed and nodded to everypony. She tried to put her smile back in place, but she managed only a half grimace instead. Her mane was even more frazzled than before she had returned and her coat looked like it could use several good brushing. She kept her face forward, eyes locked on the finish line, and her tail clamped down tight as she walked stiffly to the door marked with her husband’s Cutie Mark.


A purple hoof reached up and fumbled along the edge of the Equestrian Judicial Authority Library table. It gripped there for a moment before pulling a jumbled stack of papers to the floor. The pony it belonged to groaned before trying again to pull herself upright.

Twilight grunted as she righted herself and rubbed her forehead with one hoof. Her vision swam and she felt more than a little nauseous. She gently patted herself all over, but nothing felt broken. She hissed in pain when she reached her forehead. “I don’t think I’m bleeding, but that doesn’t rule out a concussion.”

The flame-lights from enchanted candles danced wildly and each turn seemed to drive another painful spike into her temple. Twilight coughed and tried to stand. Her legs wobbled and threatened to give out before she could get them properly under herself.

“A little rest and some aspirin should do you well, methinks.”

“Huh?” Twilight looked up and regretted it instantly as the world teetered drunkenly.

A dark blot on the other side of the desk moved quickly and Twilight slumped gratefully into a pair of strong hooves. “On the other hoof, perhaps you should speak to a physician. We never were good at diagnosing such things. Matters of the mind and subconscious have always been Our prevalence.”

Twilight groaned again and rested her cheek against a soft coat that smelled faintly of mint. “Oh... hey, Luna. Am I dreaming the concussion, or is this real?”

“Dream or waking, what defines what is truly real?” Luna’s serene face came into focus and the princess smiled down at Twilight. “However, to answer your question, you are dreaming. We sensed your distress all the way from the castle and came with haste to investigate.”

Luna gently lowered Twilight into a sitting position and settled next to her. She smiled but her eyes looked apologetic.

“What?”

“We must confess, Twilight, that when We found you, We scanned your memories to learn what caused your faint. We know of Mi Amore Cadenza’s transgression and her part in your own existence.” Luna was silent for a moment as Twilight took a deep breath in through her nose. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Twilight remained silent, her mind working over questions of trust she never thought she’d have to ask herself. Could she trust Cadance? Was her brother truely in love with her or was it all due to Cadance’s magic? Were they really friends, or did Cadance make her like her? How many of her foalhood memories of her sitter were true and not otherwise doctored?

After a long moment, Twilight looked up at Luna again. “Yeah...I want to talk about it.”


Cadance was almost to the office door when it opened up to reveal the unicorn she’d come to see. Shining Armor’s amicable smile faltered slightly when he noticed her. He was by her side in a second and he reached out to brush her mane aside to look her in both eyes.

“Cadance? Is something wrong, sweetheart?” Shining’s voice was low and soft and up close, Cadance could feel it rumble in her chest.

She opened her mouth, but held her tongue. Cadance wasn’t sure what might come crawling out out. Her nethers were on fire and she could feel a trickle of wetness already working it’s way down her leg. The swish of her tail against her flesh was torture. The press of ponies around her was becoming too much. She could feel the heat coming of them, smell their sweat and taste their heartbeats on her tongue.

That desire, that wild thing that was the real Cadance, wanted out. It wanted to wash away all the barriers between herself and every pony in the room so that their could indulge in-

Shining Armor leaned in closer, his voice lowered to a bare whisper. “Cadance, what’s going on? I can smell you, sweetie, it’s that strong. Come with me, into my office now.”

- their innermost fantasies. It wanted love, needed it. Cadance shivered as the touch of his breath hit her like a wave of caresses. It wanted him inside her, now. Her body burned and throbbed in time with her rapid pulse.

“I-I…” Cadance grit her teeth to keep from screaming, her volume as low as she could make it. “I need...the old fix. Dr. Open Heart has...will have...my new blend ready tomorrow...I can’t wait!”

Shining nodded and his horn flashed as he opened the door to his office and gently pushed Cadance inside before closing it again. He turned to the nearest desk and took a quill and a small scrap of paper which he immediately started to write on it.

He looked at the startled crystal mare that was piloting the desk and he passed her the note. “Take the next train to Vanhoover, go to the address on this note. An old red pony will give you a small package. Bring it-”

There was a loud crash from inside his office.

“Bring it back here ASAP, understood?”

The mare nodded as she looked askew at the closed door. “Um...ok. What’s going on with the Princess? What are you going to do, sir?”

Shining Armor took a deep breath and ran his hoof back through his mane. “I’m going to do my husbandly duties.”


Luna floated one of the envelops from the table down to the floor between where she and Twilight sat. She looked over the cover and frowned. “Our sister shall not be happy with you.”

“No,” Twilight stared at the floor, “I don’t believe she will be.”

Luna nodded. “What are you thinking about, Twilight? Surely Our sister’s impending wrath is not the thing you focus so upon?”

Twilight slowly lowered her chin to rest it on her hooves. “How do I trust her now? I’ve always known Cadance could do stuff like that, but how do I know she isn’t using her powers to make me like her? How do I know if she didn’t enslave my brother when she had that magic overload? He always told me that he fell in love with her at first sight!”

Luna shrugged. “Do you think she has ever done so? Make you like her?”

Twilight frowned. Her head hurt enough that she didn’t need to think this hard on top of everything else. Cadance was a good pony. Right? She shook her head and felt her stomach lurch in time with the world’s wobble.

“Ugh...no. At least, I don’t think so. I’m just so unsure of things, Luna.”

Luna dropped the envelope and let it join the pile of others spread out sloppily before them. “We know she is not a bad pony. Far from it, in fact. We now know that by having a helping hoof in your conception, she indirectly aided Us in being rid of the Nightmare.”

Luna paused for a long time. “Thank you for that again.”

“No problem.” Twilight continued to stare forward. It helped keep the world from spinning if she didn’t move her head. “That’s not what I meant.”

“No, We don’t suppose it was. However, We can inform you that We know not much more than you. You have always been the closest with Mi Amore Cadenza. We were on an extended sabbatical when these events transpired. If you would like, We could ask Celestia for you?”

“No, don’t. I need to talk to Cadance about this myself.”

“Aye.”


It was dark in Shining’s office. He favored dark stained wood and deep green upholstery that contrasted his coat. The air was cool, but Cadance felt like her entire body was on fire. His desk was hard against her thighs where they bumped repeatedly into the edge.

That’s going to bruise. She didn’t care. She was going to be sore in the morning from her long flight, her delay at the cabin and now this. Cadance tried, but she just didn’t care.

A cup of quills rattled off the desk to spill on the floor. She tried to focus, tried to bring up her old defenses, let the rhythm sink into her as much as her husband was. The rhythm would stabilize her breathing, allow her to re-center herself, stop the intrusive and repetitive thoughts. Those quills are the same brand Twilight likes. I gave Shining a set of them when he took an interest in city planning.

She fought to erect those barriers. To keep her desires at bay and locked away. It hurt. It was a pain without a name or a place other than her soul to keep back her nature, her lusts. She knew she must, that it wanted without thought of love or respect. It just wanted and even with Shining feeding it, it growled for more. She thought about Twilight again, her mind desperate for something to latch onto before everything faded into a blissful pink haze.

Cadance could picture Twilight, standing there in the office. Her purple coat glowing in the darkness. Twilight would move up to the desk, opposite of them, her lips parted and eyes almost closed. She could see it in her mind. Twilight was watching them, watching her specifically.

A part of Cadance’s mind told her that that was weird, Shining was in the room and on top of her. It was more than weird, it was wrong, but she didn’t care. In her imagination, Twilight reached out to touch her hoof and she could almost feel it as well as she was feeling Shining slow down and tense up. Later - she swore - she would tell him about the hallucinations.

That old familiar feeling ripped through her. It was violent in its intensity, painful as much as pleasurable.

She didn’t care.

Author's Note:

Sorry this was a little late! Next chapter should be out sometime around 10/15/14 -10/16/14