• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,280 Views, 37 Comments

Fraternization - Starlight Shadow



In an attempt to make peace between the changelings and the ponies, Chrysalis is offered a place on the Equus Council. The changeling queen gets more than she bargained for when a certain lunar princess gets involved.....

  • ...
15
 37
 3,280

Chapter Three: Discussions and Dates

Luna walked down the hallway that led to the dining room, so out of it that only the sound of her hooves clopping against the marble floors kept her in the real world.

Normally she slept during the day, with her sister managing affairs while her sun hung, golden and gleaming, in the air. Then, when Celestia lowered the sun and she raised the moon, she would handle affairs while her sister rested.

But during Council month, Celestia had insisted she take her meals during the day with the rest of the Council members. For some socialization reason. She hated Council month.

"Luna, wait up!"

Luna stopped and waited as Twilight ran up to her. "I was hoping we could walk together. I think we're the last ones to get to the dining room."

"You're usually one of the first ones there." Luna remarked, walking alongside Twilight.

"I was up late writing a letter to the girls, and I overslept. I always feel a little lonely during Council month, when I have to stay in Canterlot."

"I understand." Luna murmured absently.

"Luna?" Twilight tapped the Princess of the Night on the shoulder.

"Oh! Sorry, Twilight. Going from nocturnal to diurnal sleep is always a pain." Luna smiled apologetically.

"It's fine. I imagine I'd oversleep the first few days, too." Twilight returned the smile.

They walked alone in silence for the next portion of the trip from the sleeping quarters to the dining room. A few minutes before they reached the door, Twilight mentioned;

"Last night at dinner you suggested to Chrysalis that you and her could go flying sometime. You didn't mention a date." Maybe it was Luna's imagination, but she could have sworn she spotted a drop of sweat run down Twilight's face.

"That's because a suggestion was all it was. I assume if she really wanted to, she would have mentioned a date she could go flying."

"That's true, but maybe she was waiting for you to suggest a date."

More silence, until Luna spoke up. "Why is this such a big deal?"

"I'm not trying to make it into a big deal, Luna." Twilight spoke gently. "I'm just wondering whether you were going to or not. Because I think if you give it time, you two could become friends."

Twilight let the conversation drop after that, and the two entered the dining room.

-----

Breakfast was rather uneventful, with nothing of mention going on except the arrival of the Griffon King, Ravenclaw, who was rather dull, but kindly. Discord managed to catch Chrysalis afterward.

"Hello, Miss Chrysalis."

Chrysalis turned to face the chaos spirit, a quizzical, curious look in her turquoise eyes. "I assume you're Discord?"

"Spirit of Chaos, King of Strife, and general well-meaning prankster around these parts, that's me." He made a hat appear on his head and took it off in a bow. Chrysalis rolled her eyes and continued back to her quarters.

"Hey, wait!" Discord flew after her, stopping next to her. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

Chrysalis raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Last night Luna mentioned going on a flight over Canterlot with you. Did you plan on going?"

Chrysalis thought for a moment, tapping her chin and assuming a rather confused expression. "I did assume we were going to go flying at some point. I would like to get to know the princesses better."

"You didn't set up a specific date." Those who knew Discord well could see right through his rather impressive mask of curiosity and interest, and could spot the turning gears in his scheming mind. "You could just go ahead and tell me and I'll relay it to Luna."

The two were silent as Discord waited for an answer and Chrysalis thought of an answer. Eventually, Chrysalis said, "I was going to talk to Luna about the prospect of a flight with her at dinner. Instead of telling a chaos spirit who says he'll relay it to her but for all I know is going to tell her something ridiculous."

Discord made a hissing noise. "Ooh, you're good. Guess I'll be off, then!" Discord teleported away with a snap of his fingers, a taunting grin on his face. Chrysalis rolled her eyes and kept walking.

----

The three schemers noticed that Chrysalis and Luna were both rather quiet at dinner. They had sat next to each other again, but weren't saying anything. Twilight nudged Princess Celestia.

"Say something to Luna, or something." Twilight whispered. "We need to kick this part of the plan into gear, Twister's the only one of your guards available, and only tonight!"

"I'm aware of that, Twilight. Be patient, and quit fidgeting. You're drawing suspicion." Twilight then shut up and continued eating. Celestia nudged her sister.

"What?" Luna looked annoyed.

"Aren't you going to talk to Chrysalis?" Celestia raised an eyebrow.

Luna sighed. "Twilight bugged me about that this morning. Yes, I will." And at that very moment, she took a long breath and turned to Chrysalis, blankly staring at the changeling queen. "Excuse me, Queen Chrysalis? I was wondering if you would like to go flying with me after dinner." Chrysalis gave a slow nod. Internally, she agreed. She just wanted to get that flight over with.

"Are you sure?" Luna turned to Celestia and gave her sister a triumphant smirk.

"Yes..." Chrysalis resumed eating.

Discord gave a low whistle. "Didn't know it'd get under her skin that much." He whispered to Princess Celestia.

The princess looked equally surprised. "I didn't, either."

The rest of the meal passed without a fuss. As the castle servants took away the last of the dishes, Luna and Chrysalis both rose, walking out of the hall. Nopony made a move to stop them.

As the pony and the changeling made their way toward the Lunar Wing, where Luna's tower was, Chrysalis examined every inch of the place. No portrait or statue was safe from her keen eyes. Occasionally she would ask where one of them came from, or who made it, and Luna would answer.

"Who are these ponies?"

Luna stopped and turned around. Chrysalis was pointing a hole-ridden hoof at the portrait of their parents, Queen Arendelle and King Galactica. They were at the very spot where the colors gradually became darker, and the architecture more Gothic. The spot where Celestia and Luna - day and night - met. Luna swiped at her eyes.

"Our parents."

"Are they-" Chrysalis began hesitantly, but Luna cut her off.

"They're dead now. And I don't want your pity, I've long since accepted it." She continued walking at a slightly faster pace, Chrysalis hurrying after her.

Luna stopped again at the door to a tall tower in the Lunar Wing. "This is the entrance to my tower, where I raise the moon. It's tall, so we'll get the best view. Only I can open the door." Luna lit her horn, and the door opened, prompting the two to hurry inside. Chrysalis stared upward in amazement. When Luna said tall, she meant tall. The changeling queen wouldn't be surprised if the tower stretched all the way to the heavens.

"You coming?"

Chysalis's gaze flicked back to Princess Luna, who was already a good ways up the flight of stairs that led to the top. "If you're coming, get moving. Don't stand there and gawk."

Chrysalis hurried up the stairs, soon keeping pace with Luna fairly well. They eventually made their way to the top of the tower, Canterlot by night in all its glory sprawled out below them, a dazzling display of light and sound. Chrysalis felt a very slight pang of regret at destroying it.

"It's beautiful."

"This is nothing on old Canterlot, back before the whole Nightmare Moon incident. Sister had the whole city redesigned, new start and all. Even though we didn't live there at the time." Luna smiled ruefully. She stood on the banister. "Now, let us fly."

Chrysalis was a tad nervous. She had never flown solely for recreational purposes until now, and before now she had never flown for more than half an hour at a time. Nonetheless, she didn't want to appear weak, so she got up on the banister as well.

"On the count of three." Luna paused, Chrysalis on tenterhooks. "Three!" Luna shot off into the night.

"Wait!" Chrysalis leapt off and beat her small wings furiously to try and keep up. Curse these tiny things!

They soared around, through, and over the various towers and spires the castle had to offer. Chrysalis had to hand it to Luna - the night really was beautiful. The sky appeared thin and dreamlike, as if Chrysalis could fly right through it and go straight to heaven if she wanted, with the moon a gleaming pearl in the air.

Eventually Luna stopped, and waited for Chrysalis to catch up. The princess looked rather lovely with the moon backlighting her form, her spectral mane waving in a non-existent breeze. She was panting slightly, a look in her eyes only found in a pony that is truly free.

"That was wonderful!" Luna threw her front hooves in the air to emphasize her point.

Chrysalis gave Luna her best deadpan glare, given the circumstances.

"Oh, um, we should get going." Luna turned towards Canterlot, going at a steady pace so Chrysalis could fly alongside her. Luna pointed out various famous locations in the city as they went.

If Canterlot from the top of the tower was beautiful, Canterlot from the skies was bedazzling. A blazing torch of a city, lighting up the mountainside where it stood, the entire place gleamed with a sort of spit-shine beauty you just couldn't get anywhere else. She couldn't imagine why she wanted to convert this thing of beauty into a hive.

"And there's the Royal Orchestra Hall, standing since the Discordian Age." Luna's eyes shone with passion as she described these places and how much they meant to her. Chrysalis's hard-as-diamonds stare she typically wore softened. She really does adore her hometown, and her night.

After about an hour, the two looped back around to the castle, touching down on the balcony of Luna's tower. "That was rather nice." Luna said, nodding to her comrade. "I'd like to do that again some time."

Chrysalis nodded as well. As she headed back to her own room, and settled down to sleep, one thought dominated her mind.

I think I'd like to do that again as well.

----

Twister watched as Princess Luna flew up to her bedroom, her navy wings steadily beating like a raven's. She unfolded her own wings and flew up to Celestia's chambers. She had a report for the princesses.

Well, and Discord. That snakelike thing creeped her out.

Comments ( 9 )

Just a nitpick feel free to ignore me, but I'd say Age of Discord or Discordian Age..

eh, wheres the tension between the two?
still feels a little rushed.

:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache: must have moar, my friend...must have moar...

Starlight Shadow, I am curious as to when you believe the next chapter might be out?

Twister and Discord sitting in a tree! Oh wait?

More! More! More! :flutterrage:

4480155 It's currently on hiatus, and I am not obligated to update. I will give you more when I am good and ready. :twilightsmile:

Aww, such a pity that it stopped so early.

Login or register to comment