• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,280 Views, 37 Comments

Fraternization - Starlight Shadow



In an attempt to make peace between the changelings and the ponies, Chrysalis is offered a place on the Equus Council. The changeling queen gets more than she bargained for when a certain lunar princess gets involved.....

  • ...
15
 37
 3,280

Chapter Two: Operation Matchmaker

Luna paced in circles atop the tower where she raised her pale moon every single moment Celestia lowered her bright sun. She always enjoyed sitting and admiring her work, but tonight, her mind was focused on something else. She was tense. Her offer to the changeling queen wasn't the smartest. A flight over Canterlot? That monster was no doubt going to backstab all of them, and she'd unwillingly aided her plans!

And yet...maybe she was just trying to help her people. Maybe she actually was a nice...changeling.

She snorted and continued pacing.

A snakelike creature slithered down the tower and began to watch her pace. After a few moments, he asked her, "What's eating you, Lulu?"

She turned to face him. "Don't call me Lulu, Discord. And it's none of your business."

Discord feigned offense, holding a paw to his chest. "Madam, you wound me. You have no problem with Tia calling you Lulu, and talking to her."

"You aren't Tia."

"True that. But I am many other things, and among those things is a decent listener. And I repeat; What's eating you?"

Luna sighed. One of Discord's talents was guilt-tripping her. "I'm trying to wrap my head around why I randomly suggested that me and Chrysalis go for a flight over Canterlot."

"Ah. You know, randomly asking ponies if they want to do something for no real reason is a hallmark of possible friendship."

"We are not, and never will be, friends. We are diplomatic acquaintances. Not that you would know anything about diplomacy."

"So you admit to being acquainted to her."

"Go away, Discord."

He slithered away, throwing one last look at Luna. Luna stared after him for a moment, before resuming her pacing.

-----------

Celestia watched Luna pace, sipping tea alongside Twilight, who was reading. This time it was a volume about the various ancient beliefs about love.

"I assume that means you're okay with starting Operation Matchmaker?"

Twilight bit her lip, smiling. "I'm eighty percent on the bandwagon. You have Discord on your side, you barely need me."

"Did somepony say my name?" Discord slunk in from the shadows. Twilight jumped.

"Don't scare me like that." Twilight scooted a little closer to Celestia.

"Sorry." Discord didn't look particularly sorry as he curled up like a snake. "I went to talk to Lulu. She didn't seem to want me there."

Twilight snorted. "What a shocker."

"Don't interrupt. Anyways, she was apparently trying to wrap her head around why she asked Chryssy to go fly with her. She didn't mention a date."

"She didn't mention a date at dinner, either." Twilight piped up. "Maybe tomorrow after the Council meeting Discord could talk to Chrysalis and I could talk to Luna, set up a definite time, and possibly station one of Tia's guards in an indiscreet location to spy on them, then report back to us."

Celestia looked impressed. "Twilight, for someone who's only eighty percent on the bandwagon, that's a nice little plan."

Twilight looked proud of herself. "I take it that's what we're doing, then?"

"Unless someone else can come up with a better plan." The two princesses turned toward Discord, who was messing with a stress ball. He dropped it when he noticed their stares.

"Don't look at me. I destroy plans, not create them. Unless I feel like it."

Celestia and Twilight let out an inward sigh. Twilight looked through the small library that occupied Celestia's walls. "Celly, do you have a book on interspecies relations? I want to see if ponies and changelings have been in relationships before, see what we're up against."

Discord laughed uproariously for a minute or two before Twilight gave him a deadpan glare.

"Oh, you were serious? Sorry, Twilight, but pony/changeling relations are nonexistent. I've looked through history books on occasion, and not once has pony and changeling breeding been mentioned. We're going to have to fly solo on this one."

Twilight looked a bit green at the prospect of having to do something not laid out for her in a book. Celestia rested a wing on her back.

"It'll be fine, love. All we have to do is nudge a few things into place."

Twilight looked up at her lover, the slight increase in confidence evident on her face. She turned to Discord once more.

"Why exactly are we 'shipping' Chrysalis and Luna again?" She made magical air quotes around the word 'shipping'.

"Because they're made for each other. Both emo ex-villains attempting to recover from their less-than-savory pasts. Luna's had more exposure to modern society than Chryssy, so she'd show her around the city, et cetera...and then they live happily ever after! Isn't it simply adorable?" Discord's voice dripped with sarcasm.

Celestia sighed. "This was all my idea, really. I figured Luna could use a friend, or more-than-friend. And like Discord said..."

The corners of Twilight's mouth twitched. "So you sent Chrysalis an offer to join the council just so you could play matchmaker?"

"Well, no. Making peace with the changelings would be a wise political move as well. It's a win/win." Celestia said, smiling thoughtfully while picturing ponies and changelings finally coming to peace.

"But what if Chrysalis and Luna don't get along?" Twilight tilted her head in curiosity.

"Well, we'll just have to make them get along." Discord smiled. Twilight had come to associate that particular smile of his with a Discord in the mood for some major mischief. "All in favor of Operation Matchmaker?" He extended his paw.

Celestia put a single white hoof in the circle. Twilight hesitated. "What if Chrysalis and Luna find out?"

"They won't." Celestia assured her. "We'll be sneaky."

Twilight's face had uncertainty written all over it, but she put her hoof in the circle.

Celestia smiled and floated over some quills, ink, paper, and tea. "We'll have to work out a detailed plan..."

Author's Note:

That's right, bitches, Twilestia's back and better than ever.