• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 2,573 Views, 78 Comments

RariTwi Group Collab - Anonymule



!!!!!This collection is now dead, please see the Finer Things: The Rarilight Collab by Donraj for more RariTwi.!!! Prompt based short stories from the authors of the RariTwi group.

  • ...
12
 78
 2,573

PreviousChapters Next
Wedding Dress by Mr Apathy

Wedding Dress

By: Mr Apathy

~~~~~<>~~~~~

I used to adore wedding dresses. To me, they were a promise of seemingly endless days of matrimonial bliss. I would frequently imagine myself dressed in one of my own, slowly making my way to the altar and my beloved Prince Bluebl—well, he’s not nearly as beloved anymore, needless to say.

All the same, my experience left a bitter taste that still lingers to this day. I can no longer look at a wedding dress without remembering the disappointment I felt that night. It certainly doesn’t help when I have an increasing number of clients all coming to me so they can have their wedding dress perfectly crafted to please their loving stallion for their wedding and have their happily ever after while I’m stuck helping them along!

“Oh! Oh, not again!”

It also doesn’t help that I dwell on this tragic fact every time I’m commissioned for one.

“Guess third time isn’t the charm,” I muttered to myself as I undid the stitching. “Come on, Rarity, she needs this ready by tomorrow.”

“Rarity!”

“I’m a bit busy at the moment!” I didn’t bother to look away. I knew Twilight and Spike came to check up on me. The other girls already had. They must have picked up on how sour my mood got whenever it came to wedding dresses. Bless them for caring, but they just cannot tell when a mare wants to be left to fume!

“Rarity?” I heard the door to my workroom open. I still didn’t look away from the dress. “Hey, Rarity! How’s the dress coming along? Will you be done soon?”

“Sorry, Spikey-Wikey, I’m having a bit of trouble at the moment.” My tone had none of the affection it usually did when I called him that. I wasn’t looking at him at the time, but I can just imagine him cringing at my words.

This time, Twilight was the one to speak up. “Why don’t you take a break? Your client won’t need it for a while, right?”

Sighing, I finally turned to face the two. “That sounds wonderful, darling, but she explicitly stated she needed it finished by tomorrow.”

“That soon?” She asked. “Well, um… Have you tried imagining yourself in it?”

“Hardly,” I scoffed. “I just can’t for the life of me picture myself in one. White on white is just so redundant and unappealing, don’t you think?”

I remember one of them trying to interject, but I can’t remember which as I cut them off before they could even finish a single word.

“Do you know how lucky you are, Twilight? You’re the perfect shade of lavender, just right for contrasting with the white. And it doesn’t even clash! Not one bit! And so do all of our friends, for that matter! You’ll all pull it off so… so perfectly while I’m stuck in here, making them for you!”

I had no idea I started pacing during my, ah, slight outburst. Nonetheless, I couldn’t deny I was jabbing poor Twilight with my hoof. An awkward moment of silence past between us before I slowly backed away from her, no doubt looking as guilty as I felt.

“I… I-I’m sorry for that,” I finally said, “It was completely uncalled for. Please don’t hold it against me.”

Twilight, being the ever sweet and forgiving mare she was, just shook her head and replied, “I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“You don’t usually act like this,” Spike added. “Is something wrong? Anything I—Uh, anything we can help you with?”

I turned to him and put on the warmest, most apologetic smile I could muster. “Oh, you don’t need to worry about a thing, dearie. I just need to put aside some time so I can sort things out.”

He obviously wanted to ask more, but the look I gave him kept his questions at bay.

“Alright,” said Twilight, “but you have to promise us you’ll explain one of these days, okay?”

“Of course, darling.” I turned back to my unfinished dress.

“And I seriously think you should take a break.”

“But I really have to—” I sighed. “How about we do this: I’ll keep working for another hour. If I’m not done by then, I’ll pay you two a visit.”

She mulled it over for a minute before answering. “I guess that sounds fair. But just an hour, alright? If you’re not at the library by then, we’ll come back and drag you there ourselves. Right, Spike?”

“Definitely!” He had the most adorable look of resolution on his face as he said that.

“You have my word.” I placed my hoof over my heart for added effect. “Just an hour more. That should be all I need.”

“Good to hear. Come on, Spike, let’s give Rarity some space.”

The two of them made their way to the door, only for Twilight to stop in the doorway. She stood there, Spike staring up at her questioningly, not saying anything. Then, after rustling her wings a few times, she turned around and looked me straight in the eyes.

“Rarity?”

Something about the way she stared at me caused my response to delay for a moment. “Yes?”

“I think you’d look gorgeous in a wedding dress.”

And with that, she made her way out. Spike and I stared at her for a beat before exchanging glances.

“I agree with her,” he said, and then scampered off after Twilight. Silence once again hung in the air as I was left alone with my thoughts.

For several minutes, I did nothing but sit and stare at my unfinished commission, mulling over what Twilight had said. I appreciated her flattery, but I just couldn’t see myself pulling off a wedding dress half as well as she would. White on white can’t possibly hold a candle to white on lavender. Or the inverse, for that matter.

White on lavender, lavender on white… Why does that tickle my fancy?

~~~~~<>~~~~~

PreviousChapters Next