• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 7,837 Views, 573 Comments

Your Human and You: There Armor than One - GordonFreebrony



An SCA heavy fighter is sent to Equestria, but not the Equestria you know. Non-Canon story set in the Your Human and Youverse

Comments ( 35 )

Well shit I thought you were dead.... Good to have ya back.:pinkiehappy:

Holy shit, you're alive...

not the best written thing i've read, nor the best paced, doesn't have an entirely unique premise either... but it's still one of the most interesting things i'm reading, and considering that a lot of what i read consists of jojo's bizarre adventure and horror stories involving the existential and ever-present dread of contact with beings of such higher power that the human mind cannot comprehend it i kind of feel like interesting would be more important for me to like it, so good job man, i am certainly interested.

Well I'm glad you're back.

Sorry about your loss though.

8116425
Well thank you. I admit I am a bit miffed at my past self for starting the story as "x, but with y" as opposed to making it more unique in the YHaY universe. But I'm past the point of divergence now, so things will begin to become more original from this point forth, starting with the end of this most recent chapter

8116512
The helm that I based it off of is my own, with some changes to make it seem "cooler". Therefore the padding and rattle-rivers help a lot with the problem of ringing. No the reason I put made that happen is because I am used to SCA level calibration, which is still rather hard, but not as hard as one would use to actually cleave a person in twain so to speak.

That, combined with the fact that I was nearly knocked out by an extra-hard thrust once at Pennsic, made me decide that facing actual Gaurds that would be trained to use their weapons would cause the helm to not work as well as it could.

P.s. Sorry about the crappy wording, I just woke up

I look at that two year difference, and I think, Damn, when will my historical friend come back with some "realism"?

Armor feels good when it's made to work (I finally felt what full plate felt like, was debating if I wanted to wear it while training), how's the feel of being almost knocked out?

Halberds are a bitch, they're fun to use, not fun when being used against you.

8120684
It was a spear, not a Halberd. The 'Chux get a little overzealous come Pennsic.

But yeah, it did not feel good. Had a good two-inch goose egg above my eye for a while. Thankfully it was during the last day so I was able to actually fight every battle that year

I'm glad to see this story moving again, though I found the way Richard was narrating who was talking a little odd. Not bad, just...odd.
Just a heads up, there are a pair of lines that aren't separated when Richard is asking about recovery-time.

8124436
Yeah... That bit was written a number of months ago. I had a different thought process at that point in time I think.

Also, which two lines? I can't seem to find them?

very glad to see this story moving along, hope everything works out for you

8125887

“Yeah.” Twilight said despondently “If they didn’t have to push so much magic in you early on, then it would have been shorter. If only we had found you faster…”
+Twilight, with what I’ve had I would be in here for months back home. How’s max.

These two. The first is Twilight and the second is clearly Richard speaking. The line between them is missing.

I am overjoyd to see that you are still working on this fic, hoping to see more chapters soon!

Thank you. Thank you sooo much for this chapter! Not only do I have a nice read but I now have a reason to check FimFiction more often!

Been reading a while, first comment.

This is a good fanfic if a good fanfic.

My only issue is that unlike the original I don't really feel like a bond is being established between the human and the pony. There started to be and then we got wrapped up in the canon storyline.

You have the chops for it, don't be afraid to deviate and build up Richards character and his bond with Melody.

8266120
I will freely admit character bonding is a difficulty of mine while writing stories. However in this instance it was partially intentional, even if setting out it was not the point. You'll get the first inklings as to why that is once I finish the next chapter, which is being a bitch to write right now.

8267519
I can't wait!

I'm glad to finally remove this story from my "on hiatus" library... I'll have to re-read it soon. :twilightsmile:

8287097
I'm glad you could as well. Enjoy the re-read. I'm still working on the next chapter, so hopefully I'll have something for you guys soon

Your human and you got me on this site 2 years ago

Your Human and You is a recommended read, whether you like my story or not, as it is an excellent literary achievement.

i would and have tried but i can't bare it when humans are doormats, and i see him as a traitor to humanity, not seeing other humans as people and trying to save them...just letting them stay as slaves. just him being content with life as it is pisses me off, so i am sorry but i will not be following your recommendation, but i will read your story.

hmm....reading this has showed me that maybe i should try your human and you again.....i just have to live until the bastard is forced to start acting like a human, sorry if i sound angry but that .......... has been hiding as a pet for ages as all other suffered. HE HAS A VOICE IN HIS DREAMS TELLING HIM TO SAVE THEM FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE!

Hope another chapter comes out soon.

I'm not sure if it has already been commented on but in one chapter you talk about him wanting a longbow with 55 Lb draw weight, when a longbow is actually on average about 150 Lb. Just letting you know.

Great story by the way.

8519003
I never said he wanted an English longbow. I for one currently own a 55lb longbow. The heaviest I've seen drawn nowadays is 90lbs.

Unless you're thinking of the original longbow which was meant to be fired on the ground using your legs to support the bow and your entire upper body to pull on the string.

Either way in my view of the equestrian world, it would be difficult for ponies to pull even a 25lb bow just for how their body shape is. If bows weren't canon I probably wouldn't have even mentioned a regular bow at all and had them confused, or asking if he wanted a crossbow.

8520458
Ok, and I've used a 155Lb bow, I just thought it was weird for him wanting that draw weight. I also did this without using my lower body. Personally I only got off about 25-30 shots before I couldn't draw it anymore.

Look forward to more chapters in the future sometime.^_^

8677233
Slowly but surely working on it. Life's been a bit of a hitch recently though so :/

8684726
No worries mate, God knows life can be a rude mistress.

Good stortly, I hope to see next chapter(s) sooner rather than later. For me, that's the best outcome for those two, and since we all are aware of Celestia's persona this was going to happen.

9494045
This looked like one of those "Badass in Equestria" stories. The protagonist is normally some absolute unit that is experienced fighting, and suffers from anger issues, drinking etc.

This story ended up being a let-down because the protagonist is not just happy-go-lucky, but also a lazy bastard that is ok being treated like an animal.

Look at stories like

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/217428/yhay-the-ballad-of-nasty-jack

And

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/163706/bad-mondays

For examples.

It's not really a problem with the writing itself... it's just the actual plot of the story is unexpected. Some probably enjoyed that change of pace, others (like me) were specifically seeking out a HFY story.

He's so passive about everything, and that makes me annoyed.

5380459 says it perfectly

I feel like if you are going to make him this unmotivated, then at least make him depressed and suicidal - Because that at least makes sense.

9494476
Fair enough. If you'll indulge me this,

I made him this way as he is a reflection of what I see in heavy fighters and myself. While some of us certainly do have anger issues, most of us are very much the deal with what you have and move on. Fix what you can and leave the rest alone.

Few of us are actually heavily violent people if we do not have reason to do so.

Furthermore our level of experience in swordplay and whatnot is geared towards our own rules and not to actually harming others, so while we do.have many of the techniques down, we intentionally hamstring ourselves so as to not injure eachother.


Ironically enough I do have plans to mold Richard I to somethibg like what you describe, through the crucible of experience of the less savory side of Equestria and beyond. In fact we've just started on that path with the fighting pit, and in the next chapter (once I actually finish it and am happy with ut) this process will continue.

He will not remain a log of contentment for long.

9494679
I know, however even someone without anger issues will get angry when faced with slavery :facehoof:

9495141
The point is that he doesnt quite see it that way. Hes mainly still shell shocked at the changes and just glad to have stability and a place free from the laboratory. *that* is what he saw as slavery, or akin to it at least. Having been exposed to the kinder ponies he is inclined to remain with them rather than changing his current situation for a worse one.

And hes overconfident in his abilities to up and leave if he really wants to, so he doesnt really care about a lot of stuff.

Note that he was not nearly as content before he found a way to communicate.

I really want to see this continued.

---

Scary Thought Here: What would have happened if it had been Sam, or/and, Dean Winchester that the ponies found?

Hmmm...

Maybe I'll write out something like that. Maybe... Later.

Login or register to comment