• Published 7th May 2013
  • 4,833 Views, 77 Comments

Apple Blossom - Closer-To-The-Sun



Turning seventeen is a big milestone in a filly's life. Yet Applebloom doesn't feel like she completely ready to be a full grown mare with her new emotions.

  • ...
13
 77
 4,833

Chapter 7: The World I Know

Chapter 7: The World I Know

With a few tears still trying forming in her eyes, Applebloom looked down at Spike from the treehouse. From what she could tell, the dragon seemed just as down and depressed as she was. Applebloom called down to the purple dragon, “Ya’ve been lookin’ fer me ta say sorry?”

Spike was staring at the ground before he turned his attention back to Applebloom, nodding at her question, “Yes, I realize what I did was pretty dumb on my part.”

Quickly brushing her would be tears out of her eyes and turning the tone of her voice more stern, she replied, “It certainly was dumb of ya, Spike. In fact, it was just down right stupid,” Applebloom shouted down at Spike. Looking at the dragon’s broken state, she changed her one, “But….ya don’t havta be sorry, Spike, ah’m the one that should be sorry.”

“Come again?” Spike tilted his head in confusion.

“It was wrong of me ta yell at ya the way ah did. Ah didn’t mean ta sound so mean ta ya, Spike….yer mah great friend, ah’d never want ta hurt ya,” Applebloom’s words were soft and full of regret of her actions. Quickly changing her attitude, she stared down at the dragon, “But ah’m still not happy with ya….”

“Not happy with me?” the dragon was puzzled at the yellow pony’s words.

“Because of the kiss, duh….” the pony shied away.

Spike’s face became flushed, “Oh….right….”

Applebloom was silent as she looked back downwards on Spike below. Watching the dragon in silence, a query came to her mind. Speaking in a hushed tone, she asked a question, “Do ya….do ya like me like that, Spike?”

The sudden question surprised Spike, “Huh?”

The yellow pony looked down and restated the question, “Ah’m askin’, do ya like me like ya said ya did?”

Spike stood in silence for a quite some time. He raised his head up and gave a determined look to Applebloom, “Yes. I really do love ya, Applebloom. I have for a long time now and I guess I just recently got the guts to do something about it. But yes, I do. It’s one reason why I gave you that ruby necklace. I figured you would like it as much as I liked the gem itself.”

With her face flushed, Applebloom sighed heavily. Her head hung low as she spoke, “Alright….fine, whatever….”

“What’s wrong?” the dragon looked up and asked.

Applebloom spoke softly, “Spike….it’s that….ah do like ya….but that’s not what’s wrong....it’s not ya, but it’s just that yer so childish….”

“Huh? I’m childish? What’s wrong with that?” Spike asked.

Applebloom’s volume grew as she spoke, “Everything is different now. I’m older, an’ ah havta act like it. Ah mean, that’s why ah don’t have mah bow in mah mane, it makes me look older.”

The dragon raised an eyebrow, “That doesn’t mean ya have to ignore everything else about your old self. What about your wants, your dreams, your feelings?”

“Ah….” the pony hesitated, “ah don’t know….agh….ah’m so bad at this grown-up thing….”

“Hey, nopony lands on their hooves the first time around,” Spike reassured his friend.

Sighing again, Applebloom continued, “Ah don’t think ah’m ready fer all this grown-up stuff as originally thought….everything is just so different now. The world ah knew is long gone now, ah’m not a little filly anymore….and ah just can’t go back to what was. Ah’m….ah’m not ready….”

“You don’t always have to grow up, Applebloom. Just be a kid inside, ya know?”

Applebloom giggled slightly, “Let me guess, that’s what ya do.”

“Totally. What’s wrong with being young in heart? I mean, we all grow up, that goes without saying. But it’s up to us to still be young in our heads and just still be kids,” Spike explained.

The yellow pony’s face stared at Spike for a few moments after he finished speaking. However, she couldn’t help but laugh. This confused Spike as he looked up at Applebloom.

“What are you laughing about?” he asked as he scratched his head.

“At what ya said,” Applebloom calmed herself, “It’s basically the same thing as mah sister said ta me 'bout all of this. An' now that ah think ‘bout it, maybe yer both right. Ah might just be rushin’ into all of this all wrong.”

“That’s what I think,” Spike looked up to give Applebloom a smile, “Why do ya need to rush into growing up? You should just enjoy life for what it is and every second you have of it. No need to hurry it up.”

Applebloom gave another laugh. With a smile back on her face and she looked down at Spike as she leaned on the railing, “You know that sounds really corny, right?”

“Hey, it’s what I believe about growing up,” the dragon insisted, “don’t forget to have fun, that’s what I say!”

A sly smirk appeared on the pony’s face, “Well, if that’s the way ya think, then have fun and catch me!” Applebloom moved herself up onto the wooden railing of the treehouse. Spike looked up to see a falling Applebloom coming closer towards him. In a panic, he opened up his arms for the pony to be caught. He managed to safely catch the falling pony, but unfortunately for Spike, she might as well of body slammed the dragon on the ground.

“Haha, thanks fer breakin’ mah fall, Spike!” Applebloom laughed, standing up on her hooves and off of Spike.

“Ow….yeah….no problem….” the dragon replied in pain as he stood back up, “always happy to help….”

While Spike was brushing himself off as he stood back up, Applebloom leaned in and lighly pecked Spike’s cheek. This action caught the dragon off guard, causing him to fall back down onto his bottom. Applebloom laughed again.

“Wh-What was that for?” Spike asked as he continued to sit on the ground where he feel.

Applebloom smiled warmly, “Just a thanks to ya fer everythin’ ya’ve done.”

The dragon was still clueless, “Wait….so does that mean….?”

“Yup, ah like ya too, Spike.”

END

Comments ( 21 )

End? This is the end? I think it ends kinda abruptly. I'm not really satisfied with it, unless you plan on a sequel. Other than that, great job!

Its too short, more please or at least a sequel. This is really great and all but its too short. Please we want more:fluttershysad::fluttercry:

Really?

“Yup, ah like ya too, Spike.”
END

Hell, that was fast! but seriously, I, too, would love a sequel...:scootangel:
Very good story by the way...

Sequel, please. That was adorable, short, but still adorable.:twilightsmile:

I shall now do the dance of the sequel

-Kiryu :moustache:

A sequel would be nice, but I understand why you stopped it there.
Good job.:ajsmug:
Hmm, wonder when Applebloom and the rest of the CMC will figure out that Spike is much older then them despite his size.:moustache:

Simple and good.:moustache:

short and awesome. good story man love applebloom stories :ajsmug:

I like AB + Spike much more than Sparity but there aint many of them out there ... :applecry:

2590253 Well, I technically have two more SpikeBloom stories if you wish to read.

2591036
/salute
Can Do! :pinkiehappy:

2591044 Just do note one is in the complication of stories entitled 'Pretty Little Ditty'. The one-shot is called "Good Feeling".

i thought this was really good. its the first story that I've read that utilizes not just applebloom growing up, but her also struggling with the change int o adulhood (marehood in this case ):moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache: 5/5 for you bro

3185365 Nah, the first chapter is titled after the song by Garbage, "When I Grow Up".

Clap,clap,clap,clap bravo my friend bravo I really enjoyed this I wish there where a lot more Spike x AppleBloom out there.

U get a thumb up from me.

3418551 Well, I have written quite a bit of SpikeBloom (and just Spike shippings in general).

Very well done....you got skills:twilightsmile:
Those two make such a cute couple:rainbowkiss:
:applecry::heart::moustache:

It is a good story. Wish there were more spike icons.:moustache:spike signing out.

In all reality apple bloom said it in the nicest way possible, beyond that there was only two other options, the cold option and the lying option she made the best choice, the truth(or a lie to herself).

Adorable story! Great work!

Login or register to comment