• Published 7th May 2013
  • 4,833 Views, 77 Comments

Apple Blossom - Closer-To-The-Sun



Turning seventeen is a big milestone in a filly's life. Yet Applebloom doesn't feel like she completely ready to be a full grown mare with her new emotions.

  • ...
13
 77
 4,833

Chapter 3: I Won't Say (I'm In Love)

Chapter 3: I Won’t Say (I’m In Love)

Later that evening, Applebloom was trotting back to Sweet Apple Acres. With her new red saddlebag draped across her back and her new ruby necklace around her neck, she moved silently through the night. She had a satisfied expression on her face. After a fun day of partying with Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Spike, and Pinkie Pie, who invited herself, Applebloom was tired from the birthday festivities. Arriving to her home, she trotted up onto the porch and entered to find her sister in the common room on the couch..

“Well, howdy birthday gal,” Applejack looked up from her book, welcoming her little sister, “How was yer day?”

“Hiya Applejack! It was really fun. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo got me this saddlebag,” the yellow mare showcased the bag to Applejack as if she were a fashion pony on the runway.

“Mah, ain’t that a very fancy lookin’ bag. It’s really nice on ya, Applebloom,” Applejack pointed out, using her hooves to frame Applebloom with her new saddlebag.

Applebloom giggled at the comment.

“How ‘bout that gem you got hangin’ ‘round yer neck? Where’d ya get that?” the orange pony pointed.

“Oh, hehe,” Applebloom giggled again, this time her checks turning a light shade of pink, “it’s what Spike gave me fer mah birthday. He thought it would be a nice gift fer me.”

“Well, hogtie me and call me a calf in a rodeo, that’s mighty kind of him ta do that fer ya!” Applejack stated. The yellow pony couldn’t help but giggle again. The older pony continued, “So what was it like fer ya ta be an another year older?”

She hesitated to answer, “Well, can ah be honest with ya, sis?”

“Of course, sugarcube.”

“Ah kinda feel weird, ya know?”

“Weird, how so?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

Applebloom was uncomfortable to continue, “Well….today, an’ fer that matter a few times before, ah felt really strange and stuff….”

“Strange? What’cha mean by that, Applebloom?”

“It was really unusual an’ weird. It was like butterflies or somethin’ of that. An’ ah usually get in when ah’m with mah friends doin’ stuff. Does any of this makin’ sense ta ya, Applejack?” Applebloom explained, setting the saddle bag down on a seat.

“Butterflies, huh?” Applejack thought about what was said, rubbing a hoof under her chin.

“Yeah, in mah stomach. They’re all flutterin’ and what not.”

With the added statement from her sister, Applejack’s eyes widened as she pieced the puzzle together, “Uh-oh.”

“Uh-oh? What’s uh-oh?” Applebloom inquired to her sister.

The orange pony chuckled a little before giving a heavy sigh, “Heh heh, whoo-wee….ah knew sooner or later ya would have this talk. Pretty unlucky fer it ta be me ta be givin’ it ta ya. Heh, though thinkin’ ‘bout it, if ol’ Big Mac was the one ta give ya the talk.”

Applebloom was lost and confused, “What are ya talkin’ ‘bout, Applejack? What talk?”

With one last snicker, Applejack began to spoke, “Well, ya see Applebloom, when a mare reaches a certain age, they begin ta change little by little. These changes are perfectly normal an’ everythin’ fer a pony.”

Her sister insisting that the changes were normal didn’t ease the yellow pony’s worries, “N-Normal? Are ya sayin’ wasn’t normal before?”

“Well ta be honest Applebloom, Granny, Mac, and ah were worried if ya ever grow any bigger than a fence post.” Applejack was quick to take her statement back when she saw her sister’s reaction, “But, uh….we figured that ya were gonna be a late bloomer is all. Ah mean, look at ya right now!”

“Ah guess that’s true, ah am growin’ up quite a bit,” Applebloom remarked.

“See? Yer just fine!” Applejack continued, “But, there comes a part in every mare’s adolescence when they mature. They begin to develop both physically as well as….mentally.” Applejack was tripping over her words and hating every moment of it.

Her sister tilted her head to the side, “Mentally? Like how?”

“Well,” Applejack turned her head away from her little sister, “fer starters like noticin’ others in new light.”

“Noticin’ others in a new light? Ya mean like….l-likin’ them?” Applebloom gave a revolting glare at her sister.

Applejack gave a nervous laugh, “Well, more like fallin’ in love, but yeah, likin’ is the start.”

Applebloom was disgusted, “Eww, that’s gross! There’s no ponies that ah like like that!”

“Heh, really now?” the orange mare smirked, “no ‘ponies’, huh? What ‘bout a dragon?”

“Dragon? Ya mean Spike? He’s just mah close friend, Applejack!” the annoyed Applebloom firmly stated with a huff.

Applejack snickered and pointed, “Yer friend, huh? Seems a bit much fer a friend to give ya a very nice ruby necklace, don’t ya think?”

Applebloom looked down at the necklace and then back up to Applejack. Her face turned a shade of red to match her mane. She quickly grabbed her saddlebag and left the common room for her bedroom. As she left, she heard Applejack apologize for saying what she did and that she could not help herself.

In her room, she placed her bag and necklace on her dresser. Turning her light off quickly, she jumped into her bed and buried her head in her pillow. Mumbling into the pillow, Applebloom shouted a muffled cry, “Ah don’t like him or anypony, Applejack! What part of that don’t ya understand?”

She lifted her head up from her pillow and looked to her dresser. Luna’s moonlight from outside was peering in through her window. The light hit the gem on the necklace, causing the ruby to light up a brillant shade of red. The red glow reflected onto Applebloom’s face as she stared at the stone. Looking at the gem, she began to feel strange again.