• Published 7th May 2013
  • 4,833 Views, 77 Comments

Apple Blossom - Closer-To-The-Sun



Turning seventeen is a big milestone in a filly's life. Yet Applebloom doesn't feel like she completely ready to be a full grown mare with her new emotions.

  • ...
13
 77
 4,833

Chapter 1: When I Grow Up

Chapter 1: When I Grow Up

It was a bright morning in Ponyville. With Celestia’s sun peeking through the window, sunlight brushed across a yellow pony’s face. Her face squinted and stirred as she woke up. Opening and rubbing her eyes, a smile appeared on her face. Using her hooves to push her red mane back and behind her head, she then hopped down from her bed. She quickly tied her pink bow in her mane and made her way downstairs. In the kitchen, her family welcomed her.

The elderly green pony spoke “Well, good morning there, birthday filly!”

“Yeah, happy birthday, Applebloom!” her sister also commented.

Applebloom smiled brightly, “Hehe, thanks, Granny Smith and Applejack!”

“How does it feel ta be seventeen?” her brother Big Mac asked, chewing on an apple.

“Ah’m so excited! This means ah can help out more around the farm, right?” Applebloom asked as she took a seat at the table.

“Well, of course ya get to help out more ‘round the farm,” the orange pony stated, placing a plate of sliced apples covered lightly in caramel.

“Nah, not like that, ah talkin’ ‘bout doin’ more important stuff like applebuckin’ and barrelin’!” Applebloom replied with energy, taking a bite of one of the sliced apples.

Applejack and Big Mac gave each other uneasy looks. Big Mac softly spoke, “Well, ah don’t know ‘bout that right away, Applebloom.”

The yellow pony tilted her head to the side as she spoke with her mouth full, “Buhf why?”

“It’s not that we don’t want ya ta help us out ‘round the farm or nothin’, it’s just it’s a lotta hard work. We don’t want ta give ya more than ya can haddle,” Applejack explained, careful to not hurt her sister’s feelings.

“But….what about mah cutie mark? Ah just know if ah help out more ‘round the farm, ah’ll get it! Ah just know it!” Applebloom pleaded, “Ah’m all grown up now after all!”

AJ started her reply, “Sorry, Applebloom, but we can still have you help with other things lik-“

“Ah, hush up, Applejack!” Granny Smith interrupted, “Applebloom is plenty old enough ta pull her own weight! Why, you weren’t much older when ya were doin’ the same kind of work yer doin’ now. An’ jus’ look at her, she’s growin’ into be quite an Apple. She’s more than ready to start barrelin’ and soon enough buckin’.”

“Ya really think ah’m ready, Granny?” the yellow pony asked with stars in her eyes.

“Darn tootin’!” the green pony nodded “Yer a member of the Apple family are ya not? It’s in yer blood! An’ ah reckon soon yer gonna get yer cutie mark.”

“Thanks, Granny Smith!” Applebloom said as she finished her breakfast, “Ah’m gonna go see mah friends in Ponyville now. Ah’ll be back later!” The mare stood up from her seat and began to rush out of the room.

“Just remember that tomorra we’re gonna start applebuckin’ season!” Applejack called out to her sister.

Applebloom called back faintly, “Okay!” With that, she left the house and made her way towards the town.

“Ya really think she’s ready for such responsibility, Granny?” Applejack asked with doubt.

“Ah think she needs some sort of push in the right direction for the little filly,” the green pony smirked.

“A push? Ah still don’t think Applebloom is ready fer such work ‘round the farm. She might be seventeen today, but she still has a ways ta go,” Big Mac commented.

Granny Smith closed her eyes and gave a small chuckle, “Well, we gotta give the little pony some room to grow an’ mature. She might not think so, but she’s still got a lotta growin’ ta do to blossom into a mare.”