• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 5,870 Views, 109 Comments

Exposed - Sandvich Brony



Imagine you are the only one of your race, trapped in a world that is not your own filled with sapient beings that may or not be violent. My name is Ryan Chaser, and for seven years, this has been my life.

  • ...
9
 109
 5,870

Summer Sun's Eve

===|Exposed|===

===|Chapter 5: Summer Sun's Eve|===

I crouched in the treetops at the edge of the forest, waiting for my chance to come. It was well past midnight, but I was awake regardless, as were the ponies in town. The lights of Ponyville slowly faded out as the ponies left their homes for the festivities. They were being held at the Town Hall. It was the largest building in Ponyville, round, pointed at the top, and it glowed like a beacon in the soon-to-be otherwise lightless town.

They clustered around the Town Hall, but few actually went in. Instead, they socialized. They talked with excitement about a pony named 'Princess Celestia.' Their words were almost worshipful, like they genuinely believed this 'Celestia' could control the sun. As I watched them, I felt the same sense of longing I'd felt before. It wasn't confusing to me. How long had I been alone? Seven years. Back on Earth I'd heard that going a long time without any contact with another human being would drive you insane. But I didn't think I was insane.

Then again, I was watching sentient pastel-colored ponies, who would probably kill me if they could, hold a party for a princess they believed could raise the sun, so insanity wasn't really out-of-the-question.

Despite the senselessness of my whole situation, the irrational feeling of longing remained. I didn't enjoy the way things were. All the hiding, the sneaking, the pilferring. It was almost easy to forget, as I looked down at the Ponyvillians chat and be friendly and celebrate, that I was planning to steal from them the first moment they could. I tasted bile at the thought that I was so used to stealing that I didn't feel bad about it anymore. What would my parents have thought if they could see me now?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I couldn't consider that. I'd lose my nerve, and I wouldn't get another chance like this for a year. It was now or never.

Eventually, the last non-Town Hall light went out, and only the full moon lit Ponyville. I dropped from my perch, with a silence that would have made the old me proud, and fast-walked into town before breaking into a full-out sprint. There was no need for stealth tonight. Every pony was in the Town Hall, eagerly awaiting the festivities and their princess. They wouldn't give me trouble. The celebration would begin in fifteen minutes, and I didn't know how long they were, so I might only be safe for that long. I would likely have longer, but I wasn't eager to be wrong and find out whether Princess Celestia had an elite Royal Guard. Fifteen minutes wasn't long, but it was still more than I usually had. It was enough to make two stops around town.

Changing course, I headed for the Ponyville market district. While the stalls had items I could put to good use, I rarely made runs there. Early on I’d made constant runs, but then the shop owners started using locked chests to store goods. I could pick the locks, but not fast enough to keep from being spotted. Due to this fact, I only came at times when I knew there would be little or no ponies on patrol.

But the time limit wasn’t the only thing that kept me moving quickly. There was something wrong. I couldn’t see it, smell it, or hear it, but I knew it was there. It hung like vapor in the air. It almost felt like it was the moonlight, but I didn’t concern myself with that.

I paused for a few seconds when I reached the market to look at the stalls lining the road and made a quick decision on which ones I would hit.

The popularity of the blacksmith’s stall was questionable at best. The main thing he sold was weaponry, and seeing as ponies were herbivores and the town was peaceful, there really wasn't much of a need for something like killing. Then again, the Everfree forest was right on the border, so they might need protection. Another reason why they might need weapons was me, but I preferred not to dwell on that possibility.

I hopped over the table and into the back of the stall. Crouching down to access the chest underneath the wooden booth, I grabbed lockpicks from my bag and started moving the tumblers inside into place. With any other lock, I would’ve been through it in seconds, but that specific lock always gave me trouble. The tumbler system was more complex than the others, and even seemed to change every once in a while. Then again, it was owned by a talented metalworker.

Four minutes later, I shifted the final tumbler with a satisfying click. When I lifted the lid, a mess of points and vorpal edges glittered in the moonlight. Taking a deep breath, I began sifting through the pile, shifting daggers and swords back and forth, trying to find something I didn't recognize. There was always a small chance that I could find a new weapon to add to my arsenal. Tonight was not one of those nights. I settled for some arrows to replace the ones I lost and a new whetstone. I left a small ruby as my ‘gift’.

The next stall was another with questionable popularity. They sold animal pelts. From leather to furs, the stall sold pelts of all kinds. The only reason I could think of that the ponies would hesitate to buy is where the pelts came from. While some were clearly not from sapient creatures, others weren't so easily recognizable.

Compared to the blacksmith's lock, the tumblers practically flew into place. I pinched my nose before lifting the lid, but I could still smell the intense, musty scent as I began searching for pelts to line my winter clothing. I'd bagged one roll and was in the middle of inspecting a second when there was a flash of light in the corner of my eye. I probably would have dismissed it as a part of the celebration if I hadn't heard thunder boom from the same direction as well.

I practically leapt up, already bagging the roll of fur before I realized I was fine, and looked over the rooftops, eyes locking onto the cupola of Ponyville Town Hall. It wasn't hard to spot. Lightning flashed and thunder boomed, easily seen from across town.

A black, ethereal fog swirled around the building in coils. Stars glittered inside it, and it seemed almost like the night sky. Strange, there weren’t any pegasi around to make the weather.

I had a very bad feeling about this.

I slipped out into the street for a better view. Not long after the lightning and thunder stopped completely. But the fog drew together into one mass and flew off into the night sky. Right behind it was a chromatic blur that I recognized all too well as Rainbow Dash. Ponyville's weather manager and self-proclaimed "Fastest flier in Equestria." She had the speed to back her claim, which only added to my surprise when she gave up her chase and began hovering.

My surprise turned to horror as she seemed to notice me from the corner of her eye and turned towards me. Her eyes went wide, and so did mine.

"You!" she shouted, pointing with a hoof. "You stay right there or I’ll—“

I had already turned and was sprinting down the street by the time she began the threat. I had about ten seconds before Rainbow made a move, since she had a tendency to be extremely cocky in just about every situation she came across. I bolted down the alley, cloak billowing, and tried to use those precious seconds to think of a way out. I couldn't think of anything. With my pursuer being who it was, my options were severely limited. There wasn't much that could get past Rainbow.

A noise like a jet sounded out behind me. Rainbow was in motion, and I still needed more time.

She was already behind me a moment later. In an effort to buy a few more seconds, I dropped low and slid, Rainbow blazing past me, my cloak dragged forward by her wind.

I stood again, taking a wide stance in case I needed to make a move. Rainbow let out some pony curse word, twisted up to keep from repainting the side of an inn, and made a wide U-turn. That gave me a couple moments at best. I tried again to think of an escape but I was still clueless. Fleeing would just prolong my capture, and I had just used my only trump card. There was no outrunning Rainbow Dash.

She reached the end of her turn and shot towards me, eyes narrowed, mane and tail almost seeming to leave rainbows as she flew. I desperately tried to think of something but it just left my mind a tangled mess. I had only one option left.

I dropped into a battle stance, balling my fists as Rainbow sped towards me. She seemed surprised that I didn’t run, but she didn’t slow down, stretching out her hooves for an attack. I watched carefully, silently gauging the right moment… Just a second more…

Now! I shouted in my mind.

I leaned back, barely avoiding the outstretched hooves trying to grab me. Twisting my shoulders, I slammed my strongest right hook directly into Rainbow's side.

The next moment there was a crash behind me, a sickening sound of wood twisting and snapping. I turned around and saw one of the market stalls completely obliterated, carrots and wood chips strewn about the wreckage.

A groan came from the stall’s remnants, followed by some of the boards beginning to shift and slide off of a cyan shape. I should have turned and run then, but I just watched the pegasus slowly drag herself from the wreckage. She was hurt. Nothing so bad as a sprain, but more than a few large slivers had found their way into her hide, and a thin river of blood trickled down her left shoulder. She shook the rest of the boards off and tried to take a step forward. Her leg buckled and she ended up flat on the ground. But she stood again, legs trembling as they struggled to support her weight.

It was then that Rainbow finally looked up, her rose eyes full of the largest mix of emotions I'd ever seen. Four were more prominent than the rest: surprise, vengeance, curiosity, and fear. Her body was shaky, but her eyes were the opposite. They glared at me and dared me to try to fight her. I’d never known someone so shaken could be so intimidating at the same time.

I must have been an imposing figure myself, standing there, my travelling cloak covering my body like a shroud. The moonlight lit my cheeks, my nose, my mouth… the rest of my face was hidden. But even without knowing what I looked like, her eyes had found my own, and they bored into me.

The two of us stared at each other for a few long, drawn-out moments. Finally, I turned and ran.

"Ye-yeah, run!” Rainbow shouted at me. “Run like a coward! That's all you are: a thief!"

It was the last thing I heard before I left Ponyville and ran to the Everfree, not once looking back.

===|===|===|===

After reaching the edge of the forest, I stopped and nearly collapsed against a tree to catch my breath. My head was pounding. My heart, too. Beads of sweat dripped from my brow. After a minute of gasping for air, I decided to take the long way and hike back to my camp. I was athletically fit, but I still had limits and I’d been running a lot that night. It also gave me time to reflect, which wasn’t a good thing.

In all my time spent in Equestria, I’d never once resorted to violence in my dealings with ponies. Sure, I’d pulled the occasional trick to get some off my tail, but they were never harmed in any way. And to make matters worse, the mare I’d hurt was the only pony who would try to find me just to get revenge.

I knew I couldn’t think about this. I knew I couldn’t doubt myself. But I couldn’t get her last words out of my mind.

"...Run like a coward! That's all you are: a thief!"

The worst part was they were all true. After boiling down the past years, all I'd ever done in this world was stolen and survived, making me no better than a common thief. Nothing more, nothing less.

I made it to my camp, my thoughts still fresh. I’d already stayed up late, and I knew it wouldn’t be easy to sleep tonight. It was the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration, the longest day of the year. The woods weren't completely soundproof, and the sun would be rising soon.

I tossed my travelling cloak and the pack I’d made out of saddlebags at the side of my bed, barely caring that there were valuables inside. I dropped into bed fully clothed, hoping to catch at least a few winks of sleep before the sunrise. Sleep wouldn’t come. I twisted and turned, shifted positions constantly, but my thoughts wouldn’t go away. Those moments, from the time I’d struck Rainbow Dash to her words, floated around in my mind.

I wondered how I must have seemed to Rainbow, staring back just after sending her crashing into a carrot stand. From my position, she was the dangerous one, the mare who could easily catch me in a fair chase. Yet I knew there had been fear in her eyes. She shouldn’t have been afraid of me, I hadn’t wanted to hurt her. I hadn’t meant to hurt her.

But as I'd stood there, staring into the hateful rose eyes of a pony named Rainbow Dash, I'd been the Shroud: the thief... the villain... the mysterious figure who'd left her shaken and bleeding.

Author's Note:

So, I know I've said this a few times now, but I'm sorry about the delay on this chapter. I want to thank you all for being so patient as this went under production.

Now, starting off with the business part of this, I'm sorry to say the next chapter of Exposed won't be out soon. I do have a reason, however. I've been told via Skype from a few experienced writers that my first chapter is a bit "under the mark," as it were. I've looked into this issue, and to be frank, they're right.

And that's why I've decided to completely overhaul the whole chapter.

Yeah, not the best idea when I haven't made much progress, but it's still better to look into a problem while you still can. Besides, it might answer some questions you guys might have about Ryan and his experiences in Equestria.

In other news, I've also picked up an editor for Exposed. Look for his name in the story description.

Alright, now that I've covered most of the important stuff, it's time to say goodbye for now. Please feel free to like, comment, critique, maybe hit that watch button if you deem me worthy of your attention. If you need something else to do while you wait, look out for the revised chapter one. And on that note, Sandvich Brony, signing off!

Comments ( 43 )

Will Ryan ever get home?

a mess of and vorpal edges

Might wanna add the missing word there.

2873697 Didn't notice that at first. Thanks!

2873722 No problem.

Now for the story: the MC's angst about thieving and Rainbow's accusation, which apparently reflects the view of all ponies, are, in my opinion, uncalled for. Seriously, he may take the items he needs, but it's never much, he doesn't take actual money, and he always, ALWAYS leaves something of some value in turn (the CMC did use just a sliver of a ruby to buy a gigantic blow-dry machine after all). If anything, he's ninja-trading, not stealing - that'd incur that he just takes the things with no attempt at compensation.
If you wanted one piece of constructive criticism, this is it: i suggest you dump the "seen as thieving" aspect, or don't make it as overblown. As it is, it's a rainstorm atop a glass of water.

aww yeah! i had hoped this would continue i love this story!:rainbowdetermined2:

2873737 You may be forgetting, there was a time when Ryan didn't leave his "gifts." Also, gems are his preferred method of trade, but that's only when he actually has them. This ends up being a problem, because he gets his gems from the forest floor of Everfree. He does use wooden carvings he makes in his free time as a second method, but it's not too efficient.

Besides this fact, Ryan is still taking things without express permission, at night, actively trying not to show his face while sneaking around town. I think some kind of reaction from either side is expected.

I love this story, I saw that the next chapter wont be out soon, but I am too happy to care. Nice to see a new chapter.
Honestly, after he hit Rainbow Dash, I was expecting him to patch her up just enough to where she couldn't chase after him, and he would run.

Well, well, well...Seems like the story is moving along nicely, to be honest I didn't think you'd have him spotted in Ponyville, I thought you'd have him help them when they were running through the forest. It does bring some conflict to the story though, once he reveals himself to them. :twilightsmile: Below is a typo I found: :twistnerd:

*the first moment they could. I - the first moment I could. I

Yeah, you're a thief, true enough.
But what else could you have been, mate?

...ugh... Well that situation sucked. If I were in the situation, I might have tried to abduct Dash and hold her long enough to explain my side of things, but given that the elements will be needed and the MC already has a bad rep, it probably wouldn't have ended well. -_-

Ouch, just ouch, poor Rainbow and poor dude, they both had a hard night.

2876576 Ever heard of that catchphrase, "misery loves company"?

i have got to say this is probably one of the best HIE stories i have ever read and i read them all!!! keep up the good work:pinkiehappy:

Moar!

Keep being awesome!

It has been a month and two weeks... :raritydespair:

Looking forward to a new chapter, even though it has been a long time. If you want my opinion, I would make rewriting chapter 1 your second priority, with adding chapter 6 as your first priority. I'd like to see an update more than I'd like to see the rewriting, you know?

Comment posted by Mortal Kombat deleted Aug 10th, 2015

This is definitely one of the best fics I've read for a VERY long time.
For once there is actual character development in the main character!
I r shocked bro and I would hate to see this shiny beacon (or bacon) of hope
disappear, if it does I will surely yet again be thrust into the dark warped closet that I have come to know
as "Boredom" so please update soon. :raritycry:

We need an update! Please, please, I beg of you PLEASE!! </King Julien>

Srsly brah, we need an update, I've been severely lavking in the update department and this is one of the ones I'm awaiting eagerly for most.... please, can we have an update by New Years on the Greco-Roman calendar (and not the Lunar or Japanese New Years)? Puh-leazzz? I'll save you some egg nog....

this story is stillalive right?

3907123 Writing's slow going, but not dead.

I love this story's style!
Why isn't there more stories like this one?!
Everything in this works so darn well!

3926988

Posted 6 weeks and 2 days ago

Not dead?

3926988
So... how goes it?

4353221 ..... :rainbowderp: ... :applecry: "so true" *sniffle*

This is pretty good so far.

SO much potential here in this story....I want to see where it goes.

I like this story. Just wish it would be updated.

3926988 um yes this is dead

I shall summon the Necromancer, and he shall summon this story from the grave! :pinkiecrazy:

And here are the goddamn cliffhangers.

Comment posted by nospeedy deleted Aug 28th, 2016

Is this awesome story still updating?

This story still updating?

Will this story ever be revived?:fluttercry:

Is this story dead?:pinkiesad2:

Will this ever update again? :fluttercry:

So, a dead story huh? To bad, it was good!

Dang, this had potential. I thought it was a really great setting and well written too.

Login or register to comment