• Published 2nd Apr 2013
  • 17,857 Views, 102 Comments

Breakdown - DKN117



Not all stories end in sunshine, smiles, and easy forgiveness. Sometimes, the scars left by traumas run deeper than anticipated. And sometimes, long-withheld pains, fears, and doubts can cause a pony to hit their breakdown.

  • ...
12
 102
 17,857
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 62 )

why were spike and the cmc excluded from this chapter?

I don't know.

Both Rainbow's and Twilight's chapters felt strange to me. Partly because I'm on the side of the folks who don't think that Rainbow's friends should have to apologise for Rainbow making an ass of herself- though to be fair, you had Ponyville give Rainbow a very hard time as well, which didn't happen in the episode.

Still, we had ponies say how sorry they were over and over and over again, and both Rainbow and Twilight refusing to get off their high horse, and I just got sick of it. I felt like neither of the two deserved their friends, and I'm not sure that's the message I should've gotten here.

Addendum: I also want to note that, in my opinion, none of the above warrants a downvote, since it's all subjective, personal, and feelings on my part.

Soooo...no consequences for Twilight killing those guards?

2462609
In-Story Reason: Twilight wasn't really that angry with them after she'd calmed down. When she was a Nightmare, she hated anyone & everyone, including them. But once she had her head on straight again, she didn't have any quarrels with them that can't be sorted out by sitting down and talking for a couple minutes.

Actual Reason: I ran out of ideas, and wanted to get the story finished so I can get to work on my next project.

It reminds me of Bitterness story for some reason!

I really liked the Pinkie and RD chapters, but the Twilight one has one major flaw that kind of kills it for me. While I get that Twilight had become a Nightmare and therefore wasn't in her right mind, it still seems like everyone just kind of ignores the fact that she murdered four guards (and didn't resurrect them, despite clearly being able to do so) and traumatized the entire audience--including Spike and the CMC. I get that no one calls her out because she was effectively insane (and thus not entirely responsible for her actions) but it seems like someone should at least mention that, hey, Sweetie Belle's been having nightmares and Spike is scared to be alone with Twilight or something. I was also kind of hoping for a scene where Twilight is raging at her friends for leaving her and for someone to come in and be like, "you know that those guards left behind three widows and a daughter between them?"

But seriously, the first two chapters were great. I just have to nitpick all the time, it's a sickness.

So...we're just gonna ignore the whole "murder several royal guards in cold blood and commit treason" thing then? Okay.

A grudge will get you nowhere.

Comment posted by Silken Quills deleted Oct 8th, 2013

2506123 I agree. Those guards (nameless as always) had families and shit, the CMC and Spike are basically foals, and there was an insane Element of Magic torturing the minds of Canterlot guests...... just, really? But, the Pinkamena and Dashie chaps were great. :pinkiesmile: :rainbowkiss:

Teaj #12 · Oct 25th, 2013 · · 1 ·

I really liked the first two, mostly because they made sense and I could see it happening in a sense, but I didn't like Twilights so much. It was good writing, don't get me wrong, but frankly Twilight should have had some consequences for what she did, insane at the time or not.

I love how everyone's ignoring that Twilight's a murderer. :unsuresweetie:

and this reminded me of this!

“YOU WERE MY MOTHER!!!”

Particularly when Obi-Wan says that Anakin Skywalker was his brother

A mere four years after her imprisonment, Chrysalis was ‘freed’ by Ouranos, the Father of All Alicorns and one of the ‘four elder gods’ with the power capable of breaking her seal. Her body was too ravaged to remain in the material realm; he escorted her to the afterlife, to Purgatory to work off her sins for however many decades or centuries it would take to purify her soul sufficiently to ascend properly.

AW ,MAN! SHE DESERVED TO SUFFER MORE!

I don't know why, but I really enjoy stories like Twilight's section was in this story.

Why the flying fig did I put off reading this story for so long!? This is definitely going into my favs.

6152491 I agree with this. Please do more Breakdown stories.

“We were just doin’ what yer brother told us to!” Applejack replied. “An’ besides, you came in actin’ like a madwoman, hootin’ & hollerin’, sayin’ stuff that sounded totally crazy without any proof to back it up!”

what is this word you've used, "madwoman'"? :pinkiecrazy:

you should do more of these breakdowns cause i love this (thumbs up)

Holy… I mean, it was good…just…what did I just read? :rainbowhuh: also, "boo f**king boo" mfw: :pinkiegasp:

Have you ever considered making more Breakdown stories??? this is brilliant! :)

There are still so many potential breakdowns the series has to offer; I'd love to read more of this.

I guessing that Spike will explain to Twilight about why he did it.

8315583
Well Twilight basically said it. He was too afraid of them to not go against them. PLUS, hes still a baby learning.

So Spike is not guilty in anyway. Even if you argue that he still should have, many have fallen to peer pressure even strong-willed people.

8738940
I agreed with you, he was afraid of them to not go against them, but you did say that Spike is not guilty you know.

8738950
Well he isnt, why blame a baby for something he had no control over?

8738956
Well I can't blame Spike for something he had no control over, but what I can blame is Celestia, Shinning Armor and the mane for not listen to Twilight Sparkle and for nearly letting Canterlot fall in hooves of the changelings.

In the last chapter those guards did not deserve this when Twilight kill them.

8739028
exactly what I mean, as far we concerned.

In the end, Twilight did forgive her brother, her mentor, and her friends in the end.

8739048
Atleast it took years rather then months.

8739060
Yes, it won't happen again.

8739087
It wont happen again.

2 weeks later

8770528
Dont forget to Copyright it.
The Infamous Seven™

“No; we were born like this. You are the first pony in history to ascend to alicorn-hood instead of being born as one. I… just wish it had happened under more positive and joyful circumstances…”

Okay. First off I love the story, but this right here is stopping me from upvoting it. Celestia and Luna as natural born alicorns I can dig (its all but confirmed as cannon at this point.)

But I despise the idea Cadance is. AU tag doesn't really work as an excuse for me here.

“I know I should have brought proof” Twilight replied. “And I know I flew off the handle. Those were my mistakes, and I acknowledge them. But that doesn’t excuse you walking out on me, abandoning me, going ahead with the wedding without me! And all the other things you’ve done to me before the wedding over the past year, taking advantage of me, refusing to take me seriously unless the world depends on it! Actually, not even then! And… w-what if I had brought proof? I bet you’d have all still sided against me!”

Probably :applejackunsure:.

“No, we wouldn’t have!” Rainbow Dash shouted. “If you had brought proof, we would’ve sided with you even if Celestia herself didn’t!”

Bull. Shit:ajbemused:.

“Because we were short-sighted, insensitive fools who don’t deserve to have a friend as wonderful as you!!” Fluttershy wailed, finally speaking up.

...Fluttershy...:fluttershysad:.

“That’s not the issue here! I know that you couldn’t have done that, because a Changeling’s mind-altering spell physically prevents its target from doing that! But it only affects how the victim sees and thinks of the caster! It does not affect how they treat others! So you can’t blame Chrysalis for all of the things you said and did to me!”

Burn:rainbowdetermined2:!

It's funny how, you can discover such good stories even from like, what is this... 5 years ago(!? Man, time passes quick).

So nobody is going to talk about the fact that Twilight murdered a few Royal Guards? The fk?

“We were just doin’ what yer brother told us to!” Applejack replied. “An’ besides, you came in actin’ like a madwoman, hootin’ & hollerin’, sayin’ stuff that sounded totally crazy without any proof to back it up!”

Uh, Applejack, from what I can recall, Shining Armor did not tell you and the others to leave Twilight alone:ajbemused:. He didn't not even adress any of you while he was talking to Twilight after she chased 'Cadence' away. You were the one who told the others to leave and check on the fake bride, not Shining, so don't go shifting the blame on somepony else:twilightangry2:.

9126017
Well they DID die in battle (granted it WAS one sided) so it's not really murder.

“I am in agreement with Twilight Sparkle, sister” Luna said. “Your skills in handling threats to our kingdom are commendable when the threat is overt, but spotting and dealing with subtle threats are more my forte. I’ve actually been meaning to train and implement a special-forces and investigations branch that would be in charge of ferreting out hidden enemies and conspiracies, and they would also be used to closely monitor any other seals keeping dark entities at bay, so we wouldn’t have a repeat of Discord.”

Possible reference to the Dusk Guard Saga?

one hell of a rollercoaster ride, I liked it very much.

4826451
For some reason, this comment with your profile pic just does it for me. The confusing part is, I can't tell if I'm finding ironic or straight enjoyment from this.

Comment posted by TwilightSparkleRocks deleted Jan 16th, 2020

I loved the series,however there were two things I didn't like:
-the fact that Twilight got away with the fact that she killed ponies.I mean,Nightmare Moon TRIED to kill Celestia and she got banned for 1000 years,yet Twilight isn't even scolded?
-I wished you let out some words,such as"bitch"and"fucking"because in my opinion,they sounded so strange and out of place.
P.S:Instead of the last part,you could've made ab epilogue where we see that Twilight suffers some consequences and then all the things you wrote at the end.I felt that they fit more as an epilogue than an"wrap up"like you called it

9830827
To the person who disliked this comment:
What?

Wow

My mind is being conflicted so much that it's hard to explain. But I'll give this story one word:
Amazing

10294516
Rainbow Dash wouldn't kill Twilight Sparkle, even corrupted, for any reason; especially in front of Twilight's own family, her worshiper, and the Princess. Because Scootaloo would stop worshipping and looking up to Rainbow Dash, Twilight's parents would be grieving over their daughter's death and ordering the guards to arrest Rainbow Dash, and Celestia would exile the pegasus from Equestria forever for murdering her student (and her own friend); and the bearer of the Element of Magic at that. Without the Element of Magic, Equestria becomes forever defenseless and any and all future battles that may come; Equestria would lose badly.

Plus, no one was in danger during the Mare-Do-Well episode. In A Canterlot Wedding, EVERYPONY'S life was in danger from the Changelings. Rainbow Dash had learned her lesson of her attitude already and doesn't use it ever again. Plus, if Rainbow and the others listened to Twilight at the rehearsal, they could have stopped the Changelings from invading in the first place instead of putting all of Equestria in danger just for the sake of a wedding!

10332787
Infamous 7. You know [Princess Celestia, Shining Armor, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy(During the Canterlot Wedding)] Seeing that 6 of them left their brains on the sidewalk during that episode.

Login or register to comment