• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 1,755 Views, 39 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Preservation - Westphalian_Musketeer



With conversion bureaus already set up across Earth to help people with the difficult process of becoming a pony and moving to Equestria, what is Twilight being summoned to Canterlot for?

  • ...
37
 39
 1,755

Epilogue: Memory

We talked, we discussed, and as vast as the changes that had occurred in my absence had been, when we shared our stories, we realized that we really hadn't become so different. I worked on the archives, and started doing what I could to apply the human sciences to what I know of Equestrian magic. They were sad to hear what had happened to Michael, but moved on. Maybe that's why I wrote this, something to remember by. To thank those who helped me become the way I am today.

"Twilight!" Spike barged through the door to Twilight's study, a scroll wrapped in his tail. "Good news! That volunteer from Earth to help out with the Archives here? They were in Canterlot today! Princess Celestia's sending her and two others by train tomorrow!"

"Two others?" Twilight asked, nearly embedding her quill in the desk as she turned to her adoptive brother. "Did they volunteer to come over as well?"

Spike shrugged. "Not exactly. It's all in this letter!" He bent his tail over, and Twilight grabbed the scroll from him.

"Thank you, Spike." Twilight unraveled the letter and scanned it quickly. She nodded slowly. One convert from the Human Archives Project, Monica Radrim, was coming to assist in the archives. With her, her uncle, who was acting as a suretor for the good behavior of a convicted... Twilight looked up from the letter. Moisture gathering her eyes. A soldier of the Human Liberation Front who was converted by the Ponification for Earth's Rebirth, she thought.

Twilight looked at her desk. I don't know whether to be angry or pitying of them. She looked back up, mouth closed and eyes determined. Guess I'll just have to listen to his story.

"Hey, Twilight?" Spike asked, stepping towards the desk. "Whatcha working on?"

Twilight turned her head and smiled. "Just doing what I always do." She stepped past Spike and out onto the balcony outside her study. She looked over the Archives, brightly lit and slowly filling with more books over the years. "Remembering, studying, understanding."

"Great! Can I go fly?" Spike asked.

"Certainly."

"Alright!" Spike started running to the balcony edge.

"Outside," Twilight amended, making Spike halt.

"Awww."

Spike went down the balcony, wings drooping, and exited the Archives, leaving Twilight shaking her head. Still as impulsive as ever when he isn't helping me.

Author's Note:

And that's my entry for the TCB writing event!

For those of you who read my other TCB story, you'll realize the tie-in with this epilogue. For those of you who haven't, feel free to check it out with this link here.

Comments ( 35 )

Holy jesus its a whole story. Nice

Why would you post a whole story? You just minimized your chances for views and featuring.

GG.

Wait... is this a TCB fic that doesn't have the ponies being genocidal?

Somethin' that's not another instance of WAR WIT' PONIES INVOLVIN' TRANSFORMATION.

You get no auto-dislike from me, ser. Good work.

2204257

I asked this in his blog. It was for a competition in the TCB group. It had to be finished at submission.

2204257 It was written for a writing event, and that means the fiction had to be submitted in completion. So basically, it was released all at once because it was a contest. Or you could read 2204297 's post.

2204260 2204284 Most of the stories where ponies are genocidal actually belong to authors who are more closely affiliated with the "Anti-Conversion Bureau" group. Those stories are typically written in order to slander the genre as a whole. Emphasis on the typically because some of them were earnestly created to just be a good story, rather than to be spiteful.

2204131 Yep, hopefully this will light a fire under you to right something for the writing event yourself. :raritywink:

2204302
I would believe you if it wasn't for the fact that is seems that ever new and active TCB fic goes the genocide route with the ponies being monsters and Celestia... I mean Xenoestia being the biggest one of them all.

I *did* say it can be just like a complete chapter or something...

I'm gonna give this a read for shizzle.

2204409 ACB has a lot of members, if you want to see some stories without genocidal ponies, I'd well... recommend this story, along with the other Gammaverse stories, Fangwarden's stories have several stories where characters are actively trying to figure out a way to preserve the human species past the barrier. Windchaser's stories also have a distinctive lack of genocidal ponies.

2204410 Like the old phrase, go big or go home, besides, it ties in fairly well with what I have released so far in "The First Choice".

Umachan #10 · Mar 3rd, 2013 · · 9 ·

Ah crap, another Conversion Bureau story?

I am so sick of this genre.

2204470 Then just ignore it, or read it and tell me what's wrong with it. But don't just insult an entire genre. I don't go to mystery stories and crab at the author for their chosen genre. Kindly extend the same courtesy.

2204297 2204302 I see, said the blind man.

Umachan #13 · Mar 3rd, 2013 · · 12 ·

2204487
Make me.

You post a story like this on a public forum, especially one that has been done to death and you're going to get people that simply don't like it. And already 10 downvotes to 8 upvotes. Seems like I'm not the only one that either thinks your story bites or just hate Conversion Bureau stories. And if you don't like it, then I suggest you ignore comments such as this one.

2204302
Indeed. Those anti-TCB guys often make Celestia as an evil strawman (or, should I say, strawpony) just so that they can be justified on showing how "superior" humanity is compared to her.

And it's sad that this story get downvoted to hell, while the anti-TCB stories get many upvotes.

Well, the anti-TCB guys are quite organized after all so when one of them posts a story, the others will upvote it.

Even if it's "Good" per se, this is a fairly disliked genre. I have nothing against it or you, just warning you people are not generally going to be pleased with it and will give you a lot of crap for it.

2204513 who was listening to their fingerless daughter playing the piano...

LOL your comment has received so many downvotes it was hidden! wtf lol.

2204506>>2204487
Ha Ha! Internet Fight!

But I have to agree with the little horse, I've never liked these types of stories and while I know we only want to hear good things about our stories there are times you need to listen to your critics just as much if not more than your fans.

By the creators, so much hate on this story. Really, 17 dislikes and only 9 likes. I'm sick and tired of all this Conversion Bureau hate.

Well done. Well done indeed. Short, simple, and straight to the point.

Congratulations. This is one of the rare Conversion Bureau stories that I like. Good job.

2204587 He has provided absolutely no constructive criticism on the story, he's welcome to if he wants, but it is becoming apparent that he has no interest in actually doing so. I'm welcome to hear bad things about my story, but not obscure generalities about an entire genre.

2204590 2204574 2204571 I know. Appreciate the support.

2204614 Thanks.

2204506 then all human , all clop etc should be down voted by your remark. That is one of the most stupidest argument I heard . It like saying "I'm going to down vote and bash ,because their one misspell word".

Vexy #23 · Mar 3rd, 2013 · · 2 ·

Okay seriously, guys?

I'm not gonna lie. I'm a little bit sickened by the response this fic has received? Why does my opinion count? It doesn't really, I just wanted to point out he irrationality of judging a fic based on premise you've predetermined to be unworthy of your greatness.

Just don't read it.

That's all you have to do. You see it and say "Oh god, another TCB story", "Fuck my life", "This offends me greatly", "My whole life has been affected" or whatever, and you just move on.

If you read it and genuinely don't like it, then downvote, and leave a comment saying why you didn't like it, and suggesting what the author could do to improve.

I feel like I'm lecturing people on the rules of Fimfiction. Am I lecturing on the rules of Fimfiction? I'm trying not to :derpytongue2: I kinda feel like I'm raging, those idiots you commonly see making fools of themselves. I don't feel angry, I just saddened.

Hate can be so undeserving. If you want to find some hate, we've got more than enough of it directed at the fandom itself.

P.S It's opposite day, Downvote = Upvote :duck:

To emphasize my point, this got the same like:dislike ratio as my TROLLFIC

As in, my story that was pretty much just begging for dislikes, got the same amount of likes. Please, just go there and downvote it so I can feel better. :ajbemused:

2205903
Overreact much?

i never said I downvoted this story. Hell, that's just stupid to downvote something you haven't read but if you personally want to do so be my guest.

I just said that I'm sick to death of Conversion Bureau stories and I made this known. Also is English your first language because there were a lot of misspelled words in your little rant. Kinda ironic don't you think given what it was you said?
2206843
And I didn't read it. So what's the problem? Or are you one of those people that think that we need to all be nice to each other at all times. come together and sing "kumbaya" around a campfire?

I have as much right to come here and voice my displeasure at this type of story as you have to come here and say it's great. This is a public forum and regardless of your rules, I'm currently not breaking any with what I'm doing. But don't let that stand in your way of getting bent out of shape. No, your moral outrage at this is more important than my dislike of Conversion Bureau stories isn't it?

And based solely on your little rant I'm very tempted to simply downvote this in a petty kind of "so there" to you personally. Opposite day or not it still counts as a downvote.

2207036

I'm unsure of why I'm replying to this. I feel like I'm making such a big mistake. But whatever.

I'm one of those people that does think everyone should be nice, yes. I think everyone should try and be friendly, everyone should try and offer constructive cricism, and everyone should try not be a dick (As per Fimfiction rules).

And as for singing around a campfire? No, just no. :rainbowlaugh:

I'm surprised you bothered to respond to my comment; I wasn't directing it at anyone in particular, and you reply to it. :rainbowhuh:

Well, whatever, I'm arguing for a lost cause, to be honest. Thanks for your time.

2207061
Attitude gets me around pretty well in fact.

I'm the guy that doesn't sugar coat things and tells it like it is. If I think something sucks, I will tell you I think it sucks and strangely enough most people in the real world actually appreciate it because I'm being honest. I don't hide my true feelings behind words unlike just about everybody I know. I'm not doing this to be contrary or to show I'm really edgy or anything, that's just posing.

And saying something sucks is not the same as being a dick. Although from your point of view where everybody needs to be nice I'm sure you see it that way.

As for being surprised I responded to your comment simply because you posted the very tired, "if you don't like just don't read it" line. And I didn't read the story, but I commented on it and I will continue to comment on it unless people stop responding to me personally like sindragon did fiirst and which you did second. If you don't want me re-commenting on this, don't respond to any of my comments and I'll go away having simply said my piece.

2207121

That makes no sense! :rainbowlaugh:

I posted a comment to people in general, and you take personal offense to it, and I should just stop stop responding :rainbowlaugh:

It doesn't personally bother me that you're replying, and I wasn't suggesting you weren't entitled to (Please, feel free to reply to this.)

That point stated, why am I still here? Meh, nothing better to do. Fiction to write, and cba to write it.

2207144
Who says I took personal offense to it? No, I responded to it because you were all, "we need to be nice to each other".

Truth be told, you can't offend me. I don't get offended by random strangers even if they get in my face about something. I smile and wave which seems to piss them off even more than they were before. It's actually pretty funny when you get down to it. They're losing their sh*t, I've got a smirk on my face and they're getting more and more angry as time goes by until I just can't keep it in any longer and start to laugh at them.

2207223

Aye, I know what you mean. I've seen some people get pretty riled up on the internet and I just don't get it.

Perhaps I'm too empathetic; when I see someone angry I try and make them less angry. Guess that's just part of who I am :rainbowlaugh:

As for the subject of you disliking the fic (keeping on topic) What I was trying to get at is you can say something sucks, and you said the genre sucks, but you didn't read the fic itself. You can't say the fic sucks just because the genre sucks. :rainbowlaugh:

That's like saying [Insert Metaphor]

2204302
Yeah, there are conversion bureau story's that are spiteful towards ponies, but most of the pro-conversion story's I recall were spiteful and pessimistic towards humans. And like you said, some are good and some are bad. But more often then not I enjoy the anti-conversion story's, not necessarily the warfare one's, but the optimistic hope that humanity can and will survive, not as ponies but as staying humans. I thought this one was an interesting series of what if's Daleks and Cylons and Green men, Oh my!
overall, I liked your story, it's a pretty good one.

I see the Mordin reference you did there...

Anyway, nice story. I feel like it's more personal than TCB: OG, though, as it opts for a closer look at Twilight rather than worldbuilding.

Honestly, that's kind of refreshing. As much as you get to see Wrenn and his friends interact with others, there's always some worldbuilding going on that often overshadows the characters' development.

There are a few grammar mistakes, but none really stick out and say "FAHK YOU, beech!" when you read over the story.

Chapter length was a bit disappointing. A side effect of pushing this out complete, perhaps?

Other than that, I have no complaints. Good job! :pinkiehappy:

2302933 Mordin? :ajsmug: I :raritywink: have :rainbowkiss: no :scootangel: idea :pinkiecrazy: what :trixieshiftleft: you :trixieshiftright: mean. :unsuresweetie: [/fake innocence]

Good to know that my decision to make the story "First-Pony-Twilight" was appreciated.

As for chapter length, I basically chose that form to represent appreciable time skips, as this story covers about 6-7 years of Twilight's life over a period of time that extends from the end of Threshold to a few years before Option Gamma. I basically took the slice of life thing rather far, these are literally slices, because I doubt anyone wanted to read "Twilight reads Plato/Kant/Emily Dickenson/Confucius/Einstein/Sagan" for hours between these critical formative events in her life.

Plus, well, writing prompt, I had to push it out rather quickly.

Feel free to point out any particular grammar errors that were recurrent.

A Conversion Bureau fic. Ah. Still that doesn't explain the immense amount of downvo- Option Gammaverse. That explains it. Reginald, me good man, I think you just suffered from basically horrible luck. If the writing event this was written for was a TCB event, then no further explanation is needed as those always stir up people who despise TCB. Even more so if it's Gammaverse, a version that I've learned is not very well received by some for the orginiator creating unabashed griffon mary sue characters. Many people see TCB and jump on the hate train no questions asked. If you've ever seen TCB fics before this shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

As for me, it's fine. Preservation of mankind's knowledge is a decent enough premise even if I'm not a fan of it. Basically they haven't paid the blood price for that knowledge that humanity has as for them it is one more thing handed to them by the universe.

That aside, functionally it's fine. POV Twilight was an interesting change of pace from the usual third person adventures of Billy the passive aggressive beta-male who's about to become a pegasus to solve all his problems (The original TCB was very much hated for good reason. Interesting premise, abysmal execution....kinda like Cupcakes)

Overall do enjoy it's not one of the stories treating ponies as the god-blessed race come to save the filthy apes from themselves (The ATCB weren't the ones who thought this up, this was a trend in a lot of regular TCB stories where it's expected for the humans to simply accept this. This is pretty mysanthropic which is what sets people off so much.


Wow, I ramble. :facehoof:

2394067 Thank you for the candid and thought-out comment, it's stuff like this that keeps me going.

Login or register to comment