• Published 19th Jan 2012
  • 4,066 Views, 194 Comments

Ace combat: Shattered Rainbows - Brotato



Equestria is under attack by the Gryphon Kingdoms up north.

  • ...
4
 194
 4,066

Epilogue

Epilogue

Two years later...

Dear Princess Celestia,

How are you toda-

Lightning Spark was hunched over a writing desk inside a sunlit room coming from a window too his left. He crumpled up the parchment he had just scribbled on and tossed it over a shoulder toward the wastebasket that held several other attempts at writing. The small room he liked to call a study was large enough to fit his desk and a small bookcase while not feeling cramped.

He ran a hoof over his mane in frustration while sliding a fresh piece on his desk. "Come on Lightning, think. What would Twilight write if this was one of her friendship reports..." Sudden insperation flickered in his mind and he placed the quill's tip on the parchment.


Dear Princess Celestia,

It's hard to believe all that has happened these past two years after the war. Thankfully my nightmares and episodes have disappeared after settling down with Mist in Trottingham. Although the memories are still fresh in my mind like they happened just yesterday. I can still feel the sting of Mist's slap when we returned from the fortress.


Their arrival back to Canterlot was a dull one. The hangar was devoid of anypony as the forces that attacked the fortress came back home. A camouflaged plane stood out from all the other silver ones as they parked inside the hangar. Lightning Spark quickly climbed out from the enemy plane and took a moment to enjoy the several jeers from other pilots for completing their mission. Lightning scanned through the other jets until he spotted Rainbow Dash entering without her plane. She landed in front of him with an unamused look.

"You better explain yourself, Lightning." Rainbow pointed an accusing hoof at him. "I'm not trying to be a hard-flank, but you scared Mist Dancer half to death with your actions. She probably thought you died when you didn't respond over the radio."

Lightning's ears folded back as he looked away, feeling uncomfortable looking Rainbow in the eye. "I couldn't live with myself knowing my friends were in harms way while I was stuck here in safety." Feeling brave enough, he looked her in the eye. "What would you have done if you were in my hooves? Would you stay and twiddle your hooves while your friends risk their lives?" He quickly brushed way his inner smirk when her eyes softened.

"Alright, you have me there," Rainbow Dash admitted. "I guess I'm just being too overprotective of my friends. Heck, if I had the choice, I would've went there without the rest of my squadron."

"More targets for you I guess," Lightning joked. They both shared a laugh until he spotted Mist Dancer moving toward both of them. Lightning trotted forward ready to embrace her, but heard a sharp slap and felt a sting on the left side of his face. The first thing that went through his mind was confusion for what just happened. It quickly changed to realization, then sadness. He tried to apologize, but a hoof softly touched his lips.

"That's for making me worried sick for several hours!" She slid the hoof slowly down until it laid on his chest. "And this is for getting back at Gilford and making him fly away with his tail between his legs." She leaned forward and gave him a deep passionate kiss.


Lightning stopped for a moment to cherish the fond memory, mostly the kissing part, before returning to the letter.

It was quite a surprise for you to join us at the wedding. Even when I insisted to keep it small, she probably sent an invitation to every pony in Equestria. It was a good thing Pinkie Pie thought ahead and brought along those extra sets of chairs. I wonder how she knew to do that. Though it was nothing compared to the look on her face when I proposed. Priceless.

Also, I hope Rainbow Dash is still with the air force. It was sad for the both of us to leave, but we still keep in touch and visit. I'm happy she's finally found something she can truly enjoy. Showing off at the air shows around Equestria must be quite a bonus for her. Maybe I'll watch her latest show starting over at Manehatten!


"What? You're both leaving?" Rainbow Dash yelled in shock. The three of them stood outside Hoofington Air Base. Lightning And Mist had their things packed in dufflebags behind them, and neither of them had their uniform on.

Lightning Spark nodded his head slowly. "I'm afraid so, Dash. Now that the war is over, me and Mist decided to uh... settle down for a bit." He received a light nuzzle from Mist, which he responded in kind.

Rainbow Dash's eyes grew in desperation. "B-but we've been wingpony's since forever! Why can't you stay in Rainboom squadron and be with Mist?" She hung her head in defeat.

"You know full well being in your squadron involves staying away from home most of the time, Rainbow." Getting only a stubborn grunt from her, he put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder. "Look, I'm not disappearing off the face of Equestria. There's nothing stopping you from visiting us in Trottingham or writing to us. We may not be a part of your squadron, but you'll always be our friend. No matter how far away you may be. Alright?"

"Alright," Rainbow sniffed. She tried to hide her dampened muzzle. Seeing it was useless, she extended her hoof between Lightning and Mist. "Best aces in Equestria?"

Mist and Lightning looked at the hoof for a moment before returning the gesture. Mist's eyes started to turn misty as well from the tender moment. They both spoke in unison. "Best aces in Equestria."


Speaking of visiting others. Thank you for sending the reports to see how goldwing is doing. I wish I could pity her for caving in for her thirst for more power. I suppose you could relate it to being drunk, only that you remember everything you've done. However, I'm glad she's been given a second chance, even if her people don't trust her. I suppose 'time heals all wounds'.


Goldwing looked over this months taxes with boredom in her eyes. "I should hire a gryphon who can actually understand these reports," she muttered while flipping through the hundred-plus pages on her desk. Then an idea came to mind. "Blunt beak!"

The personal assistant for Goldwing stumbled in the room with the grace of a blind manticore. "Y-you called, your highness?" He started to sweat when she just stared at him as if contemplating how to punish him for no reason.

"I was wondering if you could help me with these taxes. I know you do them all the time so I was hoping you could 'show me the ropes' as they say."

"Yes, of course Queen. I'll do everything--huh?"

A smile formed on Goldwing's beak as she continued to explain. "I said would you be willing to join with me to finish this month's taxes?"

Blunt Beak repeatedly opened his mouth like a gasping fish. "A-are you well my Queen?" He was utterly confused that she wasn't shouting or threatening to hurt him.

Goldwing lowered the page she was reading to look at Blunt Beak "I learned much during the war and I plan to do my best to make amends. Every gryphon may not trust me now, but I hope they will open themselves with time. That, or another may try to take my place." Even after explaining herself, her servant still seemed skeptical. With a sigh she curled a single talon repeatedly to move toward her.

He did as he was told and went around the wide desk to sit next to her. When he was within armsreach, she wrapped an arm around him and gave a small hug, ignoring the small flinch he made. "I wish to apologize for treating you so badly in the past. Even as queen I shouldn't treat those under me with such disdain. Can you ever forgive me?"

She felt his tense body loosen up after hearing that and his shoulders slumped. "Of course, my Qu-" He was interrupted when she held up a talon.

"Please, just Goldwing. Until I can fully earn the trust of my citizens."

A small smile formed on his face and he did a small bow. "Of course, Goldwing."

"Thank you." She turned back toward the papers and sorted through the stack. "Now, let's start with the bigger collections and work our way down from there..."


Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about your request from your previous letter with Goldwing's reports. To be honest, I had to give it some thought and I hope you are pleased with my friendship report.

I learned that not even war can break the bonds of friendship. It can takes other shapes as well. Ponies I haven't met in my life trusted me and I felt the same towards them. Not because we were friends, but due to having similar goals and knowing we had to work together. When ponies focus on a single goal, we can achieve so much more by working together. Kingdom Fortress is real proof of that fact.

We all had our fears and doubts every battle. Would we die? Would you be victorious? We never knew, but we ran anyway head-first into an unknown outcome. We had to be better than our fears. Better than our nightmares. We had to face the worst, to prove we were the best. That was our reality.

Yours,

Lightning Spark

P.S. Any clue as to what happened to Gilford?

Two years ago, unknown desert, 0200 hours

A lone camouflage-painted jet flew across the vast desert, barely visible in the pitch darkness. The plane's gear lowered and started to slowly dip as if preparing to land. When it was about to crash into the sands, a long strip of sand ahead wavered like water, and the plane passed through unscathed. The sand then turned solid once again, leaving no traces behind.

Comments ( 35 )

Damn you cliffhangers!!!!!!!!! Why must you tease us with more conflict when the story is over? Why?!

This is a really really great ending to such a wonderful story :D

1031424 Thank you so much. :heart:

1031418 While I am honored you would respond to a comment of mine, I sort of want to know what you are trying to tell me.

1031441 Sorry. The next story is only a vague idea that I'm half sure it would work. I guess you could say I threw in my chips without even knowing what my hand was.

Comment posted by Cobra 1 deleted Jan 5th, 2016

Great story ending! Especially liked that last part of Lightning's letter. Shows the emotions that they go through everyday. :pinkiesad2:

Now there's two AC crossovers that are completed on this site, finished only a few days apart, almost have the same number of chapters, both have Equestria fighting government-brainwashed griffons, and BOTH hint at sequels. :pinkiegasp:

So Gilford's got a cloaked airfield eh? He could attempt to rebuild if he could scrap together some loyal zealots and make more tech. Or he'll force two allied countries at each other's throats like what Belka did to Osea and Yuktobania in AC5. :twilightangry2:

Guerrilla warfare, terrorist attacks, rebuilding his strike forces, allying with a rogue or evil nation, are a few of many ways he can still strike. :twilightoops:

And great use of the song at the end! The other crossover did 'The Unsung War' and fit it because that one was extremely emotional. You used 'Gotta Stay Fly' which is more

upbeat and heavy-paced action, which fits this fic more, even though both had good emotion and action regardless. Good work!

(I don't like 'Gotta Stay Fly's' rap though at the end though, Namco should have left that part out...)

Anywho, this was a great story and if you did make a sequel, count me in! :pinkiehappy:

:heart:

Silver out!

1031730 "So Gilford's got a cloaked airfield eh?"

Let's just say his race has been holding back on giving certain technologies to the outside world. :raritywink:

I need moar ace combat.......
TO THE VINTAGE GAME CABINET!

Nice writing there, dude. Good to see I'm not the only one who finished an MLP x AC crossover :)

You based the title on Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, and the final parts was this from Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation: images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090327144225/acecombat/images/8/88/Mis_15_splash_2.jpg

The incoming P.S. is for everyone


P.S. If you don't have Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War (AKA Ace Combat: Squadron Leader), then get it because it is WIDELY regarded as the GREATEST Ace Combat game EVER!!:pinkiehappy:

That was an epic story.
And as Warwolf Squadron has said: Gotta stay fly, gotta stay strong, And be Ace ready all day long.

1860708 Ac7 is better in my opinion.

1996776
Assault Horizon was ok, but it's nothing compared to AC5 in all aspects

1998016
There isn't that annoying point system to get the aircraft atleast.

true, but earning the aircraft in my opinion is VERY rewarding

Comment posted by Subatomic Seal deleted Aug 22nd, 2013

2709876
1) That was one game exclusive and it wasn't the best of it's series.
2) I hate that 6 was exclusive to XBox 360 after AC being Sony console exclusive (minus the GBA game but nobody talks about it), it pisses me off.

1031730 May I inquire as to the title of the other Ace Combat one?

2709895 *Gasps in excitement* There's a GBA version?? What's it called???

2710419
Ace Combat Advanced

2712055 Why does no one talk about it? Does it suck?

1860708 Really, the only reason I was planning to get it was because of "First Flight" and "The Unsung War". However, if it is good as you say, then all the more reason! Also, (I only have the demo for Fires of Liberation BTW) what about the Nimbus thing during The Invasion of Gracemaria?

2712525
I have only FULLY played 3, 04, 5, and Zero. If you want to start AC start with 04. I never played Advanced, I never hear anybody talk about it and it is top down.

2712534

it's still there in mission 1, but it's nothing to worry about really

2712859 I know it's in mission 1, the demo has that mission, but what happened to it?

Comment posted by FlyingEagle93 deleted Jun 13th, 2013

2714482

Later in the game (Mission 8 or 9 I believe) you take on the airborne aircraft carriers that launched those missiles (use an aircraft with RCL to maximize damage)

2714579 RCL? What does that mean? In the demo, you only get one plane, and two kinds of missiles, the basic missiles, and the missiles that can lock on to up to four enemies at a time.

Want me to show you the mission

I think I have an idea for a sequel. The gryphon guy who's name escapes me rounds up a group of people (Diamond dogs, gryphons, anything that's not a pony) and wages war on both Equestria and the Gryphon Kingdoms. The group uses multiple super-weapons from the series, including the Scinfaxi and Hrimfaxi, the Arkbird, the Aigaion, and all that stuff.

I hope the sequel will be a Ace Combat/Sonic The Hedgehog/MLP. Besides Sonic is an amazing pilot including Tails. So those 2 would help Equestria and the Griffons save the world.

Login or register to comment