• Published 7th Jan 2024
  • 1,458 Views, 60 Comments

Sweet Button Mash - David Silver



Who knew that reading those books on advanced pony robotics would have such a quick turnaround? He'd sacrificed everything! Weeks of videogames! Weeks of new movies! Weeks of comics! All of it, worth every moment for his new creation.

  • ...
3
 60
 1,458

9 - Happy Endings

Cream smiled at the real Sweetie. "Finally. There's the pony." She waved Sweetie inside. "Come in, come in." She guided Sweetie along into the living room. "Button! You have a guest!" She hollered out with practice.

Button came at a gallop. "A guest? Who? Oh Hey." A second set of hurried hooves came behind him, Sweetiebot joining him. "Wow, both Sweeties," he laughed out nervously. "What brings you by?"

Sweetie Belle nodded at Button and Cream. "Thank you for inviting me in. Button, I wanted to talk to you."

He cringed with worry. "Are you mad?"

"No." She hopped up onto the sofa and sank on it. "Sit." He sat like a well-trained little colt. "We just talked before. I'm not mad at you. We've been friends for… moons. But never more than… surface. I want to try poking just a little further."

Sweetie Bot sat and clapped her hooves eagerly. "Friendship level gained!" Triumphant music issued from within her. "Do we gain a perk to spend on this level?"

“There. Are. Rules.” Sweetie Belle clopped a hoof firmly. “You can only date one us. The other one is the sister. Rule two, if you blow it with one of us, you blow it with both of us. If you wanna do this, Botsy stays with me.”

Cream inclined her head at the curious exchange of the foals before her. She remained quiet for the time.

Button's eyes boggled, bouncing rapidly between Sweetie Belle's sudden forthright gaze and her sternly cheerful robot twin beside her. Date?? SISTER?! Was he hallucinating out of anxious excitement or did Sweetie Belle legit just volunteer herself as a...a girlfriend option?!

Sweetiebot gasping dramatically and throwing forelegs around the thoroughly stunned filly seemed to confirm this was ACTUALLY REALITY. "Acquiring sibling! I am so happy I could cry! Please enjoy your courtship parameters - I will be the most supportive sister unit ever!" She nuzzled her "sibling" elatedly as Sweetie Belle snorted in amused exasperation.

"H-hold up!" Button finally managed to cough out, face positively incandescent as his pulse hammered wildly. Waving frantic hooves between the eagerly snuggling pair, he stammered "You...you really wanna try, uh, like dating stuff Sweetie Belle?? With a dweeb like me? This isn't another bot hug prank??"

His eyes darted to his silently smiling mother, hoping for some signal this was or wasn't an elaborate fever dream. Cream merely sipped her tea with a Cheshire grin, contentedly observing the adorable drama unfold. No help there!

Swallowing hard, Button turned back to Sweetie Belle, trying and failing to grasp how this was really happening! "I-I mean, not that I would ever wanna say no!" He laughed awkwardly as Sweetiebot nodded emphatic encouragement beside the mildly smirking filly. "I just kinda can't believe my luck...you're the coolest Sweetie Belle!" Giving her his goofiest, most genuine smile Button extended a hoof. "Sooo...wanna player two my heart?"

The cringey line prompted muffled cackling from Cream and a delighted squee from Sweetiebot. But Button stood by it proudly. After all...he WAS asking out the sweetest gal around! So might as well be true to his gamer spirit. Right? Laughing nervously he shot Sweetie a helpless 'what do ya say?' shrug. However she decided, having his brilliant friend by his side now too felt like winning regardless!

Sweetie waved a hoof slowly. "You should feel bad for that one." She leaned forward with a little smile. "But I am pressing start on this one." The laugher of Cream echoed around them. "Your mom is really… enjoying this." She rubbed her cheek. "My parents are way more hooves off."

“Just so you know, if you chose Botsy, I was still taking her, and if you get weird with my sister, It. Is. On.” Sweetie shot a predatory grin.

“I like her!” Cream heart grinned wickedly.

“I hugged Button when he woke up!” Sweetiebot cheerfully declared. “It was chaste, wholesome, and nothing at all to be concerned about.”

“Thank you dear.” Cream heart smiled at Sweetiebot and and then turned to Sweetie Belle, “Thank you.”

"Yeah, thanks." Button rubbed at one arm with the other hoof. "Look, Sweetie." Both Sweeties looked at him. "Belle. If we're talking… dating…" He colored furiously. "There's only one actual choice." He pointed at Belle. "Sweetiebot is a great friend, and fantastic play buddy, but I didn't make her to date her…"

Sweetie Belle nodded sagely as Button clarified in no uncertain terms that his robotic recreation was purely a platonic social stand-in...not romantic material. Probably wise to set those boundaries firmly! "Right as rain Button! Don't wanna muddle a good buddy bond."

She reached over giving Sweetiebot an affectionate one-armed hug and nuzzle despite the oddness of hugging her metallic twin. "Ain't that right sis?" Sweetiebot blinked then broke into a smile that threatened to split her faceplate.

"Oh absolutely! My social affiliation priorities place all friends on equal hoofing regardless." Returning Sweetie Belle's nuzzle gently she added "But the familial connection definitely takes highest precedent!" Giggling happily, the robot filly gave her template another firm but calculated-not-to-crush squeeze.

"However as the surrogate sister unit I am coded to be protective!" Leaning around Sweetie Belle she narrowed her optical lenses at Button in an exaggerated scrutiny. "Therefore I will be compiling extensive background checks on your romantic intentions Mr. Mash!" Waving a stern hoof she pronounced in a ridiculous drill instructor tone "One step outta line buster and you'll answer to ME!"

Her faux boot camp barrage dissolved into snorting laughter a moment later however. "...But truly your documented character metrics already align with ideal coltfriend principles!" Beaming Sweetiebot shoulder bumped the furiously blushing Button playfully. "So pending continued priority behavioral updates I fully approve the pairing!"

Sweetie Belle just dissolved into helpless giggles falling onto her side at her robot sis' antics. "PFFAHAHA Botsy you are TOO MUCH! Where the hey did Button's wacky brain even pull your nutty personality from?"

Said inventor rubbed his burning face groaning embarrassedly. But seeing his crazy robo-creation get along so smashingly well with her organic template? His hammering heart swelled happily regardless. Building Sweetiebot felt like the best decision he'd ever made - glitches, quirks, hugs and all!

Cream observed it all with a knowing motherly smile. Taking a sip silently, she caught Button's glance her way. I told you so! her grin communicated wordlessly. You've got yourself a real keeper there! Pride and encouragement shone in her gaze. Yeah...he sure felt like the luckiest dweeb in Equestria alright!

Button gave a nervous chuckle. “Actually, training the AI was the really tricky part. Anypony with my schematics and access to the parts could build the basic chassis… Luckily I kept the schematics safe and sound in my diary!”

“Thank goodness for that!” Sweetie laughed lightheartedly. “We wouldn’t want this technology falling into the wrong hooves.”

For a reason she couldn’t place, Cream Heart’s “mom-sense” caused her left eye to twitch.

“Wanna go to the arcade?” Button asked with a happy grin.

Sweetie bonked Button gently. "You are addicted to that. Today, your girlfriend is dragging you out to the park."

"What?" He complained, but he let her drag her away to spend some time doing something besides his beloved games. He'd have to stretch out a bit to fit another pony in his life, but some part of him felt like it would be worth the price of admission.

Sweetiebot trailed behind with a bright smile, perfectly happy with her creator and sister. "Should I get nutritious snacks for the occasion?"


“What about Snails?” Diamond Tiara suggested, as Silver Spoon tinkered with a pony shaped machine hidden beneath a fabulous high-thread count bed sheet in Silver’s basement. “He’s like a Buckball star now. And he’s nice… even charming in a certain zen and the art of vacuous kinda way…”

“Don’t you get it, Dee Tee?” Silver seethed. “Sweetie never even talked about Button in her diary! She took somepony I liked just because I liked him! She knew because I said it in my diary! Grrr! There should be rules about spying on other pony’s diaries!”

“How did you learn how to build a robot, anyway?” Diamond cast suspicious eyes on her friend.

“That’s not important!” Silver Spoon screamed.

"What is important." She touched the soldering iron in place a delicate moment. "Is that I get this right…"


Button took a deep breath of the fresh spring air, a blissful smile plastered on his face. For once his gaze lingered on the vibrant flowering trees and chattering birds rather than the blinking lure of arcade screens as he strolled hoof in hoof through the Ponyville park with his new special somepony Sweetie Belle. And her robot twin sister of course - Sweetiebot trailed a few paces behind, cooing delightedly over colorful butterflies and industriously scribbling 'nature notes' into a small observation journal.

Gotta admit, getting dragged out into the sunshine wasn't Button's first activity choice for their inaugural kinda-sorta-date. But seeing Sweetie's eyes light up smelling the lilac bushes as she swung their joined hooves playfully? Yeahhh he could get used to more walks in the park if it made her smile that sweetly! Even if the sunshine glare off Sweetiebot's chassis was nearly blinding him.

"Sooo uh, having fun so far?" Button ventured shyly, giving Sweetie's hoof a gentle squeeze. "I know this isn't as exciting as the arcade or whatever but, figured I should try doing more...y'know, normal dating stuff!" He grinned self consciously as she giggled.

"Are you kidding? This is great!" Sweetie gave him a radiant smile that set his cheeks aflame. "Honestly way better than getting holed up indoor all day playing games." At his nervous chuckle she bumped him affectionately. "I mean don't get me wrong, games are super fun WITH you! But everypony needs fresh air and exploration too."

She winked slyly his way. "Gotta get that Vitamin D so a certain somepony doesn't turn into a total Mole Pony."

"Pfft, oh, ha ha," Button shot back, unable to hide his grin regardless. She wasn't wrong - between marathon gaming sessions, angsty coding marathons, and angsty journal writing marathons, he didn't exactly spend a ton of time soaking sunlight. "Buuut I guess I can suffer through for an awesome date like you," he managed cheekily, eliciting another melodious laugh from his enchanting player two. Oh yeah, he was crushing hard! But the sunshine felt a little brighter knowing she kinda was too...

"I support increased solar exposure as well!" Sweetiebot piped up, having gathered a hoof full of interesting sticks and leaves and Celestia knew what else during her nature inventories. "Your melanin production could use improvement! Also Vitamin D promotes-"

"Hah we get it, thanks Sissy Bot!" Sweetie interrupted with an affectionate eye roll. Falling back to walk beside the robot filly she gave her a playful nudge. "Buuut maybe lay off the science reports 'kay? Nature is for feeling!" Sweetiebot blinked thoughtfully as Sweetie waved a hoof across the scenic landscape. "Just look around! Ain't it pretty?"

Her twin gave a performative gasp. "You are quite right organic sister! My factual fixation filters out experiential appreciation!" Dropping her samples, Sweetiebot extended her sensors fully, inhaling an imaginary breeze. "The variability of stimuli here provides endless creative inspiration!" Spinning with outstretched limbs she exclaimed "We must integrate more organic recreation going forward!"

Laughing brightly she zipped back over to bump flanks affectionately with Sweetie Belle before circling an amused Button Mash. "Fun drives at 110%!"

Button inclined his head at Sweetie Bot. "It should stop at 100. Huh, remind me to check that later."

Sweetie Belle swatted at him. "She's joking!"

"I am not." Sweetiebot looked confused at the idea. "The sensors read 110%"

Though not perfect, Button hugged his two Sweeties. "We'll figure it out, later. For now, stop looking at that and let's, you know, have fun."

They dashed off together, having a life that was surely free of any noteworthy incidents from then forward.

Author's Note:

This was a somewhat silly little romance. We had fun writing it. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

There may be a sequel, maybe? We'll see.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!

Comments ( 7 )

Little trick for robotics that NASA uses.

Maximum power is 100%.

But Maximum Binary power is 128% for when you really, absolutely, positively need that 20% plus excess power to survive th next few moments. :rainbowwild:

They dashed off together, having a life that was surely free of any noteworthy incidents from then forward.

That is is ASKING for trouble

11809977
Murphy is chuckling like a maniac, I'm sure. This can only lead to shenanigans!

At first I thought this fic was gonna be weird! Then it got super cute, then it just got more and more adorable as time went on...

And now it looks ended in the most adorable way it could! I loved every bit of it! :heart:

11809977 And I suspect Silver Spoon will deliver the answer.

Silver Spoon's diary logic is great!

Totally platonic hugs are win.

Login or register to comment