• Published 20th Feb 2022
  • 1,261 Views, 14 Comments

Love versus Society - Short-tale



Luna finally admits to herself that she loves her bedmate Derpy. But romance comes with high society consequences.

  • ...
7
 14
 1,261

Chapter 3: The Ponies on the Lawn

Luna and Derpy returned to the castle after burning off the ire of the night. They swooped in for a landing. The princess caught the klutzy mare seconds before she collided with the castle topiary.

There was a unicorn waiting for them as they ascended the steps. She stood red faced and tapping her hoof on the cold marble tile. Derpy slowed as soon as she caught a look at that face.

“Good evening Fleur,” Luna said cordially. A guard opened the door for them and the party entered.

“Princess Luna, can I just borrow a moment of your time?” The voice was overly sweet. It did nothing to disguise the frustration and anger just beneath the surface.

“Guard, take Derpy to the library and help her pick a book she likes. I will read it to you to relax.” The guard bowed low to the Princess then helped lead the wayward pegasus down the hall. Luna and Fluer stared at each other with agitation as they listened to the hoofsteps disappear out of range.

Immediately Fleur’s sugary facade fell. She turned red and took long deep breaths. Then finally said, ' Did you two enjoy your evening?”

“Some parts,” Luna admitted. She wasn’t angry. She wasn’t guilt filled. She simply waited, like a cow does a storm it can’t out run.

“Well you two created a PR nightmare!” The torrid began and the rain started to fall. “You scared most of my friends and colleagues! Forget all the work we did to bring your image back from Nightmare Moon! You unraveled everything in ten minutes!”

“You are incorrect. It was they who were unreasonable and slandering my girlfriend!”

“I warned you this would happen!” Fleur stamped her hoof in frustration.

“And I argue that it shouldn’t. It is not right that your friends can belittle somepony that is different.” Luna glared into the unicorn’s eyes. “She did nothing wrong except to stand up for me. I should have done the same for her but I heeded your advice. I was wrong too. This problem is not one to be ignored but championed as the injustice it is.”

“Look, Luna,” Fleur’s expression softened. “You’re right. This is against the friendship we’re trying to help Twilight bring to Equestria. But yelling at them and threatening them isn’t the answer.”

“What is, then?!”

“I don’t know.” Fleur stared at the ground. This was much bigger than her. She was used to dealing with wardrobe issues and asking Luna to smile more. This was out of her depth.

“And I am to let my girlfriend be publicly ridiculed in the meantime while you figure it out?” Luna snorted. She turned and decidedly walked away. She already knew the answer. She wouldn’t make the same mistake again.

The couple spent the rest of that night reading and playing games. Luna decided that Ponyville’s dreams could stand not having their protector for one night. Especially the supposed “upper class.”

Soon the morning twilight began to fill the room with a soft orange glow. Derpy was already yawning. The princess scooped her up and placed her on her back. She walked to the twilight room holding her date in place with her wings.

“Did you have a good date?” Celestia asked, as the exhausted ponies entered.

“I’m afraid you shall hear about it sister.” The night princess found a small cup of milk to drink. “There is a precedent for rudeness that I do not agree with. I am not sure how it can be changed but I am sure you shall be briefed by Fleur de Lis. She was most irate. As am I.”

“Oh dear. Are you two fighting again?” Celestia looked at her steaming cup of morning coffee and wondered if it would be enough.

“So it would seem. Perhaps we could have another meeting to discuss it. But not now. My date and I are exhausted from our ordeal and wish to retire.”

“One of you already did.” Celestia pointed to the dozing Derpy. She sighed. The two of them wouldn’t be able to work on this problem until evening at the earliest. She braced herself for whatever Luna did the night before.


It was late in the afternoon when a knock at Luna’s door woke her. She lifted her head and wondered what had occurred while she slept. Her bed was in disarray and Derpy was draped over her like a wrestling match. The little mare released soft coos as she slept.

“Luna? Derpy? Are you decent?” The voice by the door asked.

Luna snorted. What type of mares did they think they were? Just because they slept in the same bed often didn’t mean they were engaging in that. Then again it was expected of a couple.

“Derpy, we are being sought for. Please wake.” Luna whispered to the pony on top of her.

“Mmmm muffins from the stars are tasty.” The pegasus rolled on her back still draped over her princess. She cooed again and sighed back into the depths of slumber.

“I shall get you muffins.” The voice at the door promised. Whoever it was seemed to know magic. Derpy was up and stretching.

“Muffins?! You mean it?!” She looked at the door as if it was the one that made the offer.

Luna slowly got up. As her hooves hit the floor a sound made it to her ears. It was like a roar of a distant sea. Or a crowd on her lawn. The princess opened the door to her room and nearly ran headlong into Fleur de Lis standing outside with muffins.

“Princess Luna!” the unicorn gasped. She was able to step out of the way and hold a coffee and muffins in her magic. “Are you alright?! I just wanted to make a peace offering to you two.”

“Why is there a crowd on our lawn?” Luna cried. “I know the sound of a mob when I hear one.”

Fleur sighed. “You’ll see. It’s something I put together after sending out a few scrolls. It’s to help with the problem we were talking about last night.”

“Can I have my muffin?!” Derpy burst through the door, tripped, and fell into the Princess’s flanks. Luna pitched forward and landed on her barrel. She felt Derpy wrestling with her tail.

“Uhh,” Fleur backed away from the suggestive pair. “I was offering muffins. You know the food. Not ..”

“Muffins!” The little mare jumped up like nothing had happened. “Can I have one? I’ll be good.”

Luna slowly got up, her face bright red. “Please do not speak of that Fleur.”

“Gladly.” The unicorn was dancing to keep from being barreled over by the excited pegasus. “Calm down, Derpy. I got them for you. Here.”

A muffin floated its way towards its doom but didn’t know it. The world was safe and happy around it, in it’s magical bubble. But the fate of happy muffins is inevitable. Especially around a hungry pegasus. The muffin's only regret was that it never saw Prance. Then a pair of hungry jaws snagged from its telekinetic cocoon and it was pulled into the depths of oblivion. And excitement.

“So what is this solution you have put together?” Luna asked, redirecting the conversation.

“Come outside. They’re waiting for you.” The unicorn didn’t say anything else and walked away.

Luna followed cautiously while her mate ran along after the muffin bearer. She sipped the coffee of peace and groaned internally. Most likely it was some press conference made to make amends. She would have to apologize for her and Derpy’s behavior.

The coffee became acid in her stomach at the thought. She didn’t think she had anything to apologize for. Reporters rarely focused on the facts any more and relished in the thought of bringing special ponies down. Not that she thought she was above them. She just didn’t appreciate their motivations.

“Oh don’t look so glum,” Fleur chided. “You’ll like this I promise.”

“Is it more muffins?” Derpy bit into her second victim of that afternoon and relished the spongy texture.

“Well, we can get more but that’s not what this is about.” Fleur stopped by the door and quickly straightened everyponies’ manes before opening it. “Ok, everypony big smiles.”

Luna hated forced smiles but she grabbed Derpy’s forehoof and held it close. Derpy smiled brightly at her and a matching smile rose on the princess. The door opened and sunlight streamed into the nocturnal Princess’s face.

Luna couldn’t see but the ocean roared as she and Derpy walked out. She looked at the ground to clear her vision and the first thing she saw was a half eaten muffin roll into her view. She forced her eyes to focus and looked at her girlfriend. Derpy stood still gawking at the lawn. It wasn’t a painful expression, just one of pure shock.

The Princess swung her majestic head around to see. And the ocean roared once more. Finally she could make out the forms that made up its wake. Ponies of all shapes and sizes stood out on the field. Some holding banners, others holding signs. They all wore a blue and grey striped shirt with a moon surrounded by bubbles.

“What is this?” Luna asked the empty air. Her legs locked, her beat faster and her lungs didn’t want to keep up with her increased needs.

“This is Duna,” Fleur announced proudly. “This is the vehicle for the change you wanted. I sent a scroll to Pinkie Pie and Rarity. I told them what happened. They organized this in a day. I don’t know how.”

A grey earth pony approached the Princess and looked at her with no expression at all. “Hello,” she said in a flat deadpan. “I’m Maud Pie. Pinkie told me about your situation. I understood. I know what it’s like to be… different. So we worked to put together this movement. The different and unique national association.”

“That’s not set in stone yet,” cried Fleur, cutting off the monotone spokespony.

“We have a lot of ponies that are…different. We plan to bring awareness and stop others from treating us differently. It shouldn’t be that way and we’re going to fight. With words. I don’t like violence.” Maud turned and walked to a podium.

“Hello. I’m Maud and I’m different,” the pony began addressing the crowd. “I don’t want to be treated differently. Thank you for coming.”

The monotonous speech ended and the crowd roared. Especially a bright pink member that whooped and hollered as the pony left the podium.

“That’s the spokespony?” asked Luna in disbelief.

“Yeah! She’s perfect to represent the type of ponies you want to reach for this. And Pinkie said she’s really excited about it.” Fleur looked at the Princess in pride.

“Fluer,” Luna began. “I am grateful for your assistance.”

Derpy was hopping up and down in excitement. “Look Luna! They’re wearing shirts with our cutie marks on it! And they’re saying Duna which sounds like Luna but has a D. Like my name. “

Derpy flew to her mare and gave her a kiss on the lips once more. It was readily returned. The monarch couldn’t help but blush.

“It’s great we have so many new friends!” the little mare shouted excitedly. “I don’t think I could be happier. I have friends and a beautiful girlfriend and a pretty dress and muffins!”

Another muffin floated to the ecstatic pegasus from Fluer. She greedily bit it. Luna smiled at her delighted girlfriend. She picked her up and kissed her muffin crumb covered cheek. The crowd roared once more. Change was coming. The couple was the beginning of it.

Comments ( 8 )

Why'd you name one of your stories SleeplessB?

This story is exactly what I want to read in a crack-ship: something that initially sounds ridiculous but works surprisingly well when played straight. And bonus points taking Derpy's neurodivergence seriously instead of being a cheap joke. I don't know what to say, other than have a muffin, of course.
🧁

Amazing story. Love this pair and im hoping for a sequl in the future

11161504
They will appear in some fics in the background. I don’t have a sequel planned yet. But maybe I could be motivated. I do love the pairing.

A bonito ostia

You unraveled everything in ten minutes!

If she managed that with so little, then that's a rather pathetic display for this society, is it not?

Heh. Duna. The sister vessel of Tuna, I presume. Love the name.

11158403
And I whole-heartedly agree with this.

Can we have a sequel please?

“Mmmm muffins from the stars are tasty.” The pegasus rolled on her back still draped over her princess. She cooed again and sighed back into the depths of slumber.

aww, a very cute Derpy moment

A muffin floated its way towards its doom but didn’t know it. The world was safe and happy around it, in it’s magical bubble. But the fate of happy muffins is inevitable. Especially around a hungry pegasus. The muffin's only regret was that it never saw Prance. Then a pair of hungry jaws snagged from its telekinetic cocoon and it was pulled into the depths of oblivion. And excitement.

this was clever but, unfortunately, a bit tonally off from what the rest of the story is trying to do. i definitely understand why you'd want to keep this in, though, since it is fun

“This is Duna,” Fleur announced proudly. “This is the vehicle for the change you wanted. I sent a scroll to Pinkie Pie and Rarity. I told them what happened. They organized this in a day. I don’t know how.”

and this was a fun way to make the ship name diegetic. "different" as the pony term for what we would call "neurodivergent" is actually a pretty nice touch that fits with how Maud uses it canonically.

Login or register to comment