• Published 14th Jun 2020
  • 4,752 Views, 306 Comments

What you Need - Hemlock conium



Sometimes what you need isn't obvious, or easy.

  • ...
22
 306
 4,752

Chapter 33: And punishments...

Starling’s mood had significantly soured since that little run-in. Actually little might have even been an understatement. Before he ran into Phoenix he had been fairly decent. But that filly was like a disease. The longer she lingered the worse his mood had gotten. If she had just kept to herself, maybe, her somewhat lone wolfish nature would have been passable, but she didn't. This time it also cost his friends, most notably Carapace, to get hurt and that was unforgivable.

The thought alone caused his claws to clench and his blood to boil. He felt liek a volcano about to uncontrollably explode. He nearly put his claws into the wall to alleviate some of his frustration only to stop just before he could do damage. Instead, he gave a frustrated growl of annoyance. With some of his frustration now alleviated he pulled his sharpened claws back and indignantly stomped the ground.

Maybe he just needed some good clay between his talons to slowly beat off his growing stress, the gryphon reasoned. With another brief snort escaped his nose hole before he began to make his way towards the art room again. The whole while his thoughts were a duality of anger for Phoniex and the need to get his mind off his stress.

That brat,

Relax,

She did this,

Just ignore her.

His thoughts went back and forth like this for a long while he wandered the halls towards the art room; only to be stopped by possibly the only voice he wanted to hear less than Phoenix's.

“I was wondering what could be causing such a ruckus. Figured it had to be you or Teratorn,” the smarmy voice practically sang in perverted delight. Star felt his gut nearly wretch at the noise; he quickly started walking again to try and put space between him and the other gryphon. Unfortunately, he could hear the other gryphon give pursuit. It was quite especially in comparison to his annoyed breathing and loud thoughts, but he could definitely hear his pursuers feet heavily crush into the icy cloud floor.

“Go away, Albatross, I'm not in the mood.”

“Oh relax, I’m not here to hassle you, this time….”

“Then what do you want,” Star irritably demanded as he kept walking.

“Simple! We both hate Phonioex, right?” Starling didn't answer that question but it was enough to make him stop dead in his tracks and turn to face the other gryphon. Albatross wore a smug grin that his voice didn't due nearly enough justice, seeming pleased to have so easily hooked Starling. The whole thing made him want to deck the gryphon cross the face. But Starling refused to stoop to Albatross’ level.

Though it did raise the question did he hate Phoniex? He certainly didn't like her, far from it he was certain on that front. But did he realy hate the filly? Sure he was frustrated with her, more than usual, but hate felt like a strong word. Starling’s internal doubt however was visible, and like blood in the water, Albatross attacked. Eager to clam down on Starling and drag him deep into the depths of his domain, of the dark cold waters.

“Well I don't even know why I asked, Of course, you do,” he began. Starling began to speak up in protest but Albatross cut him off before Starling could even rationalize his own thoughts.

“She put your beloved Carapce in the Hospital. Shes constantly spit in you and your friends' faces. Really she's quite the parasite,” Albatross singsongly hummed, “Anyway, are you interested?”

Much to Albatros's delight, he could see the internal conflict in Starling’s mind spread like a poison. His face twisting from conflicting thoughts to hesitation.

“In what,” Starling cautiously prodded

“To get back at the little brat, duh. She's clearly teed you off, after putting Carapce in such a dangerous situation. She has possibly teed you off even more than myself, and for that, I think it's only fair she gets her due.” Star thought on it for a long few moments. The powder keg in his mind nearly exploded from the memories of seeing Carapce in the hospital bed and Teratorn with a cast.

“Why do you need me,” starling continued making sure to keep a neutral tone as to try and feign disinterest. His face however revealed all Albatross needed to know. Star was hooked, albeit reluctantly, now he just needed to keep him hooked.

“I can't even go near Phoenix anymore,” he began in an annoyed grumble, “but Virulent lesson never said anything about you,” Starling shivered at the smile coming from Albatross as he began his explanation. It was like one might have expected from a lion about to catch a mouse. Leaving only one question in Starling's mind… Who was the mouse? Phoenix or him? Albatross’ glee only seemed to grow as his eyes continued to study Star’s reaction.

“I see I’ve got you interested.”

“I never said that.”

“Oh please. I can see it in your eyes. You're mad and want to get back at her too after EVERYTHING she's done to you, your friends, to Carapace.” It honestly disgusted Starling somewhat to let Albatross so casually say Carapce’s name, but for the time being his attention and frustrations were being funneled at Phoniex so he let it slide.

“But you know if you just wanna skip my offer,” Albatross continued,” than fine, beat it and dont bother coming back to me.” The aggressive pitch had done as Albatross had hoped and more as Starling let out a reluctant sigh. His venomous words kept Starling still while he continued to drag him further and further down.

“Fine…” Star agreed as his eyes finally moved to meet Albatross. The dichotomy couldn't have been more clear. Star half stood slouched over and defeated with hints of anger brewing under his tired expression. In contrast, Albatross Stood tall and proudly with a grin that could have given Celestia’s sun a run for its money.

The two spent the next hour planning their collective payback. To Albatros's dismay, and Starling’s relief, Albatross had to admit they couldn't get physical otherwise Virulent Lesson would get involved and save Phoenix from her rightful punishment. So instead Albatross proposed a simple rumor here, a bit of a lie there and some casual gossip sprinkled on top; from there the rest of Wings of Care would do the work for them. They'd make sure every creature in Wings of Care was talking about her by this time next week.

Given Phoenix hardly interact with anyone and already had a reputation as a bit of an stand-offish filly, it would be easy enough… Except for Starling’s friends. They’d likely be quick to try and dismiss the rumors and stand up for Phoenix before they had time to root themselves in reality and fester. That's where Star came in. He needed to keep Them away from Phoenix until the rumors reached critical mass. In which case the rumor would be perceived as gospel and it wouldn't matter what Starling’s friends tried to do. With any luck they’d abandon Phoenix to save their own reputations or maybe even believe it themselves.

Starling didn’t exactly like having to mislead his friends, but in truth, he had already wanted them to avoid Phoenix. She had already done nothing but make their lives worse and hurt them when they just tried to help. So if Albatross’ plan worked then they might just decide to up and leave her on her own which was definitely a net positive. Despite all that he couldn't help but feel like he was making a deal with a hungry snake, fangs at the ready.
When they finally shook on it he had only hope that Phoenix was the prey.

“Glad to hear it, I'll get to work on my half of the deal today,” Albatross practically sang.

“Yea yea,” Star grumbled.

“Chin up. You're not having second thoughts already are you Stary?” Albatross teased.

“Don't ever call me that again,” Star growled; much to Albatross' chagrin.

“Sure, sure,” he promised, “may this be to: a fruitful and productive partnership.”

“It’s a mutual deal at best. Don’t act like we're friends,” Star warned.

“Oh come now, that's no way to treat your partner.” To which Star groaned in frustration as he stormed off. All while Albatross crackle madly like a vulture to himself; heading off his own way. Just like that the pieces were at play. Albatross just needed to hope Star didn't back down, having said that he already had an insurance policy if he did. All he needed to do, If Star had second thoughts, was threaten to tell his friends what Star had agreed to and that would keep him in line. For the first time in a while Things were looking up for the gryphon and he was more than delighted to finally bring that air-headed filly back down to Equestria after what she she did to him. On top of that it would also likely break up that annoying friend circle of Starling’s. Always so happy and caring to one another, it made him gag in disgust and some gryphon needed to show them that life sucked. So who better than one of their own to do that.

The last thought made his grin nearly double in sadistic delight. Two birds for one stone, it really couldn't get any better. For once, life really was looking up for the young gryphon and he was eager to keep it that way by any means.



It didn't take long for the rumors to spread like wildfire. Children both young and old loved gossip. It was the spice of life in their otherwise boring home. A white lie there a fib there and a half truth here and the dorm rooms were lit ablaze with ferrous vitreal for the white pegasus.

“I heard she likes mares,” one filly giggled

“My friend told me he saw her steal another kid's lunch.” another added

“Yea then she ruined another one’s paining!” one shrieked

“Heard her parents abandoned her because shes full of demons.”

“Really?! I guess that would explain a lot…”


“Right!”

“I heard it was her mom that was the demon.”

“Does it matter?”

“Guess not.”

The orphanage had seemed overnight to have turned into a raging inferno of rumors and half-truths. Though gossip, much like fire, was just as quick to die out without consent fuel. Fuel Albatross was happy to add to every chance he got. Each story more outlandish than the last. Each rumor more incendiary than the first. By the end of the week if words could catch things on fire, all of Clouds Dale would have been burned to smolders from his escapades and he was revealing in it.

At first Phoenix had hardly noticed. They had hardly paid much of the kids any mind, if at all, to begin with. Though anypony, even as mentally and emotionally isolated as Phoenix, could only walk into so many rooms and not notice the whispers. They were childish at first and arguably harmless so she opted to ignore them as the rumor of the day. But quickly spiraled into outright harassment with foals chasing her off if she came to close. Students frequently made sure she was last in line and to grab plenty of extra food to keep her from getting much if at all.

While at first Phoenix didn’t seem to care much when the rumors started that she had gotten a sadistic pleasure in injuring Carapace and Teratorn, was when the whole ordeal started to visibly wear down on the filly. Between the constant reminding and gaslighting of children Phoenix could feel their stomachs churn in shame. While Carapce had helped alleviate her festering feelings the constant harassment of children fed Phoniex’s doubts.

Did she really do it on purpose? She would wonder to herself as she laid in bed on another sleepless night.

All the while Starling kept his word, albeit with a little bit of ‘encouragement’ from his least favorite gryphon. Starling constantly came up with new things to do with his friends to keep them preoccupied. Like going to visit Carapace, keeping him company in the art room or even reading. Though it only worked for so long. As they were quick to notice Phoniex absence, to which Starling deflected saying she simply turned down his offers. Once they noticed the rumors however they felt the need to quickly try and step in; even with Starling’s attempts to halt their attempts.

Though at this point he knew it probably didn't matter… The rumors were a raging inferno and his friends were pales of buckets in comparison. He knew they couldn't stop it and worst case scenario they got caught in the inferno of harassment and rummors.

Part of him wanted to blame Phoniex for that. Another thing the filly would do to ruin their life. But the other part of him knew better. He may not have lit the proverbial match, but he surely didn't help smother it out. He shouldn't have helped, he knew that much, what would Carapce or the rest of his friends think if they knew? The thought ate away at him till he felt hollow inside.

He slowly slumped back against his bed frame, face in talons as he mentally lamented himself in regret. Phoenix was a pain, he was still convinced of that much, but she didnt deserves this. No creature did. Well if Phoniex and his friend's reputations and lives were about to go up in flames, he figured it was only just and right for him to follow suit for what he had done. And maybe, just maybe, if he were lucky they could maybe salvage Phoneix's time here.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long absence y'all. Three jobs and college is a real time sink :twilightsheepish:
though I'd be lying if I didn't admit my own laziness (and wanting to work on literally any of my other dozen projects) played a part in these chapter's delays. So here's to hoping two new chapters makes up for that prolonged absence
But as I've said I'm still committed to finishing this, eventually at least.
But hey if you want to hassle me to work faster my doors always open (God knows I could sue the motivation some times) Discord I also publish updates here as well so if for whatever reason you like this train wreck there you go.
Anyway,
As always thanks for reading and have a good one y'all 🍻

Comments ( 14 )

As much as I understand mental illness and the like I hate woe as me characters that do nothing to fix their sadness or cowardly behavior. I want to know how Phoenix will fair but it's been how long in story time? It's high time to clean your mind up and move on

Yeah, this is not going to end well for Phoenix.

Okay, sorry, but at this point there is no happy ending for Phoenix. The plothole 'mentor', the psychological torture... as I've said, the only outcome I see is Phoenix ending up a sociopath.

11243739 No sweat. I'm in the same boat with my story series.

Someone needs to hogtie Albatross and toss him over the side of Cloudsdale. Let him break a slew of bones then see how nobody comes to see his hateful @$$. Let him realize that he has no friends and then let him wallow in the knowledge that nobody cares and he will die alone and unloved, forgotten like a tepid fart.

11245559
Well see :twilightblush:
but thank you for the favorite by the way

11245691
No problem. Rampant spelling and grammatical errors aside, it is very poetically written.

11245940
Well thank you for bearing with my terrbile writing then.

11246518 You misunderstand. My only issue is with the grammar and spelling, the writing is poetic, VERY poetic. Believe me, if I didn't like the writing I would have Downvoted and moved on. I'm an @$$hole like that.

11246521
No I understood what you meant. I just meant sticking through thebslog that is the numerous mistakes. Though honestly I'd hardly consider it poetic. My stuffs to on the nose for me to credit it that, but nonetheless thank you for the praise.

Wait, what happened to Ch. 34?

11249220
It was removed. I wonder why...

Right, uhhh... we don't even know where to begin, initially we didn't even consider writing anything besides our usual comments, but this story was a rabbit hole we did not expect and, unfortunately, it was an extremely disappointing hole.
Part of this disappointment can certainly be attributed to ourselves as we are fairly literate(or at least consider ourselves such these days) and as such the story barely holds up to the minimum standard we have constructed.

Suppose we can begin with grammar and, more specifically, syntax.
The grammar in this story is fine, perhaps slightly below average, but reading the sentences and the words used herein feels like someone took your first unedited draft of every chapter, put those through some sort of online grammar correction tool and just went "yep, this is edited". Also, Hemlock, you seem to write many words as they sound, not as they are actually written.
It was absolutely fascinating to find sentences where every single word made sense, but taken together either the whole sentence would gain a wholly different meaning or, in worse cases, read like complete nonsense.

Then there is the plot, broadly speaking(texting), this story reads like every single other teen drama that deals with anxiety/depression/lack of friends/unhealthy(both physically and mentally) lifestyles/etc and on top of that you seem to actively try and invoke a type of Woobie trope(or some such) with the main character, putting them in situations where we just couldn't suspend our disbelief.
If it weren't for the above, we would have offered our own services as a preliminary editor of sorts, but the plot is just so bland that reading through it a second time with a(figurative) brush in one eye and a loupe in the other is not something we are willing to do.
The writing itself(especially the internal/mental scenes of the characters) is flowery, too flowery even and your poeticism often overstays its welcome, as if you are trying to desperately show how broken/troubled the main character is(or how other characters feel) but after you get going you just can't stop.

So... after all that you may be surprised to read the following, somewhat contradictory(to the above), words; keep writing.
Fluency, taken as a general notion, comes with experience, that does not mean that everyone learns from their experiences at the same speed(or that they have the same experiences in the first place), some may need weeks, others may need years to become fluent in the same thing, but the most important thing is to keep doing that thing as that can create a habit.
Habits are a lot easier to sustain than trying something for a few weeks(months) and then dropping it for a few weeks(months) and things that you constantly do help to keep(and sometimes add to) your experiences.

We hope you become a better author over time, please do not let us discourage you, Emergent Hemlock conium.

You know I got some fixes I want to give out, but this quote system is very annoying and buggy, it keeps messing things up.. Or maybe its because I selected it in the sentence.. Idk, But anyways, there is a few mismatched words, wrong capitalization, and comas that aren't there well throughout the stories, I can help you find it if you need it.. Anyways, good story, keep up the good work!:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment