• Published 14th Jun 2020
  • 4,746 Views, 306 Comments

What you Need - Hemlock conium



Sometimes what you need isn't obvious, or easy.

  • ...
22
 306
 4,746

Chapter 22: Bigger than life

Fortunately, I was on time for my next arranged meeting-thing. Meaning no creature gave me any odd looks or tried to, at least initially, start up any conversations with me. Which Allowed me to simply be, as I took a seat near the entrance of the room.

Speaking of which, the room itself was somehow more barren than the pottery room despite being only a bit bigger and having more creatures inside. As It only had two shelves, with a couple dozen books on them, and one of those childish motivation posters along the far wall. It looked more akin to a kid’s bedroom than, what I presumed was the orphanage’s equivalent of, a library. Even with the couple dozen foals who now filled it, it still felt barren. In Fact they could have comfortably fit another two shelves in here, even more if they got rid of what appeared to be the reading space.

Well that was until Teratorn finally came in. His larger figure, especially when he laid down with his wings outstretched, took up almost a fifth of the room's remaining space. I had known he was large, not just for his age but race too, however seeing him like that made me finally realize just how freakishly large he actually was. Most of the time he sat back with a notable slouch, keeping his wings tucked away and when walking he typically skulked back from the group, making an actual size comparison impossible. Even when he helped with Albatross, he stood with a hunch and wings folded in. But like this, his full intimidating size was on display. The closest I could compare his colossal size to was the barbary lion, with the wingspan of a pelican. If you’ve ever seen one of those creatures up close, then you know the kind of absurd proportions I'm talking about. To say the size was intimidating was an understatement. It was absolutely terrifying. The only thing that scared me more was the thought that he was only going to get bigger. Thankfully, I had some peace of mind from the fact that I knew this force of nature was peaceful; maybe even to a fault. While I didn't have anything to scale him to, I’d wager he was probably near eight feet long and probably around five feet in height. While his wingspan was nearly nine feet. For reference, most of his fellow gryphons around the orphanage were maybe only two thirds his body size and about half that in wingspan and most of the other creatures, ponies especially, were even smaller than that. This terrifying visage wasn't helped by the fact his upper half looked like something between a vulture and a raven, with a deep blackish purple plumage and an elongated beak with a slight hook at the end, perfect for picking flesh from bone.

For a second I wondered if the room was so barren just to accommodate his size when paired with the rest of the book club. Which seemed like a real possibility given how little space there seemed to be now. Especially after the others started to get comfortable and laid their things out. In fact, there was nowhere I could comfortably sit or lay down now. Thankfully my space next to the door was still relatively unoccupied by any creature else.

“Glad you could join us Phoenix.” Teratorn greeted, causing the other creatures to greet me with a mixed reaction. Most of whom gave a pleasant and inviting smile while the rest shot me glares and glances of disapproval. As if I was some heathen violating their holy space. Though in some ways, maybe that disdain was mutual. It's not like it was my choice to be here or to be cowed up next to them all. Then again I guess it isn’t their fault either… I reminded myself.

“Uh, hey.” I greeted back; shrugging off the looks of the other members, whether they be good or bad.

“You actually joined our club at a really advantageous time. We’re about to start our new book today. Well tomorrow actually, today is just the pre read discussion,” he beamed before his face contorted into one of contemplation while a frown formed across his beak, “That does leave us with a new predicament however now that I'm thinking about it.“

“That being?” I inquired, hoping that maybe I wouldn't have to participate. Not that I dislike reading, quite the contrary actually. It was just my interest in books were very hit or miss, that combined with the fact I’d rather not be stuffed in a room full of foals, left me on airing the side of hesitation.

“We lack enough copies, and Mr.Lesson already went out and bought the amount of books I specified. Hmm…” Tertorne stopped for a moment as his talon taped the base of his beak before opening it up again to say, “Oh well, you can borrow my print. I typically read a few chapters ahead between group discussions anyway.”

“There really is no need, I’ll be fine,” I assured; still reluctant to read a children's book especially with a bunch of foals. Though at the same time, given Tertorne’s vocabulary and choice of books there was a chance the book wasn't what I had thought it would be, but I doubted that. Especially given the average child around here's reasoning skills.

“Oh there's no need to be concerned Phoenix,” He insisted, “It’s really no sweat off my back. I'm sure you’ll be gripped from cover to end! In fact, it’s so good that It’s the first time in club history we had a unanimous vote for a book.” While I’m sure that was meant to excite me, it didn't. Mostly given to the fact that I had no context of this group’s reading ability and preference in reading materials. It did however peek a small amount of curiosity inside me. So I took the bait.

“And what book may that be?”

“Veil of Shadows!” He proclaimed. That sounds like some DnD nonsense I internally remarked.

“What exactly is that?”

“A tragedy about a unicorn's descent into the dark arts to try and save the mare he loved. Which ultimately results in the total destruction of everything he cherished.”

“Isn't that a bit… Dark, for a foal’s book?” To which Teratorn gave a shrug.

“It does dip into the horror genre a bit I suppose, but overall it's just more so dramatic like any good tragedy. It's also an epochal tale cautioning readers to resist one's darker impulses and come to accept things as they happen through deep and real introspection rather than try and fight or ignore it.” I gave the gryphon a sideways glance of skepticism, at least for the bits of that analysis I did understand.

“I just like fiction,” another foal chimed in, which sounded more in line with what I expected. Though to be fair, this was Teratorn I was talking about, not like he was exactly your average kid mentality or physically. Which caused me to wonder if whatever he had, accelerated his mental state just as much as his physical.

“Ahem, well that was the reason for my vote anyway…” Tertorn explained as he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head with an embarrassed grin. The look forced a slight chuckle out of me, as the timid look just stood in such sharp contrast to his otherwise physically intimidating demeanor. It gave him an impression of something more akin to a goofy looking, mastiff than a fearsome, apex, predator of the sky. In the end though, I’m not entirely sure why that of all things got a smile out of me. But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, as it was a nice moment of reprieve nonetheless. The brief outburst did however cause Teratorn to nervously shoot me a questioning look as if to ask if he had done something wrong.

“Phoenix are you feeling, um, well?” He questioned with a palpable level of concern.

“I’m fine,” I assured with a shake of my head and a wave of my hoof as I took a moment to compose myself.


The rest of the group meeting had gone without further incident. Teratorn also finally convened Phoenix, albeit begrudgingly, to read the book. At least part of it anyway. Resulting in Teratorn having the club start pre reading discussions without them while he explained to Phoenix the clubs basis rules and regulations. Without Teratorn however the discussion quickly drifted off course, forcing the gryphon to split his attention between the two. Which ultimately resulted in a lackluster meeting and, in his mind, a poor first impression to the club. Though he still insisted to Phoenix, to not let this deter them from the wonders of book club. As the meeting came to an end Phoenix saw her way out, as a few of the foals pulled Teratorn to the side.

“We don’t really have to let her in do we,” a filly whined.

“We do actually, Mr. Virulent Lesson said so.” His answer caused the small group to give a groan of protest.

“Well couldn't you like, ask him to remove her or something?” another pleaded.


“May I ask what the issue with Phoenix is?”

“SHE THINKS SHE'S BETTER THAN EVERYCREATURE ELSE.” a colt bemoaned.

“And it's kinda annoying,” another added.

“I get she isn't the most sociable pony-” Teratorn began before being promptly cut off.

“Try, not social at all! It's like she saw Princess Twilight’s lesson and spat and stomped all over them; then had a party when she buried them,” the same colt huffed. Teratorn nervously looked over the agitated swarm of foals; worried they’d mob him, or worse leave the club, if he didn’t give the answer they wanted. At the same time however he promised Carapace and Ribbon he’d help and Virulent lesson explicitly told him he was to help. But It wasn’t like upset members were wrong, the filly did have a tendency to give every creature she met the cold shoulder and he understood how that could get under their skins. Though he wasn’t sure where the superiority issue came from, so choosing his next sentence carefully he decided to ask. Hoping he may be able to defuse some of their frustration.

“What does she do that makes you feel inferior?”

“She acts like we're just a bunch of annoying foals,” a filly whined; looking as if she were on the verge of tears, “I-Im not annoying though. Am I?” her voice trembled a bit with the last bit as she struggled to maintain her composure. To which one of the other foals gave her a comforting hug.

Teratorn uneasily shifted from side to side as he retreated back into his normal defensive slouched position, which was more akin to something like a cowering dog. His upper chest lowered just enough to cover his more vulnerable underside and his legs crouching down just a bit to make himself both look smaller and be ready to spring away at a moment's notice. He felt as though he was treading on thin ice with their request and worse yet he couldn’t just give them what they wanted like usual but he had to do something. He was the club's founder and president after all.

“I’ll do what I can,” he vaguely assured. Hoping the promises would at least alleviate some of their frustration. Thankfully, it did and soon after the group made their way out. Teratorn sat down and let out a relieved sigh to have avoided that bullet, at least for now. In the meantime he needed to figure out a solution to his seemingly impossible dilemma. After taking a moment to gain his composure he saw his way out.


Maybe If I could somehow convince Phoenix to roll it back a bit? he thought to himself as he wandered the halls on his way back to his bed.

His head hung low with all the weight of his situation; forcing him to stare at the floor. That was till he unfortunately bumped into Phoenix, much earlier than he would have liked. He knew he shouldn't have been shocked though. They did share the same dorm room along with Starling. But that didn't stop his head from shooting up in surprise nonetheless all while his mind skid to a halt. He tried to figure out what to say to the gloomy filly, unfortunately everything that came to mind was just blank.

“I- uh oh hey Phoenix! Listen I just wanted to ask something, if you don't mind.” He winced as he brought up asking a question, something he knew the filly hated, but he had to force himself to say something and bite the bullet before he chickened out all together. Phoenix rubbed her head a bit and with a reluctant sigh of disapproval answered.

“Ask away…”

“R-really?”

“Creatures have been pressing me all day and honestly I’m too tired now to try and argue. So the faster you ask the faster we can move on, yea?” Teratorn blinked a bit at the filly’s compliance. He wondered for a second if Mr.Virulent Lesson’s plan was actually working out before shaking his head. Focus, he scowled himself before taking a long shaky breath.

“It's more of a request actually, now that I think about it. I was wondering, if maybe you could,” his body started to tense back a bit afraid how the filly would react to what he asked next, “act a bit more….chipper?” Phoenix gave him a look that he couldn't quite discern but it definitely had negative feelings about it.

“I mean just for the book club members at least? Some of them just… Feel like you hate them and it's upsetting them. “

“So what? You want me to go around hugging them?”

“N-nothing like that,” he assured in a panicked tone, “I just mean, maybe, not looking like you'd rather be anywhere else but there?” The filly mewled over the comment for a long few moments, not giving any physical indication of how she'd answer.

“Please! they’ll leave otherwise,” Teratorn quickly added, “for me?”

“Fine,” the pony curtly answered, causing the weight on Teratorn's body to immediately evaporate.

”You will?”

“I’m not heartless, and the club clearly means a lot to you. Plus I’m being forced to go anyway…” she grumbled, ”So I’ll TRY and not upset the other foals.” It wasn't a promise but he knew it was the closest he'd get. Now he just had to convince the other foals to give her one more chance.

“Thank you, It means a lot to me Phoenix!“

“Yea yea,” the filly grumpily replied as she rubbed her head.

“You know Phoenix, despite it all and even with what may have happened to you, you're a good filly at heart. Even if it's sometimes hard to see that past the gloom.” he light heartedly joked.

“Save it, I don’t like platitudes. Plus I only ended up here because of my own mistakes.”

“Hu? What do you mean?”

“I mean I only ended up here because I made a terrible choice.”

“I don’t quite follow, could you maybe elaborate?” The filly leaned back her head a bit in annoyance, seemingly more so with herself than him.

“Sorry, you don't have to answer that,” he quickly retracted.

“No, I already opened my stupid trap might as well finish it. The best way to put it is…” The filly stopped with a sigh as her eyes glanced to the window as if looking for an answer. But after a long few minutes of awkward silence she came up with nothing.

“sorry…”

“It’s okay. You don't need to finish that. Sorry for pushing you about it.” Phoenix gave a grateful nod as she continued to glance out the window. Though despite her response she didn't quite feel fully there as if her mind were somewhere else.

“You know though, you shouldn't blame yourself. Sometimes life just happens and the correct choices aren't always so clear. I mean when I arrived at Wings of Care all I did was blame myself.” The comment caused Phoenix to slowly turn her head back to the gryphon with a curious expression.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, I guess we never really talked before, so you wouldn’t know why I’m here. “

“No I don't,” she confirmed.

“Well it's not really a secret but I suffer from gigantism. In layman's terms It's a rare disorder in which my body doesn't know when to stop growing. So as a result I’m just kinda always getting bigger.”

“Okay, but how's that your fault,” Phoenix interrupted.

“Because that is just the context for what caused me to get sent here,” Teratorn explained,” Due to it I’ve always been a bigger kid as you can imagine. Like a lot bigger. So much so that by my fifth birthday I was double the size of my older brother, who was only hatched a week sooner mind you. Speaking of my birthday, it was my fifth birthday when I crushed him…” he paused to look over at the terrified gaze of Phoenix, it was about the same look every creature gave him when he said that. It was a look he hated, it reminded him of how he felt when he learned just what he did to his brother. A gigantic monster. Too big and stupid too control himself. He let out a long sigh as he took a second to quash the thoughts and continue,

“Before you get the wrong idea, I-I didn't kill him but I did permanently paralyze him from the neck down. We were just playing around but I was too young and stupid to understand my parents warnings to play gentle. So when I tackled him, there was a loud crunch. The next thing I knew, there was a howl of pain as my parents swiftly yanked me off and put me to the side so they looked him over. After that events become a bit of a blur, but at some point my parents knew they couldn’t raise something like me and they couldn't afford magic treatment to fix me either. Especially with my brother's new medical bills... So they made the logical choice and handed me over to the state. The next thing I knew I was crying myself to bed in this place.”

“I’m sorry,” Phoenix began before Teratorn dismissed her sympathy with a wave of his claw.

“It’s alright Carapace, Starling, Red Ribbon and Zeal have already helped me overcome all that.”

“It doesn't sound like you’ve moved on.”

“I guess you’re right, I haven't, not entirely anyway,” he admitted, ”But I have learned to remind myself that it was an accident and that despite it all, there's three creatures at my back who will always support me. That no matter how grey the skies may get I can entrust them to help me weather through the toughest storm.”

“Sounds like you found yourself quite the lucky find.” The reply garnered a chuckle from the gryphon causing him to give an amused nod of agreement.

“Indeed I have found myself quite the treasure. Though, I’m not opposed to making that hoard a bit bigger. But that requires mutual trust and dependence.”

Author's Note:

In case you're not in the know on the animals I use for sizes comparison, and were planning to look them up, let me save you the time.
Barbary lion approximately 7-9 feet long (2.35 to 2.8 m)
(American) Pelican average wingspan for males being about 10ft (3m)
Crazy thing is there were apparently prehistoric cats (here) that got bigger than that. And! there's still birds with wingspans that bigger than this. Namely one like the Albatross, and bigger still, yes they get bigger if you can even fathom that, is the prehistoric Argentavis which is currently speculated to have had up to a whopping 21ft(6.5m) wing span. (for reference a ford f150 is only about 19 feet or 5.8m long), this titan of a bird also belongs to the same family of bird in which Teratorn gets his name from (Teratornithidae)
Also here, for a more in-depth recap, than my gross oversimplification, of Gigantism

Anyway, I say all this because during my development of Teratorn these were some of the amazing creatures I looked into, so I thought I'd share/ help give perspective if my words didn't cut it.

(Also side fun fact I made this the longest chapter partly bc I figured it fitting the chapter about the biggest character got the biggest chapter. That and I just had a lot to cover.)

And as always thanks for reading and have a good one y'all!🍻