• Published 14th Jun 2020
  • 4,749 Views, 306 Comments

What you Need - Hemlock conium



Sometimes what you need isn't obvious, or easy.

  • ...
22
 306
 4,749

Chapter 15: In the shadow of a titan

The rest of their meal was largely the same. Zeal and Tertorn teasing one another acting like typical children. Ribbon, or 'Red Ribbon' as I’d come to learn her full name was, got more frustrated. Carapace sank further back in her seat in embarrassment. While Starling, or just Star as he preferred, watched in general disapproval.

Band of misfits as Starling had called their group seemed inaccurate. They seemed mostly typical, albeit a bit more hyper in Zeal’s case, children. Brash, moody, loud and obnoxious. Though I suppose that wasn't quite right either. Carapace and Teratorn seemed to be a cut above the others in terms of intelligence, and physicality in Tertorn’s case. Then Starling seemed more like a moody teen than a child. Maybe a band of odd balls might have been better.

“Well Phoenix, are you going to tell us or not?” Zeal asked; snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Tell you what?” My reply only garnered a collective and frustrated groan.

“Trying to talk to you is like talking to a brick wall,” he complained.

“No need to be rude,” Carapace chided, “She's just not comfortable around us all yet,” she continued in my defense.

“Well, maybe if she opened up more,” Zeal countered. The comment made my skin crawl like dozens of little worms were slinking across just under my skin, bubbling up before burying themselves back deeper. My discomfort seemed to cause Carapace to cringe as well, but as she began to speak up I waved her down with my hoof. I may not have liked talking to these creatures, but I didn't want some creature speaking in my stead either.

“I have no real interest in talking about myself if it's all the same with you,” I explained. Not as if there was a point. I’d just be labeled a liar or crazy. Plus, if word got out, it would probably mean I’d have to talk with Dr. Mirage again. Which was something I absolutely did not want to do.

“Rude,” Zeal remarked, “but understandable I guess…”

“Well...” Red Ribbon interjected before falling quite in defeat. In truth they all seemed stumped on how to proceed after my rebuttal. For several minutes we all sat in awkward silence as they shaded confused glances; looking to one another for ideas. It wouldn't be till Teratorn
finally spoke that the group seemed to gain their bearings back.

“Do you like to read?”

“Oh! Oh! Which wonderbolt do you think is the cutest?!” Ribbon excitedly added.

“What's your favorite food-” Zeal began before giving his twin a perplexed look of bewilderment.

“What?”

“Uhh what?” Zeal parroted in a mocking tone, “They’re A. out of your league. B. the youngest member is six years older than you.”

“A mare can dream!”

“Mare? You’re barely old enough to be left in the kiddy pool without supervision.”

“I'm eight!”

“And they're mostly in their early twenties.”

“Ugh whatever! You wouldn’t get it!”

“Can we just let Phoenix answer?” Starling interrupted. To which the two nodded; causing their eyes to fall on me once more.

Great… I thought as I kicked my hoof. Maybe I could make up a book? Or say I don't read… That would probably work.

“I don't read Teratorn. Sorry.” He seemed disappointed if not a little heart broke at the answer.

“Well what about the wonderbolts?!” Red Ribbon practically squealed in fangirl glee.

“I don’t know much about them,” I admitted. Which at least this time was true. Sure, I knew them from the show, but I had no idea when I was nor how their actual going ons worked or if it might have differed from the show's presentation of the group. In fact that issue carried over to just about everything here. Despite the fact I’d been in Equestria for a while now, I still knew next to nothing about the world.

W H A T?!” Ribbons jaw nearly unhinged in utter disbelief. In fact she looked like she'd gone into shock or she had a stroke. The closest thing I could think of to describe the ungodly sight was like a monster in a classic horror film. In truth I wasn't sure if I was terrified or impressed by the sight. Though I would guess the former, given my body cringed while I rubbed my now aching ear.

“Quiet down a bit will ya,” Zeal commanded as he looked around at all the odd looks we were now getting

“Sorry, sorry… But really? Any pegasus worth their salt knows about them!”

“Okay I know who they are, I just don't keep up with them at all.” That seemed to be the wrong answer however. As she seemed more shocked by my indifference for the group than my ignorance. At this rate I was worried I might give the poor girl a heart attack; needless to say, I felt like I was treading thin ice.

“I can get living under a rock, but to know and not care? I don’t believe it.”

“Not everyone lives in your bubble,” Zeal pointed out. The comment quickly caused the two to break into their normal squabbles, which thankfully took everyone's eyes off me as they tried to diffuse the situation.

Well when life gives you lemons. With everyone distracted I took my opportunity to slip away and out of the dining room, with an apple in my muzzle.

At least I won't be hungry.[\i] As I bit down into the apple however, a familiar voice called out to me. My body instinctively flinched as It tried to quicken its stride. Unfortunately, Carapace was faster than she looked and within seconds she was upon me.

“Hey, b-before you go… I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I didn’t think it would go like that.”

Well how did you think it would go? I bitterly retorted in my head, though my words were much different.

“It's whatever.” Though I got the feeling she could still sense the tinge of bitterness tucked away in my heart. The last thing I wanted was to hang around with them, or any of these creatures for that matter.

How ironic, I decried, You’re in the land of your childhood show and the last thing you want to do is spend time here. Then again, what else is new...

“Phoenix, are you listening?” Her tone carried a heavy weight of worry and grief with it. I was, in part listening, though I didn't really care. So in that sense I guess I wasn’t.

“Yea, yea. I just want to be alone” and anywhere but here

“Well again sorry I-” she seemed choked up a bit as if she were heart broken.

“I just thought...and maybe if...” Her head hung low for a few moments before she spoke up again, “Guess I’m just making this awkward.” she let out a nervous, hollow chuckle. Her eyes scanned the floor, as if what to say might be lurking just at our hooves, but before she could get another word in we found ourselves bumping into a familiar gryphon.

“Oh! It’s little too good to talk to me and Miss. do goodie,” He he spat.

“Shut up Albatross…” Carapace grumbled.

“What's wrong? You seem to be missing your usual back bone. Then again you are a bug so not like you had one to begin with. Instead you have to borrow it from your friends. But it seems you don't have any right now. I should smack you for being such a goodie goodie and getting me in trouble. But I'm not here for you. I'm here for the mute so scram, or you'll go down with her.“ I gave an annoyed glance In Albatross’ general direction before trying to shuffle past him. I had no interest in his big talk. After all, Virulent Lesson already said he was aware of the situation, so I’m sure the brats on thin ice. So he's either smart and wont do anything beyond big talk, or he’s as dumb as he looks, acts rash and probably gets even worse consequences. Wonder if Virulent Lesson is the kind to throw out bad kids… Probably not, unfortunately.

Though as I made my way past him I felt his claw land square on my shoulder before quickly spinning me around. The next thing I knew there was a loud cry of terror from Carapace as my face became buried in a thick wall of flesh and feathers.

“Oh no you don't! You’ve made a joke of me once too many times already you little weirdo.”

Great, so it's the latter then… My body to instinctively flinch for a second beating. The beating never came however. Instead my ears were treated to a surprised and frustrated grunt from Albatross as a shadow descended over us. I slowly looked up from the wall of feathers to see Teratorn, firmly holding Albatross in place. I blinked a bit in surprise at the sight. Albatross’ body trembled violently as it tried to break free, while Teratorn towered over both of us as firm as a mountain.

“Don’t you have some creature to annoy?”

“Screw off Teratorn, this doesn't concern you,” Albatross spat.

“Unfortunately, it does now. Now scram.” Teratorn’s voice held with it an underlining seriousness that sent chills down my spine.

“Gha! Fine, you oversized rat.” Then just like that, the situation was over. Albatross turned tail, trying to hold onto whatever dignity he had left. Once he was finally gone, Teratorn let out a relieved sigh as he deflated a bit.

“Glad that's over…You two okay? He didn't scare you too much did he?”

“Yea, we’re fine. Thanks, Teratrone. Sorry you had to get involved.”

“Don’t think too much about it. I’m Just happy we didn’t have to fight.” I gave him a curious glance at the comment. On size alone, Teratorn could have wiped the floor with him without breaking a sweat. So why does he seem so reluctant? Once he noticed my look he sheepishly looked away; rubbing the back of his head. “Well I, uhh... I don't really...” His voice trailed off before finally seeming to find the courage to finish the statement, “...know how to fight. Fighting has always made me skittish If I'm honest.” Could have fooled me with that display of bravado

“I mean, conflict never really solves anything. Thankfully my size makes most creatures think otherwise,” he added

“It would make Albatross leave Phoenix alone.”

“That doesn't sound right,” Teratorn argued, though he couldn't seem to quite put his talon on why it didn't.

“Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter, he's gone now. Anyway, thank you again Teratorn.” Carapace seemed genuinely grateful and even happy her friend had come to help, and yet, her voice carried the sound of remorse.

“So why’d you follow us? Weren't you all still eating?”

“We finished, and actually I wasn't even looking for you two. I was actually going back to my bed to read a bit, which is when I ran into you two.” The two delved into a further chit chat about something, that I can't recall, as my mind began to wander away from my body once more.

Author's Note:

You all can thank Boopy Doopy that any of these chapters get done. As such let me say this, if you've somehow read this but not Boopy Doopy 's Mind over Matter do you're self a favor and do it. Especially with the newest chapter Just One Moment . Its a good read and more of the same if you like human turned foal in Equestria stuff.


As always thank you for reading, and have a good one y'all🍻