• Published 14th Jun 2020
  • 4,749 Views, 306 Comments

What you Need - Hemlock conium



Sometimes what you need isn't obvious, or easy.

  • ...
22
 306
 4,749

Chapter 25: Broken chains

I don’t quite remember how I ended up outside today. I suppose I must have blanked out again because one moment I was laying on my bed. The next I was on the edge of the orphanage’s cloud layer; next Carapace who was nudging me to step off. ‘Take that leap of faith’ as it were. Which was easier said than done given the vast emptiness in front of me, nothing to catch me if I fell… But she both insisted and assured me I would be fine. So, with a deep breath, I moved my right forehoof over the edge.

Nothing below it now but open air.

I could feel the weight in my body subtly shift as I put my hoof further and further over the edge; gravity’s pull trying to tug me out and over all together. My mind spun in panic as my body screamed danger. But deep in my core there was something else. If I tuned out my nerves and really felt for it, I could feel something else swelling up inside my chest. The danger, the freedom, the clear skies made my heart race not in fear, but in anticipated...

Excitement!

My heart pounded against my chest, as if to break free from the cage of my body and escape out into the open skies. It yearned for the open, clear air in front of it. It yearned to feel gravity powerlessly try and bring it down. It yearned to take flight. It wanted so desperately to answer that freedom I never could have had on Earth.

Suddenly I found my body leaning over the edge on its own accord; forcing me forward until gravity forced me to fully take the plunge out into the open air. My mind panicked as my heart cheered. Adrenaline, fear, excitement raced through my body. All competing for control of my mind. But they agreed on one thing. One action. So I clenched my eyes in horror as a nervous grin took over my muzzle and let my wings unfurl. Suddenly the scream of the icy air stopped as my body jolted into a sudden halt. Wind pounding into my wings; keeping me aloft as my magic kept me cruising at a steady altitude.

I slowly opened my eyes to see my body soaring through the air. Though maybe gliding was more apt. Gliding high above the ground below. It was nothing but myself and open air. It took all my willpower to not let a child-like cheer escape my muzzle as I watched the frozen, winter wonderland, below pass me by. It was better than I’d ever dreamt. The sight was something truly behold.

My mind slowly began clicking things into position as the fear full wore off and I could thing clearly again.
I was actually living out...

My Love.

My passion.

My dream.

To fly.

To soar.

To go higher.

It was emancipation.

It was liberation.

It was freedom.


Freedom from the restraints and problems of life. It was only now I fully came to grasp just how much I yearned for this. Yearned to fly. Yearned To do something I never could have on Earth.
Though thinking these words now I‘m not sure any are even close to the right ones. And I'm not even sure there was a word in all the world's languages that correctly described what I felt.

My body wanted this. My heart craved this. My soul needed this. Even amidst the fear it felt more natural than breathing. It felt better than anything I’d ever known. The thoughts and doubts of my mind faded away as I took on the open sky.

Though as I circled through the air I became keenly aware of another force aiding me. It was a gentle wind coming from the orphanage’s cloud layer behind me. The winds rushed under my wings; pushing me up and raising me higher and higher. Higher than I could dream of. For a few brief moments it was wonderful. For just a few brief minutes it was nothing but me, and the wind which carried me. Its gentle breeze brushed through my fur like a friendly, reaffirming rub on the back. As if to say ‘This is it.’