• Published 4th Dec 2019
  • 4,586 Views, 46 Comments

Goodbye My Child - SamSwordsman123



Twilight Sparkle says goodbye to her daughter

  • ...
11
 46
 4,586

A Mother's Goodbye

Goodbye My Child

Twilight Sparkle lay on her deathbed, something that should have happened a long, long time ago if not for the far greater lifespan of 5000 years she had received from becoming an Alicorn. But she did not regret living so long. Because she’d had somepony very special to her by her side.

“Mommy?” a soft voice asked.

Twilight had not been called that in millennia by her daughter. She looked over at her, saw the black alicorn with the dragon like eyes. When she looked at Nyx, Twilight could still see the small filly she had found trapped in a thorn bush so many lifetimes ago. The filly that had been created from a ritual using Twilight’s own blood. This in a way that made them biologically related. Nyx had been created to bring back Nightmare Moon, the first enemy of Equestria Twilight had ever faced with her very best friends in her youth. Those five ponies who were now little more than treasured memories to both her and Nyx as well as legends to the rest of Equestria.

Nyx had usually just called her mother by her first name. But after a few years she began calling Twilight “Mom” practically all the time. But never “Mommy” in the way a small child would. The first time she’d called Twilight "Mommy" was when she was desperate and being taken away by somepony. That somepony was Princess Celestia, Twilight’s late mentor and the previous ruler of Equestria who passed away nearly two millennia ago when even her own alicorn life prolonging magic could no longer sustain her.

“Nyx, sweetie. It's okay,” Twilight said, reaching out. “Death comes for all of us sooner or later. It sure took a long time to get close to me.”

Nyx Sparkle, the no longer new Princess of the Night who had taken over the duties of Princess Luna, took her mother's hoof with teary eyes. “I’m going to miss you. Just like I miss everypony else!” Nyx sobbed.

“It won’t be for long, Nyx. I’m not that much older than you,” Twilight reminded her.

The turquoise eyes looked into the violet ones for a moment.

“When you go, please tell all the others I still think about them!” Nyx requested as tears flooded her cheeks. “Not a day goes by I don’t think about all our old friends!”

Twilight nodded. Both of them had made many friends throughout their long alicorn lifetimes. But the first ones were always closest in their minds. The ones who’d first taught them friendship. For Twilight there had been five other ponies, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy. Nyx had started with three best friends, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle.

“We’ll soon be reunited with all of them. At last,” Twilight said. “Goodbye is not forever. I’m just glad that I had you by my side all this time. I’m proud to have been the Princess of Friendship, but I’m also proud to have been a mother to a wonderful alicorn like you. I don’t care that you didn’t grow inside my womb. You are the best daughter a mother could ever ask for. If I didn’t have you in my life, I probably would have tried to find some way to get rid of this magic keeping me here.”

“I’ve wanted that too. It’s just not fair to have to watch so many friends leave!” Nyx said. “Now that you’re going… I don’t know if I can-“

“Shh… shh…” Twilight shushed. “Nyx, I want you to promise me that you will stay strong. It’s only for a little longer. Our friends have lived on in our hearts for all this time, and I will live on in yours just as you would live in mine. But I probably couldn’t stand the thought of burying you. No parent should outlive their child. It was hard enough to bury Spike after he fell in battle. I could never have endured it if I’d lost you too.”

Nyx sobbed. “Okay… I’ll hold on until my time comes as well. I love you, Mommy. Please, tell everypony I said I love them, and I think of them each day. I treasure them always in my heart.”

“I will, Nyx,” Twilight said. “I can’t imagine what my life would have been like without you. I’m sure it would have been good, but if I didn’t have you, I would never have been able to endure all these years. Outliving all my friends was tough, but at least I had a wonderful daughter to rule by my side and share my life with.”

Nyx gently pulled her mother into a hug. Memories flowed into Twilight of times long past. When she arrived in Ponyville at the beginning of her journey, met her five best friends. The party Pinkie threw in the Golden Oaks Library (which Twilight had disliked), Nightmare Moon interrupting the Summer Sun Celebration. Twilight unlocking the element of magic once she finally let the spark of friendship into her heart and unleashing the Rainbow blast which turned Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna.

She thought of the good times she’d had with her friends in Ponyville, laughing and enjoying each other’s company. Rarity making them dresses for the gala, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash switching her ink with invisible ink as a prank, working hard on the farm with Applejack. They had good times as well as scary ones, such as when they’d faced the villains of Equestria such as Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, Lord Tirek, and Cozy Glow. Her friends who were there for her when she was in danger. They came and saved Nyx and her when they were at the Storm King’s mercy. Twilight remembered the day they all had to go their separate ways. When she and Nyx left Ponyville to assume their places as the new rulers of Equestria once Celestia and Luna retired. Twilight was embraced by all her friends, while Nyx was embraced by the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Twilight also thought of Spike, who had been her number one assistant and like a son to her. Along with Nyx, he’d stayed by her for longer than any of her pony friends. But his time came prematurely when he’d faced an evil dragon in battle.

But lastly, her memories turned to Nyx. Her daughter who had been born from her blood and the magic of Spell Nexus, the unicorn who’d tried to bring back Nightmare Moon. She’d found Nyx as a filly in a thorn bush, grown to care for her like her own daughter, and gone through great measures to get her back when Nexus turned her into the full Nightmare Moon. They’d had a very dramatic Hearth’s Warming Eve where Twilight’s brother Shining Armor was convinced Nyx was up to no good and still evil. A certain reporter didn’t help as he tried to make a story on Nyx and expose her as Nightmare Moon. That cold night when Nyx was cold and snuggled into Twilight for warmth.

Twilight took a last look at her daughter. The beautiful black coat and purple mane, as well as the silver tiara with a sapphire encrusted in the center. A matching necklace was around Nyx's neck as well, and she had silver shoes. On her flank was the cutie mark of a blue shield with a crescent moon on it, a sign that it was her destiny to protect ponies. She had done that well over the past four thousand years, both in the physical world as well as the dream world.

Twilight’s eyes then closed. A white light appeared in her vision as her life finally ended. Then from the light emerged a crowd of thousands upon thousands of ponies and other creatures.

“Twilight!” A familiar voice rang through the ether.

Twilight was tackled to the ground by a pink pony she knew all too well.

“Pinkie Pie! Oh, I missed you so much!” Twilight said with a sniffle as she wrapped her hooves around the first of the friends she’d met in Ponyville long ago.

“We missed you too, Darling.”

Twilight looked and saw her other four best friends gathering around her. Tears filled the eyes of Twilight’s spiritual form which she noticed was the same size as her friends.

“You look just like ya did when we first met,” Applejack said.

“Hey Twilight!” Spike said.

“I’m so glad to be with all of you again!” Twilight said. “Nyx says hi!”

Ahead of her, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo suddenly appeared wearing smiles. “She was a wonderful friend. We’ll be glad to have her here when she comes.”

...

Nyx walked among the gardens of Canterlot, watching the night sky which was now her rightful domain. She knew her mother was looking down on her with all their friends. Soon she would be with them, but for now she would have to be content with having them watch her from above. Each of those stars were now like one of her friends. Suddenly she caught a glimpse of a shooting star and smiled weakly. It was her mother, she was sure of it.

“One day soon, I will be with all of you too. You will always be in my heart until then. I know you are with me wherever I go.”

Author's Note:

Even though I hate the idea of Twilight outliving all her friends. I decided I needed to let go of my hate for that scenario if I was to be at peace. Then I reread a bit of Past Sins, and I love Nyx. So I decided that to create an instance where I could be at peace with. Twilight has her daughter by her side for all those millennia.

It is debated whether Alicorns are full immortal or simply live for thousands of years, so I picked the latter for my story. I of course am against immortality and view it as an abomination, but longer lifespan I could probably live with. Even immortals can't live forever, something can always happen.

Well I hope you enjoy this. It brought me some much needed peace.

Comments ( 46 )

Great job Sam. And Twilight's right, death will claim us sooner or later.

I'm quite moved by it. I mean 5 millennia is a long time, Canterlot would have been a metropolis by then.

9974214
Thanks. I hope you'll checkout my other stories as well.

9974216
Sure thing, Sam!

9974095
And it marks the end of one journey and the start of another.

A very touching story. It almost reminds me of one of mine. Like my father always says, "No one gets out alive. We all have to cross that bridge one day."

Mort: "Well, living a millennium and watching the death of your loved ones is a difficult fate, but it's nothing compared to the endless life of a reaper and guide of souls."

9974561
Yes, that is why we need to accept death. What's the one you made? I might like it.

9974624
The Last Healing Dragon. It's here on Fimfiction. It's not completely like your story, but it does involve sorrow from "immortality/long life" in places. You'd have to read it to understand. I'll send you a link when my computer is done updating. I'm currently messaging you on my phone. :twilightsheepish:

9974894
I just put it in my read later list. You might like my other story Passing On Together if you like emotional stories. It's a bit disliked due to its anti immortality stance I guess but you might like it.

This was a wonderful story, you did a great job on it!

True, rpretty much all immortals in media are the "can't die of natural causes" kind

9974582
I always liked Neil Gaiman's Death better.

"Was that it? One month?"

"Yup. Them's the brakes kiddo."
..................

"I'm dead... Hey, a few thousand years. That's a pretty good run, right?"

"You got the same deal as anyone else. One life."

9975546
Correct if I'm wrong if you meant the DC Comics character?
P.S. Very few artistic works showing events in terms of ripper, moreover they are mostly depicted as anthogonists.
P.P.S. sorry for my English
P.P.P.S. I personally most like Death from the game "peace death" :)

9976150
Vertigo actually. Though I suppose it does take place in the DC verse. so...

9981924
Yeah. Nyx was a loveable character. I wanted to give her a goodbye as well.

9981926
I guess? I haven’t read the story in a while so I don’t really remember her character. I got into the fandom just a few years ago so I don’t have much nostalgia for her either.

9981934
Yeah I've only been a fan for less than two years myself. Glad you enjoyed this story though.

Good read, but now I am in a melancolic mood 😂

“Shh… shh…” Twilight shushed. “Nyx, I want you to promise me that you will stay strong. It’s only for a little longer. Our friends have lived on in our hearts for all this time, and I will live on in yours just as you would live in mine. But I probably couldn’t bear the thought of burying you. No parent should outlive their child. It was hard enough to bury Spike after he fell in battle. I could never have endured it if I’d lost you too.”

:applecry::raritycry::fluttercry::fluttershbad::heart:.

Wonderful one shot:pinkiesad2:.

Do you know where I can get a heart transplant for a buck? I just had mine die from the feels, and I kind of need it?

10006285
Sorry, just have to wait.

Very nice concept, especially the tiny detail of Twilight regaining her smaller form once reunited with her friends makes for a really nice touch :twilightsmile: The execution might have been better at times though, as some missing words, runaway grammar errors or the dump of exposition broke me out of the atmosphere quite often.

And I have to agree with you that the addition of Nyx would make Twilight’s predicament just a bit more bearable. (To be honest, I found my peace by abandoning the show sometime after the movie. Spared me a lot of controversial drama and such.)

10012094
Glad you liked it. I started watching the show in 2018 after the movie came out.

Please make a sequel for this where Nyx joins her mother and her friends.

10018860
I have thought about that. Might come out in a couple weeks now that you requested it. We'll see.

This moved me to tears.

10098063
Why thank you. I might be doing something similar to it in the canon version. Though my main version is a story where she gives up her immortality to pass with her friends. Hope you'll check that one out as well. Its kind of a topic of debate whether alicorns are immortal or just long lived, and we don't know if its really being an alicorn that makes them that way. But ah well.

10098068

I did read the next story, and it was also deeply emotional.

10098071
So I noticed. Glad you like them. I will hopefully be getting the next chapter of my Daybreaker story done tomorrow along with an expansion of the second chapter.

Oh man that's sad but I guess that's life but it hurts knowing to that your time is coming up and again as I said before there is a theory that if they transferred their Alicorn Magic to another alicorn they will lose the ability to live longer at least that's just a theory I don't know how it works but it's something like that but poor nyx she has to wait for another centuries then someday they can meet each other again nice job on it

Once again it is like the song from the other story I read kinda reminds me of

Just wonderful, this is. Yes, death comes for all of us. Whyinhell did I manage to dodge the bullet TWICE in the past 30 months? Wish I could answer that.

10565271
Yes it will come for someday, that's why we need to accept it. Sometimes the pain of life is just not worth living forever huh? I know that feeling.

10565301
I'm just wondering how I managed to live twice when I should not have, once through DKA and the other from Covid-19. I've been told I should not be alive. My main question is why AM I still alive?

10565308
Maybe you're still needed?

Ouch. That's sad. This does help with the whole Twilight-outlives-her-friends scenario, though.

10565334
Could be. Don't really feel that way, though.

Awww so bittersweet. At least there's kind of a happy ending

This story is saddening and very touching....it brought me to tears. Lovely story though.

Login or register to comment