• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 9,476 Views, 842 Comments

The Game: Aether and Mind - Zwillingen700



Have you ever asked yourself, "What would it be like if your life was in some ways like a video game?" I didn't, and it's a lot more complicated than to press a button to win

  • ...
25
 842
 9,476
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 231 )

*The sex tag is for the mentioning of sex, detailed descriptions of it as
well as the few scenes where sexual moments and or organs might be mentioned. If actual sex scenes will take place is something I am not
entirely sure yet.*

But... There isn't a sex tag.

10121915
Opps... I seem to have made quiet the mistake there. Thanks for informing me.

You should do another story like this but he chooses the mage class

10136598
Do not worry, the reason he became a fighter was so he wouldn't die upon touch. Each class level seperatly, meaning that reaching level 10 as a mage would take just as much time and effort it did for warrior level 10. His total level is just all levels added.

Well there be any time Skip's

10148318
Yep, the next chapter will start a few years into the future.

10148595
Well he be in the Maine story line and meet the Maine 6

10148903
He will appear in the main timeline and meet the mane six, but mostly he will live his own adventure. At first, it will be in Canterlot and then perhaps somewhere else, but not Ponyville. That is Twilight's adventure and test, no his. That is not to say that he and Nightmare or other villains and characters otherwise exclusive to Ponyville will not meet him.

10149004
Thank you for telling me this and great story

10149107
Thank you for the compliment. And I hope that your opinion of my writing will only become more positive as the story goes on.

10149454
The other two worlds were completely made up by me, but slane would've had some resemblance to Zerus from Starcraft. They might a visit one day, but nothing has been planned yet.

It's rare to find something consistently updated and amazing nowadays, but here it is! If you ever need an editor or something along those lines, I would not object - this is great!

10184395
He can still become a necromancer at a later point, for a matter of fact my original plan was for John to become a necromancer, but I don't think the story would've lasted long if he died from one attack and it would've been boring if he were to dodge everything since his undead friends could not really help him in the waking world.

10184205
The Former Human Perk makes so that John gains 25% more exp. You are right, to remove the weak flaw, John has to gain strenght. I am not going to spoil the part with Twilight. If John were to flare at a later point then Celestia noticing would be his least worry. Too much flarring atracts nightmares as good as a large collection of negativity, the worst case scenario would be that he crashes the world into the nightmare realm, but he is nowhere near as powerful enough for that.

10183537
He wanted to become a Minotaur, but sadly you can't rip open the fabric between dimensions with muscles alone, you need a lot of Aether control like the one unicorns have.

will there be an update soon or in the foreseeable future?,
just re-read the story again can't wait for more

10185897
With everything going on in the world and everything closed I do not think it will be all too long.

10185912
alright thank you, can't wait to get more of this sweet story!

From all fic that i read, your fic is the best one dude/girl...
I wonder when u will upload the new one...

*And hope u don't abandoned this one*

10187479
The perk gamers mind reduces and puts a wall in front of his exploding emotion, but the problem is that stolen body has yet to match entirely with the game. the flaw Outcast denies him horse senses, but if he gets rid of it he might not be able to see the world in the same light. Thanks, I try my best and hope you enjoy coming chapters as well.

10188914
The problem lies less with my skills and more with the newest version of the editing program I'm using. Words are getting 'corrected' without me telling it, this already has lead to a lot of frustration when I had to rewrite several sentences multiple times because, for example, Sugar Drop was not recognized as a name, thus turned to Sugar droplet, which in turn broke the sentence. Still, I am happy that you enjoy it.

10198141
Well, my first language was russian (speaking, not writing), then German and then English. Of course that doesn't excuse the errors, I am grateful for hints and tips of improvement however.

10198505
Glad to know you've got this. :-)


This is quite the interesting take on the entire thing, and decidedly different to what I typically find here. It's not trying for "darker & edgier", it just sort of ends up that way because of the protagonist's jadedness and bitterness. Let's see where it goes.

10198769
I will try not to spoil. Celestia knows a bit of the Aether, the basics and as of this moment perhaps a bit more than John, even if most are just speculations. Celestia believe Star to be the key, or at least a chance to get closer to her goal, but that plan does not match with Star's plans. Celestia has no real knowledge of the events that are about to happen, just several plans just in case. If Celestia knew of Star's powers and not just the 'blessing' then plans would change. She would only lock him up if he was to 'disobey.'

I also turned the two chapters into one, the pacing and flow felt better that way.

10205408
If you pictured the universe as an orb, with several layers making the construct up, then the nightmare realm would be pretty close to the core, then there would be the dream realm, then comes the mirror world, and lastly, the waking world. I try not to make things too complicated, and sometimes fail at that, but I wished to make a few explanations for things, instead of just saying 'it works because it works' and 'it's just the way things are.' I hope that this chapter won't discourage you from reading the rest of the story when I publish it.

10205486
Yes, thank you! I've been trying to find the word for a while now, but I only knew the german term, "Kugelhantel," which translated means "Ball dumbbell." I chose the lousy translation after having not found any results after ten minutes of search. Thanks:pinkiehappy:

10207301
Fixed, and I am grateful for every constructive comment I receive.

Didn't think I'd enjoy this story as much as I actually did. Wonderful read, looking forward to more.

Why does Celestia give him drugs?

10210341
That will be revealed later on in the story.

I think this is my new favorite story

10227171
Mostly no, but he is someone who is related to Celestia's sheme. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Before I read this, I must know: Why would we think that this story is a self-insert fanfic?

10227224
Too many people telling me that my stories are self fulfillment.

10227226
I'm happy you enjoyed it, let's see how much you'll like the rest, have fun.

10244271
I wanted to make him less powerful, so that he could not shrug off every attack, he's in a high risk/reward situation and basically a glass canon. It's a lot more interesting to read and write this was, but it also has to do with my original plan to make him a necromancer from the start, but I chose against it since it wouldn't have fit John's character, even now he thinks too much like a somewhat sane human to do that.

10248629
Golemancy is like Necromancy with ethics ruining all the easy resources.

...

Also y'know, your job is to build giant robotic servants and a golemancer is basically how you end up with mechas.

Nice job with the story so far keep the good work

10262624
I am happy that you enjoyed the read and here's the newest chapter, freshly released.

....so, you earned a favorite from me, but I kind of have a question for you. When's the next chapter going to be? For some reason, this story just really sucks me in. Also, I feel really bad for how Gentle's being treated here. Celestia's just outright monopolizing him, and she can't even say anything about it. Let's just hope she can do something soon.

This has been an absolute delight to read, I am praying without end for the next chapter to come out!

amazing read, keep doing what you're doing

10303499
I know what you mean, I re-read this chapter (Birth) yesterday and it is the worst one by a fair margin. I'm probably going to rewrite it pretty soon, not only because of the content, but also due to the over all atmosphere.

10310894
He is aware that he is feeling pain, but does not feel it, he is aware of it however. In a sense, its like a very strong painkiller, just that he is not entirely numb.

10310897
The addiction will be less powerful the more he receives, as his body will no longer be overwhelmed. I will tone it done in the next dungeon, I would've done so either way as it serves not much to the plot, that's beside the fact that the Game does bot need a blood crazed beast.

The first dungeon was, in a sense, to sweeten the pot for the host. The chances that the Game would end up with a righteous hero or a person that actually wants to put his or her live on the line for the greater good are much Slimer than a selfish being, who wants to gain power and feel good. The Game does bot need to continue this drug rush. It will now just be a "tingling sensation in the chest" and decrease the mental overflow.

10310924
The chapter was too short for a good flow, I have to admit, it was a bit rushed after a lot of people complained, that the toddler phase grew too long, which I agree with.

John preferred his human body much more, but that was it. He has no dislike for humanity, just no care for it after living in a world that gave him no second thought. Amber, humanity or not, is the last person and family member who is close with, his sister, and she's probably the only thing he still cares about, even more than his own health.

He often/will outright mention that he is only nice to the ponies because of the advantages he gets and favors he wants to pay back. If he will care about the world and the people is yet to be seen.

Corpses can be used for crafting, brewing and rituals, like to summon creatures.

Is there gonna be an update anytime soon.

10311037
It’s a bit silly to remove pain in that sense. Sure it lets you focus more on a fight and less likely to be incapacitated, but pain exists for a reason. It’s a good teacher among other things.

10311048
I mean, it just makes the whole thing pointless. I could understand I guess if it’s explained as his body adjusting to the influx, but it’s not really his body for one, and it’s also just redundant for another.

I mean, even if the feeling is lessened the more he gets, that’s literally how addictions work. If you’re addicted to something, you seek more and more every time because your body adapts to each dose. I.e. you take 1 pill the first time, 2 the next, 4 the next, so on so forth, because every time you take some your body adjusts to the extra dosage so each pill feels weaker.

It just feels like a pointless feature.

10311062
When I say humanity I don’t mean his appearance. By humanity I mean morals, empathy, everything considered “human” in the psychological and mental sense. Hence why I say if he lost his humanity he would no longer care about Amber, he’d be mentally incapable of caring.

As for the corpse thing, it’s a bit odd given it was described almost as if he absorbed the body, only for it to be in his inventory. Especially given he didn’t actively take the body, it was just suddenly put in there without his input.

10319333
Those are good points, that I will try to explain better and more throrughly in the next dungeon.

-He doesn't feel pain, but he is aware that he can feel it. This mental awareness will, in a way, replace the physical sensation with that of a emotions like stress, anger or fear. He can still feel emotions, they are just regulated after a certain threshold.

-He can't get addicted, but still have cravings. See it less like a drug, and more like an adrenaline rush from bungey jumping or sky diving. Its not used to make the host addicted, but more of a tool for the game, like a carrot on a stick. There was no guarantee that the Game would get a host that cared about Nightmares or other people.

-the fire effect is reserved for bosses and nightmares far above Johns level. The corpses are filled with Aether and have their power extracted at a incredibly fast pace, the fire that John sees. The corpse is not destroyed, it will absorb the Aether back with the last few, fadding scraps of Mind leaving the inanimate object, so that the power growth is at up most efficence and John memories as fresh as possible. There is no real fire, it just appears this way to john, since he can see the process, yet not fully understand it.

I'm sorry if I am making the story more confusing that it has to be, I just didn't want to burry the readers in an information pile. Still, your feedback is incredibly useful, so I am grateful for that.

Have a nice day.

Login or register to comment