• Published 3rd Feb 2019
  • 3,935 Views, 116 Comments

The Ballad of the Prince-Formerly-Known-As-King-Sombra - MisterEdd



Follow Twilight Sparkle and her reformed coltfriend the former tyrant Sombra

  • ...
8
 116
 3,935

Home Again

Twilight curiously watched the two Sombras sitting on the floor across from one another, freely conversing and even smiling at one another as they exchanged playing cards. It gave her a warm, fuzzy feeling to see her Sombra interacting so amicably with a child, even one as strange and foreign as his bipedal, cross-dimensional counterpart. When it came to having a foal of their own, Twilight knew about Sombra's reluctance on the subject and understood it, though she also thought it was ridiculous. She'd heard about his interactions with the CMCs and believed that he's make a terrific father but they'd have to put that particular conversation on hold for the moment.

"I win!"

Sombra stared skeptically at his doppelganger. "I don't believe you."

With a "challenged accepted" look in his eye, Little Sombra laid his cards down and crossed his arms haughtily. "Ten of Hearts, Ten of Diamonds, Ten of Clubs and a Jack. I...win."

The alicorn glared down at the cards set down in front of him-two Aces, a Queen and a Two of Spades-and knocked them aside. "I hate this game."

Little Sombra grinned, "Come on, don't be a sore loser. Let's face it: you're good but I'm way better."

"We'll see how good you are when you're locked in a trunk at the bottom of the sea," Sombra grumbled as Little Sombra stuck his tongue out at him.

Twilight sauntered over to Sombra and giggled. "Oh don't be so sour, honey. You're still number one to me." She then pecked him on the cheek, earning her a light blush. "There's that smile!"

Princess Cadence and Shining Armor chose that moment to enter the throne room, having spent the past few minutes observing the trio, especially the two Sombras. It was kind of adorable to see the ex-tyrant acting so foalish and Shining Armor had to roll his eyes when Cadence cooed affectionately at Twilight and Sombra's interactions with each other. Given the events that'd transpired months ago, things would never cease to be weird but Shining had promised Cadence that he'd try to be more civil to Sombra. Queen Chrysalis jab aside, he had to admit that Sombra had been rather passive towards him. Maybe this could work after all.

Cadence cleared her throat and the three turned to spot the two newcomers. "How is everypony getting along?"

Little Sombra scurried to his hooves. "Great! I just wiped the floor with Sombra here!"

"Only for three games in a row!" Sombra argued. "Seriously, that was a fluke!"

"'Fluke' my butt! You just suck!"

"I-I'm just a little rusty that's all!"

"I think 'terrible' would work better."

"Why you impotent, little...-"

"Sombra!" Twilight interjected.

"Sorry Twi."

"How very mature of you," Cadence deadpanned. "Hopefully you'll grow up one day, young colt."

Sombra's head drew back. "Wha-...'colt'? I'm more than a thousand years older than you!"

"Then you'd better star acting it."

"Yeah, act your age," Little Sombra parroted arrogantly.

"Listen you little...-"

A loud boom interrupted their argument, which was followed by a popping-cracking sound as a sparkling, prismatic disk flashed into focus. The disk expanded into a ten-foot circle and stabilized, giving the onlookers a glimpse of a war-torn city of rubble and collapsed buildings. A figure then appeared, stepping out of the portal and into the throne room, startling them with her visage. She was an alicorn mare whose pink eyes coldly sweeping over them as if assessing the room for any possible threats. A gown of golden and ivory samite wrapped around her body and her free flowing, rose-colored mane danced in a nonexistent breeze.

"Princess Celestia?"

The mare squinted curiously at the group's collective exclamation. "So I do have a double in this world. How curious." She soon turned her attention to the colt hiding behind Twilight. "There you are! Do you have any idea of the trouble you've caused me?!" Little Sombra shivered and hugged Twilight's foreleg. "My scouts were looking everywhere for you and it turns out that you've hopped realities! Get over here right now, young colt! When we get back to the palace...-"

"Hey, lay off the kid!"

Princess Celestia hissed, "What did you say?"

Little Sombra stared awestruck at his quadrupedal counterpart.

Sombra stepped forward, his wings spread out aggressively. "I said, 'Lay off the kid.' Don't talk to him like that."

Peering closely at him, Princess Celestia's eyes momentarily widened in shock before narrowing again. "I see this world's Sombra is just as crude as my world's. And an alicorn. I must admit, I didn't see that coming."

"Nopony did," Sombra replied, placing his hoof on his double's shoulder. "You shouldn't be so hard on him. Clearly he's been through a lot and what he needs is a guiding hoof, not a raised voice."

"You're not his guardian nor do you know where I got him from so I would advise you to keep your muzzle shut."

Sombra opened his mouth but Cadence quickly placed a hoof over it. "You're quite right, Your Majesty. Please forgive my colleague's impertinence. He's still quite new to his position." Sombra scowled but said nothing.

Princess Celestia smirked. "At least one of you knows the meaning of respect."

Something darted towards her face, only for a corona of gold energy to swiftly catch it. Celestia held the stone up and glowered at Little Sombra. "Sombra, say your goodbyes and come."

The colt stared helplessly up at the two ponies at his sides. "Please, I don't want to go."

Twilight's heart went out to him but she gently pulled away. "I'm sorry but she is your guardian."

"Twilight's right. Besides, if you stayed here, you'd be the only one of your kind," Sombra added softly. "Trust me, it's a lonely existence, one that I'd never wish for anypony to ever go through."

Little Sombra cast his eyes to the floor. "I wish I could stay with you guys."

"I know, little guy but this is the way it has to be." Sombra lifted the colt's head up with a wing. "But that doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I know life seems unfair but that doesn't mean you have to give up. Make the best of what you've got and try to make the world better than it's been towards you." He then magically pulled his brooch from his cloak and passed it to Little Sombra. "Here, take this. Let it be a reminder to always try to be fair and just."

Little Sombra took the brooch and cradled it, inspecting the silver, alicorn-shaped fastener. He sniffled and wiped away the tears that'd gathered in his eyes. "Th-thanks, Sombra. I'll never forget that. Or you."

He dove into Sombra's chest and wrapped his arms around him. The gesture threw Sombra off but he eventually returned the hug, covering Little Sombra with his wings. Cadence and Twilight were both tearing up and even Shining was touched at the tender moment shared between the two Sombras. Princess Celestia tapped one hoof impatiently.

"Sombra..."

The colt reluctantly pulled away. "I'm coming!" Fastening the brooch to the front of his shirt, he saluted Sombra before giving Twilight a monster hug. "Thanks for everything, Twilight. I'll never forget you."

"I'll never forget you either, sweetie." Twilight sniffled and kissed Little Sombra's cheek, giggling at the colt's dumbfounded expression. He shook his head and rubbed at his beat-red cheeks.

"Goodbye Cadence, goodbye Shining Armor."

"Goodbye, Sombra. Good luck on your travels," Cadence beamed.

"It was great meeting you," Shining chuckled.

Realizing that he'd kept his guardian waiting for far too long, Little Sombra jogged over to her and took her outstretched hoof. The two neared the portal and he gave the trio one last, despondent glance before he and Celestia passed through the portal, vanishing in a bright flash of light and a thunderous boom. With a crackle-fizz, the portal shrank and poofed out of existence.

Sombra stepped over to where the portal was and heaved a heavy sigh, his head dropping down and his dark wings sagging to the floor. Though their time was brief, he was going to miss Little Sombra. As weird as it was, it was almost as if having a foal of his own. Sure, he still had his reservations, but maybe a colt or a filly of his own wouldn't be too bad. A gentle hoof rubbed at his shoulder and he lifted his head back up to stare into a pair of violet eyes he knew and adored all too well. Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad at all.

Comments ( 28 )

Eh? Wait... where's the next chapter button?
Wh... where is it!?

Where's the next chapter button!!!!!!?

9990611
Don't worry, I'm working on the next one as we speak and it'll be up soon.

Sombra stepped over to where the portal was and heaved a heavy sigh, his head dropping down and his dark wings sagging to the floor. Though their time was brief, he was going to miss Little Sombra. As weird as it was, it was almost as if having a foal of his own. Sure, he still had his reservations, but maybe a colt or a filly of his own wouldn't be too bad. A gentle hoof rubbed at his shoulder and he lifted his head back up to stare into a pair of violet eyes he knew and adored all too well. Yeah, that wouldn't be too bad at all.

So is Sombra going to put a ring on Twilight or not

10103153
Same! *high five*

10103155
Ya I got to message you something

10145880
neat
I’m glad to know the story isn’t dead, a constant fear for all ‘incomplete’ stories I read. Also, don’t address the issue just to soothe one fan. If it fits the story (still catching up), fine, but don’t succumb to pressure from your readers.

10146218
I was going to continue the story and put in a fight between Sombra and Rainbow but I got distracted with When Darkness Falls and The Return of the King, both of which I'm more interested in exploring.

Princess Celestia smirked. "At least one of you knows the meaning of respect."

Bitch! This isn’t even her reality; she hasn’t any authority here. Given what lil’ Sombra said about Alicorns, she should be happy the four ponies don’t toss her back through the portal on her ass.

I really enjoyed this. :) just as much as I enjoyed the prequel.

10149217
:rainbowlaugh: I can do it if you'd like.

10546290
Thank you! I'm more focused on my head-canon series as it's this big multi-story epic but I'll return to this eventually.

Just gonna ask
Is Twilight going to turn into an alicorn?
I'm hoping cause if she does then she and can stay together forever.

Comment posted by Eventide100 deleted Dec 2nd, 2020

10560402
Alright, once again I'm hoping she does

2021, hopefull you didn’t abandon this work of art.

10863443
Oh, thank you. I haven't. I'm working on my head-canon series so this is on hold.

10864096
If it's on hold then change the completion status to on hiatus. That way people won't get their hopes up.

10890677
Sorry about that. I will do that ASAP.

More, more!!

Comment posted by midnight arrow deleted Mar 23rd, 2022

what happened to this story

I wonder what will happen next.)

Login or register to comment