• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,762 Views, 4,802 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,802
 7,762

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 89

Escape through the ring. 52%

Twilight would’ve loved to stay behind in this amazing station and study it for a hundred years. The technology that had built it was so advanced as to fill her with awe—and hope—for Equestria’s own future. If these builders could build impressive megastructures, there was no saying Equestria couldn’t too.

But however curious she was, however much she had to see what happened, her friends were still comatose, and the air was running out. Not to mention there was just as much useful information on the ship. The situation had been so desperate when Sunset finally woke that she hadn’t been able to learn what she knew quite yet. She was a captain, after all.

Twilight took a few more photos with her suit’s camera, then turned for the first door she could see. She needed an airlock, then she could jump back to the Equinox and use the rangefinder to try for another jump for the Prospector. She’d already failed one jump today, she wasn’t going to eyeball another one.

Twilight wandered for hours. She wandered so long that her suit’s scrubbers went from green to yellow, and eventually switched into filtration mode to preserve entropy on the carbon capsule. If there was one miracle for her, it was that the Signalers seemed to breathe the same air that ponies did, and kept it aboard their station long after the last of them left.

The amount of internal space on the ring was staggering. Chambers sometimes extended so far over her head that whole castles could’ve stacked on top of each other without getting near the roof. Other times she was forced to crawl through tiny passages, clearly not built for someone as large as she was.

At first Twilight tried to follow the friendliest writing on the station walls—but after her fifth dead end that way, she switched to using her EVA’s slate to sketch a map. Even a window would be enough for her to teleport out. But the station hadn’t had many of those, not from orbit. Maybe it didn’t have any at all.

Does Twilight find any useful information? Critical no.

More than once she encountered shelves of strange objects, rooms of active machines, or computers just begging to have their contents examined. But the longer she spent wandering, the more of them she passed by without so much as a picture. Her friends were running out of air.

I bet they could stretch it to a day, if they were smart about it and used the medical oxygen tanks. How long have I been walking? She took one glance down at her suit’s watch, then froze.

Fifteen hours. She’d been going for half a day and more, but still hadn’t found a way out.

This ring probably has more internal area than Equestria before the collapse. Depending on how they do the gravity, if it had just two floors, it certainly does. I’m not getting anywhere.

Twilight reached her next computer panel, stopping dead in front of it. She needed to do something, or else she might be walking at random until her friends were long dead, and she starved to death.

She had tried before, and each time her work on these identical consoles of floating holographic light always failed. Her hooves moved, following the things she thought the icons meant, the suggestions of meaning. She needed an exit, or a map.

Twilight attempts to find a map. Success.

Then it appeared. There was no mistaking the bright red dot for her position in the ring, and the periodic zooming until that dot took up more than a single pixel of the display. She could pinch and zoom the image with pressure the way she expected, tracing out the hallways until she found… a hangar.

It wasn’t that far away, just down a long stairwell and into a wide central passage. She stepped into the control room.

Former hangar. The inside of the facility had been thoroughly sabotaged. The corpses of ships hung in the air outside the control room, with perfect lines cut at various points, sheering through each ship component and out the other side.

The space beyond seemed to go on forever—there were hundreds of dead ships hanging there, each one broken in different ways. And their corpses.

Or something like corpses, anyway. The flesh was all gone, but there were still mechanical parts. Arms that floated, strong legs lodged into a gap in a broken ship. They were made of all the same stuff, and Twilight couldn’t even tell at a glance how much of what she saw was broken ship and how much might be broken pony. Not pony shapes. But they’re not the drones we found in the ruins earlier. Maybe these pieces are what the Signalers looked like.

Through the debris, Twilight could see a single clear shot out into the void, starlight shining.

Twilight closed her eyes, then jumped. Her suit hissed, then clicked as the atmosphere vanished from outside, sealing itself off again. Twilight twitched one leg, turning her maneuvering thruster so she could look back at the ring and grab a photo. This was an easy point of ingress, one that she could use for harvesting.

“Equinox, this is Twilight. Come in.”

There was a hiss of static, then. “Twilight,” Fluttershy answered. “What are… you’re still alive?”

“Apparently so,” Twilight said. “Suit chronometer says I’ve been gone… nineteen hours.”

“Nineteen hours, thirty-one minutes,” Spike said flatly. “I didn’t see you reappear. But I’m getting your transponder now. Guess I should’ve known you wouldn’t have Fluxed yourself.”

“Not today,” she said. “Listen, can you give me position and heading for the Prospector?”

“You mean the prospector that kept drifting at three meters per second for over nineteen hours?” Spike asked. “The one that’s over two hundred kilometers away?”

“I’ve done further,” Twilight muttered, though even the thought of it was giving her a headache. “I’ve done Canterlot Station to Ponyville. I can do this.”

“I’ve still got a live transponder signal, hold on,” Spike said. He gave her a heading a moment later, and she tilted her suit again to aim in the suggested direction. She couldn’t see the ship—or anything else, for that matter. It was all black.

“I take it we weren’t able to get in to remote pilot the Prospector?” she asked.

“Nope,” Spike agreed. “You have to set that up when you leave. So far as I can tell, you didn’t even take your key with you when you disembarked.”

“Twilight, we’re…” Fluttershy began. “I’ve got a decision to make here. Maybe you could share your insight. Sunset has her ideas, but she’s not my captain.”

“Go on.”

“We can scrub C02 all day, but we’ve already dropped to seventeen percent O2. If we wait much longer, we’re going to be too disoriented to… to…”

There was a brief burst of static, then Spike continued for her. “Fluttershy and Sunset are considering using the escape pod to return to Proximus B. But doing so would require the others be frozen.”

“Which means months until we can thaw them again,” Twilight finished. “And Celestia only knows what that will do to the connection to their minds, if they’re really stored elsewhere.”

“Right,” Fluttershy said. “Sunset can’t freeze, not for at least a year. She’s already waiting on the escape pod. But if I don’t get to work freezing our friends, I won’t be able to for much longer. It’s up to you, captain.”

She wouldn’t have long to decide, before what might be the hardest teleport of her career.

1. Freeze. The risk is unacceptable, even if we do lose some of the crew for awhile.
2. Do not. I get to keep my friends, but if I miss this teleport and we run out of time, their bodies will die.

(Certainty 225 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18065538

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next