• Published 5th Aug 2018
  • 3,301 Views, 8 Comments

A new day - Fedairkid



Even the sun goddess can fall victim to doubt...

  • ...
2
 8
 3,301

1

“... It sure was tough to get those Griffons to budge. But this new trade agreement will help both Equestria and Griffonstone in the long run.”

Twilight entered the bedroom that she and Celestia shared in Canterlot Castle. Her head was lowered, a few strands of her mane sprang out wildly and patches of her fur were slightly damp with sweat. Hours upon hours of negotiating had clearly taken a toll on her mind and body.

Luckily, the room she had entered was quite inviting. Warm beams of the evening sun shone through the windows and enveloped everything in an orange tint. Dozens of bookshelves lined the walls, packed with unending amounts of knowledge. Between them hung paintings. Most of them depicted Celestia and Twilight, sometimes formal, occasionally playful.

Twilight rushed past all of it, a very clear destination in mind: her bed.
She promptly collapsed onto it and let out a content sigh. After sitting for so long, the velvety hug of her bedsheets was like heaven. Finally her muscles managed to relax and let loose all of the tension that had accumulated. Twilight closed her eyes and basked in it all. The cloud bed beneath her freeing her body of all strain, and the sun’s warmth sinking into every fiber of her being.

“Indeed. The Griffons sure have come a long way, but I wouldn’t quite describe them as ‘friendly’ yet. They actually believed that we were trying to infiltrate their borders, and only used the resource exchange as an excuse. Stubborn creatures they are. I have to say Twilight, using Gabby as an example of beneficial Griffon-Pony relations was a stroke of genius ”

Twilight’s ears perked up and she cracked open an eye. Her vision was completely encompassed by an aurora of flowing colours, and a pair of stunning lilac eyes. No matter how many times a day she saw it, Celestia’s likeness had never failed to fill Twilight with awe. As far as she was concerned, it was the very definition of beauty and grace. That coupled with even a simple compliment caused her cheeks to adopt a slight blush.

“W-Well, I just tried my best and hoped it would work, really.”

A smile curved Celestia’s lips.

“It certainly did work.”

Suddenly, Celestia’s smile started to waver ever so slightly, and her look adopted a more somber tone, leaving the room feeling a few degrees colder.

“You could’ve handled those negotiations all by yourself.”

Twilight was worried at the sudden mood swing, pained to see her idol and lover in any state other than happy. And while she wanted to say something, she quickly found her lips to be sealed, Celestia dashing forward and gracing the lavender alicorn with a kiss. It instantly cleansed Twilight’s mind of the worry’s demon, and returned the warmth that had been lost. She quickly returned the gesture, happy to be so close with her princess. Soon though, all too soon in Twilight’s opinion, Celestia pulled back.

Twilight wanted to protest, desperate to have her sun close again. It proved to be unnecessary. A pristine alabaster wing draped over her, covering her entire frame and enveloping it like a blanket. Soon after, Celestia herself joined Twilight on the bed, gently laying her body to rest, so close to Twilight that she could feel Celestia’s fur against her sides. It tickled her slightly, almost eliciting a giggle. After her love had found a nice position to rest in, Twilight gave her a quick look-over. Just like herself, the taxing day had left her visibly exhausted. She was already beginning to doze off, her eyes barely staying open, before eventually the lids would finally close. It astounded Twilight time and time again. The power to control day and night, the strength to rule all of Equestria and the wisdom of thousands of years, all of it looking so peaceful, so beautiful when asleep.

Looking over Celestia’s sleeping figure, Twilight was overcome with nostalgia. Until recently, their relationship had been that of good friends, of teacher and student, rather than lovers. It had taken Twilight ages to muster up the courage to confess her feelings of respect and thankfulness transformed to love and desire. And she certainly hadn’t expected them to be mutual. Even in moments like this she found it hard to believe. After all, Celestia was the embodiment of perfection, compared to her, Twilight had nothing to offer.

But maybe she shouldn’t worry about that, after all, everything’s worked out fine.

A tired smile curved Twilight’s lips. She slowly rested her head atop of Celestia’s chest, taking in her scent and letting it seep into her mind. And with the rhythmic heaving and sinking of Celestia’s breathing, she was slowly lulled to sleep. It guided her into a land of rest and peaceful dreams. Dreams of Celestia, of the sun itself.


Twilight found herself ripped from her dreams eventually. Why, she couldn’t tell. There was no sunlight trying to invade her sleep. No birds were singing their songs to wake her. No sounds of ponies going about business in the castle to disturb her. So what had woken her up? With her eyes still closed, she reached for Celestia, hoping that the contact would sooth her mind and guide her back to sleep. Alas, after a few seconds of groping in the dark, she realized that other than herself, the bed was vacant. Come to think of it, her head wasn’t resting on soft white fur either, but on the comparatively uncomfortable pillow. And the sweet melody of her love’s heartbeat wasn’t gracing her ears either. Worry started to form in her mind. Why was Celestia not with her?

With worry forcing her more and more awake, Twilight realized what had woken her. A noise was creeping through the room, quiet like a whisper, but nevertheless present. Was that… sobbing? Something was wrong.

Twilight groggily opened her eyes and sat upright. She took a quick look around the room, but with her vision still hazy, and the night sky barely illuminating her surroundings, she was unable to see anything. She shook her head to try and fight off some of the tiredness, and then focused. Shortly after, her horn emitted a purple glow. It was just enough light to see the silhouettes. After a bit of searching, her eyes wandered to the glass door leading to the balcony. Through the glass, Twilight was able to make out a figure. It was barely visible, but she could recognize that frame from a mile away. Celestia.

Almost immediately Twilight got out of the bed and began approaching the door. Even the thought of Celestia shedding tears made Twilight’s soul wince. The closer she got to her destination, the more her light allowed her to see of Celestia. She was sitting on her haunches, head lifted skywards as she stared blankly towards the stars. Her eyes were somewhat bloodshot, and tears were still welling in them and running down her cheeks, leaving behind dark trails on her perfect white fur.

It broke Twilight’s heart.

She gently pushed the door open and stepped up to Celestia. The cold air sent chills down her spine, the air quiet save for the crickets playing their concert. Her approach seemed to stay unnoticed, as Celestia continued to stare towards the stars.

“...Celestia?” Twilight’s voice cut through the near-silence. It also managed to break Celestia out of her trance, blinking confusedly and whipping her head towards Twilight.

“Oh, Twilight, I... W-What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” She hastily wiped the tears out of her eyes.

Twilight slowly walked closer to Celestia, resting one hoof on her shoulder, hoping to offer any sort of comfort. “How could I rest when you’re like this? Please, princess, tell me what’s wrong so we can work through it.

After holding eye contact for a second, Celestia turned her head away.
“It’s just that...well, what I said earlier, about you being able to handle those negotiations on your own, it’s true. And not just in that case. Be it political trouble like that, or a grave danger to Equestria, it was always you that I have relied on. I was always unable to help. I was always defeated, or unaware. I couldn’t even say which of the two is worse, ignorance or inadequacy. I should be neither, it is my duty to protect this land as it’s ruler. ….A duty I have failed to fulfill time and time again…”

“P-Princess, I..-”

“And I’m just so frustrated and ANGRY!” Celestia’s voice was no longer a whisper, but a painful roar. Tears were once again flowing from her eyes in streams. “Angry at myself, for being unable to guard my subjects in times of woe. Angry at you for always being prepared to do what I can’t. And I know that it’s unfair. I love you, I know you’re only doing your best, and that I should be thankful, it’s just.... In you, I see everything I should be. Everytime I look at you, I see the pony I love with all my heart. But I also see a grim reminder of my own failure…I just…”

The rest of the sentence never left Celestia’s mouth. She froze in place, once again staring blankly, she lowered her eyes to the ground. For a moment, the only audible sound was the quiet beats of her tears hitting the balcony floor.

Twilight was shocked. Celestia, inadequate? The thought had never crossed her mind before. It was nonsense. She was the pony who made Twilight who she was today. She was the ruler under which Equestria had prospered. She had always been her idol, her example of what absolute perfection was like. Seeing her like this, plagued by these thoughts? It was almost impossible to process.

...Maybe it was time for Twilight to act as Celestia’s guiding light for once. She gulped, taking a deep breath. She cupped Celestia’s head in her hoof, turning it towards her. Before speaking, she made sure to look into those shimmering purple eyes, their beauty shining through the tears, entrancing her and almost causing Twilight to lose her focus.

“Celestia, you are not a failure!” she emphasised. “How did you think I’ve managed to prevail all these times? Every single success I accomplish, every task I master, it is all thanks to you. Everything good about me, my knowledge, my friends, my magical skills, my ideals, it’s all due to your guidance. It was you who showed me the world, and how to tread in it. It was you who made prepared me to take on whatever was thrown at me. You are neither ignorant or inadequate. You rule this country and allow it to flourish. And only thanks to you was I able to aid it in times of need. Because, Celestia, you don’t have to do this alone. You have to do so much, it is incredible how you handle almost all of it on your own. But even you can’t do everything.”

Twilight leaned in and rested her forehead on Celestia’s.

“Don’t be ashamed about sometimes relying on me. Be thankful that you can. I certainly am. And I am so proud to stand by your side. You are the sun, and your light has guided me throughout all of my life. And just like every other citizen, it fills me with warmth and comfort day after day. You don’t just fulfill your duty, you go above and beyond it’s call!”

Celestia let out a weak chuckle. “You always know just what to say to me, Twilight. Sometimes I wonder just what I did to deserve you. Thank you, my love. It’s just, when I look back on the times that I’ve failed, I can’t help but feel as if I should never have allowed these tragedies to happen.”

“Well, princess, what was it you always told me back then? ‘Mistakes are merely an opportunity to learn from. And to appreciate the value of support from other ponies’. I think it’s about time you followed your own rule.”

“Ahahahaha” Celestia let out a hearty laugh. Pulling her head away from Twilight, she established eye-contact. “It seems as if the student has become the teacher. Yes, Twilight, I think it is time that I followed my own lessons.”

The usual happy, almost smug expression of Celestia returned, only stained by the remnants of her tears, which were quickly fading away. It flooded Twilight with warmth despite of the cold air of the night. She returned Celestia’s gaze. “Indeed. Are you feeling better now? Because I really can’t stand to see you sad…”

“Yes, Twilight. I am. I-” Her sentence was interrupted by the lavender alicorn hastily pressing herself to Celestia’s chest. Instead of finishing her sentence, Celestia wrapped her wings around Twilight, who sighed contently. She focused on Celestia’s heartbeat once more. Steadily it pounded, comforting Twilight. It was over now. Her princess was no longer in despair. While cuddling with Celestia in silence like this was utterly enjoyable to Twilight, curiosity eventually did get the better of her.

“What brought this on anyway? It is...unusual for you to stress out like that. You are always so calm and collected, confident in you abilities no matter the circumstances.”

A short laugh was her response. “I think you give me a bit too much credit, Twilight. My confidence does falter from time to time. ...it was rumours. I heard ponies talking when they thought I wasn’t around. Talking about how I am growing too weak to lead. Too incapable, forced to rely on other ponies whenever times get tough.” She sighed. “Over the thousands of years that I have been in charge, muting out senseless gossip by the ponies around me became commonplace. It never got to me. But this time… I couldn’t deny a certain truth in it. At first I brushed it off, but over time...it slowly ate away at me. Until today I ultimately succumbed, I suppose. I’m just glad I have you, Twilight. Who knows how far this would’ve taken me if you didn’t snap me out of it…”

“Celestia, please. If something like that happens ever again, don’t keep it to yourself. Talk to me. I’ll be here for you, always.”

“I know. And I will. Thank you.”

Once again, the two princesses fell into silence, lovingly staring into each other’s eyes. This time, it was interrupted by the sing-song of birds. Celestia cocked her head towards the horizon. “It’s time for me to start the day.”

Twilight reluctantly let go of Celestia, moving a few steps back. Her heart was pounding, seeing Celestia raise the sun was otherworldly. Even as her lover, Twilight rarely got to witness the birth of a new day. Celestia moved towards the edge of the balcony, head held up high and wings spread out to their entirety. The sheer power and authority radiating off Celestia almost made Twilight smile at the contradiction of what had come prior.

Once Celestia reached the balcony railing, her horn began to glow. Faintly at first, littlemore than a slight hue change in the air. After a few brief moments however, the intensity increased, basking Celestia and everything around her in her signature golden glow. Then, the sky started to change. Far off in the horizon a few rays of orange light pierced through the night blue. Soon after, more and more of the night sky was illuminated with sunlight, until eventually the sun itself came into few. A big, bright orb of light. The sky exploded with orange as dawn took over the world, forcing Twilight to shield her eyes and adjust to the light. When she was finally able to take in the view, it was like she was in another world entirely.

The blue, cold serenity of night was gone, exchanged for the radiant brilliance of morning. With it, nature awoke as well. Birds flew from tree to tree, happily chirping away. The sounds of animals and ponies alike beginning to go about their day filled the air. Twilight could barely fathom it. She saw Equestria everyday, yet only now from up on the balcony, after seeing first-hoof how it all came to be was she able to see the beauty in it all.

After blinking a few times to regain her composure, she found her jaw open slightly in amazement, which she quickly fixed, happy that Celestia was looking elsewhere. Slowly, Twilight made her way over to Celestia and leaned on her love’s shoulder.

“It’ll be a good day.”

Comments ( 8 )

Very sweet and heartwarming. It's interesting to see Celestia, rather than Twilight, be the one with confidence issues.

9090206
Thank you <3

That was what I was going for, glad it worked out ^^

9090246
I should probably apologize for completely leaving you hanging x)

Really cute short story with very good wording and description. I especially liked the part where the sun was being raised. My only slight problems are that the story felt a little slow and some of the dialogue was a bit weak, but it's pretty much cancelled out by the insane level of the narration. Also, there's a slight misspelling.

Soon after, more and more of the night sky was illuminated with sunlight, until eventually the sun itself came into few

9090277
Fixed.

The dialogue was actually a tad bit worse still originally x)

But yeah, I was pretty much focused on experimenting with thethe narration, while I kinda had to force much of the dialogue out of me lol.

9090370
I can see that. But if you ask me, the dialogue is even more important than the narration. If you've never read it, I suggest you read How To Write A Damn Good Novel. I've learned a lot from it. I kinda used the dialogue tricks the book taught in the latest chapter of my story, but I don't think I did it very well. :twilightblush:

9090501
^^

No I do understand that dialogue generally is probably a bit more important, but this is what I intended to do with this story in particular.

Improving one step at a time :p

“Well, princess, what was it you always told me back then? ‘Mistakes are merely an opportunity to learn from. And to appreciate the value of support from other ponies’. I think it’s about time you followed your own rule.”

The student has become the master :ajsmug:. Cute story.

Login or register to comment