• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 2,930 Views, 19 Comments

Rainbow Rises - Trinary



A retelling of the Season 4 episode "Rainbow Falls"

  • ...
2
 19
 2,930

Cloudsdale

CLOUDSDALE

“Maybe I should I fly for Ponyville,” Rainbow mused.

Spitfire regarded her with a frown. “Is that what you want or what you think you’re supposed to want?”

“But—”

Spitfire raised her hoof and cut her off, an edge of her drill sergeant voice creeping in. “No, you need to hear this. They did it for you because that’s loyalty. You think you’re the only pony in Equestria who knows what that is?”

“Well, no but—”

“But nothing. They saw that the only thing really at stake in all of this was your success and your happiness. In the end, they decided that they couldn’t be happy for your team or for Ponyville if you weren’t happy. So the whole thing became pointless for them.” Spitfire tossed her mane. “You can go back and say you want to fly for Ponyville—but if you’re just doing it because you think you have to prove your loyalty again then it won’t mean anything—to them or to you.” She paused to let Rainbow Dash digest this. “I’m not gonna tell you what to do or think any differently of you regardless. But it seems to me that the best thing you can do to show your friends how appreciate of them you are—is to trust them enough to act in your best interest, and wow them by getting your rainbow-colored tail to the Equestria Games.”

Rainbow nodded slowly, a determined look in her eyes.

Spitfire gave her a nudge. “Ready to make them proud, then?”

“Always.” Rainbow Dash readjusted her goggles. “Let’s show them how we fly in Cloudsdale.”


Rainbow dabbed the sweat from her beaming face, flush with victory. Fluttershy sped over almost as soon as she had landed. “You did it! WOW!” Fluttershy cheered with abandon.

“You did it! You’re going to the Equestria Games!” Rainbow turned just in time to be hugged by Twilight--who was showing her support by wearing a rainbow wig and wearing one of Pinkie’s cheerleading outfits. I have the best friends EVER. Her smile only got wider as Applejack trotted over bearing a cart of apple muffins (for Derpy) and sweet apple cider (for her. All for her).

She watched Pinkie setting up a “Rainbow Dash Qualified for the Equestria Games!” party and Rarity was looking over the Cloudsdale team uniforms, offering some critiques.

Rainbow’s happiness reached Sonic Rainboom-levels when she looked over to see Spitfire, Fleetfoot and Soarin’ (his wing still in a cast) looking her way. Spitfire nodded and the trio gave her a crisp wing salute. She returned it, her heart almost bursting with pride. Turning back to her friends, she felt her eyes moistening with liquid pride. “Thanks you guys for … for being so awesome.”

“After all the times you’ve been there for us, this is the least we could do,” Twilight smiled. “It doesn’t matter to us if you fly for Ponyville, Cloudsdale or even the Moon. Just so long as you’re putting your heart into doing what you love, we’ll be there to support you all the way.”

“Congratulations sugarcube. You more than earned this.” Applejack nudged her, pouring a mug of apple cider. “Here’s to you bringing home the gold!”

“Cheers!” The group exclaimed as they tapped their mugs together.


Dear Diary,

I used to think that my friends were the sole embodiment of the Elements of Harmony. I had forgotten that those virtues: magic, honesty, kindness, generosity, laughter and loyalty—mean nothing even they aren’t shared and reciprocated. Just because Rainbow Dash is the Element of Loyalty, that doesn’t mean the rest of us aren’t loyal. If loyalty isn’t a two-way street, then it just becomes servitude, not friendship. We had become so used to thinking of Rainbow as ‘the loyal one’ that we put her into a position where she felt obligated to do what we wanted her to—regardless of what she really wanted. But friendship means sometimes letting your friends do something on their own--but always being near to cheer them on. If that’s what makes them happy, then it’s what’ll make you happy and make your friendship even stronger.

-Twilight Sparkle

THE END

Comments ( 11 )

Another solid story, and I have to admit I like the split ending, because it really shows the strength and diversity of Rainbow and her friends. All in all, rock-solid Rainbow Dash-ness.

I must say that I like this ending idk why I guess because it teaches them more of a better lesson
awesome story :rainbowdetermined2:

Wow, both endings work.:pinkiecrazy:

5813596 I actually find the episode as is to be my third favorite of the season, and the best Rainbow Dash episode as well.
In fact, I actually think that it works perfectly the way it is. Yes, I just called Rainbow Falls perfect.
I've come up with explanations for why everything in the episode works exactly the way it is, or at least why it doesn't bother me...

To put this in perspective, while many people feel that Rarity Takes Manehatten is one of the better episodes of the season, it's in my bottom 4 for the season and my least favorite Rarity episode overall.

I love this so much! Well done.

I thought you might like to know that I have spotlighted this story over in the YMLT group. :twilightsmile: Also, since I am an idiot a bit forgetful, despite actually doing a mini review of this I never commented - so have the mini-review in it's entirety:

I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much out of this story. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is a subtle and almost introspective re-write of Rainbow Falls, that not only improves on the original episode significantly, but does so twice. That's right folks - this story has two endings, and both are pretty much perfectly executed. Definitely go read this.

God, this is so much better than the actual episode it's not even funny.

That's one evil picture of Rainbow Dash you have.

Ok yeah the alternative is quite fine (and makes too much sense lol). This really touched on something I'd thought about, mostly in passing, on various occasions. Glad I took the time to read this one.

Interesting

Comment posted by EmmyRosie5 deleted Aug 11th, 2017
Login or register to comment