• Published 20th Dec 2014
  • 7,236 Views, 65 Comments

Empty Lake, Full Sky - Shaud



Sunset Shimmer: Canterlot's most hated person. Faced with just too much to handle, Sunset decides the world--both worlds-- would be better off without her...

  • ...
7
 65
 7,236

The Empty Head

When they reached the Apple house, Sunset was almost overwhelmed with the thick smells coming from the house. It smelled like one of the feasts back in Equestria that Sunset had always tried to sneak away from. Apples, dough, meat... Okay, that last one was different, but not altogether unpleasant.

"Cheerilee!" Rainbow ran ahead into the dining room while Applejack set Sunset in a sitting position on the floor, in front of a roaring fire, and wrapped a large quilt around her. Both girls' clothes were wet, causing them both to shiver, but Applejack didn't stop until Cheerilee took over.

Sunset was shivering so bad that her teeth chattered. She realized numbly that she still had Applejack's jacket clutched to her chest, the only completely warm thing on her body.

"Oh, you poor things!" Cheerilee sat next to Sunset and looked her over. "Big Mac, go start a hot bath. Rainbow, Applejack, change into some different clothes and then come back and help me in here." The teacher turned to Sunset when the others were gone. "We need to get you out of those clothes."

Any other time and I would have made a 'teacher on student' joke. Sunset thought to herself, but at that moment she could barely breathe, let alone be snarky.

The next thing she knew, Cheerilee had stripped her down to her underwear and wrapped the quilt back around her. Cheerilee seemed more distraught then than she had at the beginning, but Sunset couldn't understand why. She didn't have the strength to ask.

"Whaddya need help with now?" Applejack was back, dressed in her pajamas. Rainbow wasn't far behind wearing an over-sized T-shirt of Big Mac's and basketball shorts.

"We need to get her upstairs. Big Mac! That bath ready?"

"Eeyup!"

"Applejack, can you carry her upstairs?"

The blonde teen nodded, picking up Sunset once again and maneuvering her through the living room and to the stairs.

"M-m-my hero." Sunset smiled weakly, causing Applejack to laugh. The others hadn't heard her. Cheerilee leaned over and whispered something in Applejack's ear, causing the blonde girl's eyes to widen. Applejack nodded, and Sunset had no idea what the teacher had said but was too tired to care.

When they got to the top of the stairs Applejack swapped places with Big Mac, who politely left the room and shut the door behind him.

"Cheerilee says ya need a hot bath ta keep yer temperature up." Applejack stood Sunset on her feet, but the other girl had a hard time staying up.

B-bath?Sunset thought, her mind growing fuzzy again, a-as in w-water? Despite her original feelings towards drowning, Sunset began to fear the possibility of going near water again. Drowning had hurt, God dammit! That, and now she was beginning to doubt the credibility of her original motives.

Applejack must have seen the worried look on her face because she wrapped her arms around the shorter girl and looked her in the eyes. "Hey, no need to worry. I've got ya." She smiled, and Sunset smiled back. Tentatively, Applejack took the blanket from Sunset and helped her into the bath, keeping her underwear on.

Sunset hissed as the hot water hit her skin, but after a moment she leaned back into the water. Her breathing became easier and she finally stopped shivering. She crossed her arms over her stomach and closed her eyes with a grimace. At the time she had done it, she was so sure that ending her life was the best solution to her problem. She thought that no one would miss her, especially not Applejack and Rainbow of all people. Now, however, she saw that she was wrong. She was surprised that they had cared enough to fish her out of the lake. Add on to the fact that Cheerilee had helped her without batting an eye...

How did I screw up again? She wondered, exasperated, There really isn't anything I can do right, is there?

A knock at the door made her open her tired eyes. Applejack jumped up and answered the knock. Sunset heard Cheerilee's voice, but couldn't quite make out the words. After a moment Applejack left, and Cheerilee walked in, looking uncertain.

"Sunset Shimmer," She asked gently, "When was the last time you ate?"

As in, food? Sunset blinked at the question. "T-taco Tuesday." She she said simply. Cheerilee's eyes widened, and Sunset was confused. What was so bad about Taco Tuesday?

"It's Friday, Sunset. Are you telling me you haven't eaten in three days?"

"Uh, yeah." Sunset's hoarse voice was barely above a whisper, "That's not that long, is it? I've gone longer." She couldn't understand why Cheerilee seemed so upset about this. Maybe it was because she was still suffering from lack of oxygen, but Cheerilee's worry seemed so misplaced directed at her.

"Sunset, most people eat three meals a day."

Well, shit. Yup. Lack of oxygen to the brain. Sunset's eyebrows drew together.

"Oh." Was all she said in response. She looked down at her crossed arms and realized why Cheerilee looked so concerned. Her stomach looked hallow, and her ribs and collar bone stuck out sharply. It was obvious she didn't eat well. She hadn't really noticed herself, especially not since looking in a mirror began to terrify her...

Too bad therapy was so expensive.

"Well, when you're done in here we're get you some fresh clothes and some food." She seemed to want to say more, but shook her head.

Sunset sighed. Once again she was being a burden on others. She began to remember why she wanted to die. It seemed that this whole night was just an echo of all the reasons she believed she was worthless. A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts, and Applejack stepped in with a change of clothes. Several moments later Sunset found herself at a table covered in leftovers. Apple pies, salads, soups... They all looked delicious and made her stomach growl.

"These are all of the vegetarian dishes we had." Applejack seemed apologetic, which made Sunset laugh. With a glance at the table, the others began to laugh as well. "Maybe it'll be enough." Applejack teased.

As Sunset began to eat, the others were in and out of the kitchen, never leaving her alone. Which made sense, all things considered. Applejack and Cheerilee kept disappearing together, which made her think they were up to something.

For the moment, though, she didn't care. She had a full belly and a warm place to be. If this is what friendship is... It's not so bad... She laid her head down on the table with these thoughts, and soon drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note:

I'm thinking a slow build up to AppleSet. I haven't seen it yet, and with this story it would make sense :3

Comments ( 50 )

I'm thinking a slow build up to AppleSet. I haven't seen it yet, and with this story it would make sense :3

cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/20024028.jpg

AppleSet? Silly Shaud, Sunset X her human counterpart is OTP.

I will let it slide this one time though because every ship should have at least one story devoted to it and I can indeed not remember seeing this one anywhere before.

THIS IS SO ORIGINAL!!!!!:pinkiesad2:...

5418816 I have converted you! YUS! My plan for world domination is taking shape! Mwahaha!

In all seriousness though, while I do like Sunset/Shimmer, that was really only done for that one fic. In others I like them as, like, separated twins. Ever seen Twitches? That's kinda how I imagine them xD

But don't get me wrong, I still love the ship! Lol, and yes, every ship should have at least one story dedicated to it. I've seen some odder ones here on Fim to prove it xD

5420590 Wait a minute... *checks author* Oh so that story was from you too! I honestly didn't notice. With all the Sunset Shimmer stories I'm reading these days it's all starting to blur together and your lack of an avatar isn't helping matters. :twilightblush:

5420702 Lol, I know how you feel.

Yeah, I need an avatar... I want to upload an image of my own to do it, but that would require me learning how to use our scanner xD

5420728 I used a picture of best human ;3

5420824 Both are fine by me really. :twilightsmile:

I don't know if I really like AJ a lot, but so far this story is great and changing my mind. I can't believe that I am saying this but I'm rooting for AJ and Sunset. Great story.

"M-m-my hero." Sunset smiled weakly, causing Applejack to laugh. The others hadn't heard her. Cheerilee leaned over and whispered something in Applejack's ear, causing the blonde girl's eyes to widen. Applejack nodded, and Sunset had no idea what the teacher had said but was too tired to care.

Well i don´t know, i know there is a romance involved, but somehow it seems a bit excessive, that "m-m-my hero", even if she is weak right now, it doesn´t fit her personality.


It is a really interessting story, i don´t know what could probably went wrong, but i hope you keep up the good work i really like it.

5434454 You deserve a cookie ;D That line in particular will become important veeeryyy sooooon...... I can't say anymore, or it will give away too much... :heart:

5434498 yaaaaay, a cookie makes me always happy:pinkiehappy:.......no really, i know some yummy cookies, i just need to remember the names of some new ones i had the first time this winter:applejackunsure:

It is always nice to know if i accidently discover something important, should that actually be a hint?, now i am interessted if i just could guess more behind that simple sentence.:raritystarry:

No it is alright, i want it to be a suprise, what happens next and all.

I probably said it already, but good job.

I like the expression on the face of your Sunset Avatar, it looks funny that way.

5434839 Cookies are nice, yup yup yup!

Well, I'll tell you (and anyone else reading this comment) that Sunset saying that to Applejack isn't meaningless ;3 I'm not usually good at foreshadowing or ironic echoes, but this one... hehehe...

5434858 i haven´t read much from you yet, but it looks interessting and i plan to read them, what i mean is i think i follow you for now.:twilightsmile:

Well, it's certainly a strange pair. But hey, at long it's well written, I'll gladly read it.

5500449 On the contrary, SunShy has got to be one of the top 3 most widespread Sunset pairings. I wouldn't mind if it was only now and then as you claim it is, but this is a real epidemic.

"Well, when you're done in here we're get you some fresh clothes and some food."

we'll get you some...? we're going to get you some...?

also, laughed at the well, shit moment. hope you elaborate more about how she's gone longer than three days without eating. not having money for it, or magical biology from equestria makes eating less important and she didn't got the memo it wasn't like that on this world?
edit: you just made the tracking list.

Does this fic have Cheerimac?

5516599 Indeed it does!

When can we expect the next chapter for this?

5534255 I have it about halfway done, I'm just at a bit of a crossroads on what direction to take it (I have two ideas, both totaly opposites yet would go about the same way... You'll understand when I post it >.<)

Short answer: Before next Wednsday.

If all goes well, it could go up this Friday. If all doesn't go well... Like I said, Wednsday should be the latest. On the one hand I want this to be my own decision, but on the other I kinda want feedback on the idea... I'm stuck >.<

Judjing from some pf the comments there shall be feelz

If you know me ill just go ahead and give you a mustache
5435198

I'm always up for new Sunset Shimmer pairings! Also I like sad things so this has both of those! You had me at Slow buildup to AppleSet. Fav'd,upvoted can't wait for the next chapter!

I am just wondering when the next chapter is going to be out

5884552 Cheerilee is a family friend in this fic, so Applejack very well could call her that.

And the elements have human counterparts, as seen in the movies, and Applejack is the counterpart to the Element of Honesty. As seen in the movies.

Major thumbs down for this shit piece.

5418816 OTP? Whats that mean?

Eight months since the last update? Well, I am an eternal optimist, so I shall hold out hope for more updates.

6093735 Congrats! your comment now has more downvotes than the story! ^~^

It's a shame this got cancelled. :pinkiesad2:

How does adoption of a story work? I've wondering this ever since this got put up for adoption. Let me say now, that I'm not interested in adopting it for the simple fact that I'm no writer and would be unable to do the story justice. I'm just wondering, how will I know when the story has been adopted? Also, when the story is adopted, will the new author just continue off of what you've already writen, or will they rewright it or something like that? Or is it nothing like any of that and it just means you're giving people permission to use your story as a springboard for their own? I've been reading fanfics for less than a year and am still learning, so forgive my ignorance.

Shaud #39 · Sep 8th, 2015 · · 1 ·

6399889

How does adoption of a story work?
I'm just wondering, how will I know when the story has been adopted? Also, when the story is adopted, will the new author just continue off of what you've already writen, or will they rewright it or something like that? Or is it nothing like any of that and it just means you're giving people permission to use your story as a springboard for their own?

Well, actually adoption of a story can work in any of those ways!

Most often, the new writer would pick up where I left off. However they may re-write the story themselves if they wanted (preferably if they told me they would do so). I also welcome other writers to use it for their own ideas! I like inspiring other people to write through my works, especially one like this where I know people like it but I myself can't seem to continue it.

And if someone adopts this I will probably edit the description and post a blog update for it (for those still following).

6404570
Thank you for the explanation.

I'll adopt it! Even if my plate is full of other stuff i'm working on…

But those are all at a standstill anyway.

6488527 Okay! If you want to you can :D I might use parts of it in a future story but you're totally welcome to take this :D

So why did you cancel this?

6556664 I'm working on other stories, including a multi-story series! This may get re-done one day, just any time soon.

I could probably adopt this story. I've run out of ideas for new stories anyways. :applejackunsure::twilightsheepish:

Can more than one person adopt this story? After all, I am interested in giving it a go. And if you let me adopt this story, is it ok if I make a few changes on it? Promise to give you credit.

How would one go about adopting this, if that is still possible?

when is the continuation The author?

I know that this story was posted a long time ago and already has a few people who have adopted it but I would also love to try to adopt it while adding my own spin on it. I already have some ideas but it may not be amazing considering the fact that this would be my first my little pony story I have ever wrote (unless you count the ones I wrote when I was 7 and gave up on) and it would be my first story on here. It also may have some bad to horrible grammar considering the fact I edited my own stories with my only help being my younger sister. Also just a warning that this will most likely take a few months because school is starting in a week and I am a writer for my school newspaper so I’ll have to find time between doing those and managing my life to try and write this story. Wish me luck and hope that it doesn’t end up being trash and/or I give up on it.

Login or register to comment