• Published 14th Dec 2014
  • 9,849 Views, 333 Comments

The Nutcracker and the Chaos King - DisneyFanatic23



On Hearth's Warming Eve, Fluttershy receives a nutcracker who is under a curse. When night falls, the Chaos King who put him under the curse comes in the night. Fluttershy and the nutcracker must venture into the Land of Sweets to defeat him.

  • ...
14
 333
 9,849

Chaos Undone

Fluttershy watched in horror as the sword plunged into Discord's side. The amulet around his neck glowed as it cracked. Then it exploded, knocking Discord to the floor.

"No!" Fluttershy cried out.

She was suddenly freed from her paralysis and knelt down beside the wounded king. He was not dead yet, but was wincing in pain. Fluttershy looked up at the nutcracker in disbelief.

"Why did you do that?!"

Shining Armor gazed down at the dying creature in guilt. "I was trying to prove a theory."

Rainbow put her hooves on her hips. "You do realize that if that theory was wrong, you could've stabbed Fluttershy?!"

"Hey, I was choking! I didn't really have much time to think it through! I thought he'd just stop the blade from flying. I didn't think he'd…"

"He made the choice," Twilight said hoarsely. "By defying the Chaos Amulet, he destroyed it."

"But…" Fluttershy whimpered. "Why stab himself?"

"To keep you safe," Discord whispered, opening his bloodshot eyes. "I said I wanted to make you happy, and the only thing keeping you away from happiness…was me."

As he steadied his breathing, Fluttershy tried to blink back her tears.

"The Chaos Amulet wanted me to destroy you," he heaved. "And I…couldn't bear…to let that happen."

He gazed up at her and reached out his claw. She held it as she allowed him to caress her face and wipe away her tears.

"My only regret," he choked, "is that I could never get you to love me."

She gave him a soft smile and gently stroked his cheek. "I wouldn't…say never."

He shook his head. "You gave me a second chance…and I blew it."

"I'm willing to give you another."

He winced as the pain took over. "It's too late for that."

He opened his eyes when he felt hot tears on his face and saw Fluttershy leaning towards him. She stroked his cheek once more and whispered:

"It's never too late."

Every pony gasped as Fluttershy planted a soft kiss on Discord's lips. What was more shocking was the event that followed.

Their lips started glowing pink and as Fluttershy pulled away, that glow began spreading across Discord's face. Her eyes widened in amazement as the magic moved down Discord's neck, across his chest and to his wounds. Her jaw dropped as the wounds slowly closed up.

When the glow vanished, Discord let out a gasp as if he had been underwater. He sat up and looked down at his side.

"What the…?" he uttered. "I…I feel…" He smiled brightly. "Brilliant!" Then he frowned. "And confused."

The onlookers nodded as they scratched their scalps.

"I know we have weird magic stuff and all," Rainbow said, "but what the hay just happened?"

"The Jewel of Kindness."

"Huh?" everyone said as they turned to Twilight, who was wearing a knowing grin.

"Like I said: chaos undone by the Jewel of Kindness."

"But I saw Discord destroy the necklace!" Spike declared.

Twilight chuckled. "I never said it was an actual jewel."

"Huh?" Discord repeated. "But your vision…you showed me the necklace!"

"I showed you a mare wearing a necklace. You just assumed the necklace was the jewel."

Sweetie Belle gasped. "Hey, I get it! Fluttershy! You're the Jewel of Kindness!"

"What?" Fluttershy uttered.

"That necklace was only a shield," Twilight said as she stepped forth. "You were the one with the power all along."

"Of course," Discord whispered. "In the cave, when you tended to my wounds, I thought I had accidentally healed them myself! But you…" He took her hooves as he gazed at her in awe. "Your kindness was what healed them."

Fluttershy shook her head. "But I don't understand!"

"Chaos causes confusion and destruction," Twilight explained. "Only a pony who approaches it with kindness and compassion can tame it. Your infinite capacity for love gives you the power to calm any corrupted being."

"Why didn't you tell me all this before?!" Discord demanded accusingly.

The unicorn smirked. "You didn't ask."

He let out an exasperated sigh and smiled down at Fluttershy. "You know what? I'm glad you didn't tell me. Otherwise, I wouldn't have…"

He trailed off as he recalled his past deeds and frowned. "Oh, who am I kidding? Maybe you think less terribly of me, but I doubt you could…"

Fluttershy's lips cut him off. He looked down at her with wide eyes. Many of the onlookers cringed. Rainbow and Scootaloo were about ready to gag. Sweetie Belle, Applebloom and the Tri-Pies let out a collective sigh.

When she pulled away, Discord blinked a few times to process what had just happened.

"Really?"

Fluttershy nodded. "Really. You know, as long as you stop with the evil overlord charade…"

"No problem!" He glanced nervously at Shining Armor and Cadence. "Err…that is, if I'm not thrown in the dungeon…"

"I think getting stabbed in the gut was punishment enough," the Sugar Plum Princess said with a smirk. "Although, the damages you made are going to take a while to clean up…"

He sighed. "Okay, okay, I get it."

"But for now, I'd say a celebration is in order."

"PARTY!" the Pie family cheered.

"But wait a minute," Cadence said as she glanced mischievously at Shining Armor. "There's still one loose end that needs tying up."

She grabbed the nutcracker and kissed him passionately. Shining Armor moaned in gratitude as his wooden body slowly returned to flesh. The crowd applauded as the couple deepened their kiss.

"Eh," Pinkie shrugged. "The other kiss was more epic."


It took five minutes for the Pies to set up the party, due to their infinitely stocked party cannons. The blast from Cadence's crystal heart had cleared the heads of the Diamond Dogs, and they were dancing with the ponies as if they were old friends.

Spike watched as many males asked the females to dance and vice versa. He saw General Flash holding out his hoof to Twilight with a bow, making the unicorn giggle. He saw Rarity dragging Fancy Pants, one of Discord's former servants, onto the dance floor. On the other side of the courtyard, he spotted the soldier Soarin tipping his hat off to Rainbow Dash, who was leaning against the wall with her hooves crossed.

"Come on, miss," he pleaded. "One dance wouldn't hurt."

"Still not happening, dude," she groaned.

Soarin frowned but then smirked when an idea occurred to him. "Okay. I understand if you're not much for dancing…"

Rainbow snapped her head around to face him. "Huh?"

"I get it. Not all mares can dance. It's cool."

"Now hold up! I didn't say I couldn't dance!"

"Can you?" Soarin said as he looked boringly at his hoof.

"Alright, smart guy!" Rainbow exclaimed as she grabbed his hoof. "Prepare to eat your words!"

The stallion pumped his foreleg and mouthed, "Yes!"

"But I'm leading!" she declared.

"Lead the way then, ma'am!"

Spike laughed at the scene but quieted down when he heard laughter beside him. He turned to see Applejack leaning against the wall.

"Hi," he said nervously.

"Howdy, partner," she replied with a tip of her hat.

The dragon looked down at his foot as it made a circle in the ground. "Say, uh…that was really cool how you…beat those Diamond Dogs and…saved me and stuff."

She smiled. "No problem."

"I mean I still could've taken them out myself with these bad boys!" he boasted, flexing his muscles. "But, you know, you got there before me and it was…cool. Very cool."

"Right," she said with a smirk.

He twiddled his fingers and glanced between her and the dancers. "You know…with all these ponies and dogs dancing…you wouldn't happen to wanna…?"

She cocked her head. "How old are ya?"

"Eighteen."

Applejack raised an eyebrow.

"Seventeen?" Spike said unsurely.

Her eyebrow went up further.

"Sixteen? Fifteen?"

She shook her head with a chuckle.

"I'm short for my age!"

Nevertheless, she held out her hoof. "Well, I suppose one dance wouldn't hurt."

Out of all the couples on the dance floor, the most unlikely one stood out. Fluttershy wore the ballerina outfit Discord had conjured earlier while he wore a sparkling red leotard. With ever dip and twirl, Fluttershy giggled in delight.

"This dance is certainly better than our first," she said.

"Are you talking about the dream one or…?" Discord asked.

"The actual first."

He laughed with her and then his expression became serious.

"Fluttershy," he said slowly, "I've been thinking…"

He stopped their dancing and guided her hooves so that she could hover in front of him. Many heads turned when he dropped to one knee.

"Fluttershy," he said again. "You saved me. Not just from death, but from darkness. I may not be a king anymore, but…I would still very much like to have you as my wife. So say you'll marry me? Properly, this time?"

Fluttershy gasped slightly. He and everyone else awaited her answer in anticipation.

"Discord," she said, choking on her words. "I…I do love you, but…I think we should wait. You just became reformed, after all, and…there are things between us that still need patching up."

He sighed in sadness. "I understand. But…if you won't marry me…would you at least stay? In the Land of Sweets?"

"Oh, yes!" Pinkie chimed. "Stay! Stay! We can make everyday a party!"

"And we'll have so much fun!" the Tri-Pies exclaimed.

"You are welcome to stay," the Sugar Plum Princess said with a smile. "After all, you are our hero."

Fluttershy grinned as she glanced around at them. "You are all so wonderful. This whole place is wonderful! I've never had so many friends! But…"

She frowned and hung her head. Discord stood up and lifted her chin in concern.

"But what?" he asked gently.

"Well," she replied. "If I never go home, my parents will wonder where I went, and my brother and godmother will surely miss me. While I would love to stay with all of you, I…I'm just not ready to leave home yet."

She turned to Discord. "I'm really sorry, but…"

"Shhh," he said, placing his fingers over her lips. "It's alright. I understand."

"We all do," Shining Armor said.

"But I'm afraid I can't send you back now. I may still have some power left, but not enough to get you to your world."

"But I know a way," Cadence said as she walked up to Fluttershy.

"You do?" Fluttershy beseeched.

"Yes. And I will tell you once you're ready."

Fluttershy turned to her friends who all had tears in their eyes. "Oh my. It…it's not going to be easy to say goodbye."

"Then don't say it," Rainbow said, wrapping her hooves around her.

"Yeah," Applejack agreed, joining in on the hug. "Just say…see ya later."

"But will I ever see you all again?" Fluttershy asked.

"You'll certainly see us again," Rarity said as she and Sweetie Belle embraced her.

"Uh-huh," the younger doll sniffed. "We'll be right there on the shelf, watching over you."

"But promise you'll play with us every now and then! That cabinet can get really dusty! And don't ever give us away, even when you're a hundred and fifty!"

"I won't," Fluttershy swore.

She yelped as Pinkie and her daughters tackled her.

"Don't forget us, okay?!" Pinkie squeaked.

Fluttershy giggled. "It won't be easy to forget you."

"But you won't, will you?"

She shook her head. "No."

Once the Pies were off her, Fluttershy rose to face Shining Armor. He returned her smile as he embraced her.

"I am indebted to you," he declared. "Not only have you reunited me with Cadence, but you've saved my home."

"It was nothing," Fluttershy said as she pulled away. "You've saved me a few times too."

He shook his head. "No. That was all you."

She blushed and then turned to Discord. He looked the most devastated and it made her heart grow heavy.

"Discord, I…"

She was cut off as he pulled her in for a passionate embrace and started sobbing. She moaned as she snaked her hooves around him.

"I'll miss you the most," she whispered.

"This isn't the last time we'll see each other," he swore. "No matter where you are, I'll always find my way to you. And when you're ready," he pulled away to gaze into her eyes, "I'll come and take you away."

She smiled and then flew up to kiss him one last time. Then she turned readily to the Sugar Plum Princess.

"You will see us again," she assured her while shooting Shining Armor a knowing glance. "Very soon, I think."

"So how do I get back home?" Fluttershy asked.

"Ooh, ooh!" Pinkie cried. "I know this one! You have to click your hooves together three times and say: 'There's no place like home! There's no place like home!'"

"You're really wearing out the references, sweetie," Cheese whispered.

Cadence shook her head. "No, no, no. The way to get back is much simpler, and you have the power to do it."

"How?" Fluttershy asked again.

The princess smiled. "Just open your eyes."

Fluttershy blinked and when her eyes opened, everything was sideways. She sat up and looked around. She was back in her living room, sitting on the red velvet couch, the Hearth's Warming tree shining brightly in the middle of the room.

"Hearth's Warming, Hearth's Warming, Hearth's Warming!" a cheerful, familiar voice shouted.

She watched as her brother came into view and rushed to the tree.

"Fluttershy, it's Hearth's Warming!" he exclaimed, bouncing up and down. "Time to open presents!"

Fluttershy blinked again, realizing that it was still Hearth's Warming. Not a day had passed.

"Come on, come on, come on!" Button shouted. "Aren't you excited?"

She groaned as she put her hoof to her head. "I just had the most amazing dream. My nutcracker came to life and there was this Chaos King that was after my necklace, and…"

She paused when she touched her neck and found that it was bare. She searched around the couch, lifting the cushions and realized her nutcracker was gone too.

"Button, you didn't take my necklace or my nutcracker, did you?"

He cocked his head. "What would I want with your junky old necklace and your ugly doll?"

"It's not a junky old necklace and he's not an ugly doll!"

"Well, I see you two are already starting on presents," Mrs. Mash laughed as she and her husband entered the room.

"Mother, Father!" Fluttershy exclaimed, rushing to them. "My necklace and nutcracker are gone!"

"Now calm down," her father said. "You must have dropped them while you were sleeping."

"No! I can't find them anywhere!"

"Is everything alright in here?" Luna asked upon entering.

"Aunt Luna! Have you seen my…?"

Fluttershy paused when a stallion appeared from behind her godmother. He was a white unicorn stallion with blue hair and eyes.

"…nutcracker?" she finished.

"What's all the commotion?" said a voice as sweet as honey.

Fluttershy's jaw dropped when a tall, pink alicorn appeared at the stallion's side. Her mane was yellow, purple and pink, and her purple eyes were kind and all too familiar.

"Fluttershy, Button," Luna said with a smile. "This is my niece, Cadence, the one I was telling you about. And this is her fiancé, Shining Armor."

"It's so nice to finally meet you," Cadence said with a curtsy. "Aunt Luna's told me so much about you."

"Miss," Shining Armor said with a bow.

Fluttershy stared at them for a moment and then returned their bows.

"Yes," she said unsurely. "Nice to meet you…too."

Every pony turned their heads when a cry was heard from the hallway.

"Luna!" shouted a deep, male voice. "This coatrack is trying to kill me!"

The young couple laughed.

"Who is that?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, he's an old friend of the family," Cadence explained. "He insisted on coming."

"Especially when he heard about you," Shining Armor said with a wink.

When the third guest entered the room, Fluttershy's breath was stolen from her.

The gray stallion was a unicorn with a thin black mane. What was unusual about him was not just his blue horn, but his eyes. They were completely yellow, except for the red pupils. The moment Fluttershy locked gaze with them, everything else in the world around her melted away.

The strange stallion gave her a smile. "You must be Luna's charming goddaughter."

That voice. It sent a familiar chill up her spine and accelerated her heartbeat. It took a few seconds for her to find words.

"F-F-Fluttershy," she stammered.

She inhaled deeply as he slowly took her hoof.

"Discord," he said.

She blinked. "What?"

"My name is Discord. I must say, it's not every day I have the pleasure of meeting a mare as…lovely as yourself."

He raised her hoof to his lips and kissed it lightly. It took a moment for Fluttershy to process what was happening. Then she gave a nervous smile.

"The p-p-pleasure is all mine…Discord."

The adults all shared knowing glances while Button just tilted his head in confusion.

"Um, Mrs. Mash!" Cadence piped. "Do you need any help in setting the table for breakfast?"

"Oh, yes, of course!" Mrs. Mash exclaimed. "Luna, why don't you help us?"

"Me too!" Shining Armor said quickly.

"Come on, dear," Mrs. Mash whispered to her husband.

"Uh, just out of curiosity," Mr. Mash muttered to Luna, "how old is he?"

"Old enough," Luna replied bluntly.

As the other adults quietly left the room, Luna grabbed Button's hoof.

"But…the presents!" he protested.

Fluttershy and the strange stallion were alone and for a while, neither of them said anything. The more she looked into his unusual eyes, the more confused she became.

"Have we met?" she asked softly.

He smirked. "I think I'd remember meeting some pony like you. The real question: would you have remembered me?"

She blinked, unsure of how to respond.

"I have something for you," he announced.

His horn glowed and something emerged from his coat pocket. Fluttershy gasped as a necklace with a pink butterfly pendant fell into her hooves.

"Where did you…?" she started to say.

"Here," he said, moving behind her. "Let me put it on for you."

She pulled back her hair, allowing him to close the chain's clasp. She looked back at him, her eyes swimming with questions. His horn glowed again and music filled the air.

"Oh, how convenient," he chuckled.

Then he bowed and held out his hoof. "May I have the honor of dancing with you, Miss Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy stared at his hoof and then into his red and yellow eyes. It was quite impossible, but deep in her heart, she knew. His form was different, probably to appear less frightening in front of her parents, but when she gazed into those odd yet beautiful eyes, she knew it was him.

"Of course," she replied, accepting his hoof with a smile, "your majesty."

He gave a wink before pulling her into a waltz.

As they danced around the room, neither of them saw the dark alicorn watching from the doorway. Luna smiled proudly at the young couple.

"Well done, my dear," she whispered. "Well done."

Author's Note:

Maybe the ending was too abrupt. Well, I was going for the traditional "Was it all a dream?" ending like in the original story. I thought of having all the characters from the Land of Sweets appearing, but figured that might've been too much. I feel bad making Discord a pony in the end, but him showing up as himself would've frightened Fluttershy's parents. So he's just disguised for convenience.

Yep, some of you guessed the bit about the Jewel of Kindness. Was it really that predictable? I really hope this revival scene wasn't as quick as my last one. I don't know. I felt not much else was needed to be said and I think the little bit of mystery in the end works for this story.

Well, technically this was finished before the end of winter. Didn't think it'd last this long. Anyway, that's one unfinished FanFic down, three to go. Now, which one should I work on next?

Comments ( 64 )

Trust me, this was a great ending and I wouldn't have it any other way. And I also loved how it was like barbie and the nutcracker. that was my favorite movie when i was little and still watch it sometimes. this was a great story and you should be proud of it :ajsmug: thank you for sticking to it and i can't wait for the chapters of your other stories! :pinkiehappy:

Adorable! Just to clarify, that is really Discord (the Chaos King) dancing with Fluttershy at the end, right? Just asking.

5734382 Well, of course it is. Unless Discord's a common name and this unicorn just happens to have yellow eyes with red pupils.:yay:

*starts clapping* bravo! I can't wait what else you have store in the future!

Do we even have to say son in law of discord?

5734388 Just checking. XD :pinkiehappy:

*runs around house making unintelligible noises* THE STORY IS DONE...but...now I don't have Fluttercord to comfort me...

...come back to me, my glorious Fluttercord... :heart:

I loved the ending so much! The final chapter closes on another successful story. Can't wait for the next.

Oh and to answer your question which story you should work on next I suggest, Son-in-Law Discord.

DF for out done yourself!
There are no works on how amazing this story is.

I suggest working on Son in Law of Discord next.

I liked this revival scene better than the one in Daughter of Discord for two reasons:
1. It was shorter, so it didn't outstay it's welcome;
2. It was necessary for the story.

That was an awesome ending! And I liked that Discord was disguised as a pony! And you were right, Fluttershy's parents would have freaked out lol! This story was completely AWESOME!!......and what to work on next.....um I don't know......maybe......Son in Law of Discord?.....ehehe.......um......Anyways! Yeah I loved this and I'm so happy you make so many Fluttercord stories! There isn't very many or it's just me and I've read them all lol! I can't wait to see more from you!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

TANGLED! THE WIZARD OF OZ! Dang it, references!
Is the Discord pony the same as Discord-the-former-Chaos-King? Does he have his memories? And what about Cadence? And Shining? AND THE REST OF THE CAST, GOSH DARN IT!
I love this! But it ended too abruptly! Like, WAAAIIIII DF?!
Sorry, rant over. Nice story!

pleasant ending

WORK ON SON OF DISCORD!!! Plz might explode if wait any longer! :pinkiehappy:

The ending was perfect! I actually think the original was more confusing than this one because Cadence has the ability to transport everypony to Fluttershy's world, since she's the Sugar Plum Princess and they're all unicorns or alicorns. In the original, there's no explanation how the nutcracker came to the human world or whether he was ever a nutcracker begin with. It's implied but not obvious.

I also love how you perceive Rainbow and Sorin's relationship "But I'm leading!" Of course you are Rainbow :rainbowlaugh:

And I like how you reversed Spike and Applejack's roles so that Spike is the one who has a major crush and Applejack is just trying to humor him.

All and all, a great adaption of my favorite Ballet. :heart:

Great ending! In the balett I always got uneasy if the guy was really the nutcracker and it was a relif to know that the pony Discord is really the Discord from the other world! :yay:

Loved this!

Also, Son in Law, please:pinkiehappy:

I've reread the ending with Shining, Cadence, and Discord three times. It's that beautiful. Thank you for giving me one of the best Fluttercord fics with its great detail and character development. I don't know how you do it, but I don't care. I'm gonna go cry now... Happy tears!!!! :pinkiesad2::yay::raritystarry::twilightsmile:

Ohmygoshohmygosh its DONE!! YAY AND NUUU! Hm..... You have to do....Son in Law?......CMC?.....Well at least it's Fluttercord!:pinkiehappy:

Hmm... Son In Law please! We left with a cliffhanger on that one.

it's official!!!!! this is my FAVORITE FANFIC EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LUV U DISNEY FANATIC!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiecrazy::pinkiehappy::heart::trollestia::raritystarry::rainbowkiss::scootangel:

Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015
Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015
Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015
Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015
Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015
Comment posted by Starlight Shine 27 deleted Apr 21st, 2015

5891204 Okay...I got it the first time.

5891597 sorry I wrote the comment but it didn't post as quickly as I thought:twilightblush::twilightoops:

:yay: I :heart: the ending… great story. I'm just sad it is over. :fluttercry:

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

AHHH *cries tears of joy turning the floor into an ocean*

One question though.

WHY NO CELESTIA?!

:twilightsheepish:

5924915 Shrug. I couldn't really fit her anywhere in the story.

Is there fluttercord in this story?:pinkiehappy: :applejackunsure: :rainbowhuh:

6010803 the writer´s Disney Fanatic 2364. you don´t need to ask

It would be kind of cool to see a reading of this story on youtube. :twilightsmile:

Oh, I have an idea for a sequel (that is, if you want the story of the nutcracker and the chaos king to continue) so can I please have your permission to write a sequel please please PLEASE :fluttercry:

please let there be a sequel

6252834 did you not read my comment? and I'm quite surprised that DF hasn't replied to it yet

Loved. It. Seriously, this is one of my absolute favourite Fluttercord stories ever! Although no surprise since you're also the writer of my other favourite Fluttercord stories! :pinkiehappy:

Personally, I loved this story. I know I'm late to finishing this but whatever. Anyways, I was excited when I found out about this Christmas special. Fluttercord is one of my MLP OTPs. Applespike and Flashlight being first

FlutterCord is now officially second best OTP, CheesiePie being number one.

It was a good story, but every good story has a few flaws, I mean, the whole battle scene where you started shipping everypony else with others was a bit much and I thought it would've been better to not have that all in one chapter and during a battle of all things. Despite that however, I loved how you did all of the characters. I was pretty excited when you were writing from Cadence's point of view as well. Not many can write her character very well, but you have a talent for writing out pony characters. You did an awesome job in keeping them true to themselves. And, well, to be honest, the story behind Rainbow Dash and how, later Scootaloo gave her the idea to go back and do some good... it nearly brought me to tears. I applaud your writing skills.

6541458 Hehe:twilightblush: That battle scene was pretty much me being silly.

Can I have a sequel? And a cookie?

6598322 I know it is late but *gives Cookie*

6637496 Yay Cookie!!!!!*squee!!!*

Yay! Another Disney story bits the dust I just did a review of this

Login or register to comment