• Published 15th Dec 2014
  • 5,721 Views, 277 Comments

Final Frontiers - Ferrous



Twilight just wanted a quick, easy way to check out a book or two from the Canterlot library from the comfort of Ponyville, but what she ends up taking out definitely didn't come from the library.

Comments ( 24 )

Was browsing my wishlist on steam. Nothing caught my eye. Been floundering for the past few days with nothing but headaches and sickness. And I come here just to check my tracking page. Lo and behold like 40k words await me for this. Hnnng I feel spoiled... Ahhh... Thank you ♥

9217000
Yeah, but... A 69K chapter? Can't you just split them up or something? Chapters shouldn't be the size of novellas.

9564507
Since that one I've been working on dividing chapters into segmented scenes where possible, and moreover focusing on trying to keep them down in size. Not always succeeding, admittedly.

9564471
Glad my terrible publishing rate lined up with something to be of use!

9564694
Hey I'm always glad to see this story update. As I've stated previously it is sincerely one of my most favorite stories if not the most favorite story that I have. Some get close but this one for some reason always stands out just that little bit more. But I am so hankering for some proper Lyra stuff once Titus gets himself out of his little current mess. After all we had a Twilight and a Luna mushy part "with hopefully more to come" but I can't wait for the Lyra one because of the actual personality you've managed to convey through her. Almost everyone else I've read just makes her out to be the village idiot/psycho/fanatic and never try to actually give her something more concrete :)

And dont' feel to bad about the publishing rate. It beats the "2000 word chapter" pushers out there who publish like ten chapters a day without any content. Not speaking of any particular story either just something I've noticed over the years. As they say! Quality takes time and patience ^^

Keep up the good work.

9571154
Thank you for the kind words, I love Lyra for being a blank slate to put my own characteristics on and I'm always glad to hear when someone enjoys her.


9566916
Thanks! Pinkie is probably the 2nd hardest character for me to write (Zecora being the first, I don't do rhymes) but I think I found a balance between goofy without making her stupid.

No I ment like punting with telekinesis as in tossing if she can lift a Ursa Minor she can lift some timber wolves

9589479
The Ursa was both a single target and rather stationary as it sat by and let Trixie try two spells without any sort of attack, as well as it also gave Twilight plenty of the time with its roaring and posturing for her to come up with a multi-stage spell to lull it to sleep and float it back to its cave. Comparatively, there are a pack of Timberwolves in close proximity dashing and leaping at her, actively trying to make her a meal, so there is no similar window of time to create a spell to deal with them all at once so she had to run. Simply put, she was caught off guard and had been out maneuvered - being down in the trench she doesn't have a good line of sight for a long-distance teleport but if she could have gotten that it would have created the distance from the pack where she would have simply turned and caught all of them in a single magic field.

You mean the talented unicorn that knows telekinesis like a hand can’t just slap the timber coming at her instead has the time to form a kinetic bullet

9590721
Yes, because without fallacies in magic (or characters) nothing is a threat or interesting. Twilight very easily could have dealt with them had she not been distracted by thought and in being so allowed them to get so close to her where they became a threat.

and blasted it to pieces when it landed with a spell she wasn't sure she consciously constructed or whether she had conjured it purely from fear.

That bit right there was saying she was acting on an adrenaline-boosted instinct of self preservation. The first one that leapt at her by itself jumped the gun and didn't work with the rest of the pack, which then came in with coordinated attacks and kept her on the defensive. I've explained how I have magic written and the situation Twilight found herself in so I don't know what else to tell you.

I just realized something... So this story is beyond 600.000 words. Which is amazing in its own right. I looked it up and on average a book is about 288 pages long or roughly 90.000 to 100.000 words front to back. You essentially wrote six books worth of content... Just a fun little thought I found out xD

9597602
I think you're counting the duplicate clop/clop-free chapters so it's less than that, but still. Jeez...

9600708
I was. Didn't want to do "that" much math lest I fry my poor brain... x3 Still that's impressive.

9613823
So. The moon horse still need to be slapped for not being diplomatic first.

Looking forward to the next chapter. Have been waiting for a while patiently and it will be good to see what transpires. And of course for Titus to kick some rear. No way have they "broken" him in the time they've had him.

9738471
He may be in for a struggle! The griffons have a small trick up their sleeve to help make him a bit more manageable and docile, but we'll have to see how effective it actually is...

Can't wait to reveal Lyra buckling down with her plan (which has some silly Lyra-esque elements, naturally) and then Titus actually cutting loose with what power he'll be able to tap into :pinkiehappy:

9741940
Cutting lose. Oh boy. They are in for it now...

9613823
Ahhh, but see, most stories have the locals trying to effectively steal/seize tech. If they could be trusted with it, they wouldn’t be trying to steal it. And that would also mean anyone from whatever advanced star nation coming along would likely view them as a threat. None of the locals ever have reason to believe that won’t happen. Besides, they can’t reverse-engineer something that is more advanced than they currently are. It’s common for writers to mistakenly have relative primitives reverse-engineering advanced technology.

Usualy i don't judge book by its cover bit, i have to admit that this cover art is simply EPIC. And from the description story seems interesting, ah well better get to reading i guess :derpytongue2:

Been a hot minute since the last update. Hope it is still being worked on :) I find myself returning to the story every couple of months as a bedside read among a few other stories I've taken a liking to.

And you never updated... :(

10902773

10697138

10484393

Been a hot minute (or several thousand) since a post, my attention shifted to another story. Not that I've forgotten about Final Frontiers!

Author last seen online over a year ago....... yeah gonna call this one dead, unfortunate as it is.

Login or register to comment