• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
I Establish My Denouement Before Breakfast

“Your Majesty,” a guard spoke in reverence, bowing low. “It is still incredibly early, and you have been through so much. I am certain the expedition will understand if you and the Queen wish to rest some more—”

“I will be the one to decide when I shouldn't be vigilant,” Lunarius said, his eyes nevertheless blinking blearily. “And that will be never.” He commanded the guard to rise and gestured down the long, palace corridor. “Let me meet with him now, for I must ascertain his health.”

“Very well, sir. This way.” The guard joined several other armored reindeer as they marched down the long hallway. At last, they entered the throne room which—just hours before—had been filled to capacity with members of the Val Roan elite. The King came to a stop, his muzzle agape.

In the center of the room, Secretary Sharp Quill stood, accompanied by Constable Jake. He pivoted about, and—upon first sight of the King—he attempted to bow low. However, he lost his hoofing, and he stumbled forward with a breathy cry.

Lunarius galloped forward and caught the elk. “Sharp Quill...”

“My Liege,” Sharp Quill wheezed.

“Are you malnourished?” Lunarius exclaimed, his usually stern expression replaced with concern and bewilderment. “You should eat!” He shouted towards a group of gawking servants at the far end of the chamber. “Prepare an ample breakfast! Swiftly!”

“I... I-I wished only to see you, Your Majesty.” Sharp Quill tilted his weak gaze up. “Only to know that... that the Royal Family was indeed safe.” He gulped hard. “Despite my failure...”

“No, old friend.” Lunarius squeezed the elk's shoulders. “No failure whatsoever. None of us foresaw how truly cunning and deceitful this foe would be.”

“Please...” Sharp Quill gritted his teeth. “Please tell me that you executed this beast...”

Lunarius took a sharp breath. “We have not.”

“But... why?!” Sharp Quill grimaced. “This... this shape-shifter has brought ruin to our kingdom! Even harmed your son!”

“There was no ruin brought to either my kingdom or the Prince,” Lunarius said. “And we owe thanks to a group of valiant heroes who are more than experienced in dealing with this monstrosity. It was the request of their leader, Rainbow Dash, that the creature's life be spared—so long as she cooperated.”

“Co... cooperated?”

“And she has.” Lunarius smiled. “She provided us the means of locating you, old friend.” His facial expression went tight again. “Only after depriving herself of the power necessarily to enact her fiendish plans.”

“Your Majesty... I mean no offense...” Sharp Quill gulped. “B-but... but you can't honestly expect to let her go free!”

“Not even remotely,” Lunarius said in a firm tone, helping the Secretary up to his hooves. “She is to be detained in the deepest dungeon of Val Roa. There, she's agreed to stay, and also provide us with the knowledge she's attained from a hive mind she once extended abroad. For the first time in millennia, Val Roa will achieve full clarity about the kingdoms beyond the seas and even the Grand Choke.”

“But... but how can you be so sure?” Sharp Quill stammered. “After all that she's done.”

“Well, you, for one, can be of great help to me, old friend.” Lunarius smiled. “You've had some... unique experience with this creature, I suspect.”

Sharp Quill shuddered. “And how...”

“Then, if you are willing, I would like to give you full authority in the imprisonment and interrogation of our former captor.”

Sharp Quill gazed at him with narrow eyes. “You know that my first act would be to execute her, yes?”

Lunarius shook his head as he led Sharp Quill into the adjacent hallway. “Oh, I doubt that very much, Sharp Quill.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I think you'll learn—from our other guests...” The King smiled. “...that there are greater solutions in this world than death. The Cartel? No... they proved incapable of diplomacy. But this creature... this Chrysalis? She has a heart, and—what's more—a humble willingness to serve us. What would we gain by destroying her when—instead—she can serve us... and the world in turn?”

“Forgive me for saying so, Your Majesty, but I've served as your adviser for a long time. And—quite frankly—I find that this doesn't sound like you.”

“A lot has happened while you were asleep, old friend,” Lunarius said. “And in that time, Val Roa has learned to embrace a new form of salvation.”

“And that is...?”

“Harmony, Sharp Quill. And—God willing—it has the power to transform continents. Now... in speaking of transformations... let's see about getting your health back on the right track. Servants? About that breakfast...


Chancellor Fishberry stood in her office, staring blankly at her desk and the window beyond it.

She took a long, deep breath, her ears folding back.

She heard a set of shuffling steps from behind, and she turned around to look in the dull gray morning light.

“Apparently the office switched five times since the real you sat in your chair,” spoke an elk in the doorway. “For once, that's a luxury that neither you or I have been able to afford.”

Fishberry's lips pursed as she squinted. “Arcanista? Duchess Arcanista?”

Arcanista strolled forward, her muzzle calm despite an inherent lack of sleep. “You look better than I imagined you would.”

Fishberry frowned. “Hrmmfff...” She pivoted back towards the desk. “I heard you were a key member in the 'Salvation of Val Roa,' as everydeer is already starting to call it.” She sighed, running her hoof over the wooden finish. “Did you come here to gloat?”

“No.” Arcanista took her head as she paced forward. “I came here to see how you were doing, assess the damage, and discover the future of the High Council's Chancellor seat.” A tiny smile formed across her muzzle. “And then I might gloat.”

Fishberry shuddered. “You should see the way everydeer looks at me. They can't seem to get it out of their heads that I'm the real Chancellor and that the pretender is now deep in a dungeon. And while it's all well-and-good for the Secretary to resume his position or for the General to regain the respect of his troops, my last real contribution to this kingdom was at least forty-two sessions ago. Laws have been ratified. Trade agreements have been rearrange...” She sighed heavily. “I'm so behind. Even if I could become Chancellor again, I wouldn't know where to begin.” She gulped hard. “They're going to choose someone else. I just know it.”

“Indeed.” Arcanista nodded. “They most definitely might.”

“Why would you—?” Fishberry's eyes twitched. She spun about, mouth agape. “Oh God. Don't tell me.” She squinted. “It's you, isn't it?”

Arcanista chuckled. “Oh no... no. That position would necessitate my abandonment of the citizens of Bountiful—which I simply cannot do. You of all elks should know, Fishberry, that the one thing I've ever wanted was a true representative seat in the Council.” Her eyes flared momentarily. “As the House of Sehlp has long deserved.”

Fishberry merely frown. “Bah... your brother...” She shook her head, grumbling to the shadows. “That damnable Duke was always too mischievous for his own good. Floyd was always sticking his antlers where they didn't belong. And as for the General's adopted daughter... heheh... well, we both know what else he stuck.”

“He's alive, you know.”

Fishberry gave Arcanista a double-take.

The Duchess' muzzle tightened. “You... are surprised to hear that?”

“And you're surprised that I'm surprised.” Fishberry blinked. “Duchess, I am no friend to the House of Sehlp, but when the Duke vanished—I was just as shocked and dismayed as you were.” She gulped. “You mean to say that Floyd is one piece?”

Arcanista sighed. “Half a piece. And... you truly do not know who extorted him into departing from Val Roa?”

“I...” Fishberry shuddered. “I may have once suspected deer or elk capable of stooping to something so low.” She gulped. “But that was then. This is now.” She hung her head. “I've no power to do much of anything anymore.”

“Well... power, you may not have. But you are certainly gifted.” Arcanista trotted over and rested a hoof on the other elk's shoulder. “If we were to combine our talents, we might be able to scoop out corruption from this kingdom once and for all.”

Fishberry gazed warily at her. “You would... enlist my assistance?”

“Why wouldn't I?” Arcanista smiled. “Regardless of our pasts, we both had a common enemy. Now we both have a common victory, and it is right within our grasp. Let us not let the Fall of Chrysalis go to waste. The High Council has been shaken at its core, and those who have been embezzling in the royal funds during the 'supposed deaths' of the King and Queen are likely to be panicking now that there's no young and impressionable Prince to manipulate. If we act soon, we can catch and uproot those who deserve their seats even less than the monsters that tried to undermine them. Now, what do you think of that invitation?”

Fishberry stared at her. Eventually, her ears twitched, and she broke into a meager smile. “A curious challenge indeed, Duchess. When would we begin?”

“Soon.” Arcanista winked. “Very soon.” She trotted off. “But, if you'll excuse me, I have a... breakfast to attend first.”

PreviousChapters Next