• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,094 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,094

PreviousChapters Next
Once Burnt, Twice the East Horse

Slowly, one lid after another, Rainbow opened her eyes.

The sky had glazed over into a dull brown. The desert felt stale, cool, and calm.

Wincing, the mare sat up. The dizziness was gone—as were the aching throbs in her skull. All she felt was a terrible stiffness all over her body. She realized she had collapsed there, lying on her back, muzzle tilted up towards the desert sun. She reached up and ran a hoof across her muzzle—instantly wincing from a burning sensation.

Rainbow let out a long, tired groan. She pivoted about and faced the tent.

It was still intact; just one side of it lay partially open. Dust and sediment had collected across the burlap edges, but most of the sand had remained outside. In fact, as Rainbow Dash looked around her, she saw occasional beds of dull brown sand having coalesced where the raging storm had last deposited them. It was violently jarring to see the immaculate face of the Grand Choke pockmarked so, but Rainbow hadn't the energy to shiver.

She stood up—again, wincing. As she stretched her limbs, she attempted to make an assessment of the time. Twirling about, she spotted the Yaerfaerda symbol lingering above the darker horizon. She realized that she must have been unconscious for over twelve hours.

A sigh ran through her. Rainbow brushed her mane back—again wincing from making brief contact with her sunburnt ears. She looked towards the western horizon. Thick clouds lingered, signifying the distant storm that rampaged its way opposite of where she was headed. The dense sky refracted the sun's rays, filling the atmosphere with a haunting orange glow that cooled into sickly vomit brown above her head.

In a few hours, it would be dark, and incredibly cold.

Rainbow Dash was sick of staying in one place.

Against her proper judgment, she pulled out the metal pegs, collapsed the tent, and gathered her things.


Rainbow Dash flew high through the troposphere. Night had fallen, and all she had to glide by was the luminescent cosmos. Her goggled eyes gazed east, and the frigid air of the desert was actually a welcome respite to her stinging skin. Occasionally she'd fly upside down upon hitting a draft, making sure her whole body was soothed by the bitter gales.

The starlight cast a sheen on random cloudbeds. The mists appeared before Rainbow Dash like silver spheres afloat in a black river. With expert pegasus precision, she spread her limbs out and scooped up as many beds as she could. When—at last—she had gathered enough of them, she squeezed the cloud, causing the moisture to condense and form into a singular sheet of rain. This, Rainbow flew through, delighting in the bone-chilling kiss of water. It soothed her aching limbs—at least for another hour, and then she continued her eastward plunge.


The next morning, Rainbow Dash lay on her side, propping her backpacks in front of her so that they formed a shadow in the rising sunlight. She inhaled a whiff of Nebulum and nibbled on a Heaven's Slice. It was hardly an enjoyable breakfast. The breaded mush rolled around her mouth with the grace of cardboard.

The mare sighed, her ears twitching—but still feeling somewhat singed. She sat up and craned her neck around the edge of her backpack, squinting.

The Yaerfaerda symbol hovered in the center of the burning horizon. Rainbow wasn't certain how she could tell the difference between it and purely blinding light. It was then that Rainbow realized that—had she indeed lost all of her senses—there would still be a part of Austraeoh that would be forced to know where the Yaerfaerda beacon was at all times.

This wasn't entirely a cheerful consolation.

Sighing, Rainbow nibbled on the last of her Heaven's Slice. When she felt appropriately full, she gathered her things, flapped her wings, and took off for the sky once more.


When night fell again, exhaustion had finally caught up with the mare. Undaunted, she glided on, following the lavender beacon that was ever receding.

Several times, the mare's eyelids succumbed to their weight, and she nodded off. All it took was a fresh gust of air, and she gasped, “waking up” in mid-flight while her heart pumped a mile per minute.

Regardless of the apparent danger in this, she still kept herself aloft. The silence consumed her, drawing her forward to find a break in it. She'd fly through any cloudbank she could find, wetting her ears so that the wind blowing past her burnt lobes made a whistling sound. If she concentrated really hard, it almost sounded like music.

Rainbow's eyes fogged. She mentally cursed at herself, rubbing her eyes and frowning. Cloud-level was not a good place to cry, and she knew it. The mare adjusted and readjusted her goggles several times—until Scootaloo's article had completely fogged, rendering them momentarily useless.

And yet, that wasn't what made Rainbow Dash retire for the evening. But, rather, the starlight had caught something down below. At first, Rainbow guessed that it was simply her imagination. And yet, as she tilted her head in order to catch the world below in her peripheral vision, she became aware of a strange... formation along the stone floor of the Choke. Silver etchings were highlighted by the starlight, and Rainbow was almost certain that she spotted winding, serpentine formations.

By this time, the act of yawning trumped the act of discovery. Disgruntled and exhausted, Rainbow Dash gave in, drifting down to the desert floor and laying her packs by her side. She threw a blanket over her aching body and turned over so that she slumped limply on the side of her figure that wasn't burnt. The mare was too lazy to pitch a tent, much less a fire. She was unconscious before she could count the twentieth strobe of Yaerfaerda since landing.


Rainbow awoke fitfully. Nightmarish visions combined an ash-dirtied village with a flaming airship. She shot up with a gasp, her bloodshot eyes quivering. After several seconds of catching her breath, she gnashed her teeth and collapsed into her blankets again. Sometime overnight, with enough tossing and turning, the sheets had become a mattress instead of a duvet. The mare was thankful that massive storms carried the dust of the Choke to far off locations, or else her skin would have been rubbed raw by dawn.

Rainbow gazed towards the sunrise, and only then did she remember the odd sight she had seen—or thought she had seen the evening before. On crackling joints, she stood up, taking one nervous step after another. She ascended a curved rise in stone, then looked out upon the east.

What she saw made her blink hard.

It was a canyon... or rather canyons. As the cloud of sleep dissipated from Rainbow's head, her eyes took in more and more of what lay before her. Within four hundred meters, the perfect, polished, and unblemished stone surface of the Grand Choke gave way, dropping into one of many enormous chasms that sliced into the earth, descending into incomprehensible depths. Rainbow became aware of a loud roaring sound, and she briefly looked left in right in search of the shadow of dragon wings. Instead—she realized—she was listening to the incessant noise of wind howling through the gargantuan ravines. It was both alarming and exciting.

That was the first time Rainbow felt awake in days.

PreviousChapters Next