• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,094 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,094

PreviousChapters Next
The Deer Prince and the Grasshoppers

“Morning!” an imp shouted at the bow to Haman's battleship. He spun around, opening his grimy mouth wide while pointing at the pulsating dawnlight rising in the east. “The Morning sun rises!”

Haman took a long, steamy breath. He spat onto the lid of his walker's metal panel and wheezed, “It's time.” He pivoted and motioned towards a subordinate.

A tall goblin besides Haman marched across the top deck, shouting commands to the workers. “All hands, prepare for battlestations! Set course for the southern edge of the deer capital! Maximum speed!”

“Aye! All skystone engines charged!”

“Weapons are fully modified to channel the skystone energy!”

“Reports coming in from the Alpha Vessel! They're fully rigged with skystone and ready to move out!”

“Affirmative!” The tall goblin spun towards Haman. “On your mark, big boss.”

Haman's mucusy eyes narrowed. “What are you waiting for, runt? Full speed ahead!”

“Full speed ahead!”

Along the port and starboard sides of the ship, the vessel's propeller engines died out, giving way to glaring skystone thrusters. The atmosphere heated up and the bulkheads rattled for a brief instant before giving way to a steady hum. With ripples of vaporous energy, the battleship surged forward. Off the starboard side, several hundreds of yards away, an identical battleship accelerated at a matching velocity.

Thus, in tandem, both goblin vessels roared north, illuminated by the rising sun as they scaled desert valleys and mountains, heading towards a splotch of bronze urbanity in the distance.

“This is it.” Haman produced a wide, slimy smile. “The end of deerkind, and the dawn of goblins.” He spat again. “I already relish the smell of their burning corpses...”


Prince Eine nodded off, his tiny body draped in rags as he curled his body into a stone niche between skyscrapers.

Just then, a series of hooves landed in front of him, scuffling across the concrete.

“Guhh—Aahh!” The fawn sat up, yellow eyes exploding wide.

“Mrmmmf!” Kera spat out a burlap sack and made a tattooed face at the monarch. “Calm down, will ya? It's only me.”

“Mmmmfff...” Eine leaned back, rubbing his face with a cloven hoof. “God in Heaven... I thought a reindeer had found us.”

“Don't be ridiculous.” Kera grinned proudly in the foggy morning light. “You think one of those possessed guards would have brought you food?”

“F-food?” Eine's stomach instantly growled. He stood up straight, nearly salivating. “You mean you found us something to eat?!”

“Did I find us something to eat?!” Kera squee'd. “You wouldn't believe my luck! I snuck up on this dark alleyway and an entire wall was covered with these suckers! Hah! It was like diving into a royal banquet!”

“These... suckers...?” Eine blinked as Kera dumped the contents of her bag right in front of him. He instantly flinched, tilting his disgusted face away from a veritable pile of carapaces and twitching insect limbs. “Good heavens, no!”

“Hey! Come onnnn!” Kera frowned, shoving several of the fat juicy grasshoppers his way. “I figured you'd at least be grateful. Especially after I went through the trouble of biting their heads off for you!” Her cheeks turned a little bit rosy. “Okay, in truth, I enjoyed every bite. But still!

“That was... abundantly k-kind of you, but I fear that I am incapable of devouring them...”

“What the hay, dude?!” Kera blinked awkwardly. “Back when you were the 'Royal Caterer's Son,' you did nothing but praise grasshoppers! You even claimed to have eaten some of them yourself, haven't you?”

“Well, yes.” Eine gulped. “But they had always been accompanied by an abundance of m-melted choclate.”

“Ugh... fine.” Kera plopped down across from him and unceremoniously threw two grasshoppers into her mouth, chomping away. “Mrmmmff... no wonder your kind becomes hemopheliacs. I mean... mrmmmf... with blood that thin... am I right?”

Eine's face grimaced. Nevertheless, his stomach growled again. Shivering, the little prince reached a hoof out from underneath his raggedy garments and plucked one insect off the floor. Cringeing, he held the thing up to his mouth and bit off a few limbs.

“Hah!” Kera gulped and grinned. “Nice try... but you'll never get to the nourishing pulp that way!”

“Pffft... ffftt...” Eine spat the combed limbs out like hairs stuck on his tongue. “N-nourishing... pulp...?” Suddenly, Kera's hoof lunged forward as if she was delivering his face a right hook. Instead, she shoved the remainder of the grasshopper deep in his gullet. Eine's eyes crossed, and he had no choice but to bite down. His nostrils flared, and he looked ready to vomit. Nevertheless, he soldiered on through, biting the insect's thorax to a fine mush before swallowing the nutrients with a modicum of difficulty. Once finished, he slumped over, his tongue hanging out as he wheezed nauseatingly.

“H-heyyyy!” Kera smiled proudly. “That wasn't so bad, was it?”

“Mrmmff... d-do forgive me...” Eine wiped his chin, shuddering. “I'm afraid that I'm not entirely accustomed to such a... rugged existence.”

“Meh. It's not rugged, dude. If anything, it's rather normal.”

Eine squinted at her. “You consider living on the street and dining on large insects to be normal?

Kera shrugged. “Hey, I can manage it. And I have for a long time. When the Noble Jury found me, I was pretty darn lucky. Heck, I still am. But I've always sort of known that any little thing would put me back in my place. Voila! Here I am again!” She munched on half of a grasshopper and gulped the morsel down. “Mrmmf... Survival takes effort. Even for a Prince! Or a King. I mean... you gotta struggle to find that sweet spot where you're in charge of an entire kingdom and yet earning their trust all the same. That can't be easy. Heck... can't be much fun either. I bet you don't get out of the palace much.”

Eine shook his head. “Not after my parents passed away.” He gulped. “But I've never questioned it. Besides, the Palace isn't exactly a prison. Between my luxuries and my literature and my resources, I'm quite fortunate to have the entire world at my disposal. I aim to utilize such gifts in ruling my subjects... only, I'm afraid, not much trust or authority has been granted to me.”

“Well, at least you're humble about it all,” Kera said. “All in all, you don't strike me as much of a pushover. So you've got that going for ya.”

“Erm... thank you.” Eine blinked awkwardly. “That's quite the charming compliment... I think.”

“Don't worry, Prince-o.” Kera smirked. “As soon as the Jury sweeps in and mops the floor with Chrysalis' horn, then you'll be sitting tall and proud on your throne once again, steering this whole kingdom to clear blue skies.”

Eine shuddered, staring up at the light cascading down the skyscrapers above them. “I would most certainly hope so.” All of the sudden, his ears twitched to the sound of distant shouts and tremorous mutterings. “Uhm... good Lord...” He grimaced in Kera's direction. “What on earth is all that racket?”

“I dunno.” Kera shrugged. “While I kept searching for grub, I heard the same thing. It's happening practically in every street.”

“Sounds... sounds like the citizenry...” Eine winced. “They sound so angry... and alarmed!” He gawked at her. “What in Heaven's name for?”

“You asking me?” Kera bit another grasshopper in half, shrugged, and said, “I think it's because their Prince was supposed to be coronated this morning. And instead... he's missing.”

PreviousChapters Next