• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,092 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,092

PreviousChapters Next
It Is Easier Eine Than Done

Deep inside the concrete bowels of the Val Roan military installation, Midnite Bastion peered her head around a corner. She saw a pair of reindeer guards trotting evenly down the hallway. Holding her breath, she ducked back behind the wall. She waited in dead silence.

Eventually, the guards found their way into an armory, fiddled with the door, and trotted inside for an inspection.

Seconds later, Midnite peered down the corridor once more. In the cold blue manalight, she found the passageway to be completely empty. Clearing her throat, she crept forward, motioning with a hoof.

On flapping wings, Rainbow Dash hovered alongside her. The two mares briskly rushed down the slightly sloped hallway, making their way towards a thick metal door with a complex locking mechanism.

“A combination?” Rainbow muttered. “Seriously?”

“Relax,” Midnite Bastion said, squatting before the door and rotating several dials in succession. “I have access to every room in this place, including the Wing of Valiance.”

“The what?

“The section that lies beyond this door,” Midnite said, nodding with her head. “It's where recruits go through their ritualistic meditation to become Soul Sentries.”

“So, we're basically waltzing right into the Soul Sentry nursery.”

“That's a crude way of putting it, but yes.”

“Aren't they—like—gonna detect us or something?”

“Doubtful,” Midnite said, shaking her head as she put in the last few combinations. “It's a long and grueling process. They're not fully equipped to utilize their untapped mana until they're out in the field.”

“Well, that's good to know, at least,” Rainbow said. She looked behind them, checking for guards at the far end of the corridor. “Seriously, though, what's with all the nations on this plane and their having big, heavy duty, super top-secret experimental facilities?”

“I've no idea what you're rambling about...”

“Next time I talk with Luna, I'm gonna ask her if there's a hidden base underneath Canterlot with—like—mysterious doom portals to other worlds or some crap.”

There!” Midnite stood up from the door and pressed her hoof to a cloven-shape impression. “Step... er... hover away from the door super quick.”

Rainbow did as she was told.

Hisss! Chtung! The barricade whirred open. A carpet of steam rolled out. Immediately, Rainbow shivered from a distinct chill issuing from deep within the Valiance Wing.

Horseapples... what, do they genetically breed dragons inside that place?”

“One would wish.” Midnite stepped forward, peering left and right. “Okay. The coast is clear.”

“Are they training Soul Sentries right now or what?”

“Yes. I-I think so.”

“You think so?”

“Look... let's just hurry, alright?” Midnite motioned her along. “Come on. There're several observation chambers. Assuming the physicians are understaffed, we might be able to seize a good vantage point.” She glanced back at Rainbow Dash and frowned. “Must you carry that thing around your neck?! I don't want it rattling and giving us away!”

“No. This thing stays on,” Rainbow grumbled. “Why don't you remove your own head while we're at it?”

“Tch...” Midnite galloped ahead of her. “Touche...


Floydien paced and paced inside his cell.

Jake stood outside the barred door, squinting up the dark chamber that led to the rest of the military facility.

Floydien continued pacing, his hooves making repetitive echoes against the cold, dank walls.

With a deep breath, Jake grunted, “If you want to climb the ceiling, you're gonna have to make a running start.”

Floydien scuffled to a stop, glancing up. “What what what?”

“Will you stop with the drunken ballerina routine, Floydsauce?” Jake grunted. “It's driving me insane. And that is saying something. Pumpkins!

“Surely the boomers would have returned by now,” the elk muttered. “How long does it take to spy on emerald shimmer glimmer?”

“Even with all the access and authority that Midnite has, it takes a heck of a lot to pierce that deep into a place like this,” Jake said. “And she's got a winged blue squirrel to foalsit on top of that.”

“Grnngh...” Floydien winced. “Don't spit that word.”

“What, 'foalsit?'”

“Slobbery boomer...”

“'Top?'”

“Slobbery boomer must stop spitting for one stabby second!” Floydien rumbled. “Yes yes yesssss...” He rubbed his aching forehead.

“... ... ...” Jake smirked. “Hrmmmph...”

Floydien squinted curiously at him.

“If I didn't know you better, Duke-o, I'd say you were concerned for the love of your past life.”

“Don't be full of gunk gunk,” Floydien grunted. “Floydien simply wants to get out of this dankness as soon as possible.”

“She'll be okay, Floyd,” the moose said. “So will your prancing sky pony friend. It's best to be optimistic, no matter how much it smells.”

“How much... it smells?” Floydien sniffed, then suddenly recoiled from the moose beyond the bars. “Spit!” He held a hoof against his nose, turning green in the face. “Aaaugh! The hairy boomer has no decency!”

“No, I had a great breakfast! A victory breakfast!” He turned and grinned at the vomitous elk inside the cell. “And now you're having it too!”

“Grnnngh... now Floydien wants to see Charcoal Boomer again!” He coughed and wheezed. “Just to up the chucks into her muzzle muzzle!”

“Hah! Damn straight, you do!” Jake tilted his drool-stained chin up with pride. “Yup. I minor'd in Cupid 101 for a reason, boyo...”


Midnite Bastion galloped through a door and swiftly ascended a dimly-lit flight of concrete steps. Rainbow actually had to struggle to keep up with her on flapping wings.

“Yeesh! Not so quick, girl!” Rainbow sputtered, darting around the corner with her eyes locked on the mare's dark tail hairs. “Who taught you to run, a pack of cheetahs?!”

“I've had to train myself all my life to be in peak physical condition,” Midnite muttered, breathing steadily. “Consider it a consequence of competing with a bunch of elks with legs twice my size all throughout foalhood.”

“How'd Saikano stumble upon you anyways?” Rainbow grumbled. “Did an eagle drop you on his skull?”

“Hmm. Cute.”

“I have a hard time believing that you see anything as 'cute.'”

“Well, consider yourself a first.” Midnite came to a sudden stop. The stairwell opened into a wide, dark corridor lined on one side with cold metal doors. “Okay, let me just...”

“What?” Rainbow hovered behind her, panting. “Just what is this place?”

“Shhhh...” Midnite strolled up to one door. She craned her neck, peering through a barred window at the top. Her ears perked up. “Okay. This one's clear.”

“Is it an observation room?”

Midnite opened the door with a pronounced squeak. She gestured. “Inside...”

Rainbow's eyes narrowed. “After you.”

“Hmmph...” Midnite blew some bangs out from over her brow. “If you insist.” She trotted briskly inside. Rainbow followed close behind. Soon, they both found themselves inside a tiny room furnished with low stools situated before a series of metal blinds that stretched across the full length of a wall.

“I don't get it...” Rainbow blinked. “What are we looking at? Or better yet... what are we supposed to be looking at?”

“Shhhh...” Midnite raised a hoof. “... ... ...do you hear that?”

Rainbow craned her neck. Indeed—thought it was supremely faint—she detected a dull reverbation, like chanting voices from beyond the wall. “Is... is it a ritual?”

“Most definitely,” Midnite said with a nod.

“You've... uh... you've witnessed this sort of a thing before, right?”

“Yes.” Midnite fidgeted. “Although... it's b-been a while.”

Rainbow flew forward, squinting at the blinds. Through the closed slits, she detected the faintest hint of a bright green light pulsing.

Midnite trotted up. She gestured silently at Rainbow, then reached for a valve. Rotating it, the mare parted the metal blinds. Instantly, the observation room was flooded with bright emerald light, and the sound of muffled voices wafted from a large chamber below.

Rainbow clenched her eyes shut, wincing from the brightness. Nevertheless, she flew up to the ceiling and opened her eyes, getting a good look at the room beyond. After several blinks, her jaw dropped. “Woah... uhhhh...”

Midnite was suddenly shivering. “Good God...”

“Is... uh...” Rainbow leaned towards her in mid hover. “Is that normal?” She gulped. “Tell me that's not normal.”

Midnite slowly shook her head. “I... I don't understand...” She grimaced. “It's not the same! I mean... it is, and yet it isn't. Those... those should be buffering crystals that's harnessing the mana. Not... not...” She gulped. “Just what are those things?”

“I'll tell you what's different.” Rainbow glared aside. “Chrysalis. That's what.”

Midnite turned to gawk at the pegasus. Together, both mares continued staring intently out the slitted window as the ritual continued below them.


“The truth is, Your Majesty, my... uh... my allies and I...” Kera fidgeted at the foot of the Royal throne. “...my smartest subjects accompanying me from Xona, that is...”

“Yes...?” Eine leaned forward.

“Well, we've gone over the observations we've taken of Val Roa, and we've narrowed the suspects down to three.”

“Suspects?” The Prince blinked curiously. “You mean the deer who could be your monster in disguise?”

“Right-o.”

“Wouldn't you think it's appropriate to tell me.”

Kera stared at him for a long time. At last, she sighed. “What the hay.” The filly shrugged. “Those grasshoppers were delicious, after all.”

“You don't think I'm some creature in disguise, do you?”

“That... depends...”

“On what?”

“On how you react to who I think they are.”

“And...?”

Kera pivoted until she was staring at him face to face. “Chancellor Fishberry...”

Eine listened, slowly nodding.

“...General Saikano...”

The Prince was quiet.

Kera rested her tongue against her teeth, then finally let it loose: “...and Secretary Sharp Quill.”

Eine was dead still, but there was a noticeably pale sheen to his visage. “That... is most intriguing.”

“Huh...” Kera blinked. “Not the reaction I was hoping for.”

“And just reaction did you seek?”

“I dunno. Shrieking? Running around and howling in terror?” She pointed. “Peeing in your Royal pantaloons?”

Eine winced. “I like to think that I'm far more composed than that.” He fidgeted. “And I don't wear p-pantaloons...”

“Well?!”

“Hmmm?”

“This isn't freaking you out at all?”

“Your Highness, the degree to which I'm capable of 'freaking out' is pacified by a proper use of logical judgment,” the Prince said. “It is simply... inconceivable that the long-loyal Royal Advisor of my family is actually a traitorous monster in disguise.”

“Yeah! I know!” Kera nod-nod-nodded. “That's what makes it freaky!”

“No, that's what makes it highly improbable,” Eine said. “Sharp Quill has done nothing less but sacrifice every ounce of his strength and intelligence to serve the House of Evo. Even if he was capable of usurping my place on the throne, there's nothing that he would accomplish with such a wildly melodramatic plot.”

“And why's that?”

“Well, the Legislature and the Military simply wouldn't let him accomplish it.”

“Right!” Kera exclaimed. “And with both Fishberry and Saikano in on it, they can make the impossible happen! And it's pretty dang sucky!”

“So now you're claiming that all three suspects are conspiring with one another?”

“Exactly!”

“But only one of them is the shapeshifting monster that you've been warning me about all this time!”

“Yes! Er... no! That is... maybe.” Kera winced. “Fact is, they're all working for Chrysalis! The Changeling Queen! And they're trying to bring you down!”

“If that's the case, why only suspect three deer? And why just those in particular? Just what specific evidence have your Xonan subordinates found to substantiate such claims!”

“Uhhhh...” Kera winced, glancing aside as she fidgeted. “Yeah, about that...”

“Your Majesty...” Eine sighed, trotting around her in loose, pacing steps. “With all due respect, I was initially enthralled by your claims, but now?” He slowly shook his head. “I'm starting to see how swiftly they're falling apart at the seams. For the most part, all you've got to give me is heresy.”

“But it's not! I swear it!”

“On what? I'm certainly not one to question your integrity, but when my kingdom's honor is at stake, I must have a firmer foundation to stand on.”

“Ugh!” Kera rolled her eyes. “You are—like—the most fickle Prince ever! Why'd you even bring me here?!”

“To ascertain the truth, of course. But right now, I'm finding it difficult to digest.”

“Maybe cuz you haven't swallowed it first, ya melon fudge!”

Eine turned, frowning. “You are asking me—without much concrete evidence—to suspect my own advisor, an elk who's been like an uncle to me all my life, of trying to take my kingdom away from me. Sharp Quill has been my anchor... my guiding light of emotional support, even in the depths of my anguish over losing my mother and father.”

“Yeah! But—like—that's how Chrysalis works! She gets at us emotionally! She feeds off of misery and love and sometimes both! I'm willing to bet that all the crud you've been going through has been nothing but food for her!”

“Through Sharp Quill...”

“If need be, yeah!”

“Your Highness, what if you're wrong?” Eine glared. “Can I afford to insult the only soul in all of Val Roa whom I trust completely?”

“What if I'm right?” Kera smirked. “Can you afford to be such a dumbass?”

Eine simply blinked at her, his muzzle agape.


“Hmmm?”

Silence.

“Is that a fact?”

More silence.

“I can't very well do much from here...”

Sharp Quill sat in his office, staring out the balcony with dull, distant eyes.

“... ... ...in that case, I should inform him.”

Silence.

“Very well. But you know that he is in session at the moment.”

With a deep breath, Sharp Quill closed his purple eyes. His forehead tensed beneath his antlers, and his lips moved on their own, as if pronouncing unholy words.

At last, his breath returned, and he murmured to the stale air.

“There is a problem,” the Secretary said. “It's the Duchess.”

Silence.

“No, she's not here. She's with Fishberry.”

More silence.

“I can't listen in. All I know is that she's stirring trouble. Can you send some sentries in to the High Council building?”

Sharp Quill's face winced.

“No, I can't tell you what to do then. Fishberry will likely have a solution, if you would just—”

There was a knock on the door.

Sharp Quill's ears twitched. He stood up straight.

“I must be silent.”

Clearing his throat, he turned around with a pleasant smile.

“You may enter.”

A servant stuck her head in. “Secretary Sharp Quill, sir?”

“Yes? What seems to be the problem?”

“Problem?” The doe shook her head. “No problem, sir. It's just that... well... the Prince has a guest.”

“A guest...?”

“Yes, sir.”

“I wasn't aware of a royal invitation being sent out.”

“I'm sorry, sir. Neither were any of us. But she's speaking with him in the throne room right now.”

“She?” Sharp Quill squinted. “Who, exactly?”

“Uhm... Her Majesty, Princess Kera Tin Mehjj of the Xonan Empire.”

Sharp Quill stared ahead. “... ... ...is that a fact?”

PreviousChapters Next