• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,101 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,101

PreviousChapters Next
Tearing Down the Very Last Bastion

“Midnite, please...” Saikano winced slightly, waving a hoof as he nearly bumped into her while trotting across the office of his apartment. “Would you... would you at least slow down?”

“I've got everything gathered just where you need it,” the pony said, dwarfed by the elk's shadow in the soft lantern light as she darted from pack to pack, rummaging through the contents and sealing them tight. “An hour before you go to inspect the caravan, I'll have a pair of servants carry them down to the wagon hold.”

“That's very nice of you, Midnite, But if you would just—”

“I've got your notebooks packed, along with your winter uniform for the trek uphill to Ether Point. Oh!” She spun about, grinning brilliantly. “And I even packed your saber! You know, the one with the silver hilt that you used to charge the insurgents of Teancum Hill...”

“Midnite...”

“I-I even polished it! That way it'll reflect the sunlight and act as a beacon across the thickest blizzard.”

Soldier.” Saikano briefly scowled. “At ease.”

Midnite bit her lip, immediately freezing where she stood. When she realized how rigid her limbs had become, she obediently—and nervously—let her limbs go slack, 'resting' where she lingered between her adoptive father and the entrance to the apartment.

Saikano took a deep breath. He adjusted his eyepatch, shuffled forward, and rested a warm hoof on the mare's shoulder. “Midnite Bastion...”

She gulped. “Y-yes, father?”

He peered at her with his good eye. “What are you still doing here?”

Midnite blinked. Her muzzle parted. “I... I-I only wished to help you prepare for your sojourn tomorrow. After all, you're in charge of escorting the prisoner to her new holding cell in the northern mountains and—”

“No, Midnite.” Saikano tilted his head to the side. “What I mean is: what are you still doing in this Palace? This Capital? This Kingdom?”

Midnite leaned back. “...Father?”

“You've done your duty for King and Country,” the elder elk said. “Not just recently, but your entire life.”

“I... I did everything for the safety of the Defense Ministry and—”

“No, Midnite.” He tilted her chin up. “That's not why you did what you did. That's not why you and I are standing here, talking to each other...”

She exhaled. Her lips quivered slightly as her eyes turned glossy. “I did it because I loved you. And... and I couldn't settle for anything less...” She sniffled. “Not even having a false you... no matter how... how much he...” She clenched her teeth, then avoided his gaze, shaking.

Saikano slowly nodded. “He could tell you in a few days what I never managed to say in decades.”

Midnite clenched her eyes shut tight.

“Midnite, when I first found you...” Saikano hesitated slightly, then continued. “I had every reason to escort you at the nearest foster home... to leave you in the capable hooves of the Val Roan Civil Services. But when I took the time to gaze upon you—a mere foal lost in the ruins of a town besieged by Green Bandits—I felt something. I.. I didn't quite understand it at the time. And it's not like I had any excuses. I still had both eyes then; my senses were intact. But the one thing I knew with absolute clarity was that I had to give you a safe and wholesome life. But... but for years I interpreted that as a regimental existence. And now... now I fear that what I shaped you into was something ideal... but not wholesome.”

“Father, I've been proud to serve under you all my life—”

“I know, Midnite—”

She took a bold step forward, shivering. “And I don't care if the position hasn't been filled by a pony before; I have what it takes to get promoted to a Val Roan general today! Even if it takes all my life, I'll make it there! I promise you!”

“I know that you have what it takes, soldier,” Saikano said with a weary sigh. “You have the intelligence, the tenacity, the intestinal fortitude.” He gazed upon her. “But do you have the desire, young one?”

Midnite merely blinked at him.

“I just spent the last several months... suspended in the filth of a metamorphic beast...” Saikano scowled briefly. “A creature whom the King has decided to spare for some infernal reason. I've wanted nothing more than to behead that Chrysalis. In many ways, I still desire it. But... but I realize now that I'm ignorant of something special... something beautiful that happened in my absence.” His good eye blinked. “A force of good came into this Kingdom, fully anticipating the evil that sought to undermine all that our fore-bearers had built here, and in the end these heroes chose mercy over annihilation. For that reason, Queen Chrysalis has been given a new lease on existence, and there's finally hope that the Southern Cartel will give up its viiolent ways.” He looked directly at her. “And you, my beloved daughter, was the spear of that heroic push.”

“Father—”

“You challenged every adversity that lay in your path. You utilized every lesson I ever taught you... even going so far as to value them above the facsimile that had taken place of me. I... I don't know of another soldier more dedicated... more trustworthy...”

Midnite gulped. “What are you getting at, Father?”

“Chiefly this...” He caressed her chin. “No promotion could ever possibly give you what you deserve. For so many years, I guided you along the only path I ever knew, but you're not me.”

“I've never minded, Father,” Midnite said. “Not once.”

“Are you certain of that?” Saikano squinted. “Even when I encroached upon your freedoms? When I stripped you of choice... and threatened those whom you secretly loved?”

Midnite closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. “The Duke of Bountiful...” She bit her lip, then muttered louder, “Floyd was a phase.”

“No, he was a slice of life,” Saikano said. “One I should never have robbed you of.” Saikano fought a wavery tone in his voice. “I... was cognizant in Chrysalis' prison, Midnite. I had time to dwell on life... death... and my love for you. And I've come to realize... th-that I built too many walls around my beloved daughter's world. Like the mountains that surround this Kingdom. A true defender is bound to her keep, yes, but for that to become a prison...”

“I know the power of sacrifice, Father.”

“But do you know the benefit?” Saikano smiled. “This Kingdom has been saved, and it's all thanks to you and the way you assisted the heroes from the west. I couldn't possibly be prouder of you... and I would hate myself forever if I only punished you instead of giving you the freedom of choice that you deserve... for yourself.”

“Freedom...?” Midnite blinked.

Saikano nodded.

“I... I-I don't understand, father...” Midnite gulped. “What is it do you want from me?”

He leaned in and kissed her softly on the forehead before stroking her bangs. “To live, Midnite Bastion. I want you to live.” He smiled painfully. “When I tell you 'at ease,' soldier, I mean it.”

Midnite's legs were weak at this point, as were her eyelids. Tears squeezed out as she murmured, “I... I-I don't think I know how to outside of how you've taught me...”

“You can find out. And I know who can show you.” Saikano continued to smile. “I... ruined his life, Midnite.”

“Father—”

“I did.” He clenched his jaw shut. “I falsified records. I cheated the system. And, worst of all, I lied and used my own daughter against him. And... and I drove him to madness.” He shook his head. “Who knows how much the House of Sehlp suffered. But that isn't of any concern to me. I only regret... h-how much I made you suffer.”

Midnite closed her eyes, shivering all over.

Saikano leaned forward. “Do you still love him?”

She sniffled. “Y-yes...” She wiped her muzzle dry. “...but I don't know if he even has room for me in his life anymore.”

Saikano patted her shoulder. “Then go to him. Find out. Discover. Explore.”

“But... but father...” Midnite squeaked. “What of you?”

“I can live now as well...” He smiled. “My pride for you knows no boundaries, so why should my body or spirit?” He winked. “If that's the part of me that Chrysalis' double used to reach in and find his own goodness of being, then perhaps it's what I should be dwelling on from now on.” He shrugged. “Or else, what would we have fought for?”

Midnite stared up at him. She bore a fragile smile, then fell forward, nuzzling the fuzz of his chest.

Saikano flinched just slightly, as if hugging his own foster child was a strange, alien thing. Nevertheless, with relative ease, he reached a forelimb out and held her close.

“I love you, Father,” Midnite murmured. “Forever and always. I-I won't let you down.”

He stroked his hoof through her mane and nodded into the lantern light. “You never have...”

PreviousChapters Next