• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 7,077 Views, 12,066 Comments

Yaerfaerda - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury continue to fly east.

  • ...
41
 12,066
 7,077

PreviousChapters Next
As Floydien Panteth Before the Water

"NOPE."

FLASH! A tree split down the middle.

"NOPE."

FL-FLASH! A patch of earth exploded into powdery dust.

"NOPE."

FLASH! A cluster of boulders exploded, showering Josho and Booster with pebbles.

"Gaaaugh!" Booster flinched, hiding behind Josho's large girth.

The older stallion side. "Elkmeister, what are you doing?"

Floydien spun about, his muzzle awash in a cold sweat. "Hunting!" Z-ZAP! He fired another beam of magical electricity into the wilderness, sending branches and leaves scattering.

"Uh huh... hunting for what?"

"Floydien doesn't know yet!" P-POW! A tree trunk exploded, its foliage collapsing in a heap behind him. The elk walked numbly through the scattering debris, his red pupils as small as pinpricks. "Boomers should stay away! Not safe in all the bang bang!"

"Yes... b-but what caused you to start in the first place?" Booster stammered, peaking a nervous smile from around Josho's shoulder. He waved. "We're your friends, Mr. Floydien! We've been through thick and thin together!"

Josho motioned with his neck. "What this punk here is beating around the bush to say is that you should spit out what caused you to go ballistic on the nature preserve!"

"NOPE." Fl-Flash! Acorns and pine cones fell like rain around the two flinching stallions. Floydien took his murderous march even deeper into the forest. "NOPE NOPE Nope nope nope..."

Josho stood dead still, his eyebrows straight as razors. He sighed while Booster pawed nervously at a blob of tree-sap sticking to his fetlock. "Nnnnngh..." The obese stallion facehoofed. "I only hope the others are making better progress than we are..."


Rainbow Dash, Bellesmith, and Pilate trotted slowly into the heart of the village. One of several ponies trotted up, carrying a basket over her shoulders.

"Oh! Strangers!" The mare grinned, cheeks warm. "How do you do?"

Rainbow and Belle exchanged glances. "Uhhhh..." Rainbow stepped forward, coiling her wings tightly by her side. "Could be better, actually."

"Awwww... well I hope your day gets better," the mare said. "Need directions?"

"Yes," Pilate nodded. "May I ask who's in charge around these parts?"

"My my, you are from out of town!" The mare cleared her throat. "That, of course, would be the esteemed Duchess Arcanista."

"You don't say?" Rainbow Dash craned her neck to the side. "And where might we go to... y'know... talk it out with this Arcanista?"

The mare pointed towards the ancient, decrepit wall forming a circle around the inner village. "Why, over in the Sehlp Manor, of course!" She giggled. "Along with the rest of the nobles. They treat us earth ponies wonderfully. It's all part of the Val Roan Code, of course."

"Of c-course." Belle smiled. "Thank you, ma'am. You've been very kind."

"What else are we on this earth to do than be kind?" The mare winked. "If you wish to speak with the Duchess herself, I'm sure one of the nobles beyond the Old Gate would be more than happy to arrange a meeting. She's... mmm... not very busy these days."

"I see."

"Say..." The mare leaned forward, eyes bright. "Are you the ponies who were inside that giant, gorgeous airship that crash landed in the forest just now?"

"Uhhhhh..." Rainbow Dash gulped, then smiled. "M-maybe?"

"How wonderful!" The mare smirked. "Welcome to Bountiful. I wish you three a good morning!" Then she and her smile trotted away.

Rainbow Dash watched her leave, an eyebrow heavily arched.

"I really like that name," Pilate said.

"Yeah, well I don't," Rainbow muttered.

"What's the matter, Rainbow?" Bellesmith asked.

"I dunno..." Rainbow shivered slightly as the group trotted through the half-broken arch of the old wall. Foals ran past them, giggling and chasing each other in the crisp sunlight through the lush trees. "I just get this really queer feeling whenever we stroll into a town where everyone smiles at us."

"We were treated like princes and princesses in Abinadi," Pilate said, smirking. "Did that disturb you so much then?"

"That was different. We were focused on bringing Elma closure." She winced slightly. "My bad. Lerris."

"Would you rather we be attacked by changelings or managliders in every town we visited?" Belle nudged Rainbow. "Hmmmm?"

"Mmmrnnngh... sometimes..."

"Awwww..." Belle giggled. "Rainbow..."

"Don't mind me," Rainbow muttered. "With Roarke not around, my cynical side is having to pick up the slack."

"I'm sure she misses you too," Pilate said with a smirk.

"Cut it out, Stripesy."

"What for?"

"You're not allowed to make my heart flutter at the drop of a hoof."

Pilate and Belle chuckled.

"Still..." Belle glanced across the peaceful, provincial town. "This truly is a peaceful place."

"Certainly sounds tranquil," Pilate remarked. "I've never heard this many ponies out and about this early in the morning."

Beyond the walls, the buildings were built taller with firmer foundations. The architecture instantly became wealthier, and there was an even cleaner smell in the air.

"I think this is—like—the rich quarter or something," Rainbow said. "Must be where the nobles live."

"Is it right up near the central manor?" Pilate asked.

"Uh huh."

"That would explain it."

"That's not to say anything bad about the rest of the town!" Belle said, turning to look behind her. "Even outside of the gate, things look prosperous. For a society built from the fringes of a feudal system, they appear to be doing quite well for themselves."

"Then we're struggling with quite the puzzle," Pilate said.

"How's that, beloved?"

"Just what on earth could have possessed Floydien to run the Jury aground from the mere sight of this place?"

Rainbow suddenly jerked to a stop. Her wings flexed and unflexed. "Don't look now..." She pointed. "But I think I found the puzzle's solution just now."

Belle craned her neck to see.

From across the way, a group of deer padded across the town lawn. They were all dressed richly in shiny clothes, and a few equine servants in browner drab followed close behind. A tiny fawn in a pink dress stumbled beside her mother. She turned to glance at the group, her little nose wriggling curiously. Not long after, the mother nuzzled her, ushering her into the store where they were headed. A pair of bucks in uniform trotted across the street, warily eyeing the strangers. Their branching antlers made stately shadows in the golden dawnlight.

Belle's lips parted. She gazed at Rainbow. Rainbow gazed straight back at her.

"What?" Pilate asked, ears twitching. "Are th-they hippos?"

PreviousChapters Next